Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm 

http://www.smnnews.com/2013/01/09/new-e ... nd-lineup/

Headliners:

Quote:
Hatebreed
Opeth
Suicidal Tendencies
Anthrax - performing Among The Living in its entirety, as part the Metal Alliance Tour

Full lineup:

Quote:
Anthrax
Hatebreed
Opeth
Suicidal Tendencies
After The Burial
Alpha & Omega
Antagonist AD
Ark Of The Covenant
Black Breath
Born Of Osiris
The Contortionist
Dead By Wednesday
Death Before Dishonor
Ensiferum
Erra
Exodus
Expire
Fit For An Autopsy
Heidevolk
Hellsot
Holy Grail
I Declare War
Incendiary
Katatonia
Legion
The Mongoloids
Mother Of Mercy
Municipal Waste
No Mercy
Power Trip
Rude Awakening
Saving Grace
Shadows Fall
Suburban Scum
Those Who Fear
Trap Them
Trollfest
Twitching Tongues
Tyr
Within The Ruins
Xibalba

Much better lineup than last year IMO. Last year had a few excellent bands and a whole lotta suck. This year has some excellent bands and a whole lotta good bands. Except for I Declare War.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm 

Interesting change of pace. I'm assuming the Xibalba there is the hardcore one, not the black/viking metal one. I went once in 2004, but the lineup tends to really drag on due to a lot of mediocre hardcore/mosh bands. It's good to see more thrash and other metal there, but it's really hard to enjoy a fest where the appeal of half the bands is being mosh-friendly and having an all-day show.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm 

Its going to be great to see half the kids leave during Blowpeth's set and Crapatonia's set, why they bothered booking these two awful bands with the other lineup consisting of hardcore acts and watered down pop metal bands is beyond me.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 pm 

Because they're actually are popular bands and have fans? It's definitely a good decision money wise. Ensiferum and Tyr are also playing, they're not quite out of place.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Because they're actually are popular bands and have fans?

No because the tempo they play at is far slower than either TYR or Ensiferum, and because their music isn't anywhere near as heavy as the two bands you mentioned. Cross that with the differing demographics and the fact that the metal bands are outnumbered 50 to 1, and its a pretty mismanaged show. You've never heard the stories of Opeth being booed off the stage during certain shows during Sounds of the underground years ago?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 am 

I think hardcore fans would be much more inclined to like Opeth than Tyr. I wouldn't say that Tyr is heavier than Opeth in any sense. And scanning through the list I can spot at least 10 metal bands. There would have to be 500 non-metal bands for the 50 to 1 stat to be correct.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 am 

I'm quite happy with Paganfest and Opeth/Katatonia coinciding with all these other bands. Makes things a lot easier. Considering my dilemma next month with Enslaved, Moonspell, and Cradle of Filth playing three days in a row respectively, I don't know how I'm going to do that.

And absolutely agree with Opeth's appeal. When I saw them in 2011 that was the most packed I ever saw the venue, and there were definitely some hardcore fans in the audience. On a side note, I think this is their third NA tour in support of Heritage (unfortunately I didn't catch them last year when they played some death metal)? That's impressive! Hopefully they'll go into writing the follow-up album afterward.

Reply to topic