Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34 pm 

I agree with Azmodes. The final year of activity was 2011, so I think it would be the one added.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 am 

Just a reminder for all those adding artists with aliases of "Necromancer" or "Hellcunt" or "NOISEtradamus" or whatever... the "Real/full name" field is no longer a mandatory field, so please remember to clear it when adding new artists whose real names aren't known/disclosed. ;)

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Just a reminder for all those adding artists with aliases of "Necromancer" or "Hellcunt" or "NOISEtradamus" or whatever... the "Real/full name" field is no longer a mandatory field, so please remember to clear it when adding new artists whose real names aren't known/disclosed. ;)

I take it then, we should remove the real name for existing profiles in cases like this, as well?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 am 

Most definitely. Exercise your own judgement for nebulous cases like Abraham (both a legit name AND a biblical reference that might be used by black metal musicians), but when in doubt, it's safer to clear it than to have potentially inaccurate info up. :)

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 pm 

I've noticed the song titles of Swarrrm's album Black Bong are all listed in english on its m-a page, however, on the booklet of the album, all songs, excluding the last track "Black Bong", are all in japanese(雪, 桜, and so on.) Shouldn't they be changed to their original, untranslated form? Also on that album booklet, the artist Rie Lambdoll from teresa11 and Crossbred is credited as playing "cho"...whatever that is. If anyone could help with the meaning of that word it would be great

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:11 pm 

Marag wrote:
Shouldn't they be changed to their original, untranslated form?

Yes, as shown on the booklet. Also, Discogs shows the English names as well ...
http://www.discogs.com/Swarrrm-Black-Bo ... se/3993395

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

This was brought up somewhere before, but I can't find the thread at the moment.

There was discussion about when to change the status of a band that hasn't had any activity in X years from "active" to "inactive"/"unknown". Now, the band in question had only been dormant in their online social media outlets for about 2 years, so the user was told that the status should stay the same until their was proof otherwise.

But what about a band who hasn't been heard from in more than 10 years? Today the ever fun Random Band button dropped me on our page for Boston's Automind. Formed in '98, released one demo in '01, never heard from again. Their website appears to also have gone dead in '01, which is the year noted on the copyright page (although someone must be keeping tabs on it if it's still up all these years later).

Google was no help either. I came back with a shell of a Last.FM page, an empty entry at The Gauntlet, our page, and a lot of results for some album with the same name by pop rock group Mankind Liberation Front.

Again, no clear statement of disbandment or hiatus, but surely after 12 years of silence it's at least plausible to assume the band is no longer active.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm 

Without any explicit, official info on the status it should be set to unknown. That's pretty much what that status is for, bands that quietly slipped into limbo, without any specific statement. They're most probably disbanded after all this time, but we can't assume things. "Unknown" signals a "N/A" or "no data available" and tells whoever is looking at the page that the current whereabouts of the band are, wait for it, unknown. "split-up" wouldn't exactly convey "is probably split-up after all these years of silence, though we can't be absolutely sure", it's interpreted as a definite value (which it is/should be).

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:28 pm 

Marag wrote:
Also on that album booklet, the artist Rie Lambdoll from teresa11 and Crossbred is credited as playing "cho"...whatever that is. If anyone could help with the meaning of that word it would be great

cho = chorus?

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crown/3540344248

Technically Crown's name looks like this: C R O W N on their facebook page and in all press releases. Is that something we would change to the overall band name?

https://www.facebook.com/CROWNBAND

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:23 pm 

We generally don't stylize names for bands outside of normal conventions. I don't think anyone who sees it on an album cover would search for "C R O W N", they'll search for Crown. Much like we still use regular capitalization conventions if a band capitalizes their name oddly (i.e. diSEMBOWELMENT), we'll capitalize it by the conventions of the language.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:24 am 

Why are there no rules dictating how to handle lineups and artists pages for non-metal bands?

