Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33 pm 

I'm pretty sure one of the common Zer0 builds involves slag ninja stars + that health steal on melee + using stuff to massively boost your melee damage. Sniper builds are probably viable if you play mostly with a group I'd guess, but I'd doubt you'd ever get enough damage out of it to safely snipe your way through UVHM solo.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:41 pm 

Point taken. I'll see if I can get away with the sniper/melee hybrid in VHM, as I'm more of a "have fun with your build" rather than a "make sure every single skill point serves a higher purpose" kind of guy (some people would yell at me if they saw my Dark Souls builds :-P ). I'll eventually learn how much UVHM and I hate each other, I guess.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Ahhh I was under the impression that the control was the whole thing since it has a screen in it, much like gameboy or sega handheld, etc. A regular controller as well you say? Hmmm this is looking better by the minute.

Oh, no, it's not a handheld at all. The console does stream your game to the gamepad screen, if you want to play off-tv, but you still need to stay in range of the console - the gamepad can't run anything by itself. And yeah, the Pro Controller is a nice regular controller, but that's sold separately though. Nintendo sells refurbished Wii U's for $200 if you're interested, pretty good deal (though there could be a better one somewhere for Black Friday I suppose). That's what I have, they're like new (possibly just unsold stock).

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 am 

Is modding fully operational on Wii U though?

A Nintendo Wii is cheap as chips, like $50 now and if all he/she wants is retro games then better off with that, save $150 for a some new games for xbox/playstation.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 am 

:o :nono: Ocarina of Time would like to have a few words with you out back...

Haha. I got to the Water Temple, got sorta stuck/bored and never touched it again. Tried Twilight Princess a while later, but didn't get very far into it. I just get bored of the 3D Zeldas for some reason. Have zero interest in Skyward Sword whatsoever.

I guess they're not really bad games, but they're just... bland. Meh. Blah. I kinda prefer Zelda clones to Zelda games, honestly. Alundra > every Zelda game ever made, and y'all know it. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 am 

Hehe, if you still have a N64 and Ocarina of Time, I have no problem beating the Water Temple on your behalf. I'm called crazy for it, but it's my favorite temple out of all of them!

That said, I enjoyed ALTTP and Ocarina of Time, as well as Majora's Mask, but I have not been able to get into the others. I found Wind Waker's ocean sailing to be incredibly monotonous, and while I finished Twilight Princess it is easily forgettable. Haven't tried any of the newer ones.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Is modding fully operational on Wii U though?

Well, the Wii U has a Wii mode that does pretty much everything the Wii does (except read Gamecube discs...), including exploits to install the homebrew channel and such.

Quote:
A Nintendo Wii is cheap as chips, like $50 now and if all he/she wants is retro games then better off with that, save $150 for a some new games for xbox/playstation.

But the better games are on Wii U. :D

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:34 am 

The Wii U is awesome. So many great games for it.

At the moment, I'm not really too sure when I will get a PS4. My original plan was to get one next year for Bloodborne, but I'm happy enough with my 3DS, Wii U and 360.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Ahhh I was under the impression that the control was the whole thing since it has a screen in it, much like gameboy or sega handheld, etc. A regular controller as well you say? Hmmm this is looking better by the minute.

Oh, no, it's not a handheld at all. The console does stream your game to the gamepad screen, if you want to play off-tv, but you still need to stay in range of the console - the gamepad can't run anything by itself. And yeah, the Pro Controller is a nice regular controller, but that's sold separately though. Nintendo sells refurbished Wii U's for $200 if you're interested, pretty good deal (though there could be a better one somewhere for Black Friday I suppose). That's what I have, they're like new (possibly just unsold stock).

Ok sweet that's good to know. I'll definitely look into getting one soonish. I have a bunch of other games sitting at home I want to beat before I even think about buying.

Morrigan wrote:
:o :nono: Ocarina of Time would like to have a few words with you out back...

Haha. I got to the Water Temple, got sorta stuck/bored and never touched it again. Tried Twilight Princess a while later, but didn't get very far into it. I just get bored of the 3D Zeldas for some reason. Have zero interest in Skyward Sword whatsoever.

I guess they're not really bad games, but they're just... bland. Meh. Blah. I kinda prefer Zelda clones to Zelda games, honestly. Alundra > every Zelda game ever made, and y'all know it. :D

I've never played Alundra, or even heard of it for that matter. I'm a decent Zelda fanboy, I love everything up to and including OoT but after that me and Zelda don't really see eye to eye. Majora's Mask was super dumb and I never got very far into it and I've never played any of the ones for the handheld systems, only the major Nintendo systems. Twilight Princess was actually pretty sweet and challenging and they added a lot of cool features to the game imo. Plus the bonus boss fight you have to do to start a NG+ with special equipment is an epically hard fight so you'd probably actually like it if you gave it a shot.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Majora's Mask was super dumb

:nono: :fuck:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm 

:lol: Well it was. The whole concept of the game was/probably still is very off putting. I haven't tried playing it since it game out but as I don't have to means of trying again I'm sticking with super dumb.

