Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:42 pm 

I've never been to Wacken, but would love to go, especially this summer. Running Wild is playing, and they're one of my favorite bands.

I don't understand the difference between the two stages. Apparently there is a "black stage" and a "true metal stage". I would have thought that the black stage would feature mainly black metal bands, and the true metal stage would feature mostly heavy/power metal bands. But there seems to be no relationship at all. Running Wild is scheduled to play on the black stage, even though they're 100% true metal. Did these stages used to mean something back in the early days of Wacken? My guess is that now they only exist as tradition. I just don't understand these labels; does anyone know why they exist and what they're supposed to mean? I'm really curious and I honestly don't know.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:39 pm 

I've never been, but I believe those two stages are the main stages, so the names are arbitrary. They couldn't possibly split all the main stage bands between black and heavy/power. Don't let it confuse you too much!

GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:35 pm 

But there must have been some reason for the names right? My guess is, again, that in the early days of Wacken there was some rhyme or reason to it, and that the names just stuck as a tradition, essentially meaningless as of today.

Reply to topic