To expand: Ever since V2 went live, the software has allowed for the adding of band members for unlisted bands featured on splits. Band members, guest musicians, production and other misc staff can be added for the unlisted band, with artist pages created for these people. However, there are no rules or notes about handling them or dictating their use (that I can find), which I've seen lead to confusion. I've seen multiple times where users have removed unlisted band's lineups, the latest of which lead to a posting I made in the bug thread, which prompted the train of thought that lead to this post.

I can understand someone not thinking that a one-time appearance on the non-metal side of a split is enough for a full page and lineup listing, but some of these "non-metal" artists have a decent amount of info associated with them and their work.

To greatly exaggerate it in a black-and-white fashion, it's removal of info, which is the exact opposite goal of an encyclopedia. In a more realistic wording, it's a kinda counter-productive if not everyone is on the same page, and I would think that some rules about this subject might cut back on users counteracting each others work.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 am 

Yes, that messy issue still needs resolving. A feature for adding dummy entries to split lineups has been requested; that is, adding just the names of non-metal artists to splits, without having to create an entry (similar to non-MA bands for artist pages). This would make the album lineup tidier and prevent having detailed pages on people almost completely unrelated to the metal scene. We've had ludicrously bloated pages for Green Day members solely based on split appearances, for example. That's overkill.

The current (unwritten) rule is that if an artist is ONLY connected through an appearance on a split (performing with his or her non-metal/listed band), he should not get an entry. That applies regardless of how much info the page contains and on how many splits he or she appears. Just mention him or her in the notes (for now). Giulio Baldizzone can stay, since he has a misc staff connection to Jester Beast. A bit of a tenuous link, sure, but it's there (and he would get an entry without the split appearances anyway) and makes the entry more relevant to this site compared to just listing people who only played with their own unlisted bands.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:35 am 

And what of unlisted band line-ups whose members are half connected with other bands, and half not? It... seems extremely inelegant to split the recording line-up data between the line-up tab AND the additional notes (with the latter being used to accommodate artists not connected with any listed band).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:13 am 

Hence the request for dummy entries.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 pm 

Well, until that's implemented, can't we at least leave isolated artists attached to unlisted band line-ups if at least part of the remaining line-up is comprised of listed musicians?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 pm 

And while dummy entries would cut down on shell pages for non-metal artists, that seems like it has the potential for additional work. Say Johnny Smithson and his ambient industrial hategrind band feature on a split with another local death-grind band already on the site. Not meeting our sites standards for inclusion, Johnny Smithson and his bandmates get theselves dummy entries on the split lineup tabe. So what happens when Johnny Smithson joins a band that does meet our standards, or does production work on a release by a band featured on the site? Does that dummy entry automatically become a functioning link/appearance in the lineup? Or do users have to be proactive (or lucky) enough to find the dummy entry and replace it with a proper link to the page?

BastardHead wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:03 pm 

Going by the additional notes, shouldn't this demo be added twice and have the different vocalists on each of them? Obviously they are separate recordings if they have different vocalists.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... tabs_notes

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 pm 

Yeah, that could warrant separate pages. It would be a drastic enough change to be acceptable as such.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm 

What's the preferred method of dealing with albums with untitled tracks, like this one? With dashes, using "untitled" (with/without parentheses/brackets) ...?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:29 am 

The rules wrote:
Do NOT add an album with a bunch of nameless tracks (unless, of course, the tracks are actually unnamed, in which case, write "-" sans quotes)!

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
This was brought up somewhere before, but I can't find the thread at the moment.

There was discussion about when to change the status of a band that hasn't had any activity in X years from "active" to "inactive"/"unknown". Now, the band in question had only been dormant in their online social media outlets for about 2 years, so the user was told that the status should stay the same until their was proof otherwise.

I guess you're talking about this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95742 ;)

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Drep/22760

Additional notes: Formed in Denmark. Should we change their country of origin?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

Yup.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Switchblade/41408

Should the numerous releases named "Switchblade" have the year brackets? I see nothing to indicate that the years are in the official title, and our software will still separate them out if they have the same name.

