Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm 

I'm running a Righteous Fire inquisitor with Scorching Ray - Cast While Channeling - Flame Surge in a 3-link Doon Cuebaryi. Righteous Fire kills almost everything right as they go into it (the damage will just keep ramping up as I stack more health, too, since it burns enemies for 50% of my max health per second before all my buffs to the damage). Bosses get extra melted when I stop to actually cast SR-CwC-FS. I have insane regen of course to counter the Righteous Fire self-burn, but I'm also stacking tons of armor via that new The Formless Inferno helmet that adds armor based on your fire resist. I've also got endurance charges and Arctic Armor...just now I face-tanked Izaro with Righteous Fire on (didn't even bother with any of the fight mechanics) and didn't notice my health move.

I think my Whispering Ice elementalist in Standard is my highest DPS and fastest boss killer for sure, while my Facebreaker berserker is the fastest clearer I've got, but this character is by far the most invincible. The witch is also super tough but still requires lots of micromanagement and careful timing, but this guy just stands there and everything dies.

My next build is gonna be pretty damn cool, I think...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

So, Furi's not for everyone. It's a really weird boss game/bullet hell/narrative-driven thingamabob, and I don't really know how appealing that sounds to you guys. What it does have though, is a pretty cool aesthetic (kind of a Tron magitek dealio) and absolutely amazing music. Seriously, check this out:

Youtube: show

That shit rules, yo.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm 

Furi is too hard for me :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:01 pm 

If you like the music in Furi, check out the composer Carpentur Brut. His music rules.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Furi is too hard for me :(

Daaaaaaaaayum, really? That's... not something I ever expected to read, to be honest :lol: Too bad, though. Shit's good.
darkeningday wrote:
If you like the music in Furi, check out the composer Carpentur Brut. His music rules.

Yeah, he composed a couple of the songs for the soundtrack. Dope shit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 pm 

Yeah. I beat the first boss and tried the second like... I dunno, at least 10 times? Since each level is just a long-ass boss and you restart from the first phase every time, and I wasn't having any fun, I just dropped the game. That game is seriously NES-levels of brutal.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:11 pm 

So is anyone else deep into Horizon: Zero Dawn right now? This game exceeded all my expectations, to be honest. As someone who is typically wary of massive western-made open-world games, I couldn't be happier. Exploration is really fun and rewarding, you actually want to climb up that mountain or dive into that canyon to see what you'll find. Sometimes not that much, but often, a new settlement, some cool ruins, a new dungeon or bandit camp to clear, or simply a fun robot battle. At the worst, if there's nothing concrete, you'll still be rewarded with a stunning vista. :) And boy photo mode is addictive, I spend way too much time taking glorious pics like these (spoiler'ed for size):

Spoiler: show

But it's not just pretty graphics, though honestly it's by far the best-looking game I have ever seen as well (and this is on a regular PS4... Guerilla Games must be practicing sorcery or something). But that wouldn't be enough; it helps that the combat is actually fun. Exploiting enemy weaknesses and understanding their AI is a must, in that sense it reminds me a bit of Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter, and it's always a nice "oh shiiiii" feeling when you run into a Stormbird or Thunderjaw or hell even a pack of Sawtooth. Even smaller robot-monsters can be a real threat when in groups, so while now that I got a bunch of really good weapons and weapon mods, I still can't be complacent (though of course I am playing on Hard mode).

I'm spending way too much time exploring and doing side-quests, so I don't even know if I'm that far into the main story :oh shit: but so far the story/writing is interesting and I hear it only gets better, so that helps too. I'm fully invested into the world. And Aloy is damn cool of course. <3

It's gonna be tough deciding between this and Nioh for GOTY... I seriously was expecting to give this to Nioh easily (unless From Software releases their next masterpiece this year :lol:), and I probably will, but goddamn Horizon is a masterpiece.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm 

I really enjoyed the combat at first. It felt like I was rewarded for actually researching what the enemies did, paying attention to their behavior, setting up traps/ambushes. And it has this "tiers of preparation" feel to it. Like you go hunt some boars and kill some low level machines or w/e to get wires for your ropecaster, then hunt some Longlegs so you can get echo shells for tearblast arrows, go raid a convoy for a bunch of generic materials, then you go fight the Thunderjaw. And there's this element of, like, not just figuring out the easiest way to defeat an enemy, but the way that will cost the least amount of materials, weighing which ammunition to use vs. which enemy, because if you spend more materials killing an enemy than you get from it, then that isn't really sustainable.

