Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:55 am 

Looks like they'll be doing a proper U.S. tour this time around!

Dates:

Friday, February 7, 2014 - Royal Oak Theatre - Royal Oak, MI, USA
Saturday, February 8, 2014 - Concord Music Hall - Chicago, IL, USA
Sunday, February 9, 2014 - Mill City - Minneapolis, MN, USA
Thursday, February 13, 2014 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA, USA
Saturday, February 15, 2014 - House Of Blues - Houston, TX, USA
Sunday, February 16, 2014 - House Of Blues - Dallas, TX, USA
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - Ogden Theatre - Denver, CO, USA
Thursday, February 20, 2014 - Regency Theatre - San Francisco, CA, USA
Saturday, February 22, 2014 - Fox Theatre - Pomona, CA, USA

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - Olymp Palace of Sports - Krasnodar, Russia
Friday, March 21, 2014 - Luzhniki Palace of Sports - Moscow, Russia
Sunday, March 23, 2014 - Yubileyny Sports Palace - St. Petersburg, Russia
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - Rock Café - Tallinn, Estonia – SOLD OUT
Thursday, March 27, 2014 - Rock Café - Tallinn, Estonia
Saturday, March 29, 2014 - Teatro Arena - Vilnius, Lithuania

Saturday, May 24, 2014 - Metal Summer Festival - Istanbul, Turkey

Fri/Sat, July 25-26, 2014 - Magic Circle Festival - Helsinki, Finland

Apparently the tickets are 75 bucks a pop for the U.S. shows, helluva lot more than any other show I've been to but I'm too blinded by my fanboyism for me to really care. I'll be there in San Francisco.

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:06 am 

I really don't get how they can justify charging double or more what the standard price is for tickets at the venues they play. I would be tempted to travel for Manowar if they would just treat their fans with respect, but I'm not going out of my way for Joey's clownish vision that his band is worth whatever it takes to get to see the GLORY that is Manowar live. I saw them in 2005 here in NYC, $50 a ticket, which made me feel like a tool since it was twice the standard price at the venue and at that time being in school, that was a lot of money for me. But they were definitely my favorite band back in those days, and I couldn't stop myself. I had a great time, they played an awesome show, but of course there was the insane diva "no photos" policy and a DeMaio bullshit rant about how they should have been able to book a bigger venue but this was the only one with enough BALLS to let Manowar play (or the only one that would put up with your endless bullshit). I mean, they SHOULD have been in a bigger venue...I saw people paying $125 to scalpers, so demand was definitely there...but I'm guessing the booking agents were like "You want to charge HOW much for tickets? What, do you think you're Elton John?"

So yeah, it's unfortunate that such a great live act can't treat their passionate fanbase with a little more respect.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:27 pm 

I'd love to go to this and it would complete my weekend of Amon Amarth+Enslaved and then Dark Tranquillity but $75? No fucking way, maybe for 20 years ago Manowar but not for old washed up Manowar.

Marag wrote:
And lol @ the metal brotherhood. Let's all wear Manowar thongs and slap our ballsacks together in the pit, bro.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 pm 

No Seattle or Portland dates, would have probably paid $75 to see Manowar but guess they didnt think it was worth coming up here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 am 

Mojo Bundy wrote:
I really don't get how they can justify charging double or more what the standard price is for tickets at the venues they play. I would be tempted to travel for Manowar if they would just treat their fans with respect, but I'm not going out of my way for Joey's clownish vision that his band is worth whatever it takes to get to see the GLORY that is Manowar live. I saw them in 2005 here in NYC, $50 a ticket, which made me feel like a tool since it was twice the standard price at the venue and at that time being in school, that was a lot of money for me. But they were definitely my favorite band back in those days, and I couldn't stop myself. I had a great time, they played an awesome show, but of course there was the insane diva "no photos" policy and a DeMaio bullshit rant about how they should have been able to book a bigger venue but this was the only one with enough BALLS to let Manowar play (or the only one that would put up with your endless bullshit). I mean, they SHOULD have been in a bigger venue...I saw people paying $125 to scalpers, so demand was definitely there...but I'm guessing the booking agents were like "You want to charge HOW much for tickets? What, do you think you're Elton John?"

So yeah, it's unfortunate that such a great live act can't treat their passionate fanbase with a little more respect.

