Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:01 pm 

Yeah, that was pretty terrible - song and video both. Decapitated's only good years were with Sauron.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm 

Sounded like Emmure. I only listened to 5 seconds before turning it off though. The white singer's dreadlocks didn't help either.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:17 pm 

The new Decapitated album had only a couple of redeeming moments. I like "The Knife" though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm 

Cool Genesis track.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm 

Metantoine: master of one liners.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
Death, Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence, Gorguts, Obscura...

How the fuck does Cynic fit in with the rest of them?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm 

I've always seen Death, Atheist, Cynic, and Pestilence as the proggy, jazz-fusion influenced side of technical death metal, and Obscura are at least influenced by the prior three enough to cover them. Admittedly, Gorguts doesn't fit as well musically, but it got stuck there in my mind. I don't know why. My tastes in tech death stem from that side, rather than the more brutal death metal/shred angles that crop up. *shrugs*

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:18 pm 

I have Traced In Air and I just don't hear any tech death in that just proggy bull shit wankery. Maybe the first album is better but I don't know. And don't quote me here but I always thought Obscura was more influenced by well Gorguts than anything else hence the name.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 pm 

Focus has more death metal in it, yes. I'm not as familiar with Gorguts, but I definetly hear Atheist and especially latter Death in Obscura's work.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I have Traced In Air and I just don't hear any tech death in that just proggy bull shit wankery. Maybe the first album is better but I don't know. And don't quote me here but I always thought Obscura was more influenced by well Gorguts than anything else hence the name.

Bull shit wankery? I consider Traced In Air to be anything but that. Definitely a very song oriented album as opposed to technicality for the sake of technicality. The members used their technical proficiency in service of amazing songwriting, as it should be used.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 pm 

There's practically zero technicality for technicality's sake on either Cynic album. I don't know how someone would get the idea that they do.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBlacksoulSeraphim/[/url]Gothic Doom/Black Metal
[url=https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAutumnsAshes]Autumn's Ashes[/url] Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:20 pm 

Because it's the trendy thing to say that Death Metal is "so technical bruh."

Fuck all the wankers who can't listen to real riffs :nono:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:57 pm 

Real riffs:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm 

Get familiar with Gorguts! You most likely won't be disappointed, I would start with either Considered Dead or From Wisdom to Hate as I feel those are both a good representation of their earlier works and their later. Do Obscura last though it's probably the hardest album to digest.

Azmodes wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
There's practically zero technicality for technicality's sake on either Cynic album. I don't know how someone would get the idea that they do.

Psh, Cynic suck so hard thed put yo mamma to shame.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:

Cynic is a terrible, terrible band. The debut Focus is a little better but still unappealing self indulgence. And, yeah Obscura feels to me like a Gorguts influenced band. I'd say Cosmogenesis is a very good album but Omnivium lost it, it's very boring.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm 

I think I see wayyyyy more detractors of Cynic than I do fanboys these days. I'm not a very big fan of Focus but Traced in Air is beautiful, and anyone going into that expecting...really, anything at all is going to be disappointed, because I don't think I've come across a single band capable of replicating that sound, metal or otherwise, whether you like the sound itself or not is personal opinion of course. To me, they're a standing testament that there's still a lot of places we can push metal that haven't been discovered yet, and just knowing that's gotta be nice.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 pm 

Was studying to Wormlust's album and that went very well and then Wormrot came on next from itunes and totally screwed up that nice little relaxed state I had going on. :lol:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:51 pm 

People think Obscura sound Gorguts influenced? Can anyone explain one single they have in common?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:54 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
People think Obscura sound Gorguts influenced? Can anyone explain one single they have in common?

HURRR THE NAME MAKES THEM SIMILAR

JUST LIKE HOW VEIL OF MAYA SOUND EXACTLY LIKE CYNIC

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 pm 

I think we need BastardHead to review the band Obscura. His review of the album hits the nail on the head so precisely that you'd think it was affixed with a precision screwdriver.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:

While Obscura falls mostly within the "normal" tech death paradigm, I do hear EoS Gorguts during their proggier, more adventurous sections. I'm not familiar with music theory so I can't get much more technical than that, just stating my opinion.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:34 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I think we need BastardHead to review the band Obscura. His review of the album hits the nail on the head so precisely that you'd think it was affixed with a precision screwdriver.

I'm sorry, but that review was terrible. So goddamn long and it only makes about 2 points: they sound like they play their instruments badly and he thinks it's just noise.

