Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NekroDjavol
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:25 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Actually I kinda agree, though not as strongly. I thought Sigourney Weaver was actually good, but nearly everyone else (except the android dude) were cartoons.

I found Weaver's preformance so dull and boring that I could barely concentrate on the film itself- every time she appeared on the screen with her NULL expression and spoke like a fifth grader that's reading an apology letter after putting glue on the teacher's chair, I was just mesmerized by her lack of acting skills (or acting, period). If you look at her eyes, she never really expresses any kind of emotion- when she's 'happy' she smiles (lips only) and when she's mad she shouts- her expression stays the same.
The only positive thing about the character is that she's a competent flight officer with considerable technical skills and probably a degree or two in engineering. Also she usually makes the right decisions, as opposed to 100% of the other characters in the series (except maybe Bishop who's cool).

Another thing that I found annoying is the 'marines'- they're mercenaries at best, and quite amateurish ones as well. The mission was carried out so half-assly that it would make any person with military experience cringe. No briefings were carried out, no protocols were followed, no tactics were used until all of the chain of command was out and Ripley took charge.

Also some serious physical discrepancies annoyed me: for example, during the sentry guns scene- if you consider the amount of aliens chopped up in the two hallways, there should be a fucking crater there!
And when they cut a hole in the pipe so that Bishop can crawl to the control tower, the piece they cut out falls into the pipe - but after he goes inside, they place the piece back onto the hole as if it were a lid.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 am 

Some recents: Stick (1985) great film adaptation of a classic book. 4/5. Hostel 2 First one of these kind of films ive seen. pretty cool concept, and i loved the badass businessman who won the bidding 3/5

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 am 

Now Aliens sucks?

I don't like people anymore.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:16 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
Now Aliens sucks?

We all grew up! :(

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

Everyone talking shit about Aliens wrote:
Aliens sucks

:getout:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm 

I always found the sense of unrelenting terror in Aliens more engrossing than the come as you go horror of the first film. And I know most would agree that the most frightening scene in the first film (obviously the chest-burster) was scarier than whatever the agreed-upon corresponding scene in the sequel was, but I was more frightened of the first nest scene than any other in either film (or any film, for that matter). I continue to find it more tense as well. Of course, the first one was much more original.

Full disclosure: "THAT'S IT MAN, GAME OVER" is my alarm tone on my cellphone and has been what I wake up to every morning for years.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:58 pm 

All you people talking shit about Aliens are crazy. Yes, it's not like the first film, but it's not supposed to be. They weren't going for the sense of isolation and claustrophobia, it's an enjoyable, endlessly quotable action film with memorable moments.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
All you people talking shit about Aliens are crazy. Yes, it's not like the first film, but it's not supposed to be. They weren't going for the sense of isolation and claustrophobia, it's an enjoyable, endlessly quotable action film with memorable moments.

That's not enough for folk around here. It needs to exude pretentious key tones and not actually be about the Aliens. There should be overly complex dialogue, scenes should extend for way too long and every encounter and occurrence should crawl at a snail's pace like (probably a favourite here) 'Lord of the Rings', but while also somehow retaining suspense and action. The movie can't have any additional bad guys or extra layers, there can be no accidental goofs because this is apparently fair ground to dismiss a film and everything that involves the marines has to be 100% accurate to actual marines serving today, even though this is set in the year 2179.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm 

^
Uh, ok, you're talking out of your ass.

I love Aliens but the first one probably is my favourite of the series. I even loved Prometheus, despite the admittedly stupid characterization.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm 

Yeah, he kind of is. Thanks for backing me up...I guess :p
Alien is my favourite too, I just think the criticism of Aliens from the last page is unfair.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 pm 

RIP Michael Duncan. You where a kick ass actor.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

It's not as good as what it is trying to be, as the first one was with what that film was trying to be.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 am 

John Coffey :ugh:
Oh well :roll: RIP

Last edited by Poisonfume on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 am 

Edit: it appears one cannot delete an accidental double post?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 am 

Micheal Clarke Duncan's death will only serve to make the Green Mile more crushing. As if it wasn't heart wrenching enough already. Only movie to make me cry, largely due to his performance. The world has lost another great talent. 2012 has been a bad year for deaths.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm 

So I just watched Anthropophagus again for the first time in ages. Not much to say about it except that it's pretty damn awesome if you like gory, low-budget horror movies. Apparently the special effects in one scene was so convincing that the film makers were accused of making a snuff film. It's amazing that I enjoy gory movies considering how squeamish I am. Just feeling my own heart beat makes me faint. >.<

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Just saw Lawless. Man if that movie didn't have Nick Cave written all over it. It's slow, it's brooding, Tom Hardy is infinitely badass, and when there's violence, it's brutal. Full of really great performances from every actor (even Shia Leboeuf was okay, but I hate him.)

