http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/422379

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 am 

Done.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 am 

Actually Alhadis if I could just make a small correction about that. That word, "porrada" has no direct translation to English, it means something like the user said but not exactly in that sense. For instance we say in Portuguese:

Levar porrada = Being beaten (levar = verb)
Dar porrada em = To beat someone/something (dar = verb)
Isto vai dar porrada = This is going to end in a fight ("porrada" here translates as a synonym to "fight")

"Porrada" is also more or less an interchangeable synonym with "malha", which goes a bit like this:

Porrada/malha = fight/being beaten, depending on the verb used; something is kick ass (like the user said)

So I guess that the translation shouldn't be "hit" because there's little correlation with a direct translation like that. It could read something like "translates as being hit/fighting or hitting/fighting someone, the band explains the term as hard-hitting music". Something like that would be much more accurate. ENG vs PT isn't always a peach! ;)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am 

From the examples you give it looks like a working translation could be "a beating/a fight".

Levar porrada ~ to take/bear (i.e. receive) a beating
Dar porrada em ~ give a beating to
Isto vai dar porrada ~ This is going to yield(?) a beating/fight

Can porrada be used on its own or only as part of certains phrases/idioms? Is there a verb "porrar" or similar, btw?

I'm primarily using my Spanish here as a reference point, I realise that may be inadequate. :P

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 am 

Yeah, that's what I meant. There's no specific translation to English. It's one of those words that depends on the context and on the verb being used with it, because it acquires a different meaning depending on how it's used. Given the user's input on the report I'd say it's related to "hard-hitting music", which in PT-PT we would say as "malha". In fact: porrada (PT-BR) = malha (PT-PT), in the sense that something is kick ass.

I think that the best thing is to leave a note saying there's no literal translation of the word, but that the band's intention was the one pointed by the user.

PS: No, there's no verb like that. ;)

PS2: This is a somewhat similar case in terms of untranslatable words.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:59 am 

kk, I might write something up for the entry based on this. Unless Alhadis is faster.

androdion wrote:
PS2: This is a somewhat similar case in terms of untranslatable words.

"the 7th most difficult word to translate in all languages." errrr... according to whom? :D [citation needed]

Reminds me of the German Sehnsucht somewhat.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Reminds me of the German Sehnsucht somewhat.

Pretty much the same thing really.

I just barged in because, hey, it's my language! :D

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

Shouldn't the rule be something more like "Do it as the band does"? Many bands mispell things deliberately, Usually names of bands but sometimes also songs. This is no different than when bands use odd grammer. Somebands don't use spaces, such as "anotherdrinkingsong" by Skyclad. Many Japanese bands capitalize their hole name's. Glam Metal artist use corny mispellings like "nite" for "night" & "crazee" for "crazy." Similarly, Extreme Metal bands make badass mispellings like "Deth" & "Mercyful." Shouldn't we just spell them as the bands spell themselves?

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 am 

Depends.
Spelling of band names and album titles - should stay the way a band does it.
Capitalization of band names and album titles - will be changed to our standards. (personally I wouldn't mind writing the last letter of a band name with a capital letter if the band does so in all they logos, websites etc. but it also has some advantages to have one consistent capitalization system)
Spelling and capitalization of lyrics - I normally only correct the most obvious typos, and sometimes not even these. But that's something everyone handles differenty. The guideline I'd suggest to follow is, if you can tell that it's a typo and not written wrong intentionally it's okay to correct it.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 pm 

Anyone know Latvian or even Baltic languages in general?
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... lpi/354374

Google is of no help--unless I could speak Latvian, I imagine. I presume being a Latin-based language, that maybe only the first word of a title and proper nouns should be uppercase, but I won't make any edits without knowing for certain. Most of the Latvian bands on here write their titles in English and of the few who use Latvian, most have every word capitalized--here's a few exceptions which further makes me believe Latvian is like most other languages.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am 

Obscurum wrote:
Anyone know Latvian or even Baltic languages in general?
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... lpi/354374

Google is of no help--unless I could speak Latvian, I imagine. I presume being a Latin-based language, that maybe only the first word of a title and proper nouns should be uppercase, but I won't make any edits without knowing for certain. Most of the Latvian bands on here write their titles in English and of the few who use Latvian, most have every word capitalized--here's a few exceptions which further makes me believe Latvian is like most other languages.

