Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:17 pm 

It's that time again! And holy shit there are a lot of shows! California and Texas are getting 3 stops each!

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:01 pm 

Tickets on sale now

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 pm 

Who is singing for death?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:59 pm 

Chuck's corpse.

http://metalcrusade.org/component/conte ... sacre.html

This guy: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Max_Phelps/300565

I personally think this is a cashgrab, this would be like Nirvana touring but with Dave Grohl on vocals.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:37 am 

It sucks that my city is one of the last ones where Obituary and Massacre aren't playing. Sooooo not worth going to see a Death cover band and a bunch of locals.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 am 

There's a rehearsal (turn down your volume, loud spike at start of video) video of Gene Hoglan, Steve DiGiorgio, Bobby Koelble and the guy that Metantoine linked. I can only assume that's the lineup.

This Death to All tour has been around a couple times but I haven't bothered to see it yet. If I end up going it'll be for Obituary and Massacre, depending on their setlists. I'm not too keen on seeing a headlining cover band myself.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 am 

Man, I'm going to be kicking myself if I don't get to see this when it comes around my area. Obituary too? Fuhgeddaboudit. And yes, maybe it is technically a cover band, but you're forgetting it's Sean Reinert on drums, Paul Masvidal on guitar, and Steve DiGiorgio on bass. Max is doing a great job on vocals/guitar as far as I can tell too. I think they are doing mostly older material from the first four albums or so, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I wouldn't call it a cash grab at all. Simply a tribute. I don't think it would be any different than the remaining dudes from Pantera (Rex, Phil, and Vinnie) getting together and doing a special tour with Zakk Wylde on guitar. Though I wouldn't call it specifically "Pantera" in the billing. Good luck ever getting Vinnie to go along with it though.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:01 am 

A good chunk goes to some charity too. People who say its a cash grab are pre silly.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:50 pm 

This tour began last night in LA! My buddy went and had a good time. I'm thinking of going the 29th but I'm seeing Slayer the night before, so we'll see.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:15 am 

Rivers of Nihil were alright. Not bad at all, the bassist was a BASSIST. He could be in Atheist and pull off all the parts.

Massacre was fucking great, Rick Rozz was hanging around the venue area and took the time to take pictures with everyone including me :-D
He autographed someone's Leprosy backpatch then gave him a free hoodie! Such a great guy that cares about his fans :nods:
The crowd went crazy for them, vicious set. They covered Mutilation!

Obituary played 2 or 3 new songs, which were alright. The pit got crazy for them when they played old jams like Infected(!!!!!!!!!). I don't know who the lead guitarist was, but I could have sworn that it was James Murphy for a second, the guy was spot on.

As for DTA, they were worth watching. Everyone got caught off guard when they started with the intro to Out of Touch, then went into The Philosopher. They had a few jittery parts, but it was the first show.

Highlights: Symbolic, Zero Tolerance, In Human Form, Baptized In Blood

Footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTr-_JwuEY

Considering that Slayer/Exodus/Suicidal Tendencies was playing on the same day, the turnout was INCREDIBLE.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:27 am 

Sean just dropped off the tour due to an injury, Gene Hoglan will be taking his place as of tomorrow.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm 

I didn't think too much of Rivers of Nihil and Massacre to be honest-- the latter has always seemed like third-rate death metal compared to other bands that dominated the Florida scene in their time, although I gotta admit the rendition of Mutilation was pretty kickass, particularly given Death only played one song off Scream Bloody Gore themselves. Would have liked to see more from that album-- and from Individual Thought Patterns, at that-- but all in all, a great set, and the guy playing Chuck Schuldiner's part definitely nailed the solos and the vocal patterns. Obituary was pretty good too: John Tardy is still a hell of a frontman, brings that perfect degree of stage presence to keep the crowd's enthusiasm going without overdoing it or seeming silly.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:34 pm 

Was stoked about this until I saw their setlist, heard massacre was lame and realized I'd only be going to hear a minute of Chopped in Half. Fuck haha.

Reply to topic