On a different note:

Against Such Things wrote:
I've always seen Death, Atheist, Cynic, and Pestilence as the proggy, jazz-fusion influenced side of technical death metal,

People love to throw around the word jazz. Where the hell is there any jazz in any of Death's music? Or the tech death for that matter? And the jazz element in Atheist's music is grossly overstated. It's like when people throw around comparisons to metal and classical yet can never actually explain how they're related or how the latter is somehow the predecessor to the former.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 am 

Well, the "jazz" terminology is just convenient for those bands. Because jazz sucks, it's easier just to call those bands "jazz-influenced" than to explain why each of them sucks. On the other side of the fence, if you're a wanker who likes jazz, calling them "jazz-influenced" makes them cool to listen to because they've like, evolved beyond regular boring metal shit like riffs and nihilism.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 am 

Death are an odd band to compare to others, because few bands are as singularly focused on the frontman as a vocalist/guitarist as Death are. No syncopation from the drums nor contrast from the bass, they all follow the guitar. Death both pushed to progress in some ways, yet refused to be progressive on other ways, primarily anything that wasn't singularly following Chuck. TSOP followed this pattern to the extreme, where the guitar riffs became explorative, yet restrained the rest of the music as the guitar riffs were basically the only aspect of the music.

Comparisons to other styles must always be taken in context of metal - it's an extreme and often ideologically focused style of music. The jazz element in Atheist's music, compared to Autopsy or Morbid Angel or Cannibal Corpse circa 1989-91 is incredibly prominent, but still heavily weighted in favor of death metal.

The contrast to that is that the bands who have more recently have gained recognition with a more "equal" balance of jazz and death metal are exhibitionist musical masturbation, taking the exhibitionism from death metal and melding it with the regimented instrumental masturbation of jazz. Different strokes for different folks, but the jazzier "metal" artists have been stroking a lot more lately. They're ideologically incompatible when viewed from the more extreme perspectives on either side.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:24 am 

Today's stupid theory: many black metal band names were actually created by finding a suitable town or village name or other suitable Russian word, and reading the Cyrillic as if it was in western alphabet. The proof is left as a trivial exercise to the reader.

And I hereby reserve the band name "Pectopah" for my hypothetical future crossover band.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 am 

I just had a dream that I was watching TV and every channel was MTV showing Tokio Hotel. So glad I woke up.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 am 

Now, that is a name I haven't seen mentioned in ages. And I am thankful for that.
How come they haunt your dreams?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 am 

The first time I saw the video for their song Through the Monsoon I thought the lead singer was a girl, and I thought she would be kinda hot without the horrible music and the horrible goku hair.... :(

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
The first time I saw the video for their song Through the Monsoon I thought the lead singer was a girl, and I thought she would be kinda hot without the horrible music and the horrible goku hair.... :(

Spoiler: show

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:57 am 

So while we're still kind of on the tech death thing I figure that I should tell you all to check out this band. Great Canadian tech death from a one(?) man project that not too many people I've talked to have heard of.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, the "jazz" terminology is just convenient for those bands. Because jazz sucks, [...]

MOTHERFU-

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:29 am 

I need to listen to more Incantation. I forgot how good it is. I tried listening to Gorguts like someone in the thread suggested and turned it off after about ten seconds. I wasn't aware someone could masturbate with a guitar like that.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am 

Incantation is one of my favorite bands. I noticed an apparent lyrical contradiction in Cannibal Corpse's "Shredded Humans".

"The father of three was impaled..." -- three children....

"Fourth child on the way, won't..."

... or maybe I misread the lyrics or am looking too deeply into it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, the "jazz" terminology is just convenient for those bands. Because jazz sucks, it's easier just to call those bands "jazz-influenced" than to explain why each of them sucks. On the other side of the fence, if you're a wanker who likes jazz, calling them "jazz-influenced" makes them cool to listen to because they've like, evolved beyond regular boring metal shit like riffs and nihilism.

:lol:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Jazz and metal are both terrific; y'all just fuck off, ok...

That said the jazziest of those bands is probably Atheist. They play some traditionally jazz chords, there's basswork that at tiems wouldnt' be out of place on a jazz album, and several songs on Unquestionable Presence have parts that could have come from a contemporary fusion record. They also have pretty traditional thrash (maybe even death metal) riffs, so it's a rather nice juxtaposition. I recently got Elements again ... I remember not enjoying it much way back so we'll see if my opinion will change.

But what really made me hard is that Samael song posted just up there. WHat a towering, evil groove. Blood Ritual is just so damn good.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 pm 

Obituary and Absu are playing in Rochester. I saw Absu 4 years ago but I have never seen Obituary. I AM BEYOND STOKED!!!

Elements is my second favorite Atheist album. Its awesome. Obviously it cannot compare to Piece of Time which is one of my favorite albums. UP is the only album I don't care for.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Obituary and Absu are playing in Rochester. I saw Absu 4 years ago but I have never seen Obituary. I AM BEYOND STOKED!!!

Obituary was cool when we opened for them a little while back but they only had one guitar player and he didn't play any solos which really limited what songs were in their set list which was kind of a bummer.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 pm 

Atheist are a very unique band. If they are classed as a tech death band, then they are definitely one that I can appreciate and always will be able to appreciate. They were one of the first death metal bands I listened to and thoroughly enjoyed along with the likes of Suffocation and Morbid Angel.

I only really ever liked Effigy of the Forgotten from Suffocation though.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm 

According to this new book from a dumb reality star the key to a healthy marriage is for the woman to just do what the man wants, even if it includes rape.
http://jezebel.com/real-housewife-melis ... 1371722729

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 518  Next