Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 am 

Saw the Lego Movie last night. Basically I was utterly entranced by the animation the entire time. Apparently they used microscopes on actual Lego pieces to generate textures and the cracks where two bricks meet and that sorta stuff, then they did all of the setbuilding using Lego's actual Lego Digital Designer software so that everything seen in the show are legit Lego bricks put together realistically. Then, all of the animation was done in a method that simulated live-action stop motion cinematography, so despite being CG the whole thing looks fucking meticulously stop motion animated. Pretty much nothing is non-Lego; explosions, laser blasts, flames, everything is built of Lego bricks.

The story was also pretty neat, loads of laughs, and even more loads of fan service to Lego and Lego-affiliated IP's (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Harry Potter, DC Comics stuff, etc.). Will Arnett's super moody and angsty Batman totally ruled, haha.

Great movie, can't wait for the sequels, etc.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 am 

That LEGO movie was great - if you think of all the things from our childhood so to speak that Hollywood has fucked up (Transformers, Star Wars prequels, GI Joe etc) they did a good job with it. BTW, there is a ten hour loop of that Everything Is Awesome song on youtube, that's your entertainment on your flight to Korea sorted out right there.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm 

It's been a long wait since this was announced sometime last year. The trailer's alright. I'm looking forward to seeing this just for old times sake...and that van!

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:55 am 

Edge of Tomorrow was definitely worth seeing. I echo the sentiments about the ending, though. It seemed thrown together at the last minute to achieve an all too convenient outcome. I've got back and forth with my friend trying to resolve why or how the ending transpired, but I keep coming back to that conclusion. There really doesn't seem to be an explanation.

To Thiestru's question:
Spoiler: show
Thiestru wrote:
When he asks her if she's tried having sex as a way to transfer the power, and she says yes, with whom did she have sex? Wouldn't that mean that someone else besides her and Tom Cruise had the power? Or was she trying to pass it along to someone else when she had it? The latter explanation doesn't seem to mesh with her burning desire to be the one to kill the Omega.

The Full Metal Bitch had a boyfriend/fiance/husband fighting alongside her in Verdun, when she had the Alpha's power. Remember she mentioned witnessing his death 300 times? Judging by her detachment, I figure she hadn't slept with anyone since then, so she was probably talking about him. And I'd imagine from there that she was try to transfer the power to him. It would have made things a lot easier for her--I mean, Tom Cruise's character had to start over with Metal Bitch every time he reset, but he had it easy because she was ready and willing to believe it, having had the power in the past. It would have been more difficult for Rita to convince her boyfriend who knew nothing about the power and never remembered anything about it.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 pm 

Edge of Tommorow was really fun to watch. It especially connects to those who are gamers and play the really difficult ones that require continous restarts via check points and saves. As for the ending, yeah. I agree, but not as negativly as others. Here's my thoughts on how it should have ended.

I could see two potential ways for it to be better.

The first is them just ending on a darker note and not having Cage recet at all, him and the rest having to truly sacirifice themselves to end the war.

The other is that Cage does recet but the aliens still survive and Cage has to keep fighting, but he accepts his role of being on the front line and can fight with his rank as an officer.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:22 am 

shouvince wrote:
It's been a long wait since this was announced sometime last year. The trailer's alright. I'm looking forward to seeing this just for old times sake...and that van!

I don't care what anyone says, I'm excited as fuck for this.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:39 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow was the best video game movie I've ever seen.

But forreal. Check it out. It's basically Groundhog Day: Starship Troopers Edition (only where the bugs are replaced with the mechazoids from The Matrix/Crysis), but it's good fun for what it is and packs more action in it than any of the franchises I've alluded to so far (even Crysis, you say? Especially Crysis.). Plus, it uses its gimmick wisely: it's a backbone from which to build its story, as opposed to a one-trick pony ala most Christopher Nolan films. (Speaking of: calling it now. Edge of Tomorrow outstrips Interstellar, hands down.)

Unfortunately, the ending is... uh... less than impressive. Thankfully, the movie survives because the whole damn point is the journey; not the resolution (oh hey, another tick against all-things-Nolan!).

All-in-all, a highly recommended junk sci-fi action film.

