Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm 

Yes sir! Defiance was badass. I've always preferred Raziel to Kain though.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm 

Actually, I've always loved those games more due to the plot rather than the gameplay (although the gameplay was also stellar). The LOK series has one of the most well crafted and interesting stories to ever appear in a videogame. They actually progress more like a book, rather than anything else. As for which character I prefer, well, I got into the saga with the first Soul Reaver, so I'll always have a fondness for Raziel, although Kain is also an excellent character.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm 

Pfft, you guys suck, GTFO. Kain forever! And Simon Templeman... :love:

I hope the guys doing Blood Omnicide have a complete game soon. I'd definitely pay for that.

I sometimes wish they had made Blood Omen 2. Kind of funny how they never did. Like Highlander 2 and Alien 4. You'd think they would have made a sequel by now!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ah, yes, the voice acting in the LOK series is nothing short of amazing. And the scripts! Oh, those beautiful scripts.....

And what do you have against Raziel, Morri?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm 

Nothing, only that Kain is infinitely more awesome.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm 

So true. It was one of the first games I played where the voice acting was badass instead of lifeless and wooden.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

Morrigan about whether or not she has something against Raziel wrote:
Nothing, only that Kain is infinitely more awesome.

:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

I do like him very much, though. Really complex character, and I love how he's only willing to reveal his (or at least the whole picture of them) intentions when they have already come to their conclusion.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:36 pm 

The antithesis of Bond villains.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm 

Necroticism174 about Kain wrote:
The antithesis of Bond villains.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's so true it hurts, man.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

SR-Kain is cool, sure, but he's a very different character than the original 1996 Blood Omen haughty-nobleman-turned-vampire... which is still my favourite incarnation of him, as much as I do love the millenium-old demigod version of himself they turned him into in the sequels. He just has so many great lines, even in the item descriptions. Well, I'm biased, as I could listen to Simon Templeman read the phonebook all day, but I love those:
Kain, about the Implode item wrote:
Of all the methods I employ, this is perhaps the cruelest, causing my victim's body to shrink on itself, crushing bones and rupturing organs 'til the pressure inside burst the sac of fleshy skin.... spraying its contents for all to see.

Kain, about Vasserbünde wrote:
Vasserbünde lay, its glory now stained and faded... A faithful child in the looming shadow of Nupraptor's Retreat.

Kain, holding Nupraptor's Head wrote:
Nupraptor's head. Alas, poor Nupraptor, I knew him well... ...Well, not really.

My favourite post-Blood Omen line, though, is probably in Defiance, when the Sarafan tell him, "Surrender now and we promise you a quick death!", and he replies, "I would promise you the same thing... but it would be a lie." :lol: :metal:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
My favourite post-Blood Omen line, though, is probably in Defiance, when the Sarafan tell him, "Surrender now and we promise you a quick death!", and he replies, "I would promise you the same thing... but it would be a lie." :lol: :metal:

Kain is fucking metal :headbang:

But yeah, I agree with you that he's an insanely quotable character. Still, Raziel is boss. I don't know why, but I always thought Raziel was akin to a Shakespearian character.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 pm 

Quite possibly one of the top 3 greatest Sega Genesis soundtracks ever. Sub-Terrania!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:

Too bad the game is impossible. I remember playing it as a kid and couldn't do shit with it. Played it last year and still couldn't do shit.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm 

Haha, it's not easy, but I enjoyed playing it. Shame that it's too short and the ending is lackluster. I really dig the music though. Jesper Kyd!

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:22 pm 

I was initially disappointed that Raziel sacrificed himself, but I realized it was necessary to conclude that story. That's one of the things I really liked about the series, they put a lot of thought into the story. I wonder if they'll ever make another one.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm 

Don't hold your breath Necro, as I'm pretty sure that the saga won't continue, mostly because the team responsible of it disolved.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:38 pm 

Wow, Jesper Kyd? Haha, nice (he does the Assassin's Creed music). Reminds me a ton of Ecco.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 pm 

Anyone remember Legend of Dragoon? I know the game got a lot of shit but I loved its soundtrack and atmosphere. I covered the best song on piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rISkH6FB4
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Wow, Jesper Kyd? Haha, nice (he does the Assassin's Creed music). Reminds me a ton of Ecco.

Crap, completely forgot about Ecco. It's one of those games that I've always read about in magazines, but never gotten. Definitely need to play it someday.

EDIT: Nice cover there Diamhea.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Crap, completely forgot about Ecco. It's one of those games that I've always read about in magazines, but never gotten. Definitely need to play it someday.

The Ecco games are some of the weirdest videogame experiences out there, can't even describe it. You think it's just about a little dolphin swimming around aimlessly? Oh man, not at all. Destiny, time travel, Atlantis, aliens...

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 am 

Cool, sounds like my kind of awesome.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 pm 

The Ecco games are ten times creepier than most of the crappy horror games coming out these days.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm 

Anyone here ever played Sophie's World? I've been looking for games like that for ages.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
kingnuuuur wrote:

The Ecco games are some of the weirdest videogame experiences out there, can't even describe it. You think it's just about a little dolphin swimming around aimlessly? Oh man, not at all. Destiny, time travel, Atlantis, aliens...