Eventually though you have more materials than you know what to do with and every fight is "ok triple-shot ice arrows at the thing until it's frozen, then do whatever physical damage you have and it dies almost instantly." This strategy works really well vs. majority of enemies. Why bother with overriding machines at a nearby camp, luring the Thunderjaw you're after into them, knocking off disc launchers and exposing its heart, piling both disc launchers on the same spot, then tying the Thunderjaw down in a position where its heart will be in view of the spot the disc launchers are sitting in—when you can just shoot it a few time with frost arrows, then throw a half-dozen sticky bombs on it and call it a day? The first strategy is fun and cool and complex and a total waste of time and effort when the second strategy exists.

I really liked some of the writing for the main quest, particularly the parts after confronting Olin. Side quests were really hit-and-miss for me. The premise of the stories were pretty consistently good, but the pacing was often wtf-tier.

There was some side quest where you gotta help protect a caravan from some machines. The people defending the caravan are fucked over because there was a mistake in stocking their cart, and they ended up with a crate of wood instead of arrows, so they can't defend themselves. Afterwards you talk to the guy and he mentions that one of the people at the caravan ran away. So OK this guy was a deserter. You track him down and confront him, whereupon Aloy immediately calls him out on sabotaging the caravan by replacing the ammo stockpile. I'm not leaving anything out of this story, there isn't some point here where you find evidence that he sabotaged the cart and I forgot to mention it. We're never given any reason to suspect he did this, Aloy Just Knows. He confesses that he had gambling debts and thought he could get money by sabotaging the caravan. A machine pops up out of nowhere and kills him, then you fight the machine and return to the caravan to tell them the guy is dead.

The whole thing just made no sense, and is pretty typical of the game's writing.

As for gameplay, the quests were all very "turn off your brain and follow the quest marker." Open map, look for quest marker, warp to nearest campfire, walk towards yellow diamond, fight the machines that are inevitably there, then talk to the person/get the item/click on the things with your focus, and repeat the process. It's Oblivion.

Last edited by Talented Juli on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah. I beat the first boss and tried the second like... I dunno, at least 10 times? Since each level is just a long-ass boss and you restart from the first phase every time, and I wasn't having any fun, I just dropped the game. That game is seriously NES-levels of brutal.

Yeah you just have to go into it with an entirely different attitude. My friend (who has beaten the game) said it took him 6 hours to learn one of the harder bosses, who then only took 2 minutes to beat from start to finish once he knew how to do it properly. If you think about the process of learning each boss as the level itself, taking several hours to complete each one isn't extreme. But I agree that Furi doesn't seem like my cup of tea either.

Erdrickgr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So is anyone else deep into Horizon: Zero Dawn right now?

I really enjoyed the game, and the story, Aloy, and world building in particular; most of my gripes are fairly minor. Along the way I teared up once, laughed quite a few times, and got downright angry a couple times. I'd give it a 9.5/10. Unfortunately I did make the mistake of watching a 50 hour Let's Play of it (GaLm) at the same time that I played the game for about 65 hours, so I'm kinda burnt out on it at this point. I'm not sure how much replay value there'll end up being, but I'm sure I'll go back through it at least once (on a completionist run).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm 

I always turn off the yellow quest markers myself, shit's obnoxious. I just explore and sometimes when consulting the map or on my compass I notice a side quest is active in the area and decide to follow it a bit closely, but that's it. It's true that many of the quests are just "follow the highlighted tracks" though, but at least it usually leads to a cool encounter. If combat sucked I'd hate it.