Basically this. Was very pleasantly surprised by this movie - I am often skeptical about Tom Cruise movies because I often feel like he's one of those cases where it feels like I am just watching the actor instead of the character he's trying to portray. Didn't feel like this at all with this one, and I think him starting off as a bumbling coward helped with this. I think the aliens where incredibly well done and more humanoid ones probably would have damaged the movie. I do have to agree that the ending was underwhelming.

I think it would have been better if they both died at the end as a sacrifice to save the world. The "everything works out for them in the end" thing is cheesy and boring.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 4.25/5

Really cool, slick action movie. The story, despite its time-bending madness, is pretty easy to follow and the characters are good for what they're going for. This might be my favorite Hugh Jackman as Wolverine performance, and the rest of the cast, including Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, is really good too. There isn't a lot to go into detail on besides that this is just a cool action/sci fi flick that keeps the thrills and action coming fast at you. It's entertaining and exactly what it needed to be.

Definitely the best Wolverine from the movies, although

Minor Nitpick: When young Magneto throws the concrete pieces to him, he seemed to be a tad hard than he should be, he sent the pieces away easily without the adamantium bone structure in his body and then just 1 of them on the back was enough... weird

About the sentinels:

Their overpowering nature was fucking awesome. It was painful to see how powerful they were but it made a lot of sense to explain how they could just wipe the mutants by thousands.

And I CAN'T buy McKellen's Magneto. Even if he got on roids for a decade he'll never look as imposing as the original character. Looked underwhelming a bit to me.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 pm 

Pompeii - Like Gladiator, only with Jon Snow from Game of Thrones in the Russell Crowe part, Mr. Eko from Lost in the Djimon Hounsou part, and PG-13 disaster movie stuff in the final 30 to 40 minutes. But nowhere near as good as Gladiator. Not especially recommended.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:32 am 

Dark of the Sun- Rod Taylor and Jim Brown are a pair of mercenaries in the Congo on a mission to rescue trapped civilians from sadistic rebel forces, and maybe snag up $50 million in diamonds on the way. This was a better flick than I thought it would be. Well acted and good action scenes. The movie is also surprisingly dark in tone and pretty violent for the time; there are a few genuinely gut-wreching moments in it, further amplified by the eerie progressive score. I really recommend it if you dig older action/adventure movies with a gritty edge.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm 

So I'll echo what everyone said about Edge of Tomorrow: mostly a great movie with a pretty shit ending that reeks of focus testing. I actually didn't find the romance aspect forced or flagrant. I think it was played relatively subtle. It was awesome to see Tom Cruise play with type, it's no secret that I love that man. Basically the best videogame movie ever while not being based on a videogame. Cool alien designs, cool concepts, slightly less cool shots during some of the action. I felt quite a few of the shots were blurry, and the 3D just added to the shittiness. I'm really not a fan of that type of modern hollywood action shooting, but at least it didn't have those constant, infuriating quick cuts. So I'll take what I can get.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:36 pm 

https://twitter.com/TMNT_Fansite/status ... 37/photo/1

That image about sums it up. Michael Bay, less can be more.....

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:10 pm 

That armor has too many things.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:53 pm 

It looks like the bastard mutation of Shredder, a transformer, Wolverine and Edward Scissorhands.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:31 pm 

Goddamn, it's not only the turtles that they've messed up, even Shredder hasn't been spared. This is such a far cry from the cartoons, 90s movies etc.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:05 pm 

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ju ... ttle-china

Great piece on cult films and why they almost invariably suck.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:19 pm 

I immediately stopped reading when the dude started shitting on Big Trouble in Little China and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, because those movies are fucking hilarious. And not unintentional, so-bad-they're-good hilarious; they're comedies that were intended to be funny and, guess what, they both were. I feel bad for that guy's sense of humor - it must have starved to death long ago.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 pm 

Yeah, he launched his rant based on one of the few John Carpenter movies I actually like.

I admit in the case of BTiLC, it's possible much of my appreciation is based on the factors he discussed near the end. No, I wasn't "with a girl I had a crush on" the first time I saw that movie, but I was probably in elementary school. And if you had given 9 year old me a few million dollars to make a movie, I probably would have included a lot of the same stuff: magic, martial arts, strange creatures. I remember laughing so hard when that expanding ninja exploded, I rewound that part over and over.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 pm 

That whole article was a lot of huffing and puffing without that much to really say. So he can name drop a bunch of old cult films and give shallow, never-elaborated-upon opinions on them, but it's OK because he constantly repeats the "cult movie fans don't want to share" mantra a few times? Cool. It's a two-paragraph article stretched out meaninglessly to a full page.