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Latvian

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 am 

Wow. Thanks, dude. Haha. MusicBrainz didn't even show up when I searched Google, but I guess I shoulda known to check them. :thumbsup:

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:25 pm 

Here's a question.
What's with the ellipsis as a single character (U+2026 - as used in Vader's Welcome to the Morbid Reich) instead of three separate dots consecutively? Is the former preferred and why?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm 

To the OP: the RYM links are dead, Rateyourmusic has moved all its capitalization guidelines over here: http://rateyourmusic.com/wiki/RYM:Non-E ... talization

They're nowhere near as comprehensive, though... :ugh: I'll go looking for some replacements later.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I'll go looking for some replacements later.

MusicBrainz would seem to be the next best, other than random sites pertaining to individual languages, most of which being written in those languages (naturally).

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 am 

...Wait, what? .__. I had a major brain fart there, I sort of mentally assumed I was talking about Musicbrainz when I wrote that. :lol: Yeah, we should definitely be using MB's anyways, they seem much more specific and comprehensive. Here you go, Morri:

English: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/English
Norwegian: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Norwegian
Italian: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Italian
French: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/French
Finnish: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Finnish
Spanish: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Spanish
(Latin link is already from Musicbrainz)
Portuguese: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Portuguese

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:48 am 

killchain wrote:
Here's a question.
What's with the ellipsis as a single character (U+2026 - as used in Vader's Welcome to the Morbid Reich) instead of three separate dots consecutively? Is the former preferred and why?

That seems very non-standard to me. Three separate dots is preferred.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 am 

Remove the ellipsis character whenever it's encountered. Chances are it's there because it was copy+pasted directly from a page that uses "fancy" characters (directional quotes, en/em-hyphens, etc). You know, the sort of characters encountered when writing in Microsoft Word or what-have-you.

These characters are indeed very non-standard. I even wrote a script to automatically clear them from every text field on a page. :p

Spoiler: show
Code:
javascript:void(function(){if(!Array.prototype.map){Array.prototype.map=function(a,b){if(this==null)throw new TypeError(" this is null or not defined");if(typeof a!=="function")throw new TypeError(a+" is not a function");var O=Object(this);var c=O.length>>>0;var T=b?b:undefined;var A=new Array(c);var k=0;while(k<c){var d,mappedValue;if(k in O){d=O[k];mappedValue=a.call(T,d,k,O);A[k]=mappedValue}k++}return A}}var r=/\s+$/;var e,i,f=document.forms;for(var x=0;x<f.length;++x){e=f[x].elements;for(y=0;y<e.length;y++){i=e[y];if("text"==i.type||"textarea"==i.type)i.value=i.value.replace(/&#(\d+);/gmi,function(s,v){return String.fromCharCode(v)}).replace(/&#x([a-fA-F\d]+);/gmi,function(s,v){return String.fromCharCode(parseInt(v,16))}).replace(/[\u201C\u201D]/gmi,'"').replace(/[`´\u2018\u2019]/gmi,"'").replace(/[\u2010-\u2015]/gmi,"-").replace(/('')/gmi,'"').replace(/\u2026/gmi,"...").split("\n").map(function(a){return a.replace(r,"")}).join("\n").replace(r,"")}}}());

Copy this code and add a new bookmark in your browser's bookmarks bar. To use it, open the page in a tab and press the bookmark button. The script will run through every text entry on a page and do the following:
  • Collapse ''double single quotes'' into "single double quotes"
  • Convert ` into ' (read: `` will also be collapsed into a ", as per the above line)
  • Turn “” and ‘’ into "" and '', respectively
  • Turn … into ...
  • Word-style hyphens (‐ ‑ ‒ – —) will be converted to regular hyphens
  • Turn HTML entities like &gt; into > or whatever (NOTE: There was a huge purge of HTML character entities done last year, so these shouldn't be encountered on the site anywhere)
  • Strip trailing whitespace characters from the end of each line

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
killchain wrote:
Here's a question.

