Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:12 pm 

Any feedback on the Showtime/Storytime DVD from Nightwish? I have seen a few live clips with Floor and my interest in the group has been renewed, I feel some songs may be represented better than ever now. Has anyone watched this one/is it worth it?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:33 pm 

I had no idea the job market was so bad. Around here I see 'now hiring' signs almost everyday. Also I'm pretty oblivious due to thefact tthat I'm over employed. Not in the sense that I work a job that I'm not qualified for but in the sense that I work way too many damn hours (mostly due to the severe lack of intelligence in the management of my division). Just this week I put in 39.5 hours in three days. Typically I do 60+ a week usually 12-14 hour shifts.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Any feedback on the Showtime/Storytime DVD from Nightwish? I have seen a few live clips with Floor and my interest in the group has been renewed, I feel some songs may be represented better than ever now. Has anyone watched this one/is it worth it?

It's quite good. Floor is so fucking good, especially on the old songs (although pretty much every Nightwish fan is in accordance with Anette having been awful with the old material), that you'll forget there was ever a singer between Tarja and her. The Wacken show itself is worth the price.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm 

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that's growing and has a lot of jobs everywhere. Although I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do once I graduate from college.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:45 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's quite good. Floor is so fucking good, especially on the old songs (although pretty much every Nightwish fan is in accordance with Anette having been awful with the old material), that you'll forget there was ever a singer between Tarja and her. The Wacken show itself is worth the price.

Yup, Floor's stage presence is superb, better than even Tarja.Tuomas is still faking a lot of the keyboard sections and feigning like he is playing a lot of passages that he really isn't, which is incredibly irritating (to me, at least).
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 pm 

Yea, its starting to irritate me also. Even though he writes most of the material, in essence, he's just some guy posing behind an instrument and trying to be a pirate. Also, it's taking me a while, but I think I'm warming up to Floor. I was the same way with Anette, I didn't like her voice at first, but her sharper and more playful voice was still able to soar and soothe at some points. I miss her, but hopefully the next release will really showcase Floor's strong points and we will get a taste of her creativity.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm 

Floor is too good for Nightwish as they are now.

So is Marco Hietala for that matter.

You know what, let's just pretend they broke up after Once.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Hell the worst thing wasn't actually the shipping of an item to me, it was actually this week my Sunn Alpha 212 showed up so my wife took it in and opened it up cause she thought it was the Vomitwolves shirts I had pressed... immediately got pissed and texted me going "You got another amp?! >:("
I try to have my stuff shipped else where or be home prior to my wife to intercept it and spirit it away into my truck or back to my shed before she even knows....

:lol:
My wife gets this sort of attitude with the fishing gear I buy with the comment "you bought another rod?! Don't you have enough already?" and of course the answer is always no. You can never have enough. Clearly.

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, it's fucking obscene really. In this area, a small 1 bedroom apartment will run you something like $1100 on average, a 2 BR more like $1400 and a 3 BR will be around $1800-$2000/month. Gas and food are expensive, taxes are high. Plus, even though I technically live in the DC suburbs, it's still a huge pain in the ass to get into the city: an hour drive (plus a lot, due to traffic) or a ~20 minute drive to the nearest subway station, the walk from the massive parking lots/garages to the actual train proper, the wait for the train, then a ~40 minute train ride. If I were to move closer in or into the city itself to cut back on some of those commute hours/dollars, the rent would keep on climbing. A new apartment complex built at a closer-in suburb that would be within closer distance of a lot of jobs has these prices: studio apartments - $1430 - $1590; 1 BR - $1750 - $1950; 2 BR - $2240 - $2860.

Holy toledo batman! Our mortgage isn't that extreme. Mind you, we don't have a palace (2-3 bedroom house), and have quite a lot of renovations to do, but it still works out cheaper than if we were renting, and it's close to everything, train stations, schools, shops, restaurants and more importantly, walking distance to a couple of pubs :grin: - plus we bought the place when house prices were cheap. When we're done and want to sell, we'll be doubling our original purchase price.

