Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Nomura, you mean, for that last one. :P Ugh, what a shitty artist. FF7 had good character art.... and then everything else he ever did was utter shit.

Haha yeah I was kidding with the last one. It's just the poster child for "Final Fantasy gone too far" character art. Anyway Amano did still have a fair bit to do with the character art to FF7 - he wasn't the lead guy but he did quite a few early sketches of Cloud, Sephiroth, Red XIII, Tifa, and a few others, so it was more collaborative I think. Really his style was more suited to sprites. It would be very hard to get his character designs looking right in early 3D. Maybe now they could do it with some kind of stylized quasi-cel-shaded type thing, but Amano is long gone by now. I actually picked up a couple of art books of his, not game related but stuff he showed in galleries. Really awesome stuff.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:41 pm 

If you haven't, you should watch Angel's Egg. Directed by Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, etc). It's one of the weirdest anime movies I've seen with almost no dialogue, but I loved it and it had Amano character designs which made it even creepier. Kind of glad he didn't do much with anime, because it makes that stand out that much more. Think he did some stuff with Vampire Hunter D too though? Or I could be wrong.

I like him but I'm bigger on Yoji Shinkawa of Metal Gear fame. Also, whoever handled the art direction and such in the Japanese Silent Hill's deserves a couple dozen trophies too. It's almost entirely the reason why I still haven't been motivated to continue on and check out the other games. I've seen videos of the newer ones, and the PSP ones, and just... what the hell happened to the awesome crazy art direction and atmosphere.

I agree Numora's FFVII art and concept stuff is pretty cool. After that, he drowned in belts. FFVIII was fine too I guess, but weirdly realistic compared to the rest. But yeah, I want to throw up thinking of him as an "artist" of any kind.

I'd say Akihiko Yoshida is a good one for some good FF/Square art. He did FFT, Vagrant Story, etc. Cool stuff.
Spoiler: show

I guess Yasuyuki Honne and Tonny Waiman Koo did Xenoblade? I'm not positive, but I think the game has some incredible art and I personally liked the character designs a lot, probably the best in the Xeno franchise to me.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 49ih7s.png
http://i1.minus.com/ibc7Xs3h64LA9g.jpg
http://japandaman.com/wp-content/upload ... _cover.jpg
http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/im ... rt_-_3.jpg
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/wp-cont ... work-8.jpg

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:13 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
If you haven't, you should watch Angel's Egg. Directed by Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, etc).

Ehh....
Quote:
It's one of the weirdest anime movies I've seen with almost no dialogue,

Okay that settles it. *Adds Angel's Egg to list of stuff to never watch* :P

Quote:
I'd say Akihiko Yoshida is a good one for some good FF/Square art. He did FFT, Vagrant Story, etc. Cool stuff.

Yoshida's art in FFT and Tactics Ogre is god-tier... then he did Bravely Default which makes me want to barf. Why, why, why.

Quote:
I guess Yasuyuki Honne and Tonny Waiman Koo did Xenoblade? I'm not positive, but I think the game has some incredible art and I personally liked the character designs a lot, probably the best in the Xeno franchise to me.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 49ih7s.png

Oh BARF. The Xenoblade character art is fucking awful. Sorry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So uh... no discussion about the new Doom?

I saw the teaser clip, which doesn't really show anything at all. Some of these discussions are encouraging, but I don't know what I think about the melee 'finishing moves'. That worked for the Brutal DooM mod, but I don't know how it is going to gel in a standalone, modern title.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:54 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Have you not played Xenosaga Kahalachan? I know Morrigan and most aren't a fan, but I would argue that the second disc of Xenosaga III is arguably even better than most of Xenogears. But can you get there? lol. The scope of Xenogears is huge enough, but Xenosaga is on another level since it's galactic sized and every single character almost has their own "final villain" antagonist (this is why the final stretch of III was so good to me, it was like 5 final boss confrontations in a chain reaction of final dungeons. And the ending was insane).

There are many things I like more about Xenosaga because it's even more sci-fi. But it can be a battle to get through the actual games. Its greatest issue is that it simply is 3 very different games. It doesn't help that some VA's were changed across the games too, II has some different VA's but some of the originals came back for III. That bugs me.

I replayed 1-2 two years ago and have to say that the first has aged horribly. Many will still claim this might be the best one, but trust me on this. I've got serious questions as to what the hell happened with a few things, namely the music. Where is the music? There is literally almost no BGM whatsoever in a lot of dungeons. And there is ONE battle theme for the ENTIRE game until the final boss. It got old. And this is Mitsuda talking. My only guess is that he had a month to compose the entire score or something. It seems so rushed. The combat wasn't very good because halfway in you have to rely on these combo attacks that hit everything and those animations got really old and dragged. Battles were really stretched out for all the wrong reasons. They also messed up the mecha, you can switch to it in normal battles but the way it works is just really wonky and they're best saved for bosses.

