Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 pm 

Yeah, I never really bought the IE hype....even after reading the reviews of BiO way back in the day on Metal Observer and immediately buying it, I could never ever get into it.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm 

Napero wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
They obviously didn't hit you hard enough at school :)

You, on the other hand, were obviously hit hard enough at some point.

I wouldn't constantly question religion if it recognised Man's inherent nature is to constantly seek and find out about his surroundings, and reflected this. But it always seems at odds with the world we know from first hand experience.
If only Religion could accommodate each new scientific discovery without looking more and more entrenched as time goes by.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 pm 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Huh, Ram It Down... actually isn't all that bad. It's actually got a few really killer tracks and overall makes a good bridge between Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller

It's a pretty neat bridge between Defenders and Turbo too.

*cue shit-eating grin*

You know, the only thing from Turbo I've ever actually heard I think is Turbo Lover... been kinda afraid to listen to anything else off of it.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 pm 

While I perfectly understand the dislike for it, I personally think it's a pretty good album, you know, if you're into what basically amounts to slightly heavier pop-rock. If you want to listen to metal, it's not for you, sure, but if you're just looking for simple, catchy, fun stuff, you're in for a treat.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:51 pm 

Crick wrote:
The Super Meat Boy soundtrack is... Fucking awesome?

Yeah it is.

This one was my favourite I think.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 am 

I just noticed that Empyreal has over 13 thousand posts. That's fucking insane, I had to double check to make sure I read it right. The man is a machine.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:49 am 

I'd be about the same if at least over 3000 of my posts weren't deleted.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am 

yeah, I'd be at roughly 6k :(

waaaaahhhhhhh

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I just noticed that Empyreal has over 13 thousand posts. That's fucking insane, I had to double check to make sure I read it right. The man is a machine.

I've seen 100k+ at another forum, now that is insane...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 am 

Warbringer, Iced Earth, and Symphony X slayed. No further comment.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:13 am 

Indeed, what I find cool is that it's Emp. His posts are never random spam and bullshit, he keeps a generally high quality amongst his infinite posts. Respect.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 am 

I had no idea War Master have a full length out now. This is good news indeed!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 am 

You're at the magic number Necroticism174. It'll never to be attained again. I'll just accept your invisible, long distance nod as a sign that you agree.

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
While I perfectly understand the dislike for it, I personally think it's a pretty good album, you know, if you're into what basically amounts to slightly heavier pop-rock. If you want to listen to metal, it's not for you, sure, but if you're just looking for simple, catchy, fun stuff, you're in for a treat.

You know what, I basically agree with this. Most of the time, the people who hate this album don't like 80's pop music or they can't separate the album in it's own right. Turbo along with No Rest For The Wicked by Ozzy deserve alot less hate than they get.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:11 am 

Shitty news, my less than a week old nephew has pneumonia and they're not sure what to tell us yet, hes wasn't even breathing when they got him to the hospital but they've since managed to get him somewhat steady with some sort breathing machine.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Shitty news, my less than a week old nephew has pneumonia and they're not sure what to tell us yet, hes wasn't even breathing when they got him to the hospital but they've since managed to get him somewhat steady with some sort breathing machine.

I hope for you and your family he gets better. A fellow metal-head is sending positive vibes.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am 

What with their first album being a total classic and the second one being very solid, I should probably get 'round to getting the rest of Necrophobic's discography. Darkside is actually surprisingly strong given that they lost their main guitarist prior to the recording (although he guests on one song, and I guess he still contributed to the songwriting).

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:

Sending my regards for you and your family, Pneumonia sucks cock, but it heals away with care, don't worry.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
What with their first album being a total classic and the second one being very solid, I should probably get 'round to getting the rest of Necrophobic's discography. Darkside is actually surprisingly strong given that they lost their main guitarist prior to the recording (although he guests on one song, and I guess he still contributed to the songwriting).