Should be another classic of the drama genre just like Hillcoat's The Proposition and The Road. Soundtrack will be great too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:12 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Man nobody was saying it should've been like Alien, or at least I wasn't. I said it was trying to be a cheesy 80s action movie, but ended up not being very good at that. Predator, Robocop, Mad Max 1 & 2, Terminator 2, etc. were all way better. Actually the Terminator series provides a perfect example of James Cameron doing it right; the first one was much more serious, slow-paced, darker in tone, brooding, etc., while the second was over-the-top, with explosions galore, cheesy one-liners, etc., yet still managed to preserve a lot of the ominous tone of the original. Hell, the T-1000 is arguably more intimidating than the original T-800 was from the first movie. Point is, tons of movies from the 80s did what Aliens did but a lot better. It just didn't stand the test of time for me at all.

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Quote:
2012 has been a bad year for deaths.

Hahaha! Which year was your favorite?

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Man nobody was saying it should've been like Alien, or at least I wasn't. I said it was trying to be a cheesy 80s action movie, but ended up not being very good at that. Predator, Robocop, Mad Max 1 & 2, Terminator 2, etc. were all way better. Actually the Terminator series provides a perfect example of James Cameron doing it right; the first one was much more serious, slow-paced, darker in tone, brooding, etc., while the second was over-the-top, with explosions galore, cheesy one-liners, etc., yet still managed to preserve a lot of the ominous tone of the original. Hell, the T-1000 is arguably more intimidating than the original T-800 was from the first movie. Point is, tons of movies from the 80s did what Aliens did but a lot better. It just didn't stand the test of time for me at all.

It's all about opinions. For me: Aliens > T2. I thought Pax doing the comedy relief was pure genius, the action was relentless and very well done. Weaver was amazing -- she improved on her performance considerably from the original. Aliens was where she became the female action hero. In Alien, it wasn't fully fleshed out.

I still enjoyed T2, but Aliens sticks out more for me.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 am 

Past night I saw with my wife Where the Wild Things Are. I get the psychologic 'analysis' of the child and how the monsters are a part of himself, but it did nothing for me.

Also saw Rec 3. I wasn't bored watching it but I can't recommend it by any means. It lacks total sense and maybe if you have nothing, NOTHING else to do, you could give it a try just for killing time.

Saw again Batman's TDKR. Now I can safely say it fucking sucks. Batman retired at 30's? a 'no one' as Robin (being able to introduce any of the 3 robins?) the relationship with Catwoman? (Batman didn't give a single fuck about her in the whole movie and then he retires to live a quiet life with her?), the bomb? A terrible excuse to introduce Ras Al Ghul and her daughter for the last time, where Gotham was already a chaos and Bane did the job pretty well. The fight where Bane wins it's the movie, that's all.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 pm 

Failsafeman, fair enough. But I think it did succeed in it's goals, though Terminator 2 WAS superior. Speaking of Robocop, I watched it for the first time in years yesterday, didn't remember it being that gory. That movie goes by so fast, you barely know what hit you.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

soul_schizm wrote:
It's all about opinions.

Really now? I had no idea.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm 

Yeah I rewatched Robocop recently too, and I was equally surprised with how gory it was. That's definitely a cheesy action movie done right, so many hilarious bits. I'd buy that for a dollar!! Not to mention it featured the TV Dad Team as villains: the dad from That 70s Show plus the dad from Twin Peaks.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 pm 

haha yeah, one of my favourite parts is that giant machine being unable to go down stairs and falling on it's back.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:47 pm 

RoboCop is awesome. Pure slam bang 80's B-action greatness. They don't make them like that anymore.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:06 pm 

No, they really don't. They tried with the Expendables (minus the sci-fi angle) but it's just not the same. The aesthetics and sensibilities are just very different. Things were much uglier, effects weren't so slick, low rent kung fu didn't get crammed in everywhere, violence seemed much more visceral, and they weren't afraid of some good old corniness. It's not just nostalgia talking either, I've watched cheesy action movies I never saw in the 80s and loved them, while I find shit like The Transporter series practically unwatchable. They try way too hard to be serious these days, while in the 80s there was more self-aware silliness that simultaneously didn't stray too far into pretentious irony. I mean, Robocop itself was a parody of 80s action movie excesses, while at the same time being a genuinely good example of an excessive 80s action movie!

Now, I think something like the newest Rambo movie was a fine modern action movie, so it's not all doom and gloom these days, but it's definitely something very different from the older ones. I have yet to see a retro action movie actually do a good job of capturing the 80s aesthetic.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Is The Devils Double a good film?

Yes, definitely worth watching.