Another big issue to me is that it focuses mostly on the heroes, whereas Xenosaga II-III get more like Xenogears and develop the antagonists and focus on tons of different characters. In the first game the "Gnosis" were a main enemy force... but they are lifeless with no face, so they're just a boring monster force with no personality or character.

This is when you can really see Takahashi's style shine through though with the cutscenes. I've always thought Monolith Soft were really good with them, the action scenes, camera angles, etc, same with Xenoblade, they're just always really captivating.

Then there's Xenosaga II which took me about 10 years and 3 attempts to finally appreciate. Now I've run through it twice so I'm a big fan, but seriously... this game utterly fails at explaining its own battle system. It was a pretty weird and different system where you would "hold" on turns to stock them up, then unleash a chain of combos while knowing the enemies weaknesses to really get them. A friend of mine wrote up a guide about it and once I got the hang of things, the gameplay actually turned out to be a lot of fun. Here, the mecha battles were separate from the main battles like Xenogears again. But you could only have two mechs at once. Still, I was happy to see them separated again.

ALSO THIS IS WHEN CITAN RETURNS. Okay, not literally, but basically. Jin, the main characters brother comes in at this point and is a game changer character. It's awkward as hell going back the first with him not being there, it's such huge void. My only complaint is he wears a kimono in the second game, so it looks kind of hilarious. He's got an outfit and look that's straight up Citan in the third game.

This is when the cutscenes get even better and the game focuses on a villain that eats Kefka for breakfast. The game is a lot shorter than the first, but this story arc is a huge high point for me in the franchise. It also luckily doesn't focus much on the characters that had VA's switched, so that's nice.

Have you ever played Dragon Spirit? lol, this game did away with Mitsuda and brought in an old school composer (with shmup roots) that gave the game a more trance/techno flavor, but I think it fits really well actually. Then they had some anime composer for the cutscenes and story bits, whom takes over completely for episode 3. For better or worse in some parts, I feel like II has a different vibe than the others that actually fit its world best and sets it apart from Xenogears/Mitsuda. All around the music is arguably more "game like" too than the third game, those movie/anime composers don't always work. III's music is still good, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdqBv-KTrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl6F1WkM9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STGNIDZAT8s

Here's a favorite from III, you can easily see a difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LId8l6Rc6Y

Finally, the third game does everything right. It has a traditional battle system best comparable to FFX (character switching included) and is a lot of fun. The mecha battles are also hands down the coolest in this one and most similar to Xenogears, and you can now have three mecha per battle. The graphics are really damn good and caught me off guard when I revisited it again. The better VA's return. And the entire second half is mind melting. But... who made it to this? Who still cared after the hit or miss first two games? It's a shame, I'd say this is easily my favorite JRPG on the PS2.

Also, despite being under Namco and not Square, Xenosaga III's ties into Xenogears are hilariously point blank. So fanboygasms included.

In the end though, if anything the game does have a Bible sized database written by Takahashi himself that covers the events and history of the games universe probably even more than the first two games even did. So essentially, you could skip the first two if you can't get through them, and still get a lot out of III.

I like how the series also has robots, cyborgs, androids, and clones. It's just chalk full of any sci-fi trope imaginable.

If you really liked Xenogears, Xenoblade, and have a fetish for Takahashi though, then I can't recommend them enough. Xenogears gets nutty with the duality and persona stuff, whereas Xenosaga probably gets a bit crazier with the Bible stuff which I always think is cool in crazy things like this. I loved Xenoblade's story, but it is absolutely childs play in comparison. So if you want something that's equally as complex as Xenogears or even more so, Xenosaga is out there. The world is on the line in Xenogears. In Xenosaga, it's the universe. I'd obviously recommend starting with the first and maybe your experience will be different. But yeah, don't forget III is pretty good on its own.

They aren't insanely long either, I'd say:
Xenosaga ~ 40 hours
Xenosaga II ~ 20-30
Xenosaga III ~30+

It's humorous to imagine Xenoblade took me as long as them combined, but had 95% less plot. lol

I have a hard time saying which I like more between Xenogears and Xenosaga. Xenogears has its budget issues too, though the second disc doesn't bother me... it's insane to imagine what more it could have been. But the one thing it obviously has above Xenosaga, is that it's a one package deal.

I feel like the only one in the world who has enjoyed and beaten every Xeno. Takahashi has stated that the new Xenoblade will be more adult oriented, so I hope the story is crazier again. Seriously he sounds like Xenoblade was an afterthought joke to him with barely any thought put into it. And the story is pretty cliche, but I feel the execution was so damn good, so it was still engaging. Damn I can't wait to see what they do with the next one with him getting crazier with it, bringing back the mecha, a bigger budget, etc fuck yes.

I'll probably try it sometime when it's available. If I can find a copy or if it's on the PSN or something. And after I clear out my backlog. I'm very happy with Xenoblade and Xenogears and am willing to try Xenosaga. The music seems good.

It's a shame that the Xeno series ends up being an unfinished product. Well Xenoblade is complete. 100 hour long game and it tells a complete story with no obvious budget cuts. Hopefully Xenoblade X is a completely finished product too.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:11 pm 

Xenogears was "Part 5" of something I think (or was it 4, in the credits? lol), and Xenosaga was supposed to be at least 6 games.