I've listened to the latest album once, and while it wasn't exactly mindblowing, it was definitely passable. Given the possibility of it being a grower, I'd say it's probably worth acquiring.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I've listened to the latest album once, and while it wasn't exactly mindblowing, it was definitely passable. Given the possibility of it being a grower, I'd say it's probably worth acquiring.

"Revelation 666" is a must-hear when it comes to the latest Necrophobic full-length. The band never really changed their brand of spiteful blackened death, but that one song is tits.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 am 

Well, I saw Eluveitie in Cleveland Saturday night and they were fucking amazing. I tried voluntarily moshing for a minute until my boot fell off and I had to navigate through the crowd looking for it, lol. Seriously, though, they sounded every bit as epic live as they do on studio recordings. Just hearing the vocalist go through his routine sound check and scream into the microphone made the audience cheer for them.

Fucking win.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am 

Byrain wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I've seen 100k+ at another forum, now that is insane...

Ugh, yes. There was one forum I frequented at for about a month (it was part of a subscription deal) and this one guy never stopped posting. 90% of it was just one line remarks trolling that was guaranteed to set off the other posters. The forum was basically unmoderated so these awful tit for tats could go on for 8 pages or more ruining all discussion. (He was eventually banned, but came right back and still is there for all I know.) Whenever someone complains about how supposedly harsh the moderators are here, I just think back to that awful place.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I think all of their stuff is good. Can't go wrong with Necrophobic.

Obligatory Last FM Link

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 pm 

Thanks to the punk ass kid who shot up a school in Ohio..

Now we get to deal with all the anti-gun bitching that comes afterwards..

My Ebay Store

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 pm 

^ :lol: I like how the first thing you said has nothing to do with the shooting itself or the well-being of the students in the attack...but some political nonsense.

Obligatory Last FM Link

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

This is the first I've heard about it. It seems like these shootings always happen in late February/early March.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:29 pm 

Yeah, fuck those guys who think you shouldn't take a gun to school. Fuckin' pinko-commie-queermosexuals.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:31 pm 

It's always tragic and disgusting when things like that shooting happen. Kids at school shouldn't have to be subjected to that. But some people are just plain fucked in the head and can't be helped.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
^ :lol: I like how the first thing you said has nothing to do with the shooting itself or the well-being of the students in the attack...but some political nonsense.

It's totally unfortunate, and unneccesary, I hope no one got killed, I haven't hear yet if there were fatalities. But the fact is, all it takes is one punk ass kid who got broken up with or who got picked on to get mad and find his dad's gun. There's obviously going to be a political backlash, there always is.

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

It seems like these shootings always happen in late February/early March.

Yeah, pretty odd.

My Ebay Store

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Yeah, fuck those guys who think you shouldn't take a gun to school. Fuckin' pinko-commie-queermosexuals.

I hope you aren't insinuating that I think it's okay to carry guns to school.

My Ebay Store

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's always tragic and disgusting when things like that shooting happen. Kids at school shouldn't have to be subjected to that. But some people are just plain fucked in the head and can't be helped.

I wouldn't say that...some more than others, sure, but can't be helped? A lot of adolescents are often deprived of resources that could aid or possibly prevent such behavior. I mean, being an adolescent sucks ass and I hated high school as I'm sure most of you guys/gals did too. Now add in poor family life, low income, poverty, a genetic predisposition to mental illness, the impulsive behavior of an adolescent, depression, rejection by peers, etc....Not to imply all these factors need to present or in any degree, but I think situations like this can be controlled if the resources are available to the kid. Of course, I could be entirely wrong and there's a good chance I am. Just my two cents.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

Yeah, I should have rather said, some kids don't get enough help, or don't get it too soon, and they end up falling through the cracks - and there is a certain point of no return some of them pass. It's very tragic. The movie Chronicle is an excellent example of this, actually.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I hope you aren't insinuating that I think it's okay to carry guns to school.

Of course I'm not. But I think it's perfectly normal that there will be some outcry about the availability of guns in America. And yet, woe betide anyone who dares tread on the sacred right to bear arms and arm bears! If this sort of thing is happening on a yearly basis (not to mention all the other gun related crime), it's really not at all unreasonable that people want to really give these gun laws some thought, even though most gun owners are probably perfectly law-abiding and safe with their weapons. It might be a drop in the ocean, but I'm sure those effected by these shootings would be for tighter regulations.