I know that freezing + sticky bomb works well, but I'm not at the point where using this strategy is actually faster than exploiting weaknesses. Even with strong freeze mods on my war bow/sling and decent damage mods on my blast sling, it still takes several arrows to freeze large monsters and too many bombs (I actually ran low on Blaze parts at some point o.O I seem to have neverending supplies of chillwater and sparks, though xD constantly selling off that shit) to fully deplete their health, and while I do that I'm at risk of getting charged and stomped. So I still try to use the ropecaster, tear off parts like the disc launcher etc. with tearblast arrows, etc. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 pm 

Talented Juli wrote:
As for gameplay, the quests were all very "turn off your brain and follow the quest marker." Open map, look for quest marker, warp to nearest campfire, walk towards yellow diamond, fight the machines that are inevitably there, then talk to the person/get the item/click on the things with your focus, and repeat the process. It's Oblivion.

Sadly, that seems to be the case with damn near every modern open-world AAA game in existence right now. Are publishers lowballing the intelligence of the average gamer, or are developers too lazy to properly craft, map and landmark their game world? It's depressing to think that Morrowind, a game as old as this forum, still holds the gold for open-world design.

Fuckin' pray for ELEX.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm 

So I had these Dark Souls moments in two different games... Just cracked me up :)

The best part is the cause of death on that bloody grave in Nioh... apparently my brain completely ignored that :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Sadly, that seems to be the case with damn near every modern open-world AAA game in existence right now. Are publishers lowballing the intelligence of the average gamer, or are developers too lazy to properly craft, map and landmark their game world? It's depressing to think that Morrowind, a game as old as this forum, still holds the gold for open-world design.

Fuckin' pray for ELEX.

Breath of the Wild = modded New Vegas > Baldur's Gate II > STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl > Ultima VII > Morrowind

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 am 

Replace Shadow of Chernobyl with Call of Pripyat and you'll be good. ;)

Ambient techno @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/eastward | https://soundcloud.com/valcove

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Replace Shadow of Chernobyl with Call of Pripyat and you'll be good. ;)

Never played it :(

One day!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:19 am 

Baldur's Gate and STALKER aren't even proper open-world games. And a modded Morrowind is goddamn amazing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Talented Juli wrote:

Fuckin' pray for ELEX.

The people I know IRL who play these triple A games are not the kind of people who would think twice about quest markers and fast travel and all that. Doubt they even notice.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl > Ultima VII > Morrowind

strong words

Is BotW really that good? I mean, I've been hearing good things about it, but I never payed much attention to it until after it got released and a friend of mine described it as, "the promise of open worlds we were told about ten years ago, finally brought to life," or something like that. And people saying it's similar to the first Zelda. IDK all the praise for it really caught me off guard, I honestly expected it to be Ubisoft Zelda. I mean obviously it was gonna get good review scores and plenty of hype, but I didn't expect quite the type of praise it received.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 am 

Talented Juli wrote:
The Red Snifit wrote:
STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl > Ultima VII > Morrowind

strong words

Is BotW really that good? I mean, I've been hearing good things about it, but I never payed much attention to it until after it got released and a friend of mine described it as, "the promise of open worlds we were told about ten years ago, finally brought to life," or something like that. And people saying it's similar to the first Zelda. IDK all the praise for it really caught me off guard, I honestly expected it to be Ubisoft Zelda. I mean obviously it was gonna get good review scores and plenty of hype, but I didn't expect quite the type of praise it received.

It really is that good.

