Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 am 

They made it. Twitch Plays Pokémon actually beat the Elite Four after 16 days. Incredible.

Spoiler: show
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 am 

I think the worst thing with exploring dungeons in Skyrim is the all-randomly generated loot. I mean, other than exploring some nice dungeons (because there really are nice dungeons) you never find any sweet loot in them. In Morrowind there a lot of bland dungeons but when you did find a particularly nice one, it meant there was a lot of chance for you to find an artifact or something. Exploring some sweet dungeons is nice, but never finding any treasure inside is pretty anticlimactic if you ask me. Knowing you'll never find anything in dungeons kinda make the exploration less interesting.

But had Skyrium had that aspect of Morrowind, Skyrim would have been one hell of an adventure game.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I think the worst thing with exploring dungeons in Skyrim is the all-randomly generated loot. I mean, other than exploring some nice dungeons (because there really are nice dungeons) you never find any sweet loot in them. In Morrowind there a lot of bland dungeons but when you did find a particularly nice one, it meant there was a lot of chance for you to find an artifact or something. Exploring some sweet dungeons is nice, but never finding any treasure inside is pretty anticlimactic if you ask me. Knowing you'll never find anything in dungeons kinda make the exploration less interesting.

But had Skyrium had that aspect of Morrowind, Skyrim would have been one hell of an adventure game.

http://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq

http://kotaku.com/high-res-skywind-look ... 1496594304

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 am 

inhumanist wrote:
They made it. Twitch Plays Pokémon actually beat the Elite Four after 16 days. Incredible.

I had been closely following and participating in this and was present for many of the big events. I was furious to find out they beat the game 20 minutes before I woke up today.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:46 am 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:

Damn, that looks quite impressive. Although I wonder how close to the original Morrowind experience this will be. Like, is it just Skyrim taking place in Morrowind?

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:41 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
BarryLamarBonds wrote:

Damn, that looks quite impressive. Although I wonder how close to the original Morrowind experience this will be. Like, is it just Skyrim taking place in Morrowind?

Other way around. Morrowind taking place in Skyrim's engine. World, story, etc. It does mean some gameplay elements will be modified to fit Skyrim's model, like skills and whatnot. How far that goes I'm not sure. I suppose we'll all find out as it reaches the finish line.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 am 

Ugh, fuck. Requiem mod requires Dawnguard DLC. :annoyed: Just like about every other overhaul mod, wtf!
Shouldn't have bought Skyrim... should have waited for GOTY sale... grumble...

Fuck this I'm playing Witcher 2.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I think the worst thing with exploring dungeons in Skyrim...

They never seemed to get this right after Morrowind for some reason. Morrowind's randomly generated loot (like in crates you found in bandits' caves) was based on your level, but even then there was a lot of variety to it. As many random tombs and caves as there were in Morrowind, most of them had something to make the entire plunder worth it. Plus, there is no feeling like finding
that one really good robe shoved up in the corner of a ledge in that one cave near Seyda Neen, or those great gauntlets hidden under that coffin in that cave on the north end of the Bitter Coast. Or hell even that thieves' ring hidden amongst the bones in the first bandit cave you tackle. Great attention to detail on the programmers' part.
(Game spoilers...kinda)

I actually noticed that they started to mess it up on Bloodmoon, which save for a few great secrets like the infamous tree stump has the lamest, most phoned in randomly generated loot parameters. All of the chests in the barrows have a bunch of weird crap like one arrow, one hammer, and just a handful of randomly generated magic weapons. Nearly every chest on all of Solsthiem is like that!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

They never seemed to get this right after Morrowind for some reason. Morrowind's randomly generated loot (like in crates you found in bandits' caves) was based on your level, but even then there was a lot of variety to it. As many random tombs and caves as there were in Morrowind, most of them had something to make the entire plunder worth it. Plus, there is no feeling like finding
that one really good robe shoved up in the corner of a ledge in that one cave near Seyda Neen, or those great gauntlets hidden under that coffin in that cave on the north end of the Bitter Coast. Or hell even that thieves' ring hidden amongst the bones in the first bandit cave you tackle. Great attention to detail on the programmers' part.
(Game spoilers...kinda)

I actually noticed that they started to mess it up on Bloodmoon, which save for a few great secrets like the infamous tree stump has the lamest, most phoned in randomly generated loot parameters. All of the chests in the barrows have a bunch of weird crap like one arrow, one hammer, and just a handful of randomly generated magic weapons. Nearly every chest on all of Solsthiem is like that!

