Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Whoa! Just noticed the lock on previous FFA. First post with a classic cover. :-D

Wow man, I totally forgot about this cover, great stuff. This was one of my favourites when I was 15.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Whoa! Just noticed the lock on previous FFA. First post with a classic cover. :-D

:headbang: :headbang: :bow: :hail:

My goddamn computer will be fixed by the end of the day. Two weeks without it!

Obligatory Last FM Link

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

Could anyone here tell me sth about "boxspring beds". They are available here in germany but rather unknown and
I don't really know what may be key points to look out for. Prices vary greatly but as I said - I don't know what
makes out a "good" or a "bad" one. Any ideas? And yes - I tried via google but most results were either leading
to way to pricey models or confusing me :(

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:01 pm 

Maybe it refers to something else in other countries, but here in 'Murca a bed typically has three parts:

1) The bed frame. Can be made of wood or metal.

2) The box spring - this looks similar to a mattress. It's an upholstered wood frame with springs inside. It's very stiff but provides some support.

3) The mattress itself, which goes on top of the box spring.

Spoiler: show

There's a bed with a metal frame, a box spring, and a mattress on top. I think lots of European beds don't really have a box spring (like a lot of Ikea beds for instance).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:04 pm 

Boxspring beds are pretty good

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm 

I'd caution you in getting one if you're planning on moving anytime soon. I've helped friends move them and found them pains in the ass.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Man, I really don't get what's so great about Children. I'll give them props for writing long songs that never really drag, but even then I still find the music within those long songs fairly uninteresting. "Nuclear Bummer" is pretty cool, but that's about it.

EDIT: Actually, I already take that back. I haven't listened to this in a year or so, but damn did "Power Spirit" start with the same riff for two and a half minutes? Jeez.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm 

Everyone interested in classical, ambient or just good dark music should check this out:

He's gonna release his first album at the end of march. I want this rather badly, but being located in Europe shipping costs will be enormous for me. Figured out that ordering 8 CDs will minimize shipping costs per album (they are generally pretty cheap actually), but I can't find that many items of interest in their catalogue. Any recommendations?

Still gonna be a lot cheaper than ordering CDs from German shops :roll:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
"Nuclear Bummer"

"God fucking dammit." *KABOOM!*

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm 

This got a laugh out of me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:30 pm 

Goatcraft is the shit, inhumanist

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1oxor0lj1Y

:headbang: :headbang: :bow: :hail:

Man, those songs were some of the finest Sabbath covers. I remember it like yesterday when I bought the NIB 1 tape.

Anyone checked out the new Pig Destroyer EP yet? It's been released to help out Pat Egan's (from Relapse Records) family. It's a two track EP with one of the songs clocking in at 19min O_O I'm giving it a listen now.
http://patlapse.bandcamp.com/album/mass-volume

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm 

Soundwave was kinda cool, ultimately! Slayer played Chemical Warfare, so I was real happy. All up their fast songs ripped. This is the 4th time I've seen Metallica and it was the best time. I've long had the theory that James's voice is best when he's not in the middle of an extended tour and here that proved true he sounded like a 30 year old again while the rest of the band was real tight too. I didn't think they were up to matching Slayer but I think they did. Ride the Lightning was probably my highlight. Crowd was intense. Anthrax played Indians, which was good because otherwise they were painfully mediocre so at least there was one song I enjoyed. Sitting through an entire Linkin Park set to see Metallica was probably the worst musical experience of my life. Kyuss was good but not as much as I was expecting. Thus concludes my ramble! Also Blink 182 were really, incredibly fun :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:23 pm 

caspian wrote:
Sitting through an entire Linkin Park set to see Metallica was probably the worst musical experience of my life.

But in the end it didn't even matter, right?

Paid of my speeding ticket today. Sitting in traffic court for a couple hours after driving a few more is probably more fun than a Linkin Park show.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm 

iAm wrote:
caspian wrote:
Sitting through an entire Linkin Park set to see Metallica was probably the worst musical experience of my life.

I think I got that reference. It's a lyric, am I right? I'm feeling guilty now of knowing it haha but fuck that, I blame my ex- for being a fan and cranking that shit out loud.

*whistles*
:oh shit:

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm 

iAM: yeah it didn't really matter. Metallica were awesome, far exceeding my expectations. Metal Militia was tight as and awesome as. Yeah LP were even worse than I was expecting; I appreciated some of their synth tones but the whole show was awful man. Chester whined throughout the entire show, sterile as hell (most of the band playing through headphones), way too much autotune on the vocals, really substandard rapping, every song sounding the same.. I dunno basically exactly what you'd expect.

Shouvince: man everyone knows that song, accept that, and while you're at it chill with the asinine posts.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm 

shouvince wrote:

I think I got that reference. It's a lyric, am I right? I'm feeling guilty now of knowing it haha but fuck that, I blame my ex- for being a fan and cranking that shit out loud.

Everyone was given a two week period to like Lincoln Park when they were thirteen. C'mon man, did you grow up under a rock?

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm 

Starting to enjoy Anathema now, never really liked them much before, but have always been intrigued by them. I think starting from the beginning and working forwards has helped, their first two doom metally ones were great. Enjoyed all the first four albums. Doing the same with Tiamat too, always kind of liked them, but never got into them properly. Both really cool bands. Will have to start buying some of their stuff next time I've got some free money.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm 

iAm wrote:
Everyone was given a two week period to like Lincoln Park when they were thirteen. C'mon man, did you grow up under a rock?