Yeah, I think they learned their lesson after 4 games. lol...

The funny thing is Shion's part in Xenosaga was only supposed to be two games, then there was going to be a huge time leap covering some war with the Gnosis I think, then a remake of Xenogears essentially, and then something else. Wish I could find the exact quote I had, but it was nutty how crazy they wanted it to be. Either way, it works out in a way with the trilogy being a complete part of the huge saga they wanted to tell.

Diamhea wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
So uh... no discussion about the new Doom?

I saw the teaser clip, which doesn't really show anything at all. Some of these discussions are encouraging, but I don't know what I think about the melee 'finishing moves'. That worked for the Brutal DooM mod, but I don't know how it is going to gel in a standalone, modern title.

Yeah this really worries me too a bit. I want to hold down the triggers and blow up things left and right, not stop and watch some chunky POV melee animations. Pretty skeptical about that. Maybe it'll be good though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm 

I own Xenosaga I, and I remember having mixed feelings about it. Similar to Legend of Dragoon, I like the idea behind the combat system but it ends up being needlessly repetitive as the game goes on. I liked the design and overall look of everything, though certain obvious things like MOMO were really goddamn stupid. I remember certain cutscenes going on for what felt like six hours at a time, but the cinematic nature of everything being very well done, regardless of how excessive it was. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I know I have a save file before a major boss battle that would constantly curbstomp me, and if I'm not mistaken, when I looked at a guide to see why I was getting obliterated so quickly every time, I saw that A) I couldn't go back to buy much needed items and B) it was the second to last boss. I may be remembering those two details incorrectly
it's been many years, but I remember it being in a church or something inside a simulation?
, but it's still really disheartening because it's a goddamn Xenogame which means it'll take eons to replay up to that point.

I only skimmed Xeo's monstrous post, but I recall him mentioning something about the villain putting Kefka to shame. All I'll say in response to that is that the scene between MOMO and Albedo, when you first really get a glimpse of what he's like, I had to sit in complete awe in front of my TV for a few solid minutes, just staring with my jaw agape. It's really not a secret that I love me some over-the-top hot ham and cheese, and holy FUCK did Albedo deliver that. I want to continue the games not out of any real interest in where the story is going or because I care about Shion and the rest of the crew at all, but purely because I just want to watch three full games worth of Albedo losing his shit. I want to see the extent of his crazy.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:07 pm 

I never got very far into Xenosaga II because holy fuck the new art style was shitty (it's like the first game, but *realistic*!) and the combat system was assy, but I did enjoy Xenosaga I quite a bit (though the mech combat just felt tacked on--heck, it felt off in Xenogears, too, but it fit the story at least). The final boss fight was a major bitch, yes, but there are a couple of extremely douchey cheese tactics hiding throughout the game.

Aside from its useless mech system, unskippable cutscenes that make curbstomp bosses even worse, and somewhat overwrought dialogue, the big problem I had with Xenosaga I was that half of the party members were weak-ass bitches. Shion was a damage machine, KOS-MOS was a goddamn damage factory, Jr. was awesome, Ziggy was awesome, and then Chaos and MOMO are supremely shitty. I really wanted to like Chaos, but his combos did maybe a third of the damage Shion's did, and that's just no good.

On a side note, I'd love to see Xenogears get a remake, with the graphics smoothed over (maybe go for a cel-shaded approach like Ni no Kuni?) and the translation hammered out. And with Disc 2 actually finished. And with the mech combat actually mirroring the hand-to-hand combat. And with the music entirely unchanged. That'd be great.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 pm 

I'm sure Square Enix will get right on that and change it to Final Fantasy Gears replacing Fei with Lightning and more belts and an awful rewrite with horrible dubbing.

lol. Thank goodness Monolith Soft isn't with them anymore. I don't see it here, but I never get when people want more Chrono too. Seriously, what are the chances modern day Square Enix could live up to that legacy? It'd be horrible, haha...
BastardHead wrote:
I only skimmed Xeo's monstrous post, but I recall him mentioning something about the villain putting Kefka to shame. All I'll say in response to that is that the scene between MOMO and Albedo, when you first really get a glimpse of what he's like, I had to sit in complete awe in front of my TV for a few solid minutes, just staring with my jaw agape. It's really not a secret that I love me some over-the-top hot ham and cheese, and holy FUCK did Albedo deliver that. I want to continue the games not out of any real interest in where the story is going or because I care about Shion and the rest of the crew at all, but purely because I just want to watch three full games worth of Albedo losing his shit. I want to see the extent of his crazy.

Yep. The second game is almost -entirely- about Albedo, Jr, and Gaignun. Really fleshes out their backstory and Albedo's character even more. Makes him even better, because it's no wonder he's fucked. The mutual rivalry with him and Jr is pretty awesome and the ending, was fantastic.