Cold Comes the Night - 4.25/5

Bryan Cranston and Alice Eve star in this seedy thriller about a nearly blind mafia man kidnapping a family to secure some drug money. I liked the eerily desolate setting, the acting was pretty first rate and the characters were well done - extra props for Eve's protagonist not just being eye candy there to look pretty, but actually out there doing shit. So refreshing to have that in any movie. Cranston kicks ass too, but that's to be expected. This was a bit on the short side and the ending tapered off a bit, but for the most part it was a highly enjoyable ride.

Devil's Knot - 4/5

Apparently this dramatization of a killing case in Arkansas in which three young boys were brutally murdered was panned due to not bringing anything new to the table compared to the highly successful real documentaries from years ago. I don't know, I haven't seen any of those other documentaries, but I thought this was an entertaining crime film. The acting was first rate and it had a lot to say about media perception and about how religion can work its way so deeply into the blood of these small towns. I'll have to see the documentaries.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 am 

Only Lovers Left Alive - I wasn't overly excited to see this since Jarmusch's recent output has been pretty dreadful, but Dead Man and some of his 80s movies are still favourites of mine. This is basically a vampire-allegory of The Fall, which becomes pretty much evident when you're introduced to main characters Adam and Eve. Adam is an underground musician and Eve is... i'm not sure. Nothing much happens but that's kind of the point, the characters slowly self-destruct reminiscing about the past and how shitty man has become. Anyway, it's a solid film which, given the material, could easily have been overbearing and dogmatic. The main problem it spends so much time establishing Adam as a cool rocker who wrote songs for Schubert and knew Byron and Galileo and this is rubbed in your face for a good hour. Also the idea of 20th century underground rock heroes as the modern Bachs and Shakespeares is more than a bit iffy. So yeah, another movie about social misfits but I saw it as a decent return to form. John Hurt is terrific as usual but I think Tilda Swinton needs to disappear for a while, she seems to pop up in every new movie I go to see.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:50 am 

Expedience wrote:
Adam is an underground musician and Eve is... i'm not sure.

I think the film was portraying them as having two different but related approaches to immortality - Adam is a creator of art, while Eve is a consumer. There was tons of that kind of thing, with the names, him wearing black and her wearing white, and I think there was even a shot that hat them explicitly lying in a sort of Yin Yang position. Anyway I thought it was a pretty cool film, definitely the best recent vampire movie.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:57 pm 

Well yeah, the movie went to lengths to show how different they were but in the end with the entanglement thing it wasn't clear whether it was Adam giving in to Eve's way or the other way round. At one stage Eve gives him a lecture about just enjoying life rather than brooding about, but both of them still refuse to kill. Maybe it was neither and the Genesis comparisons shouldn't be taken too literally.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:54 pm 

I don't think either of them "gave in" to the other's way of life, it was more about Adam regaining faith in his own way, what with finding that new protege to mentor and whatnot. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:17 am 

Sleepaway Camp - This is an ordinary low budget horror movie in many ways, but wow, that ending floored me the first time I saw it.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:51 pm 

^ *Checks Google Images for "Sleepaway Camp ending" to see if movie I was thinking of, not gonna sleep anytime soon*

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:53 pm 

Somebody on the IMDB forums uses the Sleepaway Camp "evil face" as an avatar. :eek:

I think the first time I rented that movie, the boxcover actually showed that face, instead of the knife through the sneaker. Even the face is rather spoiler-ish, but I was still completely punched in the gut by the final few minutes.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 am 

Need help identifying a horror movie..,

Essentially, a woman is haunted by this black smokey mist and the film ends with her in a new house realizing it has followed her again. It's like late 70s or early 80s. I could be mistaken and it may be an episode of Tales from the Darkside or something. Not sure.