Azmodes wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm 

I honestly never found the time/day cycle to be that interruptive, in fact the only time I got close to it inconveniencing me (by having to reset a large amount of work) was beating the ocean temple at 8 PM on the final night.

Plus I know everyone's already blown their loads over the amazing dark atmosphere, but it still holds true.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm 

i think the forest temple is the most atmospherically pleasing and makes the most sense as far as believable layout and flow is concerned. I couldn't beat the water temple without a guide. my sister had OoT down though, she could beat the entire game and get all of the hidden items, etc. just by memory. That still floors me honestly.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:40 pm 

^ Agreed on the Forest Temple, the sense of surreality and primal nature is just unbeatable, plus you're just coming off the major plot twist with pulling the Master Sword (which blew my mind as an 11-year-old, at least.) That said, Stone Tower is a close second, and I think MM's Ikana Canyon wins for best outdoor area - though I've only played the N64 games and Wind Waker.

Apparently on the Gamecube OoT Master Quest rerelease - which featured sharper graphics and more difficult dungeons - the Water Temple was actually made *easier.*

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:18 pm 

Dragon Age: Inquisition yanked from India because of a breach in obscenity laws, likely related at least in part to all teh iky iky gay zex.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

Or maybe they just want to protect their populace from shitty games

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Apparently on the Gamecube OoT Master Quest rerelease - which featured sharper graphics and more difficult dungeons - the Water Temple was actually made *easier.*

No way! I didn't actually have much problems with the Water Temple in the normal game, but the Master Quest one was hell. That was much worse that the original.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Vook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:10 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Dat superb Bioware writing, though:

"...some dialogue referencing sex/sexuality (e.g., "'I will bring myself sexual pleasure later, while thinking about this with great respect'" and "The way your t*ts bounce when I pin your arms and take you on the side of the bed…")."

Sorry, India.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

Skyward Sword was actually pretty sweet and challenging and they added a lot of cool features to the game imo. Plus the bonus boss fight you have to do to start a NG+ with special equipment is an epically hard fight so you'd probably actually like it if you gave it a shot.

I just started Skyward Sword and I'm enjoying it thus far. Twilight Princess was kind of bland and those wolf segments were just tiresome, but the new setting and mechanics in SS are pretty cool. I still don't feel like the games need motion control but it's integrated fairly well in this one.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 pm 

Ack! Did I say Skyward Sword? Sorry I was talking about TP, better go edit my post :boo: as I have yet to play Skyward Sword.

Azmodes wrote:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:21 pm 

Oh really? Ha! Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it at the time but Twilight Princess just didn't really engage me. Even if I picked it up again I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't care for those wolf segments.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:24 pm 

So Shadow or Mordor is...okay. Sure the graphics are good, and I like a lot of what it does like killing captains, captains getting stronger when they defeat you, that Arkham series but loads more awkward for some reason fighting system etc. But so far those graphics aren't being put to much use as all the environments look the same, there's a SHITLOAD of glitches, getting stuck on/in walls, Talion diving into a group of enemies instead of climbing something right in front of him when stealthing etc. I don't appreciate the Ass Creed elements at all. Also I don't know why it takes like 4 seconds for an Orc who's looking directly at me to get alarmed and shout out. But hey, i'm still overlooking those things and more because it's still mostly fun and it's a friggin' Lord of the Rings open world game.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Combat bad, game gorgeous, writing good (infinitely better than the Mass Effects), voice acting staggering (Indira Varma AND Ramon Tikaram both as major party members? Fuck yeah). But yes, the combat is worse than even I thought it would be.

But failsafeman, you liked Skyrim on release and Mass Effect 1-2.99, so you haven't a leg to stand on :P .

Shadow of Mordor was very, very cool looking but it was pathetically easy and the story was grimdark AND idiotic, which is a deadly combination especially when you consider it's TOLKIEN. Pillage and videogame-ify R.A. Salvatore or Terry Goodkind all you like (in fact, that would probably only improve them), but if you're fucking with Tolkien you've got to be very, very good. And Shadow of Mordor was not. Also, the Andy Serkis stand-in was painful and made me sad.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Combat bad, game gorgeous, writing good (infinitely better than the Mass Effects), voice acting staggering (Indira Varma AND Ramon Tikaram both as major party members? Fuck yeah). But yes, the combat is worse than even I thought it would be.