I'll just tell you now but he's not a major player in III. He's still around, but yeah. On the other hand, another villain pops up at that point who's nearly just as good and also with a really good voice actor. Shit really hits the fan in III, so it kind of makes up for Albedo being in the backseat. He was truly a standout out though. Him and Luca Blight are some of the best.

@Zelkiiro: Like I said, I dare you to replay Xenosaga I and then talk about it. II is awesome once you know the battle system actually. An unpopular opinion, but after revisiting the games, I'd easily take II over the first. I agree about the character designs in II though, wasn't a fan of the changes.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 am 

Fatal Frame for the Wii U. This better make it to the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rv4GAZoho

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 am 

Seriously.

Wish we could get an HD port of 4 too or something.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm 

Dota 2 TI4 finals! Pretty underwhelming storyline for these finals, but the games should pretty intense (considering the two teams and the fact they are playing for $5 million first place). Anyone interested/unfamiliar this site is a good resource and has links to the stream on the right: http://www.liquiddota.com/

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm 

My buddy bought me Tomb Raider and The Wolf Among Us for my birthday. Already played through the latter. Damn, it was wicked. I love what Telltalle Games are doing nowadays. They've come a looooong way from the awful QTEs of Jurassic Park. TWAU was very polished, fun, and I dug the choices I had to make. I loved it so much that I finally bought The Walking Dead, which I've been playing and enjoying.

Tomb Raider is getting better. I wasn't so keen on the beginning bits as it didn't really feel like TR at all. More like a 'Let's inflict as much pain on Lara as we can to get you to care about her!' type of thing. But now that I'm getting some new gear and actually, you know, raiding tombs... it's better.

And I'm back into Skyrim, after my love finally took me up on my recommendation and bought it for her 360. Now that is a killer game. Morrowind is still my favourite, of course-- can't beat the diversity-- but I do enjoy Skyrim over Oblivion.

Finally, I've gotten around to playing the point-'n'-click game, Gemini Rue. I was needing some cyberpunk/dystopian influence while I write a story I'm working on, and remembered that game. Digging it so far.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:18 pm 

A friend just brought me Halo 2, even though I remember hating the first one. Wish me luck, guys.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Tomb Raider is getting better. I wasn't so keen on the beginning bits as it didn't really feel like TR at all. More like a 'Let's inflict as much pain on Lara as we can to get you to care about her!' type of thing. But now that I'm getting some new gear and actually, you know, raiding tombs... it's better.

I really enjoyed TR myself. But my biggedt issue was her attitude against having to kill people and making it a big deal in cutscenes, but then you end up brutally slaughtering hundreds of people throughout the course of the game. I hope Rise of the Tomb Raider lays off so much of the mindless slaughter.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
After dying to the first boss in Oath of Felghana like 8 times, I've decided that I don't like this game.

Pussy. Git gud, scrub
Or grind 2 levels and roflstomp her. Or play on Easy.

Lol wow no kidding, I went back and leveled up one time then beat the boss no problem.

Since I got a nice new Xbox 360 PC gamepad, I'm gonna give Dark Souls a go. I tried it on a not-so-great gamepad and it made me want to jump out a window, but this should be a lot better.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 pm 

Beat Xenogears and the ending made me want to cry.

Seeing the words "Episode V" during the credits and knowing the other 4 episodes don't exist.

:(

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

I really enjoyed TR myself. But my biggedt issue was her attitude against having to kill people and making it a big deal in cutscenes, but then you end up brutally slaughtering hundreds of people throughout the course of the game. I hope Rise of the Tomb Raider lays off so much of the mindless slaughter.

lol, yeah. That part had me laughing. She dry-heaved, almost puked, and then what-- 20 mins later she was wasting dudes by the dozen?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 pm 

What the fuck. Risen 3 has not only been confirmed, it's coming out in three weeks?!?!?!

Gothic 2: NotR still ranks as one of, if not the finest aRPG I've ever played. Risen 1 was relatively spectacular as well, with quite possibly the best melee combat system I've ever seen in a game (and I've touched on both of the Demon's Souls sequels*), as well as stunning voice work from Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies and Lena Heady, reciting disarmingly smart dialog. Risen 2 had moments of brilliance to be sure, but the whole 'pirate theme' felt more like a marketing gimmick rather than an organic evolution of the Risen world, and the combat left a lot to be desired (although as of the latest developer patch, most of the major kinks have been ironed out). Here's hoping Risen 3 goes back to the glory of the first game's dastardly brilliant combat system, and the immeasurable complexities and challenges of Gothic 2: NotR. From what little I've seen of gameplay videos so far, it seems like it might just be true. Although didn't Risen 2 come out... like... less than a year and a half ago? One helluva turnover time, especially for the notoriously overambitious Piranha Bytes.

I know there are more Piranha Bytes fanboys here than just me (in fact, I believe I first learned of the Gothic series on this very forum); anyone else care to out themselves as an aficionado of these ridiculously hard but deeply rewarding European role-playing game developers?

