Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:31 pm 

Doesn't Michael Bay have something to do with that show? I honestly don't remember for sure...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:55 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Tyler Perry's House of Payne is such a weird-ass sitcom. It's like, mega-generic recycled sitcom characters, plot-lines and jokes... and then one of the main characters will just up and get addicted to crack, and it goes into major melodrama mode for several episodes, with either no comedy or insanely dark jabs at it (e.g. making jokes about how crackheads steal from their parents). Like, I realize almost every sitcom has its 'serious' moments, but this show just jacks up the severity and longevity of those moments to levels I never thought possible. It's not a great show (or even sitcom) by any means, but there's a heart to it that most modern comedy TV shows so often lack, and I'm finding myself really getting attached to it.

Also, Demetria McKinney. Holy Jesus Christ on a bendy bus, Batman.

Everything Tyler Perry does is a mess--the guy clearly has no sense of balance or consistency--so I can hardly say this surprises me.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 pm 

Im watching the Highlander TV series....pretty good, heard it gets better, im still on season 1 at the moment.

its 90s as fuck with the cheesy music and all.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I just watched the first episode of the new series called Black Sails, obviously a pirate themed show! It's pretty good, it's a reinvention of the story of Captain Flint (played by a very good Toby Stephens known for being the bad guy in the atrocious Die Another Day. The show is quite HBOesque and Gameofthronesque, lots of sex and violence and political intrigues. I'll follow it! Shit, I already follow too many TV shows...

Yeah I liked it too, it has potential. We'll see. Starz has made some decent stuff and some crappy stuff.

Also looking forward to the other pirate show on NBC I think, Crossbones with John Malkovich.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Everything Tyler Perry does is a mess--the guy clearly has no sense of balance or consistency--so I can hardly say this surprises me.

There's a lot of awful Tyler Perry out there (the Medea stamp guarantees a horrible two hours), but some of his plays and most of his films adapted from those plays are genuinely decent entertainment. He got famous for a reason, he's just spread himself too thin these days.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am 

So my girlfriend and I started watching "Lost" the other night. So far it seems extremely...predictable. I've seen bits and pieces here and there when it was still on air, but it all just seems ludicrous.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 am 

painfulserenity wrote:
So my girlfriend and I started watching "Lost" the other night. So far it seems extremely...predictable. I've seen bits and pieces here and there when it was still on air, but it all just seems ludicrous.

It ends up being addicting, BUT I hated how it ends. So much that I thought it made the whole show a waste.
If you haven't, check out Breaking Bad. I guarantee that you'll watch season 5 in nearly one setting. Before the series finale came on, people were hoping that it didn't end like Lost. Without spoiling anything, it answers everything and it was a satisfying ending.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 am 

Certainly a more satisfying ending than the ending to Dexter, I'll tell you that right now.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:09 pm 

I watched Breaking Bad for the first two seasons I believe. I would have to look at Netflix again to confirm, but the last episode I remember watching was Jesse moving into his new townhome and sleeping with the land lords daughter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Certainly a more satisfying ending than the ending to Dexter, I'll tell you that right now.

The Dexter ending wasn't that bad. Not great, but not as horrible as some make out. The rest of the season before it was shit though.

Anyone watch The Following? Friends are telling me to check it out. Kevin Bacon is always fun.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:42 pm 

So I've just finished House of Cards. It's a lot of fun, well shot, well acted, very glossy, etc etc. But I'm not convinced by the way the plot is so totally in thrall to one central character. No one really has any agency beyond his machinations, and it's hard to believe that nominally independent characters' actions don't contribute to more things going awry. I'd like the second series to have more disasters for him to cope with, everything has been rather too convenient up til now (though that got a little better towards the end). Overall, I'd recommend it though, and will certainly be watching season 2 when it launches in a couple of weeks.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:46 pm 

Just watched the first episode of The Spoils of Babylon. Not funny in the least.

Guess that figures.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Anyone watch The Following? Friends are telling me to check it out. Kevin Bacon is always fun.

I gave up on that show a little more than halfway through the first season. Didn't really care for any of the characters, and the central premise just got too ridiculous after a while. But I know some people who were happy enough with season 1 that they're now into season 2, so maybe I'm in the minority here.