Yeah, totally agreed. And it seems at some point in Skyrim, expensive magical weapons get pretty common too. You almost have no chance to end up on something worthwhile even if it's not a unique item.

I remember that particular cavern in the ashlands. At some point you reach a tomb and what a tomb it was. You got that artifact shield but it didn't stop there. There were trapped chests, a lot of gold and precious stones, etc. You really felt like hitting the jackpot. Sometimes people even pointed you toward a certain region where'd you find a cavern with a unique item in it. There was a whole aspect of exploring dungeons to find cool, rare and unique stuff. Now it's just through quests that you find these...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 pm 

Yup, that is probably one of the best examples of what I am talking about. The other great one is
that one ancestral tomb that seems pretty familiar at first, but opens up into a big semi-submerged maze with a barbarian buried underground IN his boat with all of his treasures around him. Someone in Vivec actually gives you the key for that one, but it's still up to you to find it. It doesn't count as a quest.
I miss that :(
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:40 pm 

Ah yeah, that one was pretty neat!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:40 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Ah yeah, that one was pretty neat!

Another great one is
the submerged tomb/dwemer ruin way out on open sea, if I remember correctly south of Vivec City or Ebonheart. It's called the Mudan Grotto. I found the submerged entrance by accident while exploring the coast, and I squealed with joy when I found the Dragonbone cuirass (100% fire resist constant) after defeating the Steam Guardian. It doesn't have anything to do with the main story nor any other quest. It also contains other cool things like the unique ingredient Poison (useless by the way)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:48 pm 

The main problem with Skyrim's loot system is that crafted stuff is just way too fucking good. If you max out your blacksmithing and enchantment, which isn't even difficult to do (I did both pretty easily well before I got to the end of the main story, and I still haven't touched any of the DLC), you can make some ridiculous shit. Make yourself a set of magic gear that adds to blacksmithing, then chug one of the best blacksmithing potions, make/upgrade a full set of armor and weapons. Then do the same with enchanting and buff your enchanting way up and enchant all of that stuff. I did that not to cheese the system or anything but just because I wanted to be prepared for presumably tougher combat as I leveled up, but all that stuff was ludicrously overpowered and basically trivialized combat.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:07 pm 

Hell yeah, today was a good day in La Mulana! I beat 3 sub-bosses, one major boss and unlocked a new region. Finally! I was getting real tired of running around in the same old places looking for stuff I've missed.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:11 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Another great one is

Reminds me of
that Daedric ruin sunken wayyyyy off the coast around Maar Gan (If I remember right). That is part of a big quest, though.

Last.fm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm 

Ah, M'Aiq the Liar ey? I actually killed him for his strapping hat on my first playthrough. :lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:51 pm 

Yeah, I think that is one of the only things that he mentions that is true. That and the mudcrab merchant.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:26 am 

Finally beat Dust: An Elysian Tale. Definitely play on hard if you own it but haven't started it yet. Normal was wayyyy too easy, and I'm not even good at vidya games. Really fun game though. There are some sort of platform-centric bits but basically it's sort of a Metroidvania type game with a focus on combo-heavy combat. I got my combo multiplier up to 1300 or 1400 hits once, haha. Plus the art is beautiful.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 am 

Bede wrote:
Decided to buy Dead Space 2 from psn store for €7 since I kind of enjoyed the first one and the price was so low. How does it compare to the first one, any experiences?

2 is damn good, arguably the darkest one. It might have my least favorite environments of the three, but still awesomeness with some good moments and new monsters.

I'd say overall both Dead Space and Mass Effect were the best trilogies last gen, and I'd take it a step further and put Dead Space on top honestly. Story wise it pretty much is no better than Doom 3 or something, but the gameplay is so damn awesome and I love the heavy clunkier controls compared to cover shooters. I'll be going back to these games forever over the years. Plasma Cutter for life.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Finally beat Dust: An Elysian Tale. Definitely play on hard if you own it but haven't started it yet. Normal was wayyyy too easy, and I'm not even good at vidya games. Really fun game though. There are some sort of platform-centric bits but basically it's sort of a Metroidvania type game with a focus on combo-heavy combat. I got my combo multiplier up to 1300 or 1400 hits once, haha. Plus the art is beautiful.