*Remember, PC only. And I'm sure Souls' on consoles were infinitely better than either of the Risens on consoles, since both of them were very much PCRPGs.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

You mean those optional "secret" areas (marked with bright white markings saying "SECRET TOMB THIS WAY" and the pop-up notification going "SECRET NEARBY!") with puzzles more brain dead than Terri Schiavo? Those tombs? :P

darkeningday wrote:
Gothic 2: NotR still ranks as one of, if not the finest aRPG I've ever played. Risen 1 was relatively spectacular as well, with quite possibly the best melee combat system I've ever seen in a game (and I've touched on both of the Demon's Souls sequels*),

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Evidence plz. [Edit: no controller support? Then you're clearly a liar. :P]

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:09 pm 

Gothic's combat ruined it but Risen 1&2 fixed that and are still the only cRPGs of their style (modern action RPG?) that have engaged me enough to play to completion. I cannot say why they clicked with me, they just do and the others I've played don't. The lack of generic NPCs (a blight on any cRPG) makes it feel more like an actual world instead of a breeding ground for clones, the gameplay is varied and the writing is actually competent. It's really almost an adventure game with stats & combat, which is probably what makes it not suck.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:31 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Beat Xenogears and the ending made me want to cry.

Seeing the words "Episode V" during the credits and knowing the other 4 episodes don't exist.

:(

Haha, nice.
Gotta love good Deus Ex Machina stuff handled well like this.

One of my favorite things about Xenogears is how you don't even fight Krelian, despite him being the main antagonist all around. I love how the Xeno's, and other games like Matsuno's stuff (FFT, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre), or the Suikoden series, handle things like this. There's no single all powerful villain or whatever. Always better when it's more complex and handled well.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:38 pm 

I dunno, I still contend that Mouse + Keyboard gives significantly more precision and control than any sort of gamepad (at least any kind of gamepad with one or more joysticks)...

I can't seem to find any Risen melee combat on yt where the uploader isn't a complete idiot, so I'll do my best to describe it here and perhaps upload a video of myself in combat later.

What I adore so much about the combat system is that it's actually possibly to defeat every single NPC in the game (disregarding the unfortunate final boss fight, which was balls awful) at level one with merely a piece of driftwood that you find in the first ten seconds of the game! Possible. You of course wouldn't be able to do that without either months of preparation or binding quicksave and quickload to the "Q" and "E" key, but the fact you actually can defeat any and everything the game throws at you without putting a single point into your stats or skills is quite admirable. The melee combat in Risen is never cheap; if you die, it's because you did something wrong. The actual mechanics of the combat itself is deceptively simple, with most of it boiling down to parrying or dodging (but no fucking rolling, thank gods!) your enemy's attack, and then delivering carefully timed strikes, which you can parlay to combo together perfectly with other attacks... or end in disaster if you're even a quarter of a second early or late in your follow-up. While you can chug health and mana potions in combat, these come with a small penalty where your character is completely defenseless for the 2 seconds he's drinking the potion; an eternity in Risen's lightning fast combat cycles.

It's simply the most rewarding melee combat ever! Sadly, the ranged and especially the magic systems are significantly less interesting... which is sad, too, because the mage has the most fulfilling storyline.

Expedience wrote:
Gothic's combat ruined it but Risen 1&2 fixed that and are still the only cRPGs of their style (modern action RPG?) that have engaged me enough to play to completion. I cannot say why they clicked with me, they just do and the others I've played don't. The lack of generic NPCs (a blight on any cRPG) makes it feel more like an actual world instead of a breeding ground for clones, the gameplay is varied and the writing is actually competent. It's really almost an adventure game with stats & combat, which is probably what makes it not suck.

I assume you mean "Gothic 3's combat ruined it?" Vanilla G3 is a disaster on almost every concievable gameplay level, but the community patch did wonders for the game. It's still the weakest of the Gothics of course (unless you're also counting its outsourced successors, and I doubt you are).

Anywho, have you played any of Larian's games (excepting the awful Beyond Divinity, of course)?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm 

Admission: I've never played the N64 Zeldas. Didn't have a N64 growing up, but I bought the Zelda Collector's Edition for Gamecube a few years ago. I should get around to popping that in one of these days.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 pm 

"few years ago"? :lol:

Alright, I guess there's a few PS2 games I've had for years that I haven't touched yet... hah.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 am 

Morrigan wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

You mean those optional "secret" areas (marked with bright white markings saying "SECRET TOMB THIS WAY" and the pop-up notification going "SECRET NEARBY!") with puzzles more brain dead than Terri Schiavo? Those tombs? :P

Yeah, lol. I was just saying that to myself earlier as I passed an obvious tomb entrance. But, I suppose that's modern gaming for you.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:03 am 

I enjoyed the TRR game a hell of a lot, regardless of difficulty and all that. I had zero interest in the series prior to that game and it completely won me over.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:04 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Yeah, lol. I was just saying that to myself earlier as I passed an obvious tomb entrance. But, I suppose that's modern gaming for you.

