Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am 

In two days, Mayhem will play in my city Dubai, the most metal-forsaken first-world country in the world with only one well-known band coming from the city. As I'm a huge fan of black metal, I was extremely excited - I could be seeing the definitive band live in concert! With Hellhammer and Attila!

Unfortunately, I discovered that the venue serves alcohol. Which means that only 21+'s can attend, dashing my hopes of seeing one of my favourite bands play in my backyard. Youtube will have to do - if any of you reading this will be at the show, please record it! This is extremely disappointing for me.

Has anyone else missed a show that they would have loved to have seen because of family, age, etc?

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm 

Plenty of shows I have missed over dumb shit. I missed seeing Electric Wizard and Candlemass for my little brothers Boy Scout ceremony -_-
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm 

I missed seeing Eyehategod because... I don't even know. I might not have had enough money or something.

Also missed seeing Melvins not only twice but three times because I either didn't like them back then or couldn't attend.

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am 

That's a real shame!

I've just seen the pictures of Mayhem live. It's everything that I would have wanted it to be!

Thinking about it again, I've missed:
- Iron Maiden because I wasn't into anything heavier than Fall Out Boy at the time (grr!)
- Judas Priest for exactly the same reason
- Nile because I just had to move countries two weeks before they played
- August Burns Red (I happen to like them, OK!) for the same reason as Nile, though it was a month

And other stupid stuff. So far my concert experience is Green Day, which is rather embarassing when I talk to my black metal friend. He's seen Gorgoroth!

raszh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm 

I missed Carnivore & Emperor because I was drunk!

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 am 

I'm pretty sure there's a similar thread somewhere, but I'll share my experiences.

I didn't see Iron Maiden on their Somewhere Back in Time tour, because they didn't click with me yet. Only a few months after did they finally click and think about how much of an idiot I was. :annoyed:

Recently, I missed Eyehategod because their show here was the night before my final exam. To make it more spiteful, this show was at my university bar and the merch list was still up when I went there after the exam.

But the one that annoys me the most and still gets me pissed when I think about it nowadays is when I missed Absu with support from Portal and Ruins last year because it was at a pub, so it was 18+. I was due to turn 18 in a month from then and all the other pub shows I've been to have been fine with minors so long as they have someone who's 18+ with them. Very long story short, the bouncer wouldn't let me in because cops might come check the place out but was absolutely fine with me coming in if I slipped him $500 (which I didn't) and got kicked out twice when I tried sneaking in. Sure, you can say that he was just doing his job, but like I said he would've let me in if I bribed him and I have friends who've gotten into the place prior and after the show while they was under 18, gotten drunk and stumbled out with no problem. To this day I still despise the venue and refuse to go to any shows held there.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 pm 

Celtic Frost/1349, didn't go because I was too cheap - I think tickets were around $50. Then not too long after CF broke up.. I've seen Triptykon, but I don't think it's the same, really.

Also had a chance to see Condemned while I was visiting London, but I didn't know about the show until the day after. Then the day I was leaving was this powerviolence/grind festival called Chimpyfest.. just bad timing all around.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 am 

My biggest wish is Wacken O.A. 2002 for sure! Candlemass, Amon Amarth, Dream Evil, Destruction, Immortal, Nuclear Assault, Onkel Tom...

Solid, no, Bulletproof line-up

*Drool*

norcalslayings wrote:
Plenty of shows I have missed over dumb shit. I missed seeing Electric Wizard and Candlemass for my little brothers Boy Scout ceremony -_-

One word: Murder.

were they hot?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 am 

Well, I could name tonnes...but the one which caused a lot of pain was last year's 'Brutal Assault'. All plans went down the drain due to unforeseeable reasons.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 am 

I missed a fun little Cannibal Corpse show recently because I was in the field. Sucks because any kind of metal shows are kinda rare in Hawaii.

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 am 

Hypocrisy this Saturday AND Sunday. Got cancelled! FUCK!

Also, i missed a bunch of shows the last couple of years due to shitty pay because i am an apprentice. Dismember, (seem em before though, Absu, wolves in the throne room, also missed Denial of god, which i was shattered about,

No more though, any band i want to see, i will. So many will not come back this far.

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:21 pm 

I missed Iron Maiden on the Somewhere Back in Time tour due to budget problems (I was pretty much broke at the time).
Also, I missed the last Rock in Rio in 2011 when Metallica and Motorhead played because i was moving at the time.
In fact, Motorhead was a bigger loss because I never seen them and Metallica I already saw twice.

Now this is going to sound pretty stupid, but back in the mid 90's Deep Purple came to my home town (for the brazilians I live in Santos), and bands don't usually come here.
I could have gone but a chick I was into at the time convince me to go to see NOFX with her at the same day.
Talk about dumb shit we do for girls we when we're teens.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember now.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 am 

The Horrors was a main miss for me. They turned up for a show in Melbourne about a week before I got heavily into them.

Reply to topic