Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:49 pm 

Cosigned on Zombi 2 and NYR both being rad. Fulci is law.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 pm 

Zombi 2 is kinda cool, but some of the stock music they used just makes me laugh.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm 

Mulholland Drive - This convinced me I should never watch anything by David Lynch again.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:42 pm 

Stone69 wrote:
[Rec] 2007 and [Rec] 2 2009 - 4.5/5
Excellent horror film. I first thought that this was just a zombie movie that's it til' I saw the sequel. Diabolic Possessions was revealed not a zombie virus or some kind. The plot is very interesting, I like how they connect the story and made the 'twist'!

That was made pretty clear in the first one wasn't it? I distinctly remember finding it funny in Quarantine when they changed it to a virus, since it's literally the only thing they changed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:36 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Mulholland Drive - This convinced me I should never watch anything by David Lynch again.

One of my favorite movies, nearly perfect to me. Just a masterwork.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
All of his movies that I've seen except for Don't Torture a Duckling and New York Ripper are pretty much just dreamlike, "artistic" sort of movies that don't really rely on a usual plot to have an effect. Personally I found them incredibly memorable and haunting. They're more experiences than regular narratives.

Agreed, that's why I like his movies so much. Funny how he influenced a lot of these shitty gorefest movies. The gore in his films is more tasteful, to me it's not just about repulsing you but adding something to the overall feel of the film. Just how he films his gore scenes, the ones in The Beyond are particularly effective and add to the dreamlike/nightmarish feel of the film.

Empyreal wrote:
Don't Torture a Duckling you might like. Still not great acting but a real plot and a pretty good detective tale...New York Ripper is pretty much a sleazy gore fest. Fun though.

Have you seen A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (another giallo a bit like Don't Torture a Duckling) and The Psychic (Seven Notes in Black)?

About Wong Kar Wai, still need to see one of his films.... Chungking Express or Fallen Angel I guess.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I was watching it one night real late. It was cool, but I felt like I was missing the point. The end was just profoundly depressing, even though I did see it coming honestly.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I was watching it one night real late. It was cool, but I felt like I was missing the point. The end was just profoundly depressing, even though I did see it coming honestly.

You weren't missing anything, the film just presents a very bleak vision of human fantasy. Inland Empire does just the opposite so you might try that. You could say Lost Highway-Mulholland Drive-Inland Empire is a thematic trilogy with the final part being the uplifting ending.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
In that they're mostly almost plotless excuses for gore.

That's the whole point. You watch them for the blood and gore.

Ghost Shark-After several of their friends are killed, a group of friends try to convince the authorities that the culprit was a spectral great white shark, but when no one believes them they are forced to go out alone to defeat the bloodthirsty, murderous spirit. This here was quite an enjoyable and entertaining Sci-Fi Channel effort. One of the only complaints to be found here is the same common attribute found in the majority of their films, the lame CGI that's found in bringing the shark to life. While it is a ghost in this case and a lot of it's scenes are then by-design supposed to be off, as well as the storyline dictation of what it can do, but there's just far too much time given to this that it really becomes distracting after a while. That said, there's a lot to really like with this one that seems to be usual for such channels' film's penchant for supernatural-inflicted action scenes that could have no possible basis in reality, for here we have evidence the shark emerges from areas like a slip-n-slide, kitchen sink pipes, a garden hose used in a car wash, puddles and even the spray from a busted fire-hydrant, among other places of a similar caliber that are so far-fetched and ridiculous that there's no possible way it conveys any sense of reality. Trying to tie it into a historical-based reality with the implication of the ancient burial ground where it was spawned is a great move that at least offers a sense of balance for the ludicrous action presented, the method of finally defeating the creature is pretty inspired and there's naturally a lot of bloodied CGI death shots as people are bitten in half, decapitated, snacked on, chomped and dismembered here to provide some nifty gore scenes, all of which pace the film along and make it quite enjoyable overall.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Agreed, that's why I like his movies so much. Funny how he influenced a lot of these shitty gorefest movies. The gore in his films is more tasteful, to me it's not just about repulsing you but adding something to the overall feel of the film. Just how he films his gore scenes, the ones in The Beyond are particularly effective and add to the dreamlike/nightmarish feel of the film.