I never listened to Linkin Park as a child, because I hated rap and I thought they sucked ass.
Hehe, foreskins.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm 

I never got into them but I was just that little bit too old I think, which I'm relieved about. I was a huge Korn fan back in the day instead but whatever, Follow the Leader is waaaay better than anything Linkin ever did mang.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm 

Crick wrote:
iAm wrote:

I never listened to Linkin Park as a child, because I hated rap and I thought they sucked ass.

In my defense a cd was given to me for my birthday... I don't think I listened to it for more than a month.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm 

iAm wrote:
caspian wrote:

Nothing else matters.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm 

Hybrid Theory was my shit when I was 11 years old. Except for that whale-video song, I can't remember any of their stuff.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm 

I forgot what my title means. Isn't it some dude from South Park, or some such?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

From that entire wave of nu-bands, I think only Deftones did good.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:43 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:

Spoiler: show

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm 

Man, BSS, google is your friend (your only one, probably). Never forget that!

Also, I was a big Meteora fan back in the day, Faint is the shit hehe. Man, I thought the break was so heavy!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:

No fair! Why does he get to have Butters's name as his title?

And yeah, you could have just Googled that. I wonder why people still ask others for information when there are other ways of finding out.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Man, BSS, google is your friend (your only one, probably)!

Holy shit someone call an ambulance because we have a severe burn case here!

Last edited by Marag on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Hybrid Theory was my shit when I was 11 years old.

Ditto, I was a big fan of Meteora, as well. I remember that album had really cool packaging (the last time I looked at it I was 11, so it's completely possible that in reality it was totally lame). I agree, Deftones were really the only decent nu-metal band, unless you count SOAD, which was my favourite band when I was 12. Toxicity was my life for a little while. I still get nostalgic for their stuff sometimes.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Man, BSS, google is your friend (your only one, probably). Never forget that!

First, I have two friends, yes Google is one of them, but still! Secondly, Tony, you could really say that about anything. 90% of discussions here could be answered by googling, hell, pretty much anything could be answered by googling. But doesn't that take away human interaction or communication? When you can just "google it" rather than, you know, ask fellow humans?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm 

According to everyone since 2010, all nu-metal bands weren't really nu-metal bands. So there were no good nu-metal bands.
Hehe, foreskins.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm 

You can't google everything. Me for example. My name only turns up my old school, and I'm proud of it. Facebook on the other hand can eat shit and die.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm 

Wow, wasn't expecting so many people here to have suffered increased exposure to nu-metal.

I'm kind of grateful then that the scene never really arrived in my country...but then again, no metal scene is/was ever actually big here.
Oh well, sure I had some friends who listened to Linkin Park, Slipknot and the like, but I never payed attention to it. On the other hand, the alternative rock and pop punk bands retained their popularity well into the 2000s. This is for the rock genres and offspring, because South America has always produced their own crappy and popular local music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 pm 

So I found out I really enjoy Soilwork today...I doubt they'll be a band I can say 'this is great' about, but they do make very appealing ear candy, and once in a while wing out great fucking riffing. The choruses are a lot of fun too. Cool band, definitely preferable to the other big melodeath bands - mostly I think it's just the unabashed 'fun' sort of attitude, and the absence of trying to be anything besides that. Pretty enjoyable.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

Yeah, Bjorn has a penchant for 'fun' choruses. Most of the choruses have strong sing-along vibes to them. I've enjoyed a few songs from their previous albums. Anyway, is your judgement based on the new album or? I was disappointed with the new record and the only songs which were decent were the ones that were pre-released.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 pm 

I played Natural Born Chaos on Youtube. The middle of that album is ridiculously strong - toward the end it started to sound a little samey, but for a while they were all-guns-blazing. I'm about to try the new album - the ambitious double album thing plus the cool song titles intrigued me, and the couple I sampled earlier seemed pretty damn good.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So I found out I really enjoy Soilwork today...I doubt they'll be a band I can say 'this is great' about, but they do make very appealing ear candy, and once in a while wing out great fucking riffing. The choruses are a lot of fun too. Cool band, definitely preferable to the other big melodeath bands - mostly I think it's just the unabashed 'fun' sort of attitude, and the absence of trying to be anything besides that. Pretty enjoyable.

Weird, huh? Not to sully the experience, but to me it's like Soilwork has evolved into what I had hoped Killswitch Engage (or other bands of their ilk, for that matter) should have become over the past ten years. That's the closest comparison I can make since At the Gates isn't really applicable anymore.

My nu-metal familiarization was somewhat different. Instead of the Linkin Parks and Limp Bizkits whom I was still aware of just because they were inescapable, the bands that caught on more in my area were a lot of the second and third-raters. Guys like Dope, 40 Below Summer, Spineshank, and of course local "heroes" Mushroomhead and Swi1ched. Even then, Chimaira didn't really start to get a following until they changed direction on The Impossibility of Reason.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 am 

I'm sure I've said it before but I'm with dystopia on this one: Deftones were the only good nu-metal band. The first album was ok, but Around the Fur and White Pony were both excellent. Didn't care for the self-titled much, but Saturday Night Wrist was largely a return to form. I haven't heard the two newer ones yet. I should do that, but I won't hold my breath.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 am 

Speaking of Deftones, Psalms (featuring most of Isis and the Deftones frontman) should be out relatively soon:
http://www.theprp.com/2012/10/17/news/p ... t-release/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 518  Next