But failsafeman, you liked Skyrim on release and Mass Effect 1-2.99, so you haven't a leg to stand on :P .

The difference is those games have actual good gameplay. I don't give a stolen shit about the quality of the voice acting. And I'll fuck myself with a rusty fork before I play another watered-down RPG set in another watered-down Robert Jordan fantasy setting, which is itself already watered-down Tolkien. I don't even like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 all that much for that reason already despite the far superior gameplay, so Dragon Age can go rot.

Jesus, I feel embarrassed even just typing "Dragon Age".

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:41 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

No way! I didn't actually have much problems with the Water Temple in the normal game, but the Master Quest one was hell. That was much worse that the original.

Well, admittedly my only source for that is TvTropes, so who the hell knows.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 pm 

Mass Effect (2-3) has watered-down Gear of War gameplay and Skyrim... barely even has gameplay it's so embarrassingly simplistic and unfun. Origins is sort of a mash-up of Baldur's Gate and WoW, with wildly mixed results, but there is actual challenge, pre-planning, statistical calculations and a helluva lot of variables to keep track of.

You realize that the appellation "Dragon Age" is tongue-in-cheek, yes? I'm not saying the world is some masterful creation, but it wears its origins (heh) in brightly-stitched patches on its sleeves, and to dismiss the collected works of like 50-60 different authors (of varying talents and abilities) is... is... It's exactly comparable to someone who says, "The entire Expanded Universe of Star Wars is dogshit; everything is sub George Lucas who himself is a sub Campbellian rip-off." I mean, really? Given that I was the person who said that 4 or 5 years ago... is that really who you want to be compared to? :P

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Mass Effect (2-3) has watered-down Gear of War gameplay and Skyrim... barely even has gameplay it's so embarrassingly simplistic and unfun. Origins is sort of a mash-up of Baldur's Gate and WoW, with wildly mixed results, but there is actual challenge, pre-planning, statistical calculations and a helluva lot of variables to keep track of.

Well, it might have watered-down Gears of War gameplay, but I never played GoW so I wouldn't know! And I don't know what to tell you, I had fun playing Skyrim. I mean yeah it had problems for sure, but when I say gameplay I also mean exploration and stuff, not just the combat.

darkeningday wrote:
to dismiss the collected works of like 50-60 different authors (of varying talents and abilities) is... is... It's exactly comparable to someone who says, "The entire Expanded Universe of Star Wars is dogshit; everything is sub George Lucas who himself is a sub Campbellian rip-off." I mean, really? Given that I was the person who said that perhaps 4 to 5 years ago... is that really who you want to be compared to? :P

...except the entire Expanded Universe of Star Wars IS dogshit story-wise, so I don't get what your point is.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 pm 

...there was never a single thoughtful story thread or character in everything that ever had to do with the EU ever? I mean, I never read them myself because my parents wouldn't allow "dimestore" books (their words) near me until after high school, but I have friends who aren't dumb who say aspects of some of them do have merit even to this day. But IDK. A lot of my friends also like Batman.

The fun of Dragon Age comes in the details, not the broad strokes.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm 

I take offense to your Batman-less ways, Darkeningday.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Yeah I don't doubt it has high production values and some clever writing here and there, but if the concept itself doesn't appeal at all to me, why should I give a shit? I have tons of far better RPGs I could be playing.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Shadow of Mordor was very, very cool looking but it was pathetically easy and the story was grimdark AND idiotic, which is a deadly combination especially when you consider it's TOLKIEN.

Is it mostly the idiotic thing or the grimdark thing? Because The Children of Hurin involves genocide, suicide and incest. Not really sure how you get much more grimdark than that.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Yeah I don't doubt it has high production values and some clever writing here and there, but if the concept itself doesn't appeal at all to me, why should I give a shit? I have tons of far better RPGs I could be playing.

Fair enough! It's far, far away from perfect but especially this latest one looks and sounds pwetty and the non-random loot, complete lack of level scaling in enemies, and hugely varied, handcrafted locales makes exploration far more rewarding (for me, at least) than something heavily procedurally generated like Skyrim. They're both just massive timesinks when it comes right down to it, though.

Earthcubed wrote:
Is it mostly the idiotic thing or the grimdark thing? Because The Children of Hurin involves genocide, suicide and incest. Not really sure how you get much more grimdark than that.