Sounds like Valdis Story, heh. But Valdis Story has the bonus of having no furries. XD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Bede wrote:
Decided to buy Dead Space 2 from psn store for €7 since I kind of enjoyed the first one and the price was so low. How does it compare to the first one, any experiences?

2 is damn good, arguably the darkest one. It might have my least favorite environments of the three, but still awesomeness with some good moments and new monsters.

I'd say overall both Dead Space and Mass Effect were the best trilogies last gen, and I'd take it a step further and put Dead Space on top honestly. Story wise it pretty much is no better than Doom 3 or something, but the gameplay is so damn awesome and I love the heavy clunkier controls compared to cover shooters. I'll be going back to these games forever over the years. Plasma Cutter for life.

Really? I liked the first two Dead Space titles but I felt the third one was really weak. I stopped playing it most of the way through because I often found myself rolling my eyes and going "Oh gee, I wonder what'll happen if I hit that switch / pick up that quest item. I bet there will be yet another batch of monster closets."

I was actually going to say I'd put Uncharted out as one of the best trilogies of last gen, but then I recalled that the third title there was also really weak.

I'm continuing on with Lords of Shadow 2.

I just killed Carmilla and got the mist form, which is already being used in some kind of neat ways. So far, I'm finding it to be a better game than the first one.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:09 am 

Best Rambo game ever:
http://javidpower.com/lastblood/
LOL @ the real ending

The best part: the designer of this game was a designer on The Last of Us xD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:25 am 

Hahahaha. Ah, that soundtrack brings back memories, though. You'd probably like Dust, though, even if it does have furries!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 am 

There used to be a time when the first thing people associated with anthropomorphic animal characters wasn't some weird fetish...

The internet has ruined us.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:00 pm 

Y'all haven't seen me for the past week and a half, and that's because I've been Suikoden II'ing. Now, I haven't finished it yet, but the reason I pulled myself away from it is
I'M NOT GETTING THE GOOD ENDING AGAIN FUCKING DAMMIT. I have all 108 characters this time (my last playthrough I missed Simone and Vincent because I somehow wound up selling the Rose Brooch and couldn't buy it again from Banner), but Gorudo's shot still ends up hitting the mark. Now, I haven't read any guides past just recruiting all the characters (because seriously, fuck you if you think I'm gonna spend 30 hours on this game just to miss one), so for all I know, Nanami is supposed to die there, but the first time I finished the game, she died and I got the bad ending (meaning the game just ended after the Beast Rune), so I'm assuming she'll survive for the good ending. If I'm wrong, I'll find out, I'll just play through later today, but I've put myself through that heart wrenching sequence like three times in the last hour and I'm really tired of sobbing bloody tears at the moment.

Yeah, it's still pretty much the best game ever, even with the (completely valid) flaws.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:16 am 

Suikoden II mega spoilers:
If Dr. Huan called Shu to his room, it's to tell him that Nanami is alive (and to keep it secret so then Shu announces to everyone that she died) and you will see her again.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 am 

Second best.

THE TRUE GOD OF JRPG's!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 am 

I'd give the nod to Suikoden over Xenogears myself. Xenogears is very very good, but disc 2 does completely suck...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 am 

There's at least 50 hours worth prior to the second disc of Xenogears. I'll just never get that complaint. lol

But let me say Xenosaga III's second disc > Xenogears' second. But yes, I understand I'm the only one who made it that far!

Overall I prefer Xenogears for being a more complete package, but Xenosaga III got really fucking good in the final stretch and the scope of the story was about 100x bigger with final bosses for every single main character pretty much with a chain reaction of final dungeons and holy shittles. So good.

