Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:07 pm 

I bought some games at the Steam Sale but in all honesty, GoG deserves some love too! For all the Turn-based Strategy and/or RPG fans; it's Might and Magic Madness today! 75% off the entire collection or 50% off individual M&M games, definitely worth it!

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:18 pm 

I got Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Assassin's Creed 2 for Christmas. Uncharted is really fun and a lot better than the recent Tomb Raider games (except Legend; that one was awesome), but I haven't really gotten the hang of Assassin's Creed yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm 

Haha, welcome to 5 years ago? Well, better late than never. :) Enjoy. Uncharted 2 is a good improvement, but UC3 is rather disappointing.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:23 pm 

KingAlastor wrote:
I got Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Assassin's Creed 2 for Christmas. Uncharted is really fun and a lot better than the recent Tomb Raider games (except Legend; that one was awesome), but I haven't really gotten the hang of Assassin's Creed yet.

Assassin's Creed 2 starts off with a real slow burn, but once you get into the meat of the game it becomes really hard to put down. I think I played a few of the opening missions, didn't touch it for like a month (this was also within a week of beating the first game), then pretty much played it exclusively until I beat it. And then I went out and bought Brotherhood. :nods:

Last edited by sortalikeadream on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 pm 

There was a bit of a discussion last page about growing tired of video games. I felt the same way until I started playing Crusader Kings 2 (mostly for the Game of Thrones mod, but vanilla CK2 is amazing). Turns out that I wasn't losing the desire to play video games; instead, I have a growing desire to play more complex and strategic games. I'm getting into Europa Universalis 3 and I plan to get into Hearts of Iron once I'm ready for that. Aside from the Paradox games, I've been playing a lot of Dota 2 and I'm contemplating getting the new Sins of a Solar Empire game on Steam.

I still enjoy the fuck out of Counter-Strike as much as I did back when I was in the 2nd grade though. CS has the most satisfying gunplay of any FPS I've played imo.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm 

yentass wrote:
I think your question shouldn't be "what to get?" but rather "what to get first?". In which case I'd go with XCOM, just for the mere fact you can get it for as low as $17.50 now if you act really fast and use the GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 voucher.

thank you pity my pc is not nearly good enough to run XCOM so i bought Far Cry 3 today and hopefully XCOM very soon it looks like a really amazing and deep game something that has been missing for the most part on consoles for a while now imo

Kahalachan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 am 

KingAlastor wrote:

Yay someone else who appreciates how awesome Tomb Raider Legend is. Easily the best Tomb Raider out there.

OK more on the Wii U. Still just a nice present and not something I would've gotten myself.

But.................BUT!........Mario Wii U is just amazing! I think they made one of the best possible Marios for all audiences. It feels so much like a hybrid of Super Mario World and Super Mario 3. Two great classics combined into one game. It has the challenge of the old Marios. I die. Not, I die while trying to get every single Star coin. I die just playing the game normally and Star coins are challenging to discover.

And if you die a lot a green block appears and you hit it and it asks if you want to see Luigi do the level. I'll pass. But since Mario is a game for everyone, it has its purpose.

It has a challenge section which is fun. When you nail that gold medal in a speedrun you feel like a pro. It's obvious that even with Mario, Nintendo is trying to get all of us to leave that PS3 or Xbox. Dark Souls 2 would be great on the Wii U. Cause rather than having a pause menu cover up the screen while you try to swap weapons and use items in combat, the touchscreen would work nicely.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 am 

Beat Halo 4 today. I liked the last 'real' mission (not including the 'deathstar sequence' not that it was bad, just not Halo gameplay). It was a surprisingly good ending to a disappointing campaign. The way 343 handled the 'final level boss' was odd but honestly what else would they do? Make your last act as MC killing a bullet sponge who takes 10x as many bullets this time? No thanks.

BTW I was playing on Heroic and suck at FPS so it was fucking gruelling at points. I did feel accomplished after finally completing it though. Unfortunately, it wasn't just the difficulty that turned me off. The encounter design is poorly thought out compared to Combat Evolved and even Reach (only other Halo games I've played). An example of good encounter/level design, was towards the end of the game where there's a bunch of enemies in a room, and you have various interconnecting vantage points you can run back and forth from, making the fighting feel less monotonous. Unfortunately, such occurrences are rare.

Pretty much the only aspect of the game that lived up to the hype is the graphics (well, if you discount fps issues). It really is stunning for a 360 game. The MP, while fun, feels less like "Halo" than it should. It's disconcerting in an industry that's already too homogenized.

I'd give Halo 4 a 6.5 / 10. A very disappointing single player campaign redeemed by fun and rewarding--if signalling a shift toward the generic for the franchise--multiplayer. You can tell a lot of effort / money went into it though. I haven't given up on the developer yet.

Is the Halo 4 engine meant for next-gen, but toned town to accomodate current gen hw? Has 343 said anything about this? They started working on Halo 5 before they finished Halo 4.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
They started working on Halo 5 before they finished Halo 4.

