Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:53 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/07/04/th ... -canceled/

This isn't surprising at all considering the rate bands were pulling out of the tour. First Revocation and a couple others, then Voivod, then Misery Index and Havok announced they pulled out just yesterday.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

This was supposed to come to Reading... I got my ticket and I was really excited to see Cattle Decapitation, Voivod, Revocation and Fear Factory. Now that it is cancelled, I have to go and find a baby to punch.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 am 

It was a shitty lineup in my opinion. These bands weren't related at all.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:33 am 

It was such a poorly arranged festival, it felt like the leftovers who didn't make the bigger summer package tours that were announced earlier. Fear Factory have alienated some fans with how they handled recent lineup changes and flipping half the lineup each album cycle. Fear Factory really aren't headlining material at this point in their career. Most people who want to see Voivod don't care about any of the other bands on the bill, except maybe Havok and Revocation, who aren't exactly big draws. Cattle Decapitation and Misery Index fit together, but that's a third completely different style.

There was too much diversity on this tour and minimal cross-appeal, plus most of the bands aren't at their peak. When you have so many bands on a tour, you really need at least one solid band and two more that are similar to the headliners to appeal.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 am 

why did so many bands pull out to begin with anyway?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:45 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
why did so many bands pull out to begin with anyway?

Poor ticket sales. It started with some of the middle support bands, who would lose a lot of money by touring if there wasn't a decent turnout.

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 am 

God damn I was so stoked for this. It sucks that it's downfall was it's variety because that was what I loved. Being able to see so many great bands from a wide variety of metal subgenres would have been excellent, and I was excited to see pretty much all of the bands (I'm really not into Dirge Within, but 12/13 ain't bad - and yes, I love the Browning), especially Voivod, who are my second favorite band behind Maiden. Such a fucking bummer,

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am 

FUCK. I was so pumped to finally see Voivod! :(

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:12 am 

Heh, the responses are either "don't care, would've sucked anyway" or "fuck!"

I don't care either way about this one but for the record I thought Fear Factory put on a very impressive show at the Big Day out in 97 or 98, sorry can't recall which year. But after seeing bands since then that I like a lot more, and are more heavy, etc, I still rate that FF gig.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

NOOO I wanted to see Cattle so bad.

Last.fm

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 pm 

I was hoping they would get one or two decent bands to take voivods place and hopefully breathe new life into the fest but alas, no dice. I was going to see this just to support metal in Reading, Pa because I don't want what happened to Allentown happen to Reading; tons of metal shows then none. It's bullshit driving to Philly to see a show so Reading is now the only place to see metal shows in Eastern PA but with this happening promoters might start passing up PA all together again, sad if this happens.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:49 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
I was hoping they would get one or two decent bands to take voivods place and hopefully breathe new life into the fest but alas, no dice. I was going to see this just to support metal in Reading, Pa because I don't want what happened to Allentown happen to Reading; tons of metal shows then none. It's bullshit driving to Philly to see a show so Reading is now the only place to see metal shows in Eastern PA but with this happening promoters might start passing up PA all together again, sad if this happens.

A couple of the bands on the Shockwave tour have contacted the promoter at Reverb to do a show there, but the dates they are picking are somewhat wonky. Like, Misery Index wants to play there three days before Fear Factory wants to. So it's like Shockwave, only with the bands spread out across several days, weeks and perhaps months. I'm not sure what will come of it, but it's likely that something will happen here in Reading.

The band I hope to be booked in Reading the most is Voivod. It would be a real nice treat to have them play in Reading. A side fact - the promoter, Frank Phobia, was in a band called Anthrophobia, who was at one point in the 90s label mates with Voivod and played several shows (maybe a tour?) with them. This makes a date in Reading during a fall tour quite a good possibility.

Cattle Decapitation might do a show here as well. I can see this becoming quite a success, especially with several excellent local bands that could open up for the show and bring in people.

On an unrelated note, Korpiklaani seems to enjoy playing in Reading. This September will be their third time in Reading. I already got a refund for my Shockwave ticket, so part of that money will go to a ticket to this show! The best way to get a ticket to a Reverb show is to go to an earlier Reverb show, enjoy the bands and support the local scene, and get a ticket at the door for any future date - another way is to contact any local acts playing a particular show and get a ticket from them.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:55 pm 

Well, it appears I no longer have a conflict with the Agalloch show the same night. It's nice when decisions don't have to be made.

Reply to topic