I'd go as far as calling the first two games the best Sega ever made. :P I know it's quite a stretch but these games stood out very well. Shame they scrapped the third game and made Ecco Jr. instead. If there's one thing I want Sega to do anytime soon, it's making another Ecco game.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:05 am 

I never got very far in Ecco, but that opening with the vortex used to creep me the hell out as a kid.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 am 

Wait, there was a discussion on The Legend of Dragoon and I missed it?

Aw man, it's been too damn long since I played it. Such an epic soundtrack, such an epic game. An epic game with a lot of questionable voice acting, a stupid stupid stupid final boss, and the most retarded ending of its day, but an epic game nonetheless.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Wait, there was a discussion on The Legend of Dragoon and I missed it?

Aw man, it's been too damn long since I played it. Such an epic soundtrack, such an epic game. An epic game with a lot of questionable voice acting, a stupid stupid stupid final boss, and the most retarded ending of its day, but an epic game nonetheless.

I never beat it, though I did accidentally stumble into the last boss and very nearly beat him. I never went to finish it because A) I'm confident I could beat him if I were prepared since I nearly did on accident, and B) Due to extenuating circumstances, I put the game off for a long time somewhere in the middle, and when I picked it back up again, I'd forgotten a large chunk of the characters and story, so by the time I was at the end it became less about wrapping up the story and more about just finishing the game since I was no longer invested. I do have fond memories of the horrendously slow leveling, constant grinding, and repetitive and clunky battle system. With that said, its merits outweighed it's faults I say. I know the combat system was tedious and repetitive but there's really nothing else like it and I appreciate the innovation, even if it wasn't a resounding success. And yes, that soundtrack was great.

Man, thinking back, there really isn't much I remember about the game. I should go replay it... oh wait my second disc is fucked up and I had to beat the final boss on it roughly 14 times before the cinematic afterwards decided NOT to freeze. I'm not going through that shit again.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 pm 

I remember the forest theme in LoD was really infectious. I used to hum it walking to the bus stop in middle school everyday.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I was initially disappointed that Raziel sacrificed himself, but I realized it was necessary to conclude that story. That's one of the things I really liked about the series, they put a lot of thought into the story. I wonder if they'll ever make another one.

Dug this up on Wikipedia:

Quote:
"In June 2010, Siliconera creator Spencer Yip conducted an interview with three senior members of the Crystal Dynamics team. When asked about the Legacy of Kain franchise, the head of studio Darrell Gallagher replied: "We see the fan feedback on Legacy of Kain. There’s nothing we can talk about right now, but we can tell fans we definitely hear it."[20] In May 2011, a rumor appeared about the possibility of a new game being in development. An article on Game Revolution quoted a user who is "part of a website where you get paid to take online surveys and today I took one that asked me what I thought about different possible names for a Legacy of Kain game".[21] However, no official announcement was made by Crystal Dynamics, leading fans to speculate about whether a new game was being developed by a different studio."

I thought that they pretty much shelved the LoK series, but i guess you never know. I guess February is Legacy of Kain month, nobody wanted to discuss it a month ago when i brought it up. Better late than never.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 pm 

Amy Hennig was the brain behind Soul Reaver/Defiance anyway, and she's long gone from Crystal Dynamics, so I'm not sure I even want a new LoK game without her involvement (nor, of course, Silicon Knight's). The last time an LoK game was made with neither SK and Amy, we got Blood Omen 2 sorry, don't know what came over me, I imagined some horrible sequel, carry on --

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 pm 

Hahaha yeah, I'm glad they never made that. I'm also glad George Lucas never made a Star Wars movie after return of the Jedi :p all is right in the world.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 am 

http://baldursgate.com/

Something is happening on the official BG website.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 am 

Adriankat wrote:
http://baldursgate.com/

Something is happening on the official BG website.

Thats a wierd coincidence, i was just yesterday reading some old articles about rumored BG3 and wondered if its gonna be ever gonna be announced. Yeah, this is really interesting but i cant stop having nightmarish visions already. One of the best rpg title getting raped brutally by nowadays standards. Nah, i'm being too negative right now, hopefully its prequel made with Infinity Engine.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:46 pm 

I'm hoping they're just remaking 1 and 2 on a new engine with all the gameplay mechanics and dialogue kept in tact. Think about it, how could they possibly fuck that up?

After seeing what Bioware did to their IPs for the past few years, there's a good chance that they'll do something to fuck it up.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41 pm 

Honestly, I don't see how Bioware could possibly *not* fuck this up. Have you seen Dragon Age? That is what their fantasy RPGs look like these days. If they remake the old games, they'll surely water down the mechanics to make it more mainstream friendly. If they make a new game, they'll make it like Dragon Age. It'll be shit either way.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:29 pm 

Every time I'm reminded of Dragon Age I cringe. Possibly the worst game I've spent money on in the past few years. Fucking dreadful.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm 

I want Planescape Torment remade with voice acting and Dragon ageish graphics, instead of the text having to describe everything you'd be able to see it

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm 

That sounds terrible. There's no fucking way that'd ever work out well.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:18 pm 

yeah, no.

The art style of PS:T could never be replicated in 3D, and the art style was a big part of that game.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:43 pm 

I don't know about that, P:T did have some 3D cutscenes that didn't seem too out of place, after all. The problem is that what's popular in 3D graphics these days wouldn't be at all suitable; it'd need a drab, gritty style like Doom or Hexen or something that just isn't done at all these days. Even supposedly 'gritty' games like the new Fallouts don't feel as gritty as those old shooters. Too shiny and bright.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, 400 ... 940  Next