Speaking of shows I'm about to give up on, I really can't believe how much less I'm enjoying season 3 of American Horror Story compared to season 1. The S3 finale is tonight, and I'm only one episode behind so I will finish it eventually, but unless the concept of season 4 is incredibly interesting I don't think I'll bother. So many things wrong with "Coven":

Spoiler: show
Probably my biggest issue is that it feels like there are no stakes at all, because almost everybody who dies comes back to life. A few episodes ago they introduced at least some tension, when I found out that Josh "Not the Baseball Player" Hamilton's character was some kind of witch-hunter. "Ooh, these guys are highly motivated and well-funded; a deadly combination!" Then in the most recent episode I watched, the witches quite easily killed the hunters' leadership at the negotiation. Even if there are more hunters out there, they just don't seem like a threat at this point.

Episodes 12 and 13 need to knock my socks off for this season to have been worthwhile.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I gave up on that show a little more than halfway through the first season. Didn't really care for any of the characters, and the central premise just got too ridiculous after a while. But I know some people who were happy enough with season 1 that they're now into season 2, so maybe I'm in the minority here.
Nope, it's bad, that's for sure. I can't quite say whether Hannibal is as bad but they're both far fetched trash that virtually have no progression to speak of. The convoluted triple-cross plot twists are laughable and the never-ending rings the main bad guy makes Kevin Bacon jump through is cartoonishly implausible. I was half expecting him to fly a zeppelin to a top secret serial killer army base in the sky by the time I stopped watching.

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Speaking of shows I'm about to give up on, I really can't believe how much less I'm enjoying season 3 of American Horror Story compared to season 1. The S3 finale is tonight, and I'm only one episode behind so I will finish it eventually, but unless the concept of season 4 is incredibly interesting I don't think I'll bother. So many things wrong with "Coven"

I've used to have a love/hate appreciation of AHS but by the 3rd season the increasingly cruel nature of the show became too predictably negative and monotonous, or perhaps I tired of it's masochistic formula, so I gave it a miss. I'm not regretting it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 am 

I enjoyed Asylum a lot. Coven has been less interesting to me, but I've only seen the first 3-4 episodes. Lots of people love it, so I need to catch up eventually.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:24 pm 

Bates Motel returns in March! Can't wait for that.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:58 pm 

Yes, Bates Motel season 1 was a nice surprise.

Nahsil wrote:
I enjoyed Asylum a lot. Coven has been less interesting to me, but I've only seen the first 3-4 episodes. Lots of people love it, so I need to catch up eventually.

Well I finished the final two episodes of AHS: Coven, and I wish I could say "Just stick with it - it's totally worth it in the end!" but I can't. I didn't care all that much about the issue they were trying to resolve in the finale, plus that thing I complained about in the spoiler happened yet again.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:01 pm 

My new favorite show is no doubt True Detective. Amazing cast of very well known actors, semi known actors and not known actors that are making a very colourful gritty portray of New Orleans. Its slow its very picturesque and as some one mentioned its the neo-noir of 2014 and I have to agree with that. The conflict between (Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) is so well played. I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, its been running for a month already.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 am 

Nahsil wrote:

While it was good, I think my problem with it is that it was about 2 episodes too long.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm 

Yahko wrote:
My new favorite show is no doubt True Detective. Amazing cast of very well known actors, semi known actors and not known actors that are making a very colourful gritty portray of New Orleans. Its slow its very picturesque and as some one mentioned its the neo-noir of 2014 and I have to agree with that. The conflict between (Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) is so well played. I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, its been running for a month already.

Yep, great show. Look forward to each new episode.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 pm 

Yahko wrote:
It's a mighty fine bit of drama, the best in years in my opinion and very much welcome after the large hole Breaking Bad left. What I really like is it's slow pace and how it doesn't cater to those who thirst for quick conclusions, at the same time there's an undeniable progression as each episode unwraps just a bit more of the story. It's slow burn pace gives plenty of room to develop the main characters with each episode and it challenges the viewer with thought provoking subject matter, both physically and verbally. There's an undeniable negativity/realism that Cohle brings and I like that there's next to no comic relief to make his deep reflections easily digestible. Needless to say Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are bringing their a-grade acting chops and you can almost cut the tension with a knife.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:51 pm 

Brenda in SFU pisses me off so much. Making a big deal out of Nate having the affair/baby when she's been fucking everything with 2+ legs!

Great show, really. The drama/situations and emotions are so real.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 am 

I should watch SFU again, I own the DVDs, one of my favorite series and it's been a while since I watched it. Michael C. Hall is insanely good in that.