Empyreal wrote:
Don't Torture a Duckling you might like. Still not great acting but a real plot and a pretty good detective tale...New York Ripper is pretty much a sleazy gore fest. Fun though.

Have you seen A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (another giallo a bit like Don't Torture a Duckling) and The Psychic (Seven Notes in Black)?

Yeah, I love those movies. There's a lot more to Fulci than meets the eye. i've talked about it before in here, but Conquest is a bizarre, trippy sword and sorcery movie done by Fulci that I really enjoy. COntraband is an awesome violent Italo-crime movie and The Black Cat is complete Hammer-style gothic thrills. SO yeah, much, much more to the man than buckets of gore.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm 

Saw Pandorum. Very nice sci fi thriller in the vein of Event Horizon, Alien and even Dead Space. The plot was fairly intelligent and the acting was believable. Nice effects and action packed enough. Really good movie overall.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm 

Gotta see it, Event Horizon might be my favorite sci-fi/horror film of all time.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:55 pm 

Pandorum sucks super duper hard. It's like a really shit videogame turned into a movie.

Also saying you watch Zombi 2 only for the gore is pretty dumb considering there's only like 5 gory scenes in the entire movie and they're all short. The atmosphere in the last 20 minutes is thick, I'll give it that at least.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm 

I tried to watch Pandorum and couldn't hear anything because it was a shitty stream on the internet, but it looked incredibly daft.

edit: and yeah, Fulci's movies aren't ONLY watchable for the gore...they're about the feel and atmosphere of it.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm 

I think it was the director who stated it, but the zombies in zombi 2 all look like potted plants. Just like how the original dawn of the dead's guts looked like clay and the blood like paint.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:05 pm 

I thought the zombies in it were by far the best part of the movie. They looked really good. Much better than in Dawn of the Dead, I find, which had a much larger budget. I laughed at the parts where the super ominous main theme is playing and there's shots of them shambling at like.... 0.00005 miles an hour. Is there any movie with slower zombies?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:34 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Pandorum sucks super duper hard. It's like a really shit videogame turned into a movie.

Yeah, it well and truly sucks, Necro is right on this occasion. It starts off okay but by the halfway point it loses it and stupid plot twists start emerging, and the ending took away whatever lingering interest I had developed. Has many great visuals but fails hard because of a half-thought out script. Event Horizon is much better and I don't think of that as highly as some.

Just once I'd like Ben Foster to be in a legitimate good movie.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 pm 

Pandorum had a good premise and some good moments. I liked the writing on the wall myth-making aspect of it, I know it can be cheesy and is used too often in games but I don't think it's used often enough in movies. I actually didn't have a problem with the ending either. The twist with Dennis Quaid was annoying though and the constant portrait shots near the end were really obnoxious. Also, it did indeed turn into Dead Space: the Movie.

The main chick was General Zod's right-hand woman in Man of Steel, by the way.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Finally watched Prometheus over the weekend. Really enjoyed it, saw a lot of criticism over it leaving the viewer with more questions than answers but I've never found that to be an absolute negative... i'd much rather be left with questions, or with things left open to interpretation, than with every facet having a nice neat little bow tied on it and presented to the viewer... honestly that usually makes me hate a movie. I enjoyed the whole "engineer" bit along with the unanswered questions on why they desired our demise. The only part I found to be blatantly a little less than great was the medical tube thing and the quick and easy extraction and then her happily going on her way afterwards, though the minimal use of CG in that scene as well as the rest of the film for the was refreshing. I thoroughly enjoyed the expansion on the creatures in the Alien realm and the implications of what we saw when applied to the idea of the cargo being delivered to earth (or other planets) to wreak havoc. The alien popping out at the end seemed a little "tacked on" to truly tie it into the already established mythos but it worked in the context of an invasion scenario.

