Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
insAnum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:06 pm 

Finnish: As discussed on this topic, the capitalization rules for band and release/track titles differ as well. Which I'm against. The practice of, quote from the aforementioned topic, "check how the band itself capitalizes the name and use that" is not a working system to me, as some obscure bands might not even have websites or much proof backing up their very existence, and in the internet you can never know which source to trust. Plus, some bands are so careless they might spell stuff with different rules, which is a nightmare in a wiki/archive site such as MA. There should be definite guidelines for everything, including band names.

Very much like with the other languages discussed here, Finnish band names such as "Hullun Miehen Seiväs" should be "Hullun miehen seiväs", unless they contain a proper noun. Wouldn't it look silly if that band had a self-titled song? It would be "Hullun Miehen Seiväs - Hullun miehen seiväs". Aaargh! Unfortunately I can't help with the Czech stuff, but there's my 2 cents. Maybe some kind enough moderator will notice this and changes will be made. :)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:14 am 

Native Czech speaker responded:

"When is it a band, is only the first word capitalized because it is the name of the band :)."

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:54 pm 

@insAnum I suppose the common sense policy would be to, if it's hard to discern the band's preferred capitalisation due to a genuine lack of or conflicting evidence (such as would suggest that it's not important to them, rather than a decided part of their stylisation), then just use the language's standards.

Personal issues with there being differing capitalisations between band/album titles and song titles though I don't see as an inherent problem in the system. Like I don't really see anything aaargh worthy about "Hullun Miehen Seiväs - Hullun miehen seiväs", from a personal perspective :-) (To me at least it makes it clear which is the song and which is the band, and you could say things like "Yeah I really like Hullun miehen seiväs" and it be clear you're talking about the song specifically. Not that that has any more bearing over this issue either)

And there's the obvious quip that if you want that then clearly your username should be "Insanum" as well :-P

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:45 am 

Would it be acceptable to credit artists for writing a foreword on a band's compilation/boxed set?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am 

Hmm, maybe. I take it you have an example?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:42 am 

Yes. The Nuclear Death boxed set booklet comes with a ~1,000-word foreword written by Michele Toscan (it might be relevant that he already has an artist profile as a vocalist in a couple of bands).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:23 pm 

Should be fine.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:03 pm 

Parent Labels.

If a Label A is bought out by Label B and immediately closed, does Label B still get listed as a parent company?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Parent Labels.

If a Label A is bought out by Label B and immediately closed, does Label B still get listed as a parent company?

Yes.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 pm 

Since one can no longer see the additional notes when adding a line-up, is that to be interpreted as the additional notes no longer are considered a good enough source?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 am 

Dembo wrote:
Since one can no longer see the additional notes when adding a line-up, is that to be interpreted as the additional notes no longer are considered a good enough source?

Not really our intention, it's only missing for (recent?) parent entries too. Looks like a bug. I'll let HB know.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:11 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Dembo wrote:

Not really our intention, it's only missing for (recent?) parent entries too. Looks like a bug. I'll let HB know.

Now that it works, it would also be good if one could see the recording info, since it contains alot of what used to be in the additional notes.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am 

A question about hidden tracks after numerous silent tracks:
should they remain in the additional notes, or should all tracks (silent or not) be added to the tracklist?
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Should be fine.

Quote:
Please enter only the allowed values (Art direction, Artwork, Cover art, Design, Editing, Engineering, Executive producer, Layout, Liner notes, Logo, Mastering, Mixing, Photography, Producer, Recording, Remastering, Remixing) for compilation albums/boxed sets.

:(

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 am 

Hrm, right... I'll talk to HellBlazer about that.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:17 pm 

if an artist is listed on the archives only as a guest/session musician, there's no "add" button on his/her profile to add other bands... is there a trick, or I simply can't add any? :/

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 pm 

aloof wrote:
if an artist is listed on the archives only as a guest/session musician, there's no "add" button on his/her profile to add other bands... is there a trick, or I simply can't add any? :/

There are two ways to add other bands, one is what you wrote here, and the other is "Some bands are missing? Click here to add them (even if the bands are not featured on the site)." on the bottom of the artist's page. But it's strange that sometimes one of them disappears. For example: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... tto/569208

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 pm 

thanks :) I went back and did it with the "Some bands are missing? Click here to add them (even if the bands are not featured on the site)." like you said. could have sworn it wasn't there coupla hours ago tho :/

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:53 am 

Is this seen as a valid release:
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Promotap ... se/5219348
Would be nice to add it.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm 

The hell is this? So this band has a bogus link 'H5N1 Kult' and I've deleted it about a dozen times and mjollnir pointed out that it doesn't go away, which it apparently isn't. The update history shows that I have deleted it, but only once. Either way, it returns every time I refresh the page:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/H5N1/3540273604

If you go to edit the link it just shows blank fields, so it has somehow 'deleted' it in a certain sense, but it still remains as an active link...