NekroDjavol wrote:
I just watched Aliens (1986) many years after I've first seen it. I used to think it was a good movie. It's considered a classic. But it sucked so much balls! Does anybody follow me on this?
I'd actually give it a 30% score- for the idea and the visuals- but everything else (acting, plot (more precisely the lack of its originality), conviction, editing and the list goes on) just fails miserably.
I'm really baffled as to why Sigourney Weaver kept getting jobs, even after Alien. If anybody, she should be playing the androids.

failsafeman wrote:
Actually I kinda agree, though not as strongly. I thought Sigourney Weaver was actually good, but nearly everyone else (except the android dude) were cartoons. I know it was meant to be a silly 80s action movie, not a spiritual successor to the 1979 movie, but it wasn't even a very good example of that. The intimidation of the aliens is nearly all hype; you're expecting something scary, but then you hardly see them and the vast majority get chewed up by the fucking turrets. Then there's the stupid bit with the evil corporate guy being evil - basically I thought everything except Ripley and the Queen Alien was stupid. Predator is a much better 80s sci-fi action flick, and Alien is a much better alien movie.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Yeah, Aliens sucks. Awesome special effects and general atmosphere (and Bishop!), and Sigourney Weaver's good (can't help but love Ripley's character overall), but yeah...pretty much everything else blows. Poorly acted, shittily written, caricaturish, emotionally hollow, shitty characters, lame action. Fuck you, James Cameron. Or should I say JimCam.

Empyreal wrote:
Aliens doesn't suck, but it isn't really very good either, a pretty average action movie to be honest. There were too many characters that all sort of blended together and the whole thing was just sorta by the numbers. A big step down from the brilliance of the first one...

What the... what... I don't even --
What in the seven fucking hells is wrong with you people? :nono:

failsafeman wrote:
Stuff about 80's action movies

Oh I'd agree with this, but then just a few posts earlier you bashed the very finest action movie of that period (hell, I dare say, possibly the greatest action movie of all time), so go figure. I see this as someone going on about how 80's thrash was better than this newfangled retro-thrash, and then saying "Bonded by Blood is really quite mediocre and not very good, y'know?".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:27 pm 

Eh, I'd put Terminator 2 and Die Hard way above Aliens personally. :p

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:00 pm 

And Predator. Predator's basically a combination of Alien and Aliens, come to think of it. Suspenseful and eerie, yet also hokey and hilarious. Love that movie so much.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Saw again Batman's TDKR. Now I can safely say it fucking sucks.
Spoiler: show
Batman retired at 30's? a 'no one' as Robin (being able to introduce any of the 3 robins?) the relationship with Catwoman? (Batman didn't give a single fuck about her in the whole movie and then he retires to live a quiet life with her?), the bomb? A terrible excuse to introduce Ras Al Ghul and her daughter for the last time, where Gotham was already a chaos and Bane did the job pretty well. The fight where Bane wins it's the movie, that's all.

Huh? I'm fairly sure he did care about her. He's in his 40's in TDKR. There's a scene in the film where Bruce Wayne visits a doctor and the doctor tells him his body is basically fucked, so with that add another 20 years to his age. Plus I'd imagine
Spoiler: show
getting his vertebrae dislocated, even though he recovered, would continue to be painful for the rest of his life
I can't really understand the rest of what you said.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Oh I'd agree with this, but then just a few posts earlier you bashed the very finest action movie of that period (hell, I dare say, possibly the greatest action movie of all time), so go figure. I see this as someone going on about how 80's thrash was better than this newfangled retro-thrash, and then saying "Bonded by Blood is really quite mediocre and not very good, y'know?".

The greatest action movie of all time? :lol: You're funny.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:40 pm 

I could see where Morrigan comes from if we were praising the Transformers movie, or Terminator Salvation or something, but really it just comes down to which big 80s action flick you like better at this point.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I saw Death at a Funeral yesterday. What a hysterical movie. Great performances from every actor. Just when you think a joke is about to get old, they really take it to another level.

I loved the original British version. Was like a big Fawlty Towers episode. One of the best comedies in recent years.

The American remake was a word for word copy.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
really it just comes down to which big 80s action flick you like better at this point.

In which case I'll choose The Running Man. That is the most flawless mixture of silliness and baddassery I've ever witnessed.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:59 pm 

^
Yes!!!

"One of us is in deep trouble."

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm 

The Gamer with Gerard Butler and Percy Jackson is a fucking stupid rip off of The Running Man.
Luda!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 pm 

This conversation inspired me to go back and rewatch Robocop for the first time in ages, and yes, it's a goddamn awesome movie. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen Aliens, so I shan't compare the two, but I really should get on it considering how much I love the brand of action movies that the 80s churned out with alarming regularity.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43 pm 

Razakel wrote:
And Predator. Predator's basically a combination of Alien and Aliens, come to think of it. Suspenseful and eerie, yet also hokey and hilarious. Love that movie so much.

So I was going down on my girlfriend right, and I told her "your pussys as big as a house house" :lol:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:41 pm 

Speaking of ridiculous over the top 80s action flicks, has anyone else seen Stallone - Lock Up (1989)? Stallone really is one of the worst actors, huh? Anyways, that movie kinda has it all. So ridiculous. The highlight is the always awesome Donald Sutherland as literally the most evil prison warden of all time, it's insane. John Amos (Coming to America) is in that bitch too. This is a drama/prison film action extravaganza with all the cliches jammed in.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 819  Next