Are you sure you can't turn that off somewhere? That's what I thought about Dishonored, but it turned out you could disable the really obvious quest compass/distance meter, only it was buried way deep in the menu system and set to "on" by default. Seriously, Dishonored got about twice as good when I actually had to explore to find stuff, instead of just following a fucking arrow for a set amount of distance.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:43 am 

No, you cannot turn off the "survival instincts" thing (hell, I suppose you could -not- use it, but the game will often give you a nice and helpful "L2 - Survival Instincts" pop-up notification whenever you're around some place where you can highlight points of interests, and the notification STAYS THERE until you do press L2... not kidding), you cannot turn off the "1 SKILL POINT LEFT" icon whenever you levelled up, you cannot turn off the "HEADSHOT +20XP U SO BEST" notifications, or the "SECRET TOMB NEARBY!" pop-up/jingle, etc. I looked through the settings and didn't find anything. Perhaps a PC mod has those, but not on consoles.
And worse, even without that jingle/pop-up, the white markings are part of the graphics, such as here:
As you can see, that white marking with the circle beneath it is part of the environment, and it's quite conspicuous. They show up whenever you're approaching one of the "secret" tombs. Yes, the game really, really thinks you're that dumb. :lol: It's so modern it hurts.

And the puzzle inside that tomb is never really challenging, and the reward is invariably trite.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I assume you mean "Gothic 3's combat ruined it?" Vanilla G3 is a disaster on almost every concievable gameplay level, but the community patch did wonders for the game. It's still the weakest of the Gothics of course (unless you're also counting its outsourced successors, and I doubt you are).

Nope, Arcania was terrible. You're right, Gothic 2 combat was fine if extremely clunky on my PC as it was when I played it. I gave up when I was pretty far into the game, partly because the world was just too big. I spent half the time traversing the lands to the extent I have the running animation engraved in my head. Risen doesn't have that problem and doesn't outstay its welcome, so I consider it an improvement over Gothic. But that's purely personal preference, I had a good time with G2 and will likely return to it someday.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Yes, the game really, really thinks you're that dumb. :lol: It's so modern it hurts.

Yikes. I really have to wonder - the people who bitch about this stuff online are usually like you and me, serious gamers who have been at it for years, not really mainstream casual gamers, who outnumber us and mean more money for AAA publishers. That means the main target audience for these games is less likely to be familiar with game tropes, less used to figuring out tricky secrets as was the norm in older games, less dedicated and therefore less likely to stick with a game when things get hard - even taking all that into account, do even THEY actually like this shit? Do they actually want it? Like you said, when games assume their audiences are THAT dumb, I just have trouble believing people that dumb exist - at least in great enough numbers and with enough money to make publishers cater to them.

Super Mario was essentially mainstream back in the 90s, and that shit was pretty hard, same with Mega Man and Sonic. It seems to me this whole "lead players by the hand" arms race that's been going on in mainstream gaming lately is more a question of developers being too lazy/incompetent/rushed to come up with good level design that doesn't actually require a player to be led. Half-Life 2 for example didn't require giant FUCK THIS THING HERE quest objective markers, a big fucking quest compass, none of that shit. True, it was linear, but Morrowind had an open world that dwarfs Skyrim and didn't have any of that shit either. NPCs gave you directions based on roads, nearby cities, and landmarks, like in real life.

Basically, mainstream games are too easy, new gamers are dumb, in my day I had to walk 15 miles uphill both ways in the freezing rain just to beat the first level of a game, etc.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
snip

I am such a person myself. Hell, Gothic 2 was the game that made me fall in love with RPGs. Sure, I was having fun with Oblivion before it, but when I played Gothic I found myself in a much deeper, richer experience that just blew it away. It has only been until very recently, since I've started exploring some of the older games, that I've found comparable RPG experiences, with Fallout 1 & 2 being the greatest.

Gothic 3 is a different beast though. It's a game I fucking adore, yet it has severe problems. In its original incarnation, it's an abysmal mess. No one can deny that. However the passion of the fanbase is to be commended. With the Community Patch, combined with the Quest Pack and Content Mod, the game has been fixed and lives its highest potential today. Combat, while still weird, is now playable and actually has rules to follow. Most of the recognisable bugs were fixed. The framerate was improved, though due to the over-extended nature of the engine, it'll never be perfect. The world became more fleshed out, detailed and in line with the first two games (with the two mods). Today, Gothic 3 is a fine sandbox RPG. It isn't a deep experience like Gothic I, II or Risen of course, but for what it is, it's now very good. The world itself is absolutely awesome as well. Fantastic music to accompany one of the best designed game worlds I've seen. The forests in particular look so good.