More or less my thoughts. I can suspend my disbelief although with others it seems they can't. I never needed to be told why David acted a certain way or why an engineer did what it did, etc. Whatever wasn't obvious I just assumed and thought about later but I left the cinema satisfied. Disappointed there won't be a sequel though when by all accounts Prometheus was to have one. It'd probably go down in movie history as one of those 'what if' moments.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 am 

It was actually pretty clear why David acted the way he did. Basically he had to operate within his programming restrictions, but had has own agenda at the same time. Basically he was like one of those asshole genies that grant your wishes but in a literal way that gives you a result you didn't expect, except unlike those genies who do it just to be dicks, he was doing so to 1) get back at Holloway, who treated him like shit, 2) escape his enslavement to his decrepit "father."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 am 

About three and a half years ago, I watched Pandorum, and it pissed me off so much that I wrote a huge rant about it. It's sitting around in the annals of the internet, and the discussion caused me to drudge it up:

Quote:
Went to my dad's yesterday and watched Pandorum. The trailers just made it look like Alien so I was never in a rush to see it. It actually wasn't completely awful. Ben Foster and Dennis Quaid mysteriously awake out of their cryogenic sleep to an abandoned spaceship. They have very irritatingly plot-convenient amnesia and have to try and discover what happened to the ship. They discover it was a ship transporting ~60000 people to the closest Earth-like and habitable planet since Earth was overpopulated and underresourced. Oh, and just to keep the fads alive, the ship is overrun by zombie-esque creatures.

Spoiler: show
First off, the Tyler Durden twist with Payton and Gallow was really easy to see, which meant about 50 minutes was wasted building up a twist and most people should have been able to see coming. Also, the writing was incredibly lazy. That amnesia the characters had always happened to wear off just in the right areas just at the right times. That's just laziness if you ask me. If you're going to write a movie that deals heavily with mystery and unanswered questions, you shouldn't just answer them by having some completely unexplainable force just fucking tell you whenever it pleases. The characters should have to work for it, search for clues, piece together seemingly random pieces of information to uncover the big secret. But no, the group of people spend the whole movie trying to get to the reactor of the ship to restore power and have the mystery simply explained to them on the way.

So the big deal is that Dennis Quaid was initially a corporal on one of the flight crew shifts and was present on the bridge when they received news that Earth had been destroyed and that they were the only pieces of humanity left. He gets the space crazies (which they call Pandorum) and murders his officers. He then spends the rest of his time playing God with the rest of the people on board, unfreezing them and using them as he pleases. Apparently some enzyme turned a good chunk of the people into flesh hungry Quan Chis, thus giving the protagonist some scary creature to run from, god forbid the horror come from the fear of being completely lost and alone, not knowing where you are or what you're supposed to be doing, and the fact that all the survivors you find seem to be insane so you don't know who to trust. No, fuck that, we need scary monsters. Somebody conveniently remembers that this was a one hundred twenty something year flight, and it is assumed that Bower woke up because it was his shift on the flight crew, so he estimates he's been asleep about 8 years. But at the end it is revealed that they disembarked from Earth 926 years ago. Since they were still en route when Earth was destroyed, that means Dennis Quaid managed to survive at least 800 or so years on the ship. Okay, so maybe he'd freeze himself for long periods of time, but if that's the case there's no way he'd've stayed in control, as the mutated things clearly had a system of order and easily could have taken over the ship if he wasn't steadily releasing people for them to hunt. Okay, so maybe he did and it was all automated. It's not like this massive horde ate one person per day between all of them, and even if they did they'd only last a few hundred years. Well it was also shown that they eat each other when mortally wounded, WELL THEY STILL WOULDN'T LAST EIGHT HUNDRED FUCKING YEARS WITH THE FOOD SUPPLY THEY HAD. Oh, and the big twist was that they landed on the planet long ago and the ship was just sunk in the ocean all this time, which means the pressure finally busted the glass on the bridge and flooded the place (true to form, at the most convenient time) and initiated an emergency evacuation, launching the 1211 still unopened pods to the surface for a happy ending. Fuck that lazy writing.

It was also very dark and hard to tell what the fuck was happening most of the time, which was irritating. Wow, I didn't hate it when I watched it, I didn't hate it when I started typing, but by the time I was done typing the spoiler section, I definitely hated it.

EDIT:
Spoiler: show
Now that I think about it, Foster's character was assigned to flight crew 5, meaning his 2 year shift was the fifth to happen. He hadn't been awakened prior to the events of the movie, which eliminates ANOTHER hundred something years since he would've been unfrozen after 8 years if everything went smoothly. This means Quaid had to have gone crazy within the first 8 years of the flight. The more I think about this movie the more pissed off I get.

Yeah I still hate this movie.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm 

Going to a small, isolated house for spring break, a group of cheerleaders find their activities halted when a masked madman arrives looking for retribution against the girls and forcing them to fight him off to survive.