What makes it stand out to me is that it's genuinely open and you can do anything you want (outside of the opening tutorial area). You can legit run straight to the final boss. Whereas Morrowind, Ubisoft Game, Fallout, etc. are all linear games to an extent where you're following a checklist of objectives. It's not the first game to do this, of course, but it's the best by far.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 am 

What in the hell are you talking about, you can make a beeline and defeat the main quest boss in Morrowind in 20 minutes. The ENTIRE world is open from the instant you step off that ship, the only gating in the game is soft, and the game is only linear if you choose to play it that way. Morrowind is the dragon I try to chase with every other open-world game, and I have yet to see anything match that game's brilliant design and detail for such a massive world.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 am 

darkeningday wrote:
What in the hell are you talking about, you can make a beeline and defeat the main quest boss in Morrowind in 20 minutes. The ENTIRE world is open from the instant you step off that ship, the only gating in the game is soft, and the game is only linear if you choose to play it that way. Morrowind is the dragon I try to chase with every other open-world game, and I have yet to see anything match that game's brilliant design and detail for such a massive world.

Pretty sure you need Sunder and Keening to beat the final boss. It's pretty light on forced quests, but they're there.

There's none of that in BOTW. You have everything you need to finish the game as soon as you leave the tutorial.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 am 

So because there are two checks on a list, that somehow stifles player agency enough to make it worth mentioning as a major strike against it?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 am 

Just search "Morrowind speed run," and you'll find people beating it in three minutes—abusing broken mechanics, of course, but still.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
Pretty sure you need Sunder and Keening to beat the final boss. It's pretty light on forced quests, but they're there.

You don't need to complete a quest to get Sunder and Keening. You can just run into the proper dungeons and kill the guys who have them.

Also, even a heavily modded New Vegas doesn't belong on that list. The game turns into a total snoozefest once you get to around level 10.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 am 

failsafeman wrote:
The Red Snifit wrote:

You don't need to complete a quest to get Sunder and Keening. You can just run into the proper dungeons and kill the guys who have them.

I didn't mean it in the sense that the game considers it a quest, but it's still a quest in the literal sense. Can you run straight to the final boss and beat him? Nope

I'm being kind of nitpicky though, I totally forgot Morrowind was structured like that (I've forgotten most things about Morrowind tbh). I stand by my list. I've always found that in general, while Morrowind (and the other Elder Scrolls games) do things that other open world games don't, most of those things are really stupid unless you're intensely amused by things like tidal waves of cheese wheels rolling down a mountain (or, to put it more charitably, their focus is on the simulation of a "real" world as opposed to creating a cohesive game world that feels good to run around in).

Regarding BOTW, maybe it's better to say it's like Far Cry 2 except with a lot more polish and variety and also it doesn't hate you.

Quote:
Also, even a heavily modded New Vegas doesn't belong on that list. The game turns into a total snoozefest once you get to around level 10.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am 

Why is it an inherently good thing that you can go from the tutorial to the end, exactly? Or even worse, that it's a bad thing that you have requirements before reaching the end? :confused: The arbitrary "sense of freedom"? Who gives a crap about that except speed runners?

failsafeman wrote:

The Red Snifit wrote:

Was gonna post the exact same thing LOL. Best quest ever.

I don't even know what he means about level 10 anyway. Combat being too easy? I mean combat is fucking terrible in Fallout (3 onwards anyway) and no one should ever focus on that in those games.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm 

I usually do that quest by level 10. Anyway I just picked an arbitrary level at which all challenges in the game become totally trivial, combat or otherwise. I've nearly finished the game four separate times, never on anything less than the hardest difficulty available without mods, and the last two times with a lot of extra difficulty modded in. Never finished it due to being completely bored before reaching the end.

Not to say NV is a horrible game by any means, it does do a lot of things right. But we're comparing it to the best of the best open world RPGs. And if you're going to allow modded New Vegas on the list, it only makes sense to allow modded Morrowind, which indisputably puts it far ahead of anything else (except maybe BOTW, which I haven't played yet).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 pm 

I'm thinking about playing Dragon Quest V, emulating on the DS. Thoughts? Never played any DQ games before.

Tanuki
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

Yeah, main problem I had with NV is resisting the urge to do all the exploits like the infinite casino chips thing, the barter glitch, carrying around the leg of a radroach, the dead body of which I was storing about five hundred pounds of equipment inside. Pretty ridiculous. Good game overall though, had a lot of fun with it.

Nahsil wrote:
I'm thinking about playing Dragon Quest V, emulating on the DS. Thoughts? Never played any DQ games before.