As for Risen. The first game was near-perfect, and stands next to Gothic II in terms of greatness. It's not quite as good, but it's a damn fine effort. Risen 2 though... I simply cannot begin to defend it. I played through it twice in an attempt to love it, but I couldn't. There are just far too many problems that won't ever be fixed. See, Gothic 3 was broken because of a lack of time, and a lack of polish. Risen 2's isn't so much broken as it is just poorly designed. The combat is the worst in Piranha Bytes history, and makes you wonder how they could go from a very good melee system of Risen 1, to this utter mess. The world, while looking nice, is linear as all hell and contains small "open" areas connected by corridors. The pirate theme, while a novel idea, just fucks with the established lore of the first game and doesn't make sense. The story is even more barebones than usual. Piranha Bytes games have never had Planescape: Torment or Legacy of Kain esque stories of course, but they have always been solid and held the game up (Gothic 3 notwithstanding), but Risen 2's story is just... well it isn't even there, really. It's the most afterthought thing I've seen in a game.

That's just some of the basic issues with the game, and there are plenty more. I was hoping they'd go back to the engine of the first Risen for the third game, but they're sticking with an "improved" version of Risen 2's engine. Needless to say, I'm not too optimistic. I hope I'll be proven wrong, but I think Piranha Bytes, as one of the best action RPG designers, are a finished company. Their heyday is over. I'd love them to prove me otherwise, and I'd love for Risen 3 to be another fantastic PB game, but I just don't see it happening.

As for Arcania, I can't really comment on it since I've never played it. From what I've seen on YouTube, it looks fairly boring though. Two Worlds level of boring.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:01 am 

Xeogred wrote:
"few years ago"? :lol:

Alright, I guess there's a few PS2 games I've had for years that I haven't touched yet... hah.

Yeah, my childhood consisted of NES. No SNES, Genesis, N64, and I got a PS1 late in its cycle. Didn't really have many games, either. Didn't really get back into gaming until 2008 or 2009, when I had enough money to get the current gen systems (and catch up on older stuff).

Let's just say I still have a ton of catching up to do. Too much, actually.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 am 

failsafeman wrote:
snip

I highly doubt the majority audiance really is that dumb, or that developers think we are.
Games require much bigger budgets now, so they're at the mercy of investors: paranoid shareholders and producers; people who typically know nothing about game design or where the gaps in the market are and insist every game has the latest trends and is geared toward as broad and dumb an audiance as possible.

Read the story behind immensely successful kickstarter projects, there's a good chance they tried finding investors before and it went something like this:
Pitch: "Hey, know what would definately sell at least a million or 2 right now? A proper old-school crpg, adventure game or a space sim. those niches are completely starved right now."
Suit: "fuck no, CoD sells dozens of millions. we'd rather keep doing safe investment, i.e. bashing our head against a wall over and over for a miniscule chance at that sweet mainstream pie instead of taking the guaranteed money." (see also: WoW killers)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
snip snip

Marry me?

But seriously, I agree with virtually every single one of your points, although I would like to expand on a few things: believe it or not, Risen 1, 2, 3 and Gothic 3 all operate on the Genome Engine (PB's custom made in-house graphics engine). While it's true Risen 3 seems to be closer to Risen 2 in presentation than its predecessors (hell, the player menu is almost exactly the same), the half steampunk, half high-fantasy of the first Risen is back (meaning no more fucking pirates or borderline racist caricature's of Voodoo practitioners), as is the huge, fully explorable open world, an extensive magic system (while guns still exist they play a much smaller role), and last but certainly not least, multiple guilds of which you can only join only one per playthrough. I'm not ready to comment on the melee/magic/ranged combat yet, since I have yet to see any late-game content. Do note that I'm only basing this on the handful of previews that I had to Google translate, as well as this annoying German guy's 3 hour blind play, so perhaps PB has only published the non-rubbish parts of their game so far. I guess we'll see.

By the way, did you know that Piranha Bytes re-acquired their rights to Gothic right after JoWood went belly-up? They hinted on more than one occasion that Risen was actually set in the Gothic universe, and after noticing this creature on the above Let's Play... I'd say it's all but 100% confirmed. While there's no question this smacks more than a little of desperation (I'm betting the reason PB is churning out Risen 3 so quickly is because they're on the verge of bankruptcy--Risen 2 looked incredibly expensive, yet its lukewarm critical and commercial reception makes me think they just barely broke even), if it means we get something more in line with the Gothic series, I'm all fucking for it.

As for Risen 2: I can't say I actively disliked it, aside from the painfully cliche pirate and voodoo nonsense (which was actually not laid on quite as thick as its press releases would have had you believe) and honestly, the swordplay is only slightly inferior to the first Risen; after you've put enough points in it, it's a pretty robust system with a lot of room to tailor it to your character. I'm about to replay it before R3 comes out, and I'll follow the Voodoo path this time. It looks cool in theory, since it's all about alchemy, buffs-debuffs, summoning and mind control (versus the DPS spellcasting system that's usually the bread and butter of aRPG magickz), but I'm worried that it'll make the game too difficult on Hard. Personally, I found the writing in Risen 2 to be generally quite solid, and the voice acting to be at the same level as the first game (very, very high). The actual plot was kind of a mess, although still by no means bad imho.