This here turned out to be quite an enjoyable and entertaining effort that has a lot going for it. One of the biggest pluses is the fact that, as a slasher comedy with comedic touches, it would've been painfully obvious to try to make the killer a rather weak and almost joke-like individual, but that's thankfully avoided here with the killer being kept to a threatening role and only appearing to dole out a quick death or initiate a chase, and with the striking mask and choice of weaponry used it creates some powerful images at times. The last half is also rather interesting with the killer striking them throughout the darkened house as the gradual rise in dead bodies found in the different rooms is quite well-done and the confrontations start getting more and more intense, revealing some nice twists and making this quite enjoyable. The adult video shoot massacre is great with all the flailing body parts featured in the rampage, and with all the nudity and gore featured makes for an attractive addition to the movie. The main problem with this one, though, is a common feature in many of these hybrids, where the comedy here is just lame and not that funny. Ranging from jokes about religion to overweight individuals and how drunk they are, it's quite lame and tiresome to see these lame styles of jokes repeated over and over in these types of films so their use here is completely aggravating. As well, it tends to run a tad too long with several rather unnecessary subplots that serve just to add bodies to the fray, but overall it's not too bad regardless.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It's not like this massive horde ate one person per day between all of them, and even if they did they'd only last a few hundred years. Well it was also shown that they eat each other when mortally wounded, WELL THEY STILL WOULDN'T LAST EIGHT HUNDRED FUCKING YEARS WITH THE FOOD SUPPLY THEY HAD.

I think it was implied that the monster guys were a relatively recent occurrence. It wasn't clear from your post if you remembered, but it wasn't just "an enzyme" that turned them into monsters, it was a deliberate system aboard the ship that was supposed to adapt the people to whatever planet they eventually landed on. But since they were still on board, it ended up evolving them to survive on the ship itself, which probably took quite a long time. Also, as a result of the adaptations, I'm pretty sure they were able to hibernate naturally for long periods of time to make up for there not being very much of a food supply.

I agree though, Pandorum was a neat concept but was just super, super sloppy in its execution.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I agree though, Pandorum was a neat concept but was just super, super sloppy in its execution.

Pandorum reminds me of Repo Men, a pretty cool sci-fi concept with loads of potential but a lousy half-baked script took away it's legs.
Oh well, at least it wasn't pretentious and self-righteous like Daybreakers or The Adjustment Bureau.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm 

Like I said, I wrote that years ago and I barely remember anything about the movie now, but I do recall thinking the concept was cool, but just utterly destroyed by stupid Quan Chi monsters being shoehorned in for the sole purpose of loud chase scenes when the whole idea would have been so much more effective as a tense, slow building and claustrophobic type fear of the unknown. Maybe if they'd kept the monsters in the dark for most of the movie like with Alien or something could have worked too, but as it stands it's like, "What's that lurking in the darkness? Oh, it's just Galder".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:47 pm 

The Adjustment Bureau is a great film. One of the better films of that year...quite a good sci fi/love story with some real bounce and style to it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:50 pm 

I actually really like the IDEA of the Pandorum monsters - rather than being degenerate inbred feral people, like you first assume, it turns out that THEY are the superior and more fully evolved ones, given their environment. Things like intellect and compassion are actually detrimental to survival in a place where it's easy to fall prey to insanity and compassion can only bring on starvation. Then you have to ask questions like, is it even right to eliminate these guys? Even if they are hunting the others, they're not responsible for what they're like, and they still have as much right to life as rest of the passengers. Condemning them to death is simply genocide. Those are the sorts of moral questions the movie pretty much just ignored, though.

Still, I think the real weak link in the movie was the whole "Earth got blown up and Dennis Quaid went insane and killed everyone and is playing god" thing. It would have been way better if they'd dropped Earth blowing up entirely and just made it a mystery what originally went wrong with the ship.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm 

Saw The World's End for the second time last night. I thought it was good at first, but not great. Now I think it's even better. I think I had the same problem I had with Hot Fuzz at first- I was comparing it too much to the previous movie(s). I actually think this may be the funniest movie in the trilogy (in my own humble opinion, of course).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Adjustment Bureau is a great film. One of the better films of that year...quite a good sci fi/love story with some real bounce and style to it.