I've been meaning to get into that series, I really dig the character design a lot. Let us know what you think if you decide to give it a go

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm 

I never did blatant exploits like that; the thing is, every Bethesda-style open-world RPG of that nature is so easy to outwit that, past a certain point, you constantly have to stop yourself from using the best items and tactics if you want to have fun. For example, the AI of creatures and NPCs who can only use melee (like the Deathstalkers) kind of fucks up if you're shooting them from far enough away, or from a cliff where they can't easily get to you, so it's not hard to just destroy (for example) the Deathstalker queen, IIRC the strongest monster in the game, in an incredibly boring and unsatisfying way. Or, you can use utterly retarded methods like shotguns and nuclear mines and flamethrowers, but have a lot more fun. Except after a while that kind of self-imposed challenge gets really dull, at least for me - it's not me vs. the game, it's me vs. some bullshit rules I made up for myself.

Now, it's 100% true that the same complaint can be made about Morrowind; the difference for me is, breaking Morrowind is so much more fun and can be done in so many more ways. Plus the world itself is a lot more interesting, but that's another discussion entirely.

Erdrickgr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

It probably depends on your expectations. The Dragon Quest games have a non-realistic art style, simple stories, turn-based battles, and obviously the graphics are limited as you'd expect on the DS. If none of that throws you then I'd say sure, give it a shot. There are ways to try it out free for a bit or watch clips of it, if in doubt.

(As an aside, Dragon Quest XI is supposed to come out in Japan this year--probably in the next two months--though a western release hasn't been announced yet)

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:03 pm 

Yeah, Breath of the Wild really is that good. It's honestly shattered all of my impossible expectations. I beat it like a week ago and I'm still gaming it as hard as ever. Such an amazingly big, alive world with secrets to be found in every corner, but also the ultimate Legend of Zelda game. Practically all of the shrines (mini dungeons hidden all over the map, there's 120 of them) are excellent little puzzle-based problems. I really love how most of them don't even have enemies in them and are often physics-based puzzles, which is kind of new for the series, but pulled off so well. The variety of the shrines is what makes the game so addictive to me, not to mention even just fining most of them in the open world is a puzzle in itself. Makes me laugh when I think back to caves from Oblivion or Skyrim full of randomly generated loot.

I'm well over 50 hours in with still 35 shrines to find and solve, plus dozens of side quests and armour sets to complete.

My one and only complaint is:

I really wish this time it allowed you to play after defeating the final boss, rather than loading your game after the credits to right before you enter the boss room. I know every Zelda does this, but for this game it would have been so much cooler if you actually became the hero of Hyrule, saved everyone from Calamity Ganon and were able to continue playing in the world. People would treat you differently, more quests would open up, you could actually visit and talk to Zelda, etc. It makes me curious to see how Nintendo will implement the DLC coming this summer and next Christmas.

Oh, and rain. Rain fucking pisses me off.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Yeah, main problem I had with NV is resisting the urge to do all the exploits like the infinite casino chips thing, the barter glitch, carrying around the leg of a radroach, the dead body of which I was storing about five hundred pounds of equipment inside. Pretty ridiculous. Good game overall though, had a lot of fun with it.

Nahsil wrote:

I've been meaning to get into that series, I really dig the character design a lot. Let us know what you think if you decide to give it a go

4-5 hours in so far, it's a lotta fun! Reminds me of Breath of Fire 3 in the storytelling sometimes, which is a good thing. Solid combat and mechanics and everything. Good if yer wanting an older school jrpg.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 am 

Yeah, New Vegas has much better quest design than any Bethesda game, but what does that have to do with open-world design, which you seem to think BotW is the pinnacle of? Don't tell me that game has story-based quests with large amounts of skill checks and character stats...

I still don't think any Nintendo game is gonna unseat Morrowind, Night of the Raven and Divine Divinity for open-world layout and character progression...