I restarted Castle (I <3 Nathan Fillion), I'm gonna do a marathon of season 2 and 3!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Yahko wrote:

Yep, great show. Look forward to each new episode.

Thanks for the tip, gents. Just watched the first two episodes last night; excellent stuff so far.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:44 pm 

True Detective indeed starts very promising, with so little progress per episode that it could still head in every possible direction. McConaughey has the more intriguing character to play and should be a strong contender for winning in the category of Best (Lead) Actor at next year's Golden Globe and Emmy Awards, whereas Harrelson is always fun to watch, no matter what role he plays. Also, I love the intro sequence, both visually and musically, it always sets me in the right mood for the show.

Regarding Six Feet Under: As much as I love the acting of and chemistry between Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths, I enjoy other storylines more in the first season. Especially Ruth's problems of adapting to life as a single and her desperate attempts to be involved in her children's lives. Plus, I think Lauren Ambrose couldn't have better portrayed the character of a young person not knowing what to do with life after high-school; but all main characters are spot on with their performances, so quality differences in their various stories are easily smoothed out.

Last edited by CoF on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:59 pm 

TD is definitely one of the best shows on right now, certainly the best I'm aware of. Everything's in order, but Matthew McConaughey especially does an amazing job. It's an addicting performance, really.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:01 pm 

Man, you guys are making me want to get into television again, so bad. I wonder if True Detective is out on Hulu or Amazon yet...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:03 pm 

It's HBO, so you'll have to torrent :/

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:40 am 

Just finished season 1 of Lost and it's pretty gripping. I would say that they definitely found a formula to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire series. I'm just glad I never got into this show when it was on air, otherwise the suspense between episodes would kill me.

But holy hell, Claire pisses me off so much. I understand that she is pregnant, but jesus christ she is annoying.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:53 am 

Don't bother with the rest. Those questions you have, will never be answered, they'll just troll you the entire time.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 am 

painfulserenity wrote:
Just finished season 1 of Lost and it's pretty gripping. I would say that they definitely found a formula to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire series. I'm just glad I never got into this show when it was on air, otherwise the suspense between episodes would kill me.

But holy hell, Claire pisses me off so much. I understand that she is pregnant, but jesus christ she is annoying.

Ehh, by the time you get to a few episodes in the final season, you'll just be thinking 'this is bullshit'. Just watch Breaking Bad instead, if you haven't.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:53 am 

Azmodes wrote:
TD is definitely one of the best shows on right now, certainly the best I'm aware of. Everything's in order, but Matthew McConaughey especially does an amazing job. It's an addicting performance, really.

Seriously. He's an actor who has just been getting better and better. This show is outstanding.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm 

Anyone started Helix? I watched the pilot this week and I'll definitely continue. It's in the near future, in an arctic scientific base and the CDC has to deal with a virus infecting the base. Good acting and I feel the mystery will be fun to unveal!

Morrigan won't like that it's made by some people who did Battlestar Gallactica and Lost but the similarities doesn't seem to be quite there or at least not yet.

Oh and yeah, I have to watch True Detective!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:26 pm 

^The five episodes so far have been quite decent. I think it succeeds in getting its own kind of feel and creating something whole. Also, I like the creepily contrasting, cheery music!

Is it really set in the near future, though? I don't think it's ever explicit about it, but I got the impressions that events take place in the present.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 pm 

The technology is a bit too high tech to be set in the present in my opinion, I read somewhere that it was in the near future (maybe 10-15 years) but I can't remember where!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 am 

Mixed feelings about Helix, but I need to watch the two latest episodes. I'll probably do that tonight.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 am 

I watched True Detective cause all ya'll were talking about it ... and it rules! holy shit new favorite show! thank you.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 pm 

new True Detective tonight was really good!
that last scene, wow! from what i noticed it was all one shot. also waiting for the Cook to be revealed.. so we can see what we are up to

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm 

Yep, True Detective gets better and better... and there's still so much to unfold, it's almost ridiculous how good it already is at this early point. The soundtrack and the ending of the newest episode are just absolutely flawless.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:23 pm 

CoF wrote:
Yep, True Detective gets better and better... and there's still so much to unfold, it's almost ridiculous how good it already is at this early point. The soundtrack and the ending of the newest episode are just absolutely flawless.

The show is half over. I would hardly call it an early point in the story arc. Great show but the season is too short for the amount of awesomeness.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 182  Next