I didn't like The Adjustment Bureau much at all, to be honest. It wasn't a bad movie by any stretch, but the premise was about the best thing going for it (and to be perfectly fair, it is a spectacular one). I would like to see more, similar films, though.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 pm 

Dredd (2012) - In the future, shit is so fucked that the country needs badass motherfuckers who act as judge, jury, and executioners. No pussy shit like romance sidestories and "plot", just a 200-story tall megabuilding populated with criminals lead by Lena Headey vs a couple of judges.

Joking aside, I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of 80/90's action movies such as Total Recall and Robocop. It has some of the best action I've seen out of the action genre and it revels itself in beautiful ultraviolence.

Last edited by Adriankat on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 pm 

Here's something I want to know about Dredd before I watch it: does it have any shaky cam nonsense in it? The shaky cam stuff is so fucking obnoxious in modern action movies, and even though Dredd sounds like the perfect kind of action movie, I still want to know if there's any of that in there.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 pm 

There's an element of rumble during the chaos of gunfire but nothing I would call shaky-cam. The action was pretty clear. I guess you could check out the trailer first, the action scenes you see in the trailers are representative of the action scenes in the movie.

Forgot to mention that it's currently on Netflix.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 pm 

Dark City is the same sort of thing concept wise only better. The love story element and blatant god/angel association ruined what could have been interesting or thrilling, and talk about an anti-climax. Plus the villains were so goofy I felt like I was watching an episode of Even Stevens. Don't make them clumsy, that's not entertaining or funny, it just makes them seem totally non-threatening. It's okay, if you're in the mood for a romance that's tinged with a couple of thrilling moments, despite an unusual and cool concept it has the same tired and predictable love story cliches that simply bog it down. My main gripe with it is it was packaged and marketed to appear from trailers and posters as an action packed thrill ride with visual effects that'll blow your mind, 'Inception on steroids' was one particular quote some critic put on the cover. A couple chase scenes in an strange landscape doesn't qualify as Inception, and it's about as action packed as Fried Green Tomatoes.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:56 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
and it's about as action packed as Fried Green Tomatoes.

Come, now. Fried Green Tomatoes at least had the scene with the train. :V

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Dredd (2012) - In the future, shit is so fucked that the country needs badass motherfuckers who act as judge, jury, and executioners. No pussy shit like romance sidestories and "plot", just a 200-story tall megabuilding populated with criminals lead by Lena Headey vs a couple of judges.

Joking aside, I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of 80/90's action movies such as Total Recall and Robocop. It has some of the best action I've seen out of the action genre and it revels itself in beautiful ultraviolence.

Yeah I saw Dredd recently. WAYYYYYY the fuck better than the Stallone one. Very violent, grisly, and was interestingly shot with that SLO-MO effect. Reminded me a lot of The Raid: Redemption but that's already a back-and-forth everyone knows about.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:
and it's about as action packed as Fried Green Tomatoes.

Come, now. Fried Green Tomatoes at least had the scene with the train. :V
That's what I'm referring to, that scene alone qualifies as Fried Green Tomatoes level of action.

It totally freaked me out as a kid and several stomach churning nightmares ensued. Never went moseying on over to train tracks again.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Very violent, grisly, and was interestingly shot with that SLO-MO effect. Reminded me a lot of The Raid: Redemption but that's already a back-and-forth everyone knows about.

The slow motion effect is such an overused thing with action films but the way they implemented it with a 'slow-mo' drug was brilliant.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 am 

So weird that everyone seems to like Dredd so much. Even taken simply as a brainless action flick it's terrible, simply because it doesn't contain any well-executed action scenes. Fucking fundamental failure there.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 am 

For what it's worth, I thought it was fucking abysmal. They teased at something interesting with how Thirlby's psychic abilities could potentially be a liability but nothing ever really came of it. Other than that, it was a dimestore The Raid (which itself wasn't very good but at least it had incredibly tight and meticulously choreographed fight scenes) brimming with boring action, boring dialog and boring set pieces.

About the only positive things to say about it was its pulsing, neon-soaked soundtrack and Headey's American accent.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:55 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
So weird that everyone seems to like Dredd so much. Even taken simply as a brainless action flick it's terrible, simply because it doesn't contain any well-executed action scenes. Fucking fundamental failure there.

I think plenty of the action scenes were good. It's only "weird" that people like it because you seem to think your opinion on what constitutes a good action scene is universal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427 ... 819  Next