BastardHead wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 pm 

Unless it's listed on the spine and/or cover, no. They're listed by year anyway.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 pm 

Does someone credited in linear notes for something like "Management" get a spot in a lineup? I know it seems like an odd question, but we add lineups for most other misc staff.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:09 pm 

No.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm 

Mr. SF01 is correcting tracklists in the strange way:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... Lives/7329

Should it be in the brackets when exactly the track was recorded if the original tracklist is like this one, without the mentioning of the date? I think this information belong to additional notes, not to the tracklist.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm 

Yes, the information about the date and place it was recorded should be mentioned in additional notes.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:21 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Mr. SF01 is correcting tracklists in the strange way:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... Lives/7329

Should it be in the brackets when exactly the track was recorded if the original tracklist is like this one, without the mentioning of the date? I think this information belong to additional notes, not to the tracklist.

At least you can be certain he'll only do this for Sabbath and Deep Purple. Maybe he shouldn't but this guy irks me with his constant reports on DP.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 pm 

Sigh. The locations and times of the live performances shouldn't be included in the song title, unless it's in the actual tracklist. Those should go in the additional notes.

Also it's really not necessary to include (Live) on every track of a bloody live album. Image

Why am I not surprised it's SF01...

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm 

And he is continuing to do it with Iron Maiden now. Please stop him, this is - http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ir ... _One/67858 - really weird!

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm 

^ Yeah, I messaged him a few hours ago. He got it for the Black Sabbath live album, but for some reason I don't understand he doesn't seem to understand the idea applies more widely too.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/435830

So this band member wants the new drummer removed from the lineup until the next album is released. From what I gather here, Jonathan is in the band at the moment but hasn't recorded anything with them yet, which is why the reporter (Patrick) wants us to re-add him when the album is out. He also asked me to remove him by email, which I will quote.

Patrick Jacques Beaudoin wrote:
yes please remove jonathan dale until the new album is out,he hasnt recorded anything yet,thanks again for updating the page and i will contact you when the new album is out,Cheers

So... give him his wish, or leave the line-up as it is?

EDIT: Please ignore this post now, I got another email from the reporter saying it isn't too much of a big deal, so I guess the lineup can be left as it is. Apparently the band will start recording songs in just 3 weeks anyway.

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Tr ... tabs_notes

My guess is the cover should be removed, if the additional notes are correct.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

Is there a way a mod could go into a album and add a track that's not at the end. There's an intro to this album at track #1 making this a 22 track album. But for me to do it, I'd have to move down all the track names, times and lyrics one-by-one. I'll do it if I need to but wanted to see if there was a way to do this easier than that.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nu ... _God/31056

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Is there a way a mod could go into a album and add a track that's not at the end. There's an intro to this album at track #1 making this a 22 track album. But for me to do it, I'd have to move down all the track names, times and lyrics one-by-one. I'll do it if I need to but wanted to see if there was a way to do this easier than that.

You don't need a mod to do that: Any user with a rank of Veteran or above (or even someone just adding a new album, I believe) can change the track order by clicking and holding the track number (to the left of the field where you enter the song title) and dragging it up and down through the list.

It admittedly took me a while to figure this out myself. :P

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:07 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
theunrelentingattack wrote:

You don't need a mod to do that: Any user with a rank of Veteran or above (or even someone just adding a new album, I believe) can change the track order by clicking and holding the track number (to the left of the field where you enter the song title) and dragging it up and down through the list.

It admittedly took me a while to figure this out myself. :P

Oh, wow - I've never had a need to try that before. Thanks.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 am 

How do we list names for a female artist that takes the husband's name?

Ivana "Ivy" Jenkins (maiden name Ivana Vujic) married bandmate Geoff Jenkins and took his last name. She uses Ivy Jenkins as her stage name, but how should we list her real name? Should it be Ivana Vujic? Ivana Jenkins? Ivana Jenkins (née Vujic)?

BastardHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next