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, New Vegas has much better quest design than any Bethesda game, but what does that have to do with open-world design, which you seem to think BotW is the pinnacle of? Don't tell me that game has story-based quests with large amounts of skill checks and character stats...

I'm not comparing open world design, I'm comparing how much I enjoy these games as, well, games.

In my opinion, Morrowind does not have a more interesting open world than Zelda, or more interesting quest structure than New Vegas. Nor do I think it combines these aspects in such a way that it surpasses either of those games (or the other games on that list). Ergo, I consider it worse than them.

Quote:
I still don't think any Nintendo game is gonna unseat Morrowind, Night of the Raven and Divine Divinity for open-world layout and character progression...

And I don't think any Bethesjank RPG is going to come close to Ultima VII. *lenny face*

If you haven't caught on by now, I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I've played basically a billion games regardless of the system. I've played tons of open world games. I am not a huge Zelda fan at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my first posts in this very thread were trashing on Wind Waker. I don't own a Switch, and I didn't buy a Wii U (my roommate got one about two years after launch, so I play on that).

With that said, Breath of the Wild is genuinely one of the best games I have ever played. I'm absolutely in love with this game. This is the first open world game that makes me want to explore the whole thing. The graphics are awful, the framerate sucks, but I just can't stop playing. It's as if someone took the old Looking Glass or Ion Storm guys and had them make a huge physics-based open world on modern hardware.

Yeah, Horizon is pretty cool and Morrowind is good fun, but Zelda is just on another level for me. It's the best open world game ever made.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

The Red Snifit wrote:
With that said, Breath of the Wild is genuinely one of the best games I have ever played. I'm absolutely in love with this game. This is the first open world game that makes me want to explore the whole thing. The graphics are awful, the framerate sucks, but I just can't stop playing. It's as if someone took the old Looking Glass or Ion Storm guys and had them make a huge physics-based open world on modern hardware.

Hell, the graphics certainly don't go for realism, but awful? I frickin' love them, looks like a vibrantly coloured Studio Ghibli movie, or like Wind Waker with more realistic proportions. Also I've only had very minor framerate issues playing on Switch. I agree with everything else you say about the game though.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 pm 

So I finished Live A Live, and I've got to say that any of the JRPG fans lurking around here really ought to give it a shot. Definitely one of the more unique games in the genre I've played. It's actually pretty interesting in the sense that it's a Square game that actually predates Chrono Trigger that spreads itself out across several vastly different eras of time (though it's not exactly time travel), with each time period playing totally differently. I touched on it before but now that I've actually finished it and played through each scenario, it's really cool how, apart from the UI and battle system, everything is totally different. The prehistoric chapter relies on pressing Y to sniff the air and follow scent clouds to track enemies and wild animals in order to level up into random encounters or discover where to go next (since there is no dialog (they're cavemen and only communicate with charades and pointing)), the feudal Japan era could be played either as a stealth mission or a total bloodbath, and the castle is mindboggingly complex with so many different ways to approach it, the Wild West chapter is basically a puzzle with Home Alone style trap laying, the far future sci-fi chapter has zero battles whatsoever (apart from the obligatory final boss) and is heavily based on 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien, being really tense and basically a 16-bit survival horror chapter, it goes on and on. The near future Mecha Anime chapter is pretty ass though, it takes way too long, is super repetitive and unclear as to how to progress, Akira is easily the crappiest character in the game and playing as him sucks ass, even the fact that he can read minds should have been awesome but the people whose thoughts you molest are usually pointless or tell you things you already knew but need to be told again in order to progress. It's partially made up for with the climax though, since you get to pilot a super rad, skyscraper tall mecha and curbstomp piddly enemies as the military throws tanks and fighter jets at you, culminating in a positively awesome fight that brought me right back to my childhood watching the Megazord take on Goldar. It does have one part to the story that I love though, and that's that the multitude of robotic lifeforms you meet aren't powered by electricity like every other robot ever, instead humans are liquefied and used as a type of artificial blood. It's surprisingly dark for a chapter full of bright colors and toilet humor, and stumbling across a pond of 2000 liquefied humans is downright harrowing.

Despite the game being mostly an anthology for a huge chunk of the time it takes to play (it's fairly short, all told, like ten or twelve hours if you don't dick around too much), it does come together in the final two chapters, and it's wonderful. I know nobody really cares to know and if they're interested by the previous paragraph they shouldn't read ahead, but I thought it was awesome so I have to blabber. The eighth chapter that unlocks after completing the previous seven is outwardly the most typical JRPG section. You're a medieval fantasy knight, Oersted, who opens the chapter by beating his best friend (a wizard) in a fighting tournament, winning the hand of the princess. She is shortly kidnapped by an assumed dormant demon king, and so you and your buddy need to gather the previous generation's heroes and assault that prick. The part that made me really fall in love with the game was that:
you lose hard. You kill the demon king and then the previous hero collapses and dies, right as the roof caves in and kills your best friend. You go back to the castle with the other survivor (the previous hero's best friend, now an old man) and retire for the night. You're awoken by the demon king you just slayed, so you naturally kill him again, only for him to dissipate and reveal he was just an illusion and you actually just furiously and loudly killed the king. The soldiers and townspeople all turn on you, even a little kid that follows you around in awe in the beginning of the game, constantly gushing over how cool it is to meet a hero, is found in his house, hiding with his terrified parents, screaming at you to get back. You get captured, and in the dungeon the old man that helped earlier reminded you of the same thing he's been preaching the whole time, that as long as there is somebody who believes in you, it's worth fighting for them and all of humanity. He then uses all of his power to break you out, giving his life in the process. You return to the lair of the demon king and find... your friend from the beginning. He explains that he was sick and tired of always being second best, he always did everything he was supposed to do and yet always had to play second fiddle to you, a guy who always had luck and talent on his side. So he took advantage of the situation and faked his death, framed him for regicide, and rescued the princess himself out of jealousy. Naturally, you take him out as the final boss. The princess wanders out of the cave she was being held in and says... fuck you! She waited, she believed that you would come rescue her but you never came. Instead, your asshole friend did, so she fell in love with him instead and decided to start a life together, and now you just killed him like the asshole you are. She kills herself on top of his dead body. So now the whole country believes you're a kingslayer, your best friend just ruined your life, the mentor who helped you keep the faith and fight on when things looked hopeless is dead, and the woman you were fighting to save lost faith in you because you're a shitty hero. Now there's nobody who believes in you, and anybody who can corroborate your story is dead. You're broken. You did everything right, you fought your hardest to save the people who mattered most to you and it all blew up in your face. Your despair turns to rage and you actually become the demon king, Odio, and spread your spirit throughout all of history, past and future. It turns out Oersted, YOU, were the final boss in every previous chapter. It wasn't just a malicious demon, it was a previously noble man who got dealt a bad hand and had his life ruined, and spent all of his energy attempting to wipe out humanity and prove that Man is the Bastard. In the final chapter, you can choose who leads your party (meaning you have to find and recruit everybody else), but you can also choose Oersted. In doing that, you play the final chapter as a boss rush, and travel throughout time to replay all of the final battles and kill all of the other heroes one by one, all while you narrate and explain your motivations behind each choice. Holy crap it's so well done, it's a perfect climax to what seemed like a series of disconnected stories.

Sorry, I just had to gush, I loved it. I'm not under any delusions that it's better that the more well known classics of the genre that I love (FFVI, Suikoden II, etc), but it's really good and it's a bummer that it never had an American release. Very glad I stumbled across it.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am 

i fucking hate being australian sometimes, fucking outlast 2 has been banned i finally just got my internet back so i just found out but this is so rage inducing, still guess i will get it from oversea's

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm 

Decided to get back into PoE. Making an Elementalist atm. Thinking of focusing on either Firestorm or Fireball, but I'm not sure which one yet. Build paths seem like they're basically the same, though. Grab a bunch of ES and Spell/Fire/Elemental Damage. And I guess cast speed and crit chance/multiplier is fine, too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805, 806 ... 808  Next