Certainly agreed on Gothic 3, though. The 7.5 square mile, hand-crafted world at your fingertips is still the finest setting I've ever played in an open world game to this very day, and the feeling of shaping an entire world entirely to your will is one of the most intensely satisfying experiences I've ever had in a game. While I find the 1.75 community patch to be absolutely essential, I'm not a fan of the alternate combat/balancing, as well as the QP (Gothic 3 already had too many quests; why on earth would you want to add more?) and the CM, which presents lots of uneven fanbuilt textures that clash hideously with the art design of the rest of the game. It's also important to note that both the QP and the CM slow the game down considerably. Conversely, if you're running only the Community Patch and have a decent PC and SSD, there's virtually no stuttering in the entire game (even if you tweak the ini to quadruple your draw distance); given that there are never any load screens either, it makes the already outstanding world just that much more awesome. And surprisingly, the game actually looks better than Skyrim in many respects, even though it came out half-a-decade before it (thanks in large part to the Community Patch, which unlocked even higher resolution textures that were buried deep in the game's code). It truly was far, far ahead of its time.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am 

darkeningday wrote:
snip

Hmm, seems we have widely differing opinions regarding Risen 2. I will concur that the melee combat can be rather fun once you got some skills into it. But there is a big problem with this: skills require a shit tonne of money, which isn't easily come by. In other PB games, you could gather money by exploring a lot. Exploration was cut down severely in Risen 2, and for me, getting the skills together to make combat playable took several hours at the least. That's a lot of crap to put up with in the meantime. Even then, the combat is only really enjoyable against NPCs, and a pain in the ass against animals (at least with Gothic and Risen 1, you could, with some practice, effectively dodge animals. The dodge in Risen 2 is all kinds of terrible).

I did see the videos by the German LP'er (I don't speak German, so I'm not sure why that fellow has a bad reputation by nearly everyone I've seen mention him on forums). It does look improved, but the combat seemed to be a little Witcher 2'esque, running in and out, rolling around and shit. I really enjoy the more upfront parry/dodge systems of Gothic 2 and Risen 1. Not only do they look better, they also feel smoother. It's a bit nitpickey, maybe, but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good. But that's something you can't really talk about unless you play it yourself, I guess.

Anyway, I remain slightly optimistic for it, but it's hard to be truly excited. As for the rights to Gothic, I doubt slapping that title on the box art would make much of a different. The PB that made Gothic is far removed from the one currently here. I believe there is only 1 or 2 remaining original members left at this point, with one of the more respected ones leaving very recently.

And you play Gothic 3 without the combat re balancing? That's one of my favourite changes with the game, as it transforms the melee from a button mashing hack and slash to a more methodical style, where you have to read your opponents body language and react according to their movements and what kind of weapon you have. It makes the melee far more enjoyable, for me. Also, duel wielding is made to be completely badass now as well, which is great. (2 handed weapons, except for the spear, still suck though). The QP added quests are kind of trashy, I admit, but you need it for the CM to work, which I thoroughly enjoy using.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 am 

Granted, the new combat mechanics/A.I. introduced in the G3 Community Patch makes the arena fights a blast, but it SEVERELY underpowers melee builds in almost every other scenario; how in the hell are you supposed to liberate cities (i.e., massacre dozens of orcs/rebels/Hashishin at once), take Vengard, and fight against literally hundreds of skeletons in Nordmar when you have three enemies attacking you at any given time (if you're playing on Hard, that is) that can block 99% of your melee attacks, where they don't take even an iota of damage? The only way I can possibly see anyone completing the game on Hard with the Alternative A.I. and Alternative Balancing activated is if s/he used cheap, tedious tactics to lure each orc out of a city individually... whereas a high level mage could wipe out entire cities with the literal wave of a hand. The melee combat PB made was kind of retarded, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it is very clearly the way the game was meant to be played (aside from the aforementioned arena battles, which are insanely pathetic in vanilla G3 but actually great fun with alternative A.I. on.) The sheer number of enemies you are forced to take on at once seems like blatant evidence of that.

...unless... am I missing something? How did you go about liberating cities via melee with the "alternative settings" switched on?

Anyway, if the community modded G3 to have either mobs of significantly fewer ranks, or allowed alternative A.I. to be switched off when facing foes in greater numbers than five at a time, I'd play the living shit out of it (again!!)!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I love what Telltalle Games are doing nowadays. They've come a looooong way from the awful QTEs of Jurassic Park.

And unfortunately a long way in the opposite direction from when they were making real adventure games... :(

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
I love what Telltalle Games are doing nowadays. They've come a looooong way from the awful QTEs of Jurassic Park.

And unfortunately a long way in the opposite direction from when they were making real adventure games... :(

Yeah, they've found their new niche. I liked what they were doing before with Sam & Max and Tales Of Monkey Island, but if they want to keep making these 'interactive drama' games, I'm fine with that.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:16 pm 

Yeah, as casual interactive movies they're alright (and aeons better than virtually every single FMV title ever made), but it'd be nice if they'd insert just the tiniest, littlest bit of challenge somewhere, anywhere, yanno?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 940  Next