That seems very non-standard to me. Three separate dots is preferred.

Alhadis wrote:
Remove the ellipsis character whenever it's encountered. Chances are it's there because it was copy+pasted directly from a page that uses "fancy" characters (directional quotes, en/em-hyphens, etc). You know, the sort of characters encountered when writing in Microsoft Word or what-have-you.

The point is that someone purposely changed these on the 'Welcome to the Morbid Reich' page. Is this point whoring or what?

P.S. I'm not talking about Azmodes' last edit from today (as seen from the update history) - it used to be three dots, then someone changed it to that Unicode char, then Azmodes fixed it. That's what I saw.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:14 pm 

Huh, this is weird. I could've sworn that Portuguese rules should basically follow those of English, unlike the other Romance languages, but MusicBrainz says otherwise. (I'm almost positive that RateYourMusic's language wiki [which has since been deleted] said so.) So ...? androdion, somebody, assistance? :D

A side note: apparently names of months are capitalized in Portugal but not in Brazil. So if we adopt MB's guidelines, when updating Portuguese and Brazilian bands, use the rule based upon the bands' country of origin?

Brazilian band:
Está nevando em dezembro.

Portuguese band:
Está nevando em Dezembro.

?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:18 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
A side note: apparently names of months are capitalized in Portugal but not in Brazil. So if we adopt MB's guidelines, when updating Portuguese and Brazilian bands, use the rule based upon the bands' country of origin?

Brazilian band:
Está nevando em dezembro.

Portuguese band:
Está nevando em Dezembro.

?

Out of curiosity, when would that ever become relevant? The foundation date of bands (or anything else in the additional notes, for that matter) is supposed to be in English regardless of what country the band are from.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:28 pm 

No, I mean if their song/album titles had a month in them.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 am 

I'm here! :D

This is kind of tricky, let me explain why. We have a thing called CPLP which is basically a way to install conventions between the different countries that use Portuguese as their primary language. It's between these countries that orthographic agreements are made and applied. We here in Portugal have been living by the 1990 one until recently, and under that agreement there are substantial differences in the language between different countries. Brazil and Portugal for instance have a lot of different stuff. But now we are already using a new orthographic agreement that is much broader than the one preceding it. Basically it's meant to be some sort of unifying linguistic diploma between the countries composing the CPLP, i.e. a way to have the Portuguese language a bit more similar in its execution between the different countries of CPLP. This in turn means that a lot of the stuff that was different between, for instance PT-PT and PT-BR, now aren't as such. That "december" example is such a case.

I've found this converser, which basically corrects the orthography to the new agreement, and you can input text in either PT-PT or PT-BR and have it converted to the correct spelling under the new orthographic agreement.

There are things though that aren't changed by an orthographic agreement, like structuring a sentence, and in PT-PT we don't say "está nevando no mês..." but solely "neva no mês...", as the verb already indicates the action in the correct verbal time.

We say:

-Neva no mês de dezembro. / Neva em dezembro. -> It snows in December. (English uses only one form.)
-Está a nevar em dezembro. -> It's snowing in December.
-Nevou em dezembro. -> It snowed in December.
-Vai nevar em dezembro. -> It will snow in December.

We also use "durante" = "during" for an action that happens during the course of something. E.g. "Vai nevar durante dezembro. -> It will snow during December.".

"Está nevando..." is PT-BR, "Está a nevar..." is PT-PT. :p

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:13 pm 

^ How about the practices regarding song/album titles? Did the old CPLP use similar capitalization standard as English, did that change in the new one?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:22 pm 

Fuck me if I know! :lol: It's all too much really. This crap keeps changing every once in a while you know?! Officially there's only two orthographic agreements (the 1990 and the new one), but in the meantime we had what could be described as "local changes" done a few times. And back and forth. You could say I got lost in translation.

As far as I know though titles are equal, be it the title of a book/song/album. So the capitalization rules are the same to any of those.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm 

So, since I have some spare time I decided to do some checking up. I will try to transcribe the recent changes in orthography below.

-Month names in the middle of a sentence are now lower case. Same thing with seasons (winter, summer, etc.). E.g. "O festival realiza-se em novembro.", "O verão já chegou."