Sometimes I don't mind this, sometimes I hate it. In this case I hated hearing this because hot balls Halo 4 was short as crap and not very rewarding, even if it were more conclusive than say Halo 2 or whatever. To me it was just like "Wait... that's it?" but I guess they probably had a deadline and wanted it out on current consoles, but it seriously felt like they could have put a lot more into the campaign. It was utterly boring fighting the Covenant throughout as well, I'm sure we've all grown tired of them, and there was barely any new enemies to make up for it. Like 2-3 new types?

It was a fun romp but looking back on it already, yeah the game was pretty average at best. Super short campaign, the most linear/scripted Halo game yet, etc. Music wasn't very memorable either, so that's a slip up too with the new composer. Reach was definitely a short game too so I can't say much there, but overall I definitely think I liked it more than 4.

FrozenDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:01 pm 

Completely random, but can anyone help me softmod my Ps2? I'm using this method, http://www.ehow.com/how_6731556_softmod ... y-max.html but step 6 makes no fucking sense, and my console won't read my usb flash drive.
The martyr is ending his life for mine

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
thank you pity my pc is not nearly good enough to run XCOM so i bought Far Cry 3 today and hopefully XCOM very soon it looks like a really amazing and deep game something that has been missing for the most part on consoles for a while now imo

You say your PC can run Far Cry 3 but not XCOM? Either I miss something here or you got massively confused.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

darkeningday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm 

They made X-Com and Far Cry 3 for consoles too yanno ;) .

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 pm 

I am so ready for Thief III to be over with. I just did the museum mission, so I think I'm pretty much at the very end. Phew.

Story definitely went to shit about midway in. The cradle level was impressive and the atmosphere remains to be pretty solid, but yeah. Don't know if I'll ever revisit this one.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:57 pm 

I did a marathon of Telltale's The Walking Dead. GOTY.

I also feel dead inside.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
The Walking Dead. GOTY.

:lol: :nono:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm 

I heard a lot of positive things about that game. I take you don't like it. May I ask why? I'm considering buying it.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm 

From what I saw of HellBlazer trying episode 1, it's like Heavy Rain lite, with a bunch of scripted events, QTEs, timed dialogue choices and minimal puzzle solving. People calling it a return to point-and-click adventure is ludicrous (it has nothing in common with those old Lucas Arts games, for instance, which focused on exploring for clues and solving puzzles), but people calling it GotY takes the cake. It's barely even a game.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm 

Sounds like Jurassic Park. So is that what all new Telltale games are like?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 pm 

Maybe it needs to be taken more as an interactive movie... Image I suspect those are going to evolve into a seperate genre anyways.

As a matter of fact this ecstatic review barely mentions gameplay at all.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

HellBlazer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Sounds like Jurassic Park. So is that what all new Telltale games are like?

Apparently. Doesn't bode well for the new King's Quest they're making.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 pm 

I really liked the first two episodes, and I haven't played the last three. It's not really a "game" per se, but it's the most interested I've been in a game all year and easily the most invested I've been in a story in ages. I don't keep up on videogames as much as I used to (I still play my PS2 more than any other system), so granted I don't have much to go on but Borderlands 2 fell kinda flat for me whereas The Walking Dead blew me away. If you don't like that style of game or the incorrect claims people are making about it, fair enough, but I think the story is wholly engrossing and absolutely understand all the praise it's getting.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 am 

Pfft, casual gamers. :nono:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:21 am 

lol yea i got it on xbox 360 i should have specified that

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 am 

Been playing AC3 and I already have one complaint: the guards don't run away! They just keep coming, and Connor is way more brutal in his fighting. Below's a pic I snapped in the middle of it, and I already maxed out the number of dead left behind so that's all it'd show at one time.

BIG PIC
Spoiler: show
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm 

I've bought and been playing Heroes of Might and Magic VI (I refuse to call it something else, Ubisoft...) and it took me just over 1 day to re-install HoMM III. They will never, EVER top the third game and should stop trying. Heroes 6 is so boring, prone to bugs and unbalanced it makes me sad.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
From what I saw of HellBlazer trying episode 1, it's like Heavy Rain lite, with a bunch of scripted events, QTEs, timed dialogue choices and minimal puzzle solving. People calling it a return to point-and-click adventure is ludicrous (it has nothing in common with those old Lucas Arts games, for instance, which focused on exploring for clues and solving puzzles), but people calling it GotY takes the cake. It's barely even a game.

Honestly, I would actually play the thing before you write it off. The storyline is fantastic.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:52 pm 

I watched him play for a bit and I've rarely been more bored. No thanks.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm 

While I agree that the storyline is great, it's in no way a true adventure game. There are simply no puzzles and it feels more like a choose your own adventure book than something else. Even with no Point and Click experience, someone would be able to blast through any of the chapters in about 2 hours a piece.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm 

Apparently most of the choices you make are just superficial anyway, and don't really affect the storyline much.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

Now now, sometimes you choose between saving bland, unmemorable NPC #1 and bland unmemorable NPC #2 from the zombies! It's heart-wrenching! :cry:

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
They made X-Com and Far Cry 3 for consoles too yanno ;) .