I just remember the grainy black mist floating in the room and the woman slowly turning around to see it. Any idea?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:00 am 

Saw that 300 sequel...pretty much a load of boring crap. CGI looked way worse than the first movie, the story felt like it was aware of its own boringness and kept trying to make references to the first movie and the events at Thermopylae, the combat scenes were mostly boring, terrible pacing, etc. Not even Eva Green's boobs could save it.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 pm 

I think The Raid 2: Berandal might be even better than the first movie (edit:fuck it, it is better than the first). Started the movie worried about the 2:30 hour runtime along with the plot/premise being quite a bit more complex than the last movie. Incredible execution when it comes to the tension, action, and even the drama. The violence and gore was so well done that you'd think the actors were actually getting their heads smashed in.

Hammer Girl might be my new favorite movie miniboss.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:17 pm 

^ Totally agree with that. Hammer Girl <3

Raid 2 is definitely one of the (if not THE) best movies to come out this year so far for me. It's better than Raid 1 in terms of the characterization and also the story. Btw, Gareth Evans says that the next Raid movie will be more of a prequel and showcase the origin stories of Hammer Girl, Baseball bat-man and others.

In shitty movie news, TMNT released their second trailer. And fuck! This abomination releases in theatres on my birthday.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 pm 

"So they're aliens?"
"No, that's stupid. They're turtles."

Ha freaking ha Michael Bay, playing off early fan rage about changing the origin story. Going back and making fun of the rumor dosn't do you credit cause the product still looks like it needs to be saved.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Need help identifying a horror movie..,

Essentially, a woman is haunted by this black smokey mist and the film ends with her in a new house realizing it has followed her again. It's like late 70s or early 80s. I could be mistaken and it may be an episode of Tales from the Darkside or something. Not sure.

I just remember the grainy black mist floating in the room and the woman slowly turning around to see it. Any idea?

Was it The Entity?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 am 

My top movies so far this year are How To Train Your Dragon 2 and The Raid 2. Only other notable movies off the top of my head look to be Sin City and Hobbit. I wouldve added Expendables 3, but they manage to fuck that up already.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 am 

New Mad Max apparently, with Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/58450 ... first-look

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am 

Cloverfield - I often say that Friday the 13th Part VI has the best opening scene of all time. This is the opposite end of the spectrum. Among movies that I generally enjoyed, I can't think of one that gets off to a worse start than Cloverfield.

I realize that even in an action / horror thing, you need to establish who the characters are. And in found footage, you need to explain why they happen to be filming everything. But the first ~20 minutes were already getting on my nerves, then it descended into high school gossip territory. "Dude, Rob and Beth slept together!" Awful.

Fortunately just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, the monster stuff started happening. 20 terrible minutes followed by 55 of pretty well done action (yes, ignoring the end credits this movie is about 75 minutes long) - I guess the good stuff outweighs the bad.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 am 

Haha yeah, that opening scene in Cloverfield really does need some serious editing, but I do enjoy the movie on the whole.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am 

I had seen Cloverfield once before, when it was fairly new on DVD. I knew re-watching it I'd have the same problem with the opening as I had the first time, but this time was slightly less painful because I amused myself by pointing out actors and actresses I didn't know a few years ago. "Hey look, 'Barbie' from Under the Dome is dancing with the nurse from Evil Dead! And is that Juice from Sons of Anarchy?"

Problem is, the movie was already so short, if they trimmed the opening the runtime would have been barely more than an hour, minus end credits. I think they should have rewritten the script so that the main group who went on the quest had at least a couple more people. Then the monster portion of the movie could have been longer, with an extra death scene or two.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:06 pm 

The Raid 2 was fucking rubbish.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 pm 

I can't say the first The Raid did much for me, despite all the handjobbing people here seem to give it. Of course it doesn't help that I watched it in terrible fucking dubbed English. Did most people here see it subtitled? Not that that would really save it much, most of the drama bits seemed like they spoke the international language of suckballs. Yeah, some of the fighting was pretty badass, but still... not a particularly good film. I'd still watch the second one out of curiosity, though.

Saw Prisoners the other night. It was pretty well done, definitely one of the best thrillers/crime films I've seen in a while. The only things that bugged me were
the semi-weak portrayal of the killer's motivation and the fact that the girls were kept drugged up for days on end instead of just being killed...? Just sat oddly with me that they'd be put in a room and just hang out there long enough to get rescued.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:13 pm 

I think the point was never to kill them. That one red herring managed to escape, and Paul Dano was just raised by the family. I think the woman was only about to kill her at the end because she knew she was busted. I dunno, it was kind of confusing and I had my own problems with the movie, so eh.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476 ... 819  Next