The impetus of the whole plot is ripped straight out of AssCreedII (which itself ripped it off of Gladiator which I'm sure ripped it off EVERYTHING ELSE EVER) where your family is killed in front of you, and on begins an epic quest of revenge and yadda yadda yadda...

I never read Children of Hurin though and I'm not sure why.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 am 

I've been playing Dishonored and I just got to the twist. I see people complaining about how predictable and cliche it is, but I have a different problem with it. I had to pause the game and scratch my head for a moment.

Spoiler: show
How are they planning to present Corvo's body and claim the glory of having eliminated "the Lord Regent's assassin"? Surely Emily would have something to say about that. I guess they could try to manipulate her into believing Corvo was in on the assassination somehow but... no, fuck that, because that's ridiculous. They also might want to somehow convince the Lord Regent (who is still alive in my game) into promising he won't confess to setting Corvo up. Oh, and re-infiltrate Dunwall Tower to remove the letter in the Lord Regent's chamber which incriminates Daud as the assassin.

And while my mind is still trying to figure this mess out, the Outsider starts talking about how my friends tried to kill me and then dumped me in a river. No? Samuel dumped me in the river to save my live. Why dump me in the goddamn river in the first place, instead of somewhere more safe and secure? Why not warn me about the plot to poison me instead of just allowing it to happen and then apologizing? He's going to be wanted by the Loyalists once they discover that my body has went missing anyway, so what the fuck?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:34 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
I've been playing Dishonored and I just got to the twist. I see people complaining about how predictable and cliche it is, but I have a different problem with it. I had to pause the game and scratch my head for a moment.

How are they planning to present Corvo's body and claim the glory of having eliminated "the Lord Regent's assassin"? Surely Emily would have something to say about that. I guess they could try to manipulate her into believing Corvo was in on the assassination somehow but... no, fuck that, because that's ridiculous. They also might want to somehow convince the Lord Regent (who is still alive in my game) into promising he won't confess to setting Corvo up. Oh, and re-infiltrate Dunwall Tower to remove the letter in the Lord Regent's chamber which incriminates Daud as the assassin.

And while my mind is still trying to figure this mess out, the Outsider starts talking about how my friends tried to kill me and then dumped me in a river. No? Samuel dumped me in the river to save my live. Why dump me in the goddamn river in the first place, instead of somewhere more safe and secure? Why not warn me about the plot to poison me instead of just allowing it to happen and then apologizing? He's going to be wanted by the Loyalists once they discover that my body has went missing anyway, so what the fuck?

Even if Emily didn't believe the Loyalists at all, it'd be pretty easy for them to to tell the public "oh, she's just a sad delusional kid who can't believe her father(-figure) is really a crazed murderer," especially since they're still the "good guys" in the public eye. If the Lord Regent lives, it also means the public knows he's directly responsible for the death of two-thirds of the city, so he's probably going to be put to death or tortured beyond the point of coherency pretty quickly, which the now-empowered Loyalists could arrange ASAP.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

Well, admittedly my only source for that is TvTropes, so who the hell knows.

Aside from a couple rooms...
...that throw THREE stalfos at once at you...

...it's not all that bad actually.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 pm 

So, I just got Pokemon Alpha Sapphire that released today (because apparently I don't want to have sex in a few months), and while it has been good so far, I'm not nearly as overjoyed as I was for the XY games. Here's hoping this will pick up soon. In any case, I've gotten somewhat decent as a competitive battler so the game doesn't really start for me until the end credits, haha.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 pm 

I honestly thought SoulSilver/HeartGold were the series highlights (best overall generation + all the strategic complexity of the new generations) so I'm curious to see how the gen 3 remakes turn out.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 am 

I was disconnected from the series for a few years (so I'm not gonna say "this generation is better than this one") but I thought Ruby/Sapphire was a low point, really. For some reason, though, I got really hyped over XY when they came out and those greatly surpassed my high expectations. But, going from that to what was my least favorite gen (out of those I've played through) is jarring. I'm just looking forward to the move tutors (absent in XY) and the new megas. I'm already thinking what I'm looking to use in battle and what threats must be identified.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:16 am 

I'm interested in playing the new Pokemon simply for the fact they're remakes of older games. That whole X and Y seem far removed from the Pokemon I grew up with.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 am 

I'll probably get Pokemon at Christmas. I've only missed out on one Generation so far. I agree with Nochielo about Ruby/Sapphire being the worst gen. There's too much water in the map. Not to mention Tentacools and Zubats are fucking everywhere.

Speaking about the newer ones, I'm not really into the Mega Evolutions. I'd rather they just be standard evolutions. I was kinda disappointed by the lack of new ones in X/Y. I really enjoyed playing it however.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637, 638 ... 940  Next