"Double or more" is a generous way to put it. At the venue they're playing in Atlanta (just a random one I looked up), they're charging literally five times what Fates Warning are charging to play the same venue.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 am 

Huldrelok wrote:
No Seattle or Portland dates, would have probably paid $75 to see Manowar but guess they didnt think it was worth coming up here.

Sad since the Pacific Northwest has some diehard metal heads who would come out to the show.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:10 pm 

Has anyone been following the Detroit cancellation and Chicago venue change? Pretty crazy stuff! I admire Manowar's steadfastness in welcoming Detroit ticket holders and finding a new venue so quickly. I can only imagine being a fan stuck in that tumultuous situation!

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 pm 

It seems every show besides the one in Detroit has gone well so far.

Anyone going to the one in Los Angeles/Pomona?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:58 pm 

I feel bad for those who missed out in Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta. It's really cool that they've already rescheduled those shows. Sure hope they extend to another east coast tour during that time!

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:51 am 

I was at the SF show last night, and holy fuck it was the single loudest thing I've ever experienced. I mean yea they have their whole all-men-play-on-ten-loudest-band-in-the-world shtick, but it literally gave me heart palpitations when they started, i thought i was going to fucking die for a second. I didn't wear earplugs because I'm an idiot, I would recommend putting some in before they start. Band's in top form, though, if you're a big fan of the band and have the money I'd say it's well worth the price of admission.

Setlist, if anyone's interested (I think this is it, may have missed one/be a little out of order) .

Manowar
Blood of My Enemies
Sign of the Hammer
Lord of Steel
Dawn of Battle
All of Kings of Metal with the exception of Pleasure Slave
Joey Demaio's True Metal Power Hour (pretty hilarious rant)
Warriors of the World United
Black Wind, Fire, and Steel

A little short but I had work early the next morning so I didn't mind very much. :P Tickets are expensive as hell yea but I feel like I got my money's worth so eh. Contemplating heading down to L.A. tomorrow actually! One of the best shows I've attended, hopefully they don't wait around another ten years before coming back...

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:48 pm 

Nanoscourge wrote:
holy fuck it was the single loudest thing I've ever experienced.

This.
The show in Los Angeles was sick, one notices right away the band has been playing for 30+ years. It was loud and tight.
May be the fanboy in me talking, but it's the best live band I've ever seen. Other bands play, Manowar kill.

The setlist was the same but they also played Kill With Power.

thebloodfeaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:14 pm 

I'm glad you two had a good experience. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the show in Houston. Here's what I posted in a comment on YouTube earlier tonight when looking to see if anybody had clips from the show I saw.
<This was posted in response to a commenter who thought the crowd did not look very excited>

"Unfortunately this was a very lackluster show. The vocal processing throughout that others are commenting on was EXTREMELY noticeable live and not pulled off well. I think this, more than anything, made many of us not really know how to react. It almost felt like we were really not watching a live performance. I mean sometimes the vocal effect and pitch would suddenly shift in mid-note for no discernible reason.

Please understand that I don't criticize as a Manowar hater. I think that conceptually they are among the greatest pure heavy metal bands, and I love every one of their albums, despite some flaws on the later ones. The issue lay in a lack of understanding about what fans expect in a good performance. I think that all of us will understand Eric's voice is aging. I would much rather see him give it his all and adapt the songs to fit his range, accepting that some of the higher range might have to be sacrificed, than to be presented with what we saw in Houston that night.

This coupled with Manowar frequently leaving the stage to leave us all watching a video, Joey seeming to have no energy except for when he talked about fucking some girl in the audience or bragging that they spent so much money on the very same technical wizardry that was weighing the show down, Karl only coming alive when it came time for a solo, and the entire sound of the set being drowned in bass tones turned up out of proportion to the rest of the music, is why you see Houston metal fans only waving a couple of arms and not really going crazy.

It's a shame really. I don't go to shows anywhere near as often as I used to when I was younger, and I was really really looking forward to this one. Although it certainly was not the worst I have seen, I have to say it was probably the most disappointing because I expected so much better from this class of a band.

I should add though... Despite the distracting processing being done to his vocals, Eric was the only one who really seemed to be trying to bring any energy or passion to the performance."

drobowik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 pm 

3 days in Estonia, that was insane!

And highest price was almost 100 bucks...

Also venue in Estonia was probably smallest on tour, because it had limitation for only 700 people.

Reply to topic