Edit: Well I guess I dealt with it. I entered bogus test info in the blank fields, and it created a separate link. When I deleted the 'test' link I created the original one disappeared as well. Doubt this would be a common occurrence, but worth noting.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:05 pm 

^Maybe clearing the cache could've helped with that as well. Just a guess, I've no clue how that process works for you mods.

lunaterra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:42 am 

So I know that band names and album/song titles should always be in the original script (Japanese, Cyrillic, etc.), with transliterations provided in the additional notes field...but what about lyrics? Should the lyrics for a release contain...

1) ...only the romanized lyrics? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... thy/172560
2) ...only the original script lyrics? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ju ... ent/402575
3) ...both the original script and romanized lyrics? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... ail/304751 (not the best example since the romanizations have a few errors and one track is missing the kanji for some reason, but it was the first album that came to mind with this format)

I don't think putting full lyrics in an album's additional notes would be very practical, so I'm assuming that's out.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:28 am 

Yeah, don't clutter the additional notes. The original script should be the default, but having a romanized script following it is nice too, if available.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 am 

Bear with my ignorance here but I've never added a band before. Would a two song promo given out for free at a concert qualify as a valid release or should I just wait until they put out an actual demo or EP?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 pm 

That's valid. But we require proof of its existence (ex. photos or the band talking about/offering it online) and distribution in sufficient quantities (i.e. not just 5-10 blank CD-Rs or something).

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:54 pm 

Yeah I know all that I guess the main thing I'm not sure about is because it is just a CDr with a cover sheet and honestly I have no idea how many copies they had. I just asked if they had anything for sale and the singer told me they had a bunch of free promos for the event. If I had to guess I would say there were around 100 or more because there was two full boxes of them. This is what is looks like:

Azmodes wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:55 pm 

Yeah, that's okay.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:07 pm 

Awesome! Thanks I'll get on submitting them then.

Azmodes wrote:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 pm 

The additional notes for this band, http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/50461, is just a bloated disaster and sounds like it was copied off a facebook page or something. What's the policy on cleaning something like this up?

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 pm 

Yeah I notified legacy4 about that. Not only was the formatting a mess, it contained self-promotion and did nothing but redundantly gloss over the lineup history. You can amend/remove similar instances in the future, but do realize that some larger bands warrant a detailed history in the additional notes.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:19 am 

Say a band goes on hiatus in 2008, but never reforms, and announces their disbandment in 2011. Which year do we use in year ranges for the band and the final lineup?

BastardHead wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 am 

Use 2011 as the split-up/line-up terminal date. But give the information about the hiatus in the additional notes.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:46 am 

^You sure about that, Derigin? I'd say since there has been no activity since 2008, the "years active" should end there. The announcement from 2011 can be mentioned in the notes. Precedent.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:26 am 

My thought is that if it's an official notice by the band that they are split-up at that point, then that is when the band was officially terminated. Whether or not they were on hiatus or if their status is unknown, that shouldn't be used as the judgement if it is known exactly when the band decided to call it quits (especially if they make it known that's the case). I imagine there is less guesswork involved on our end if we just simply go with what the band considers the date of its termination. In which case, the precedent set by Ishitrobots ought to be changed.

That's not to say that we shouldn't include information in the additional notes for when the band has gone on hiatus, of course.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/~L ... oid/377888
the additional notes appear to be a bit excessive.
Bin the stuff?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 pm 

Very excessive, leave the mention of the bonus track.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:02 am 

are single-song unofficial youtube links legit/ok if the band has no other links?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 am 

I'm sure this has come up before, but what is the stance on crediting writers of covered songs? I wanna say we were told to not credit them in the line-up tab, but is it acceptable to list them in the additional notes field?

BastardHead wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm 

What to do when a label have changed name? If I simply change the name of the present label, then i suppose it will mess up for those who search for releases under the old name?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:08 pm 

You select "changed name" as the status. If the new name already has an entry (i.e. album/artists connected), mention it in the description.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 39  Next