Yeah, I know. Can't see how it's related to my point though.

SatanicPotato wrote:
lol yea i got it on xbox 360 i should have specified that

Oh, that settles it :P
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I watched him play for a bit and I've rarely been more bored. No thanks.

If I was watching anyone play a video game, I'd be bored, regardless of what is being played. I don't think you can judge the entire game on watching someone else play a small part of it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 pm 

For this game? Hell yes I can, the interactions from the player is barely existent! Anyway, I already don't care for classic point-and-click adventure games, and I hate Heavy Rain, so a dumbed down and watered down version of these is of zero interest to me whatsoever.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm 

I'm going to have to put Heavy Rain right next to stuff like Uncharted. I can watch somebody play these games if I'm with a group having fun, but they bore me to tears if I try playing them alone.

I just had to Morrigan. :lol:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:17 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
For this game? Hell yes I can, the interactions from the player is barely existent! Anyway, I already don't care for classic point-and-click adventure games, and I hate Heavy Rain, so a dumbed down and watered down version of these is of zero interest to me whatsoever.

Fair enough, you don't like point and click games or simpler games of that genre. I still don't get how you can mock the emotional impact of something by witnessing barely even a fifth of the experience. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 pm 

Because the "emotional impact" is very far down on my list of reason to play a game...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm 

I just don't know why they couldn't have put in some actually challenging puzzles, too. The Myst games managed to do both. Or some complex branching story pathways, a la Alpha Protocol. It just doesn't seem like they tried hard at all to make it anything beyond a slightly interactive series of cutscenes.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm 

I haven't played any Telltale games but I saw a post on another forum that made a pretty good point about QTEs.
Spoiler: show
Like most people, I loved this game. Perhaps unlike most people, I thought the gameplay itself wasn't weak or detracted from the experience, but instead enhanced it.
Yes, the puzzles were pretty standard point-click fare (you need to fix broken object A, but to do that you need use object B, but to get object B you have to use object C), but I guess fortunately I haven't played many such games. However, I thought in the "action" sequences, the point-and-click mechanics really helped to hammer home the tense and desperate atmosphere.
Having to repeatedly click on the same point to hack someone's leg off made it a much more disturbing experience than just clicking once and watching a cutscene. And having to look down and click on your leg several times to free it when it's trapped and zombies are approaching really made the experience more scary and stressful, as it should be. The dodgy shooting mechanics in the few FPS scenes served as a reminder that not everyone is naturally amazing with a gun just because an apocalypse has come about. While some people hate quick time events, I think their inclusion in the most dangerous of situations (i.e. when a zombie is trying to gnaw your face off) was successful in that it managed to get my heart racing and I was REALLY hammering away at that Q key!
However, it was a little silly how they decided to give Lee a line for EVERY SINGLE OBJECT in the game. Every little thing you come across (Even if it's not used at all!) has the option to look at it before you interact with it. So you see the carriage door on a train and click on it, resulting in Lee saying out loud: "That's the carriage door I need to open to get onto the train." Yes Lee. Yes it is.

To sum it up, it's more about the emotional connection between the player and the game. Of course, a lot of you folks (me included) don't look for that in games. :P

I still think QTEs are a suboptimal alternative to real gameplay mechanics but I could definitely see what Telltale is going for.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm 

Recently got Ogre Battle: march of the black queen for the Wii Virtual Console, that's some pretty cool shit. Oldschool RTS that just permeates that early 90s charm I love from the SNES Final Fantasy games. Anyone know if the N64 one is any good? Thinking about getting that one as well.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Recently got Ogre Battle: march of the black queen for the Wii Virtual Console, that's some pretty cool shit. Oldschool RTS that just permeates that early 90s charm I love from the SNES Final Fantasy games. Anyone know if the N64 one is any good? Thinking about getting that one as well.

Don't forget it's technically part of the Tactics Ogre universe as well. I've said it plenty of times in this thread, but I definitely like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together a good bit more than Final Fantasy Tactics. Same devs in the end and it's kind of a shame Square ended up buying Quest, so they haven't really been able to do much with the Ogre Battle (Matsuno) name in ages now despite the creator having had a lot of plans for more. And now that Matsuno is freelance I think it'll probably never happen, even though I think he was fairly involved in the LUCT PSP remake (which is different enough from the SNES/PSX game, both are worth playing for their wild differences, the originals are brutal as hell, probably one of if not the toughest JRPG I've completed).

TO Knight of Lodis on the GBA is really solid as well, sure as heck beats the crap out of the FFTAdvance games.

On the flip side I haven't played the Ogre Battle titles myself though, but I hear great things about them. The original looks like a beast... complex as hell? People would tell me I'd have to read up on its card/elements system or something before even playing it, haha. And I haven't played the N64 game either, but have always heard good things. So yeah I assume it's pretty awesome too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470 ... 637  Next