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 am 

Lords of Shadow 2 update: I finished it a short while ago, and I must say, while it did have a lot more Castlevania influence, which was appreciated, I really came to dislike the game in its final hour. I suspect they're going to aim for more post-ending DLC, since the game ending was pretty.. well, there wasn't much of one. I'm glad the series will be out of Mercury Steam's hands, in any case. On to my shelf it goes, where it shall remain.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am 

Every time so far, Huan just comes out and says she didn't make it. I have all the stars and I get the dialog box in time, but she keeps dying. The only thing I can think of, is in the last major battle, after the check for all the stars but before the confrontation in Rockaxe, one of my units went down. I didn't get the message saying he DIED, but it's the only thing I can think of that's preventing me. Luckily I had the foresight to save on a different file before then, so I think I'll go back and try that battle again.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm 

And now I've beaten Mass Effect 3. Racked up about 3400 resources, so I could choose to get the good-er ending. And then nobody tells me that shooting the Catalyst will result in the Super Shitty Ending. Good thing the game saved right before that! Since the Digital Deluxe version came with the extended ending, I can't say anything about the original, but I did like it. A little odd, but hey, it's an RPG, why not.

One thing I will say is that, ever since I found the Graal Spike Launcher, the game has been pure bliss. Incendiary Ammo + big fucking spikes = easy mode. Guess I'll have to move up from Normal mode to be challenged with this thing. :V

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:05 pm 

Yeah, Insanity's really the only way to go. :P Admittedly I started 1 on Veteran and 2 Hardcore; I tried Insanity on 3 as a Vanguard but it's practically impossible with that class unless you have godlike skills (the class is all about suicide Punch/Nova charges into combat and the AI teammates aren't sharp enough to cover you when you do.) I eventually rage-quitted and re-rolled an Infiltrator, which is a lot less frustrating even on the same difficulty.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:50 pm 

Mass Effect 3 is awesome because I'm a total choice-monger, and that game gives you so many fucking guns it's ridiculous. There's like ten shotguns in that game! And they're all awesome! With mods! It's great!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:52 pm 

It's definitely a successful blend of 1's RPG elements with 2's sleek, streamlined layout. The multiplayer makes that level of customization even more fun; it's the only time I've ever paid to buy new equipment/gear/etc. in a videogame because I was too impatient to build up points for booster packs through playing.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm 

[Suikoden II spoilers]
BastardHead wrote:
Every time so far, Huan just comes out and says she didn't make it.

Um....
She did. It's a lie. Hope you haven't been restarting over and over just because Huan said that... xD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

Haha, I gathered that based on your post, bit you mentioned Shu and he was never involved for me. Unless that scene is after when you wake up the next morning, because I usually get that far before I can find the reset button through the tears

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:51 pm 

Oh right, duh, Shu is the key here... hmm well I guess you'll just have to see. :P Make a different save slot or something...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
And then nobody tells me that shooting the Catalyst will result in the Super Shitty Ending. Good thing the game saved right before that! Since the Digital Deluxe version came with the extended ending, I can't say anything about the original, but I did like it. A little odd, but hey, it's an RPG, why not.

The original endings aren't too different from the extended cut endings. The outcomes are basically the same, with the addition of the Refusal ending (shooting the Catalyst) and some so-called closure. A bit disappointing, considering that BioWare had the opportunity to (indirectly) capitalize on the whole indoctrination theories before doing the extended cut DLC, and could've aced it with just a few minor changes for the last 15 game minutes and it would've been awesome and made a lot more sense.

All the rumors about a "ME4" got me curious. I wonder if it's going to be about the cycle of the Protheans, when they were fighting and dominating the spacefaring species Javik talked about, and discovering the still-primitive species of the next cycle which we've all come to know... Or maybe it'll be set in a different galaxy altogether which the Reapers attempted to harvest but ended up getting ousted from... Or maybe it'll be a shitty forced cash grab schemed up by EA (hopefully not, but fuck EA anyway).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
All the rumors about a "ME4" got me curious. I wonder if it's going to be about the cycle of the Protheans, when they were fighting and dominating the spacefaring species Javik talked about, and discovering the still-primitive species of the next cycle which we've all come to know... Or maybe it'll be set in a different galaxy altogether which the Reapers attempted to harvest but ended up getting ousted from... Or maybe it'll be a shitty forced cash grab schemed up by EA (hopefully not, but fuck EA anyway).

I've read some interviews with the Bioware writers and from what I've gathered it'll be mostly, if not entirely removed from the story of Shepard and the Reapers. I'm glad the plot is at least removed from ME1-3; probably best to let that series rest where it is now. If it's set in the future and not a side-story/prequel, I'm guessing the new games will be so different/far away that choosing a canon ending to ME3 would be irrelevant.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562 ... 940  Next