-Streets or names that include months or seasons retain the upper case. E.g. "praceta da Primavera, ponte 25 de Abril, jornal Primeiro de Janeiro"

-The first element of a street name or of a saint can be written either way. Same is valid for a course. E.g. "avenida da Liberdade/Avenida da Liberdade, são João/São João", "aula de português/aula de Português"

-Cardinal points should have upper case when they represent that part of the country. E.g. "em Portugal, o Sul (= sul de Portugal) é menos povoado do que o Norte (= norte de Portugal)", "vou conhecer o Nordeste (= o nordeste do Brasil)"

Still can't answer all your questions guys, and apparently this is way more fucked up than I thought it was. Apparently the orthographic agreement that is now instituted is the one from... 1990... That one surpasses the one from 1945 (wtf?!) and is now under the 6 year adaptation period since May 13 2009. But... it had already been promulgated by the government back in 1991! Plus it had the said changes (modifying protocols as they were dubbed) in 2000 and 2004.

No wonder I'm still confused. Wouldn't you guys be as well?! :p

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm 

:o Wow. And they say English is complicated to learn...

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:11 pm 

I think a lot of that is because we have so many different ways of pronouncing each letter, while most languages have only one or two. Like in Spanish, the letter A is always pronounced "ah"; in English, we have "ah", "aa" (short vowel length), "ay" (long vowel length), etc. But on the other hand, English has simple verb forms, while with the Romance languages, the verb changes depending on the subject. So the "difficulty" of each language is to a degree how one perceives it to be.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:05 pm 

I've studied English and French, my sister is a German teacher, and I'm a moderator of the Spanish sub-forum of a game's official support forum. All of them (Spanish maybe not as much) are simpler than Portuguese. A funny thing about the Portuguese language is that due to the high level of illiteracy (which is still around 10% of the population) and the not even yet 40 years of Democracy (we had a dictatorship and the monarchy was only abolished as ruling class in 1910) most people don't even talk/write/speak correctly. Plus, yeah, we have those fucked up situations with orthographic agreements being in the shelf for 20 years...

It's hard brothers, it's hard!

insAnum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 am 

Morrigan wrote:
  • If the band prints their album and/or song titles all in caps on their cover art and inserts, or all in lowercase, ignore this and use the language's grammar rules of capitalization;
  • If the band uses otherwise "improper" capitalization (perhaps due to ignorance, or simply for aesthetical reasons, such as Fiers et Victorieux here -- proper French capitalization would be "Fiers et victorieux"), leave it as is. (Some mods disagree with me on this, and think proper grammar should always be used regardless of how bands print their titles, so feel free to debate this point.)
I agree with the first point, but as for the second; to me it would make the most sense to follow the same guidelines in both song titles and album titles, no matter how the band prefers to print them. What if the release has no covers available (for example some old rarity)? What if it's initially spelled "This is Our First Album" and on the re-release "This Is Our First Album" or if the capitalization differs between their website/album cover/wherever? All hell would break loose with people switching it back and forth over time. "This is Our Single" (by what you see on the cover) including one track which would be correctly capitalized as "This Is Our Single" would also be an odd solution to me.
Sciera wrote:
Spelling of band names and album titles - should stay the way a band does it.
Capitalization of band names and album titles - will be changed to our standards.
This sounds perfect to me and is exactly the way I see it.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:12 pm 

I know it's been a while, but anyone know the rules of Greek? Rateyourmusic seems to not even have it, and this doesn't touch on it too much. I want to assume it's like a lot of European languages where the first word and proper nouns are the only things capitalized though.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:56 am 

insAnum wrote:
This sounds perfect to me and is exactly the way I see it.

Nah. Then you'll get too many people like me putting in requests asking it to be changed. When I submitted Poisoned By Life I made sure that the capitalization was done the same way it is on the albums because I felt it left a stronger impression. I also made sure the lyrics were formatted a certain way. Within a few days someone went in and changed everything. I had to submit a mistake and have a mod re-organize all of it. That's a lot of wasted time on everyone's behalf.

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:55 am 

Somebody should inform Kristen Jensen user that capitalization in Spanish isