Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Well even the first movie had a little goofiness to some of Freddy's actions, particularly the phone turning into his tongue.

True. The interesting thing (in my opinion) is how Freddy's Revenge is the darkest of the first six films. It gets so much hate for the "homoerotic" subtext, but it has a pretty cool atmosphere and a far more interesting concept than the films that revolved around Alice. The third one struck a nice balance between both extremes and is probably the first one to track down after viewing the original. The three that followed are equally abysmal, and for some reason Englund's makeup started to look like shit. It looked like his face was plastered with bubblegum.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Well even the first movie had a little goofiness to some of Freddy's actions, particularly the phone turning into his tongue.
True. The interesting thing (in my opinion) is how Freddy's Revenge is the darkest of the first six films. It gets so much hate for the "homoerotic" subtext, but it has a pretty cool atmosphere and a far more interesting concept than the films that revolved around Alice. The third one struck a nice balance between both extremes and is probably the first one to track down after viewing the original. The three that followed are equally abysmal, and for some reason Englund's makeup started to look like shit. It looked like his face was plastered with bubblegum.
I actually liked Freddy's Revenge. Never thought about it having a homoerotic subtext, apart from the obvious gay bar and towel whipping scenes, until I watched the Never Sleep Again documentary, where it was mentioned and discussed in great detail. Freddy's Revenge was a bizarre trip of a film, incredibly gross transformations and at times almost reinventing the rules of slashers, such as when Freddy emerges at the party and just randomly kills everyone. It's also hard to pin-point what's dream and what isn't, which is a style and atmosphere I would have liked to have seen more of.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 am 

If you dug Freddy's Revenge, you'll enjoy the below quite a bit.

http://staticmass.net/jesses-lost-journals-preface/

This is something called "Jesse's Lost Journal". It's a 68-part series of journal writings by Jesse's actor Mark Patton in-character as Jesse. He describes these as "subtext writings", exploring the themes and events of Freddy's Revenge from Jesse's perspective, as well as events leading up to and following the movie. I'm a total sucker for in-universe stuff like this, so it's a really interesting read.

--

In regards to the Nightmare series, Freddy's Revenge is certainly a ton better than the Alice movies and Freddy's Dead (although I'm certain an infected hemorrhoid is better than Freddy's Dead). I'd put it right under Dream Warriors in the grand scheme of the series, although not as close as I'd put Dream Warriors under the first movie; it's one of the only times in horror history I can think of where a sequel was as good and possibly even a little better than the original.

Also, the vein marionette death scene in Dream Warriors is probably the most uncomfortable death in the whole series for me. Just the thought of what's happening to the guy in that scene is incredibly disturbing.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:24 am 

Subrick wrote:
If you dug Freddy's Revenge, you'll enjoy the below quite a bit.

http://staticmass.net/jesses-lost-journals-preface/

This is something called "Jesse's Lost Journal". It's a 68-part series of journal writings by Jesse's actor Mark Patton in-character as Jesse. He describes these as "subtext writings", exploring the themes and events of Freddy's Revenge from Jesse's perspective, as well as events leading up to and following the movie. I'm a total sucker for in-universe stuff like this, so it's a really interesting read..
Wow, thanks for the link, Subrick. :thumbsup: I definitely enjoy in-universe stuff when it's from people who helped make it happen. Adds a certain legitimacy that's really worth the time.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:49 pm 

Speaking of horror movies, I just caught up with the rest of the universe and watched The Blair Witch Project. I guess I can say it wasn't quite what I was expecting; I thought there'd be more focus on building the creepy atmosphere/supernatural elements, while a majority of the tension ended up coming from watching the group fight and grow increasingly desperate. So it was still tense, just didn't end up taking the route I had expected. The final sequence was pretty scary, though.

Granted, that may also have been because the creepiness in the film seemed pretty mundane to me; what was likely scary as hell in 1994 seems pretty bland in today's world of found-footage-horror-overdose. I suppose it's a film that really hasn't aged well, even though it codified the found footage trope and is still better than the majority of Paranormal Activities and their ilk.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm 

The Hercules trailer is so awful! (this is the one with Dwayne Johnson)
Spoiler: show

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm 

shouvince wrote:
The Hercules trailer is so awful! (this is the one with Dwayne Johnson)

Apart from the cliche fade-to-black repeatedly with epic sound effect, the CGI looks like it's from 2007 or before.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:35 pm 

Wow yeah that CGI is very apparent.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am 

Just finished watching Only Lovers Left Alive by Jim Jarmusch. Tilda S. and Tom Hiddlestone are a couple of ancient vampires living in the modern world: he is a depressed and overtly existentialist rock musician, she lives in the west in exotic places.
It has a really nice atmosphere and ambientation, there's a noticeable noire/hip vibe in the characters and scenarios (this movie reminded me of Nadja, another hipster-vampire movie from the 90s)
The characters are depressed and cultured vampires, of course the movie is full of literary references and pretentious dialogues about art and life, but I enjoy that kinda shit. O.L.L.A is some kind of vampiric, noire version of Before Sunrise (?). Nice movie for a rainy, boring night.

EDIT: I dunno if it was the whole eerie and noire vibe, the locations, the hairstyle or what, but they made Tilda Swinton look like the sexiest and most fuckable thing on earth. It felt weird (?)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm 

I think I'm becoming that guy who posts links to movie-trailers, but anywho, thought I'd share the trailer to the new TMNT movie.

I find the turtles' faces a bit odd looking since I'm so used to the cartoons and the 90s movies.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 pm 

They look pretty bad.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm 

That mouth looks like a Grinch mouth.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm 

I think they would have looked stupid no matter what design was chosen. Does anyone honestly believe even the old film's turtles looked good? The design of the turtles are so inherently cartoonish that unless you just completely changed what they looked like they are bound to come out really goofy looking.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 pm 

Yeah man, the old movie their mouths stuck out further, like sorta beak-ish. Setting the whole mouthparts bit back toward the face makes them too awkwardly human. The 90's movie mouths definitely look better, even if they weren't as good at looking like they were saying what the voices were saying.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:00 pm 

That looks fucking awful. Even worse than what they did to Transformers. Those faces look more like gorillas now than anything. Fuck Michael Bay.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm 

I really wasn't as perturbed by the appearances of the turtles as I was by the inclusion of Megan Fox as April. Yeah, the turtles look really stupid and deformed and kinda roided up, but Megan Fox being the lead actress just completely sucked me out of the movie's world, which is the total opposite of what a movie should do. Considering her acting has not improved one iota in ten years of being in movies, this is going to be a painful, sad experience.

Oh well. At least there's still the kick ass new TMNT cartoon on Nickelodeon.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:05 pm 

I will be pretending this doesn't exist.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:08 pm 

Guardians of the Galaxy opens the weekend before Michael Bay's "Jizz on the Face of a Franchise" Part 38, so everybody should just go see the former again rather than waste money on the latter.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:28 pm 

I feel like I'm alone.....but I'll give it a chance. Atleast until the next trailer which could chang everything. I was truly expecting worse, but honestly, it dosn't look that bad. Dosn't really look that good either. I don't know, the jury is still out for me so I'm reserving judgement for now.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I think I'm becoming that guy who posts links to movie-trailers, but anywho, thought I'd share the trailer to the new TMNT movie.

I find the turtles' faces a bit odd looking since I'm so used to the cartoons and the 90s movies.

I think it's the nostrils.

As for the movie, it looks like Transformers with creepy looking human turtles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453556/ Is it too late for a sequel to this?

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 pm 

More Youtube trailers!

So they're actually making Phantasm V now? Damn, good for The Tall Man for still being healthy enough to act even though he's getting close to 90.

Quote:
Considering [Megan Fox's] acting has not improved one iota in ten years of being in movies, this is going to be a painful, sad experience.

I don't care much about the Ninja Turtles either way, but I honestly never got the "hot chick, but she's terrible with dialogue" reaction from anything I've seen Megan Fox in. Which would be the first two Transformers movies, Jennifer's Body, and This Is 40 (Minutes Too Long). I almost rented Jonah Hex once, but decided against it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm 

Jennifer's Body and Jonah Hex are both horrible, miserable experiences.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm 

What he said, although Jonah Hex for me is so infinitely worse than Jennifer's Body that it's kind of insane, and Jennifer's Body sucked already. For comparison's sake, Jennifer's Body is probably a 1.5 out of 5. Jonah Hex is a -3 out of 5.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 pm 

Jonah Hex was just a mess, but I forgot most of it afterwards. Jennifer's Body was actively, ear-piercingly annoying. Because of that movie I doubt I can ever find Megan Fox hot again.

But enough about these two turds.

Conviction - 4/5

Really good. Hilary Swank stars in an Oscar-bait role as a woman trying to pass law school to get her wrongfully convicted brother out of prison for a murder charge. She does a great job, and so does Sam Rockwell as her brother - both of them really knock it out of the park and you get to care about their characters a lot. The story is engrossing and well paced, starting off with flashbacks put in at the right time to give the film a sense of the artistic. Sometimes it gets a bit cheesy, as some real-life adaptations are wont to do simply to try and give it a sort of "feel good" atmosphere. But mostly it's a really enjoyable, compelling film. Recommended.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:56 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
So they're actually making Phantasm V now? Damn, good for The Tall Man for still being healthy enough to act even though he's getting close to 90..
Something's not right about the film footage, maybe it's the HD but it looks way too youtube-indie-horror with random seemingly unnecessary CGI, like Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, only less stylized and less locations. I haven't enjoyed a Phantasm movie since the second and select parts of the third.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 pm 

Bought and watched "Wolf of Wall Street" last night. This is easily one of Scorcese's best flicks EVER. The movie is insane, there's just so much going for it. Hilarious dialogue, drug-induced hijinks, ludicrous amounts of T&A&V, and DiCaprio's awesome performence as the main character. Not to mention that for 3-hour movie, it passes by pretty nicely, though I would have snipped a few things here and there.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 am 

Regarding the weird turtles' faces: @rexxz, I loved the old films. Yeah, goofy customers et al, but it seemed to resemble the cartoons the best.

I think another problem I have with the way they're portraying the characters is that they're missing the whole "teenage" element. Maybe it's just me but from the little glimpses we've have, those turtles look like mid 20s or 30s gym-bros.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:51 am 

Other than the third film (Jesus what happened THERE?) the costumes in the original films were alright. It can't be easy transposing cartoons to real live with any degree of accuracy. If you ever want to complain about the turtles' costumes in the first two movies I refer you delightfully to this:

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 am 

Honestly even more than the weird mouths and noses and Megan Fox, what bothers me is the tone of the trailer. FFS, it's called TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, but the trailer is all serious violence and terrorists and buildings exploding and ominous BWUMS? The franchise is about ridiculous animal people beating up robots and evil ninjas with cheesy kung-fu and corny jokes, not Michael Bay-style "blow everything up" action. I mean fuck, at least Transformers lends itself to that kind of action, but TMNT is completely different.

Basically, fuck Michael Bay.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 am 

On a lark, I looked up the budget of the movie. The new TMNT movie's budget is $125 million. By comparison, the original TMNT movie's budget was $13.5 million in 1990, which nowadays is $25 million when rounded up because of inflation. The only reason this movie has a nine figure budget is because Michael Bay's involved. Can someone explain to him that nine figure budgets =/= better movies? The Transformers movies are testament to that. Also, in what universe would a TMNT movie need a nine figure budget? What the hell would nine figures accomplish in a TMNT movie aside from disgusting amounts of CGI and explosions?

To reiterate, go see Guardians of the Galaxy again the week this thing opens. At least that movie looks like good old stupid fun, and it might have the Episode VII teaser on it if my predictions are correct.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:22 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Honestly even more than the weird mouths and noses and Megan Fox, what bothers me is the tone of the trailer. FFS, it's called TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, but the trailer is all serious violence and terrorists and buildings exploding and ominous BWUMS? The franchise is about ridiculous animal people beating up robots and evil ninjas with cheesy kung-fu and corny jokes, not Michael Bay-style "blow everything up" action. I mean fuck, at least Transformers lends itself to that kind of action, but TMNT is completely different.

Basically, fuck Michael Bay.

Don't forget, we also had the "pitch-increasing voooooooowweeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Though maybe I just have lingering resentment toward live-action TMNT because my mom wouldn't let me watch the live action show in 2nd grade; she said, after a villain summoned an evil spirit, that it was "too cultish."

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am 

To be fair I've never really liked TMNT. It has pretty much always lacked an aspect of seriousness which enthralls sticks in the mud such as myself :). Maybe the NES games scarred me and that's why I dislike the franchise.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
FFS, it's called TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, but the trailer is all serious violence and terrorists and buildings exploding and ominous BWUMS? The franchise is about ridiculous animal people beating up robots and evil ninjas with cheesy kung-fu and corny jokes, not Michael Bay-style "blow everything up" action.

I guess you missed the boat seeing as they already made three of those films in the early nineties. Last time I checked, those were pretty great and goofy, as well as serious in spots. Also, Michael Bay isn't directing, so you'd probably do best to put your super-aggro GRRR somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyody's seen Sabotage yet. I'm all about gun-centric ultra-violence and that movie looks like it has it in spades. Also, had to do some digging but unless you're in Los Angeles or New York, The Raid 2: Berandal isn't getting a wide release in the states for another two weeks. I'm still stoked as shit.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:13 pm 

Eh, the first live action TMNT movie was pretty good for what it was. It was a well enough mix of the cartoon's kid friendly elements with some grittier stuff (there's quite a bit of swearing from the turtles in it, actually). The second one got a bit too kid friendly for its own good, and the third just sucked.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I guess you missed the boat seeing as they already made three of those films in the early nineties. Last time I checked, those were pretty great and goofy, as well as serious in spots. Also, Michael Bay isn't directing, so you'd probably do best to put your super-aggro GRRR somewhere else.

Every single clause of this whole paragraph deserves its very own facepalm.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm 

Just because Bay isn't directing doesn't mean it won't blow. The director is Jonathan Liebsman, director of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning", "Battle: Los Angeles" and "Wrath of the Titans", which as we know were ALL cinematic masterpieces! :annoyed:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:33 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Don't forget, we also had the "pitch-increasing voooooooowweeeeeeeeeeeeee."
Damn, I truly hate that cliche. It's in every episode of Lost and countless other tv-shows to 'build' up tension.
Metal_Jaw wrote:
Just because Bay isn't directing doesn't mean it won't blow. The director is Jonathan Liebsman, director of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning"
That's all that needed to be said. Who'd have thought you could actually make an origin story of Leatherface boring. Liebsman obviously never learnt that visuals aren't the heart of a movie.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:26 am 

The Conjuring - 8.5 out of 10.

Wow......this is one of the best horror films made in YEARS. The subtlety of the scares is so nice, it has some standard jump scares which are good in their own right, but it goes back to basics of door slowly creeping, lights flickering, a noise down the hall. And honestly, it feels like they took everything great about The Exorcist and everything great about Poltergiest and managed to combine them into a damn great film.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:36 am 

Aurone wrote:
The Conjuring - 8.5 out of 10.

Wow......this is one of the best horror films made in YEARS. The subtlety of the scares is so nice, it has some standard jump scares which are good in their own right, but it goes back to basics of door slowly creeping, lights flickering, a noise down the hall. And honestly, it feels like they took everything great about The Exorcist and everything great about Poltergiest and managed to combine them into a damn great film.

I fully agree. I've never seen a movie twice in theatre, but for The Conjuring I went back three times. It reaches right down to the root of genuine fear, so it's very relatable and the feeling, rather than single visual scenes, sticks with you.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:44 am 

Recently saw it a second time (for the blog) - I really don't see anything scary about it. One of the more poorly written and boring horror movies to get a mainstream audience. But then again I guess that's kinda the norm. Just bad characters and limp, flaccid scares. People like it, I dunno - good for you. I guess I don't get it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467 ... 819  Next