Besides, and maybe this is a cultural difference, but seeing people carrying weapons around freely doesn't make me feel any safer.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Dang yo, in my state! Actually, not too far from me either.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

And we'll get "Insert Band Name here" instead of KMFDM, Rammstein, and Marilyn Manson

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

And we'll get "Insert Band Name here" instead of KMFDM, Rammstein, and Marilyn Manson

Nah man blaming music for violent acts is so old hat. Now we blame video games and/or the internet.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

It's a tough issue in particular because there already are tons of guns here and they aren't going anywhere. The vast majority of gun-related crimes are committed with illegally-owned guns. Many major US cities have handgun bans, but that doesn't stop criminals from getting them, it just means the people who might have gotten them legally won't. Now, I don't have evidence on hand to support this, but I think the US's problems with gun violence stem more from socioeconomic issues than from laxer gun laws. Issues like a large population of marginalized, generally pissed-off poor people, a thriving illegal drug trade, etc. With our social safety net being much weaker than Europe's, it's not so surprising that people here are more prone to snapping under stress and going on a rampage.

School shootings are tragic, yes, but shit, Norway has way stricter gun laws than the US and Anders Breivik didn't seem to have a lot of trouble acquiring enough guns and ammo to massacre his victims (however the police apparently haven't released information regarding what guns he used or how he got them). Basically I have mostly the same opinion toward gun control that I do toward drugs: yeah, they can be used for ill, but indiscriminately prohibiting their use isn't going to solve the problem and is likely just going to make things worse.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm 

The argument about gun laws is negligible, a symptom to the more serious issue that the kid was probably disenfranchised or a social outcast and didn't have the outlets to vent his anger, namely the parents and their involvement and the lack thereof. Purely speculation on my part, but that seems to be the commonality between these tragedies.

At least one student has passed away at this time.

AppleQueso wrote:
Nah man blaming music for violent acts is so old hat. Now we blame video games and/or the internet.

Sure enough, AppleQueso, callers to the local talk radio shows have actually tried to make a case for those as a cause. The lack of critical thinking of people these days astounds me. Perhaps as much as the shooting itself.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm 

AFTER-SCHOOL DETENTION, YOUNG MAN!

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm 

Quote:

You're right. And when I was a kid it was CARTOONS

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Of course I'm not. But I think it's perfectly normal that there will be some outcry about the availability of guns in America. And yet, woe betide anyone who dares tread on the sacred right to bear arms and arm bears! If this sort of thing is happening on a yearly basis (not to mention all the other gun related crime), it's really not at all unreasonable that people want to really give these gun laws some thought, even though most gun owners are probably perfectly law-abiding and safe with their weapons. It might be a drop in the ocean, but I'm sure those effected by these shootings would be for tighter regulations.

Besides, and maybe this is a cultural difference, but seeing people carrying weapons around freely doesn't make me feel any safer.

I've mentioned this before, but I enjoy exercising my right to bear arms. It's unfortunate that the entire populous can't be mature enough and reasonable enough to be responsible with guns. Obviously kids shouldn't have guns, first and foremost. Because they don't understand the gravity of what it means to take a person's life, or even the significance of having a gun in public. Though the people that misuse firearms should most definitely be held accountable, they shouldn't affect a law abiding citizen's right to own and carry weapons. Gun reform is a pretty touchy subject, and differs from state to state. I am pretty sure you have to go through alot just to be able to have a conceal permit in Cali, as for where I live, we're allowed to carry ours on the hip. I am not really sure if anything could stop people from making irrational decisions with guns, but I do know that implementing a more strict gun legislature, like any other legal recourse usually only hurts that people who are doing things the legit way. If a person wants to get their hands on contraband, and use it in an extreme way, law won't stop them.

My Ebay Store

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 827  Next