That teaching job in Korea sounds like it could be something exciting though.

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Wait, what? I haven't noticed anything like this... are you playing songs through the radio station or something?

Isn't that the only way to do it? I just do what I always have, gone to "my mix" and normally I will get the studio version of songs (or live if it specifies) with images of the band shown while it plays and an advertisement now and again. The last two times I attempt to play my mix, it links me to random Youtube videos of people covering the song instead of the actual song itself. I noticed on the bottom bar it says "suggest a better video for this song". Why is there a video at all though? What? Why? How? Etc.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 pm 

I'd even say that was relatively cheap for DC. You say you were out in the suburbs? I'm here on a two-year job, and have basically given up any hope of saving any money for when I go back home. It costs silly money in the city proper, like Manhattan or central London. My original plan is that this would earn me the money to be stable while I jobhunt back in the UK, if need be, but that's unlikely to happen at all. I guess you can share with somebody, but I feel I only want to share with someone I particularly like at this point: my last flatmate here, a "friend" from my football team, who turned out to be a bit of a tool to live with (and, has just got a job with the NRA)... I can't face another experience like that. Too many things we disagreed on, and I don't much fancy the Craigslist lottery.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
Wait, what? I haven't noticed anything like this... are you playing songs through the radio station or something?

Isn't that the only way to do it?

So you've never, say, linked the program to your media player and just let it automatically read and scrobble what you were playing from there? Because that's how like 80-90% of the website's users use it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:05 am 

Oh, yeah. I forgot you lived in this area. That first set of prices I quoted are for apartments here in Germantown (in Montgomery County) while the second set was from an apartment complex in Bethesda (North Bethesda, actually; Bethesda proper is probably pricier still). In the actual city is ridiculous. I've seen apartment buildings in Foggy Bottom ask over $2k/month for studios, $3k or more for a 2BR and like $4-5k for a 3 BR apartment.

And yeah, Crushed, you can typically save a lot of money by buying a house, as you can get a mortgage that winds up making your monthly payments way lower than typical rent for a similar sized house in the area, but then again you've gotta have a boatload of cash for the down payment and a pretty squeaky clean credit history to do it. I'm not in any position to do that at the moment and even if I was, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a house in this area. So yeah, fuck the States, Hail to Korea.

Diamhea, I mainly use last.fm to keep track of the stuff I listen to via scrobbling, to see upcoming live events and to see what kinds of stuff it suggests to me based on what I scrobble. I don't use it as some sort of ghetto radio. Your complaint sounds like Jerry Seinfeld's dad complaining about the tip calculator on his expensive new PDA not really working correctly. "It does other things!"

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 am 

To MutantClannfear:

No, no I didn't know that. Guess that would solve my issue(s) then. Forgive me, I was just using it on the browser, I am new to Last.FM. Thank you for the clarification.

Last.fm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 am 

Arkhane wrote:
I called my local post office to see if I can file a complaint or something, and they told me to talk to the mailman directly. So I left him a nice little note explaining that my package was damaged, and my paper mail was scattered through my front yard.

I have a grand idea: take your written note and rubberband it around a baseball, pumpkin or other hard object. After he places your mail and he's walking back to his mail truck, go, "hey, fuckface," and just peg the shit out of him with the baseball/pumpkin and tell him to, "read that shit."

I prefer the one-two, "oops, it went in the butthole on accident" move. Peg him with a pumpkin, and when he turns around, chuck a baseball at his face with the note. That'd be pretty goddamn funny, I think.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 am 

Ellen Page has come out of the closet...

...now there is no hope...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:59 am 

That image says so much yet so little.

Last.fm

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:32 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Don't do it! It's not worth the ensuing trilogy of mindless buttonmashing!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:22 am 

Pippin_Took wrote:
I'd even say that was relatively cheap for DC. You say you were out in the suburbs? I'm here on a two-year job, and have basically given up any hope of saving any money for when I go back home. It costs silly money in the city proper, like Manhattan or central London. My original plan is that this would earn me the money to be stable while I jobhunt back in the UK, if need be, but that's unlikely to happen at all. I guess you can share with somebody, but I feel I only want to share with someone I particularly like at this point: my last flatmate here, a "friend" from my football team, who turned out to be a bit of a tool to live with (and, has just got a job with the NRA)... I can't face another experience like that. Too many things we disagreed on, and I don't much fancy the Craigslist lottery.

Your tax dollars at work! From what I've read, DC is like that because of all the short-term, highly paid government workers.

One thing I'm jealous of comparing the USA to Australia is the number of small-but-decent cities you have. In Australia, literally everything is packed into the state capitals which drives the prices up massively. Your choices are to work in agriculture or mining and live in the boondocks, or pay through the nose to live in one of 5 major cities which are increasingly becoming overcrowded and difficult to live in. As a lifestyle choice, I'm hugely envious of your college towns (being just about to finish a qualification in academic librarianship). I'd love to be able to live and work in a place that had the amenities and atmosphere of a small country town while working an interesting job and being surrounded by like minded people (rather than rednecks).

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:42 am 

I'm in the "Nightshade Forests is Summoning's best release" camp, too! Well, unless the newest or the debut change my mind.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 am 

Nightshade Forests is pretty cool, but my favourite Summoning record is definitely Dol Guldur. The immersion is just unrivaled.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am 

http://peopleoftheblackcircle.blogspot. ... flesh.html

This guy talked about this place in his blog. :-P

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:06 am 

Some photos I took today of the town Romsey,

Spoiler: show

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 am 

Neat pics, mindshadow. Gotta love some architectural grotesques. As an American I envy your plenitude of odd-faced knobs. Lucky fucking bastard...

@TeachingEnglishinSouthKorea: I'm sure waiguoren could weigh in fairly meaningfully on just how "exciting" that line of work is. Still, I wish you well, batman! The South Koreans won't be able to tell you apart from Ben Affleck and you can proceed to cut a swath through their as-yet-uncolonized womenfolk. Then, once you've tired of easy conquests, you can sneak over the border into enemy territory and embark upon the most dangerous successful dating spree in recorded history.

@RidiculousRentalPrices: The rent on our 2BM apartment in Brooklyn is just now going up to $1,600/mo (beat that, motherfuckers!!!). And I'm still paying for all of it myself with my "office monkey" job, so I guess it's possible to make that equation work. Unless you guys are supporting families or have insane student loan payments or something, no mercy!!!!!! :panda:

@NightshadeForestsIsTheBestSummoningAlbum: I'd say Nightshade Forests and Dol Guldur are essentially equal in their overall merits/quality. NF just stands out to me a tiny bit more because of how condensed its awesome is, and because the nuances of a lot of the songs on there have a slightly unique/curious quality in comparison to the rest of the Summoning catalogue. But yeah, DG/NF is Summoning's peak, for me. That period of theirs has such a special vibe to it.
I think I'd rate Mortal Heroes higher if it weren't so annoyingly riddled with media/vocal samples. That stuff pulls me out of the musical experience at times in a way that I kind of hate. Up through Stronghold that shit was basically nowhere to be found and that's part of why their earlier period works better, imo.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm 

Jesus, looking at these rent prices make me realize how lucky I am that I'm paying $420 a month for rent/utilities for a 5 bedroom apartment in Chicago. Granted, it's on the far northwest side of the city, but it's only about a 45 minute public transportation ride to downtown and like a 15 minute bike ride to my university.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Gotta love some architectural grotesques

These are my favs,

I went to Notre Dame once, they're bloody scary!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:08 pm 

Nebster173 wrote:
http://peopleoftheblackcircle.blogspot.com/2012/06/exodus-pleasures-of-flesh.html

"Concentration camp of retardation"? Well..... That's a new one.

@Mindshadow: ever considered being a photographer? Those are some damn pretty pictures.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:16 pm 

I love that. "If you weren't born in the 80s and you like Bonded By Blood over Pleasures of the Flesh, you're obviously a trend whore and just doing it to look cool on Facebook." People like that are the plague of the Internet.

I'm checking out Dol Goldur now. I like it...very immersive indeed. I still really love Old Mornings Dawn though, that hasn't changed. That album just has this incredible sense of complexity in composition - the build ups and subtle melodies used. DG is more of an atmospheric, "feeling" kind of experience. They're a bit different that way.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:16 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
"Concentration camp of retardation"

FFA XVI has been named!

Emp: Summoning's stuff got more and more heavily layered as time went on, and at this stage they sometimes have almost too many layers happening in a given composition, to the point where it starts to muddy up the sound. I think their newer albums would've have had a greater degree of artistic success if they'd paid less attention to how many different instruments they could heap on top of one another and more attention to just writing better melodies. The older stuff has a much better aesthetic economy to it, achieving evocative results with a much smaller number of musical voices.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:20 pm 

That Exodus "review" was a good laugh.

Is there nobody that can dislike this site and not come off as a total doofus? It seems like every single person that has a public gripe over the site is just a whining little dipshit about it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

FFA XVI has been named!

No, no. Remember Starmere; we have to get to Postradamus first.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Nebster173 wrote:
http://peopleoftheblackcircle.blogspot.com/2012/06/exodus-pleasures-of-flesh.html

You haven't noticed the worst posters being eliminated/banned lately? Oh, good!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

FFA XVI has been named!

Emp: Summoning's stuff got more and more heavily layered as time went on, and at this stage they sometimes have almost too many layers happening in a given composition, to the point where it starts to muddy up the sound. I think their newer albums would've have had a greater degree of artistic success if they'd paid less attention to how many different instruments they could heap on top of one another and more attention to just writing better melodies. The older stuff has a much better aesthetic economy to it, achieving evocative results with a much smaller number of musical voices.

I can definitely see what you mean. Since I'm so new to this band I can't really debate you much about it yet, except that what I've heard from their latter material is just as engaging as DG, just in a different way.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:35 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

You haven't noticed the worst posters being eliminated/banned lately? Oh, good!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm 

That ezine/blog is run by the vocalist of this band, who is a cool dude and has a reputation locally for being a crazy death metaller. I love this album, it's a really cool mix of heavier oldschool NYDM with the doubled growls/snarled vocals of Deicide and some exotic-sounding melodies. It's the type of stuff that made me fall in love with death metal.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I can definitely see what you mean. Since I'm so new to this band I can't really debate you much about it yet, except that what I've heard from their latter material is just as engaging as DG, just in a different way.

It's definitely a considerable world to explore. One of the (many) great things about Summoning is how much their catalogue feels like this vast artistic world that you can dive into through a variety of gates, each leading to a separate valley or grand garden in this huge, unified expanse, offering unique experiences that ultimately relate to and enrich the greater whole.

I guess not many bands make me think or speak in those terms, but Summoning is one of them.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:34 pm 

UGH. I feel all of you on the unemployment thing - i was promised a three month contract headhunting, and well...it only lasted a month and a half. I have enough to make it through March, but goddamn, DC is just so ridiculous. I always forget how many of you are out here too.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:13 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
That ezine/blog is run by the vocalist of this band, who is a cool dude and has a reputation locally for being a crazy death metaller. I love this album, it's a really cool mix of heavier oldschool NYDM with the doubled growls/snarled vocals of Deicide and some exotic-sounding melodies. It's the type of stuff that made me fall in love with death metal.

Me like!

Erk... there are 3 USDM bands with that name. Good thing metal bands tend to have recognizable logos.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:21 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

I haven't listened yet, but based off the name I'm gonna like them.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:27 pm 

Damn, can't find a way to listen to the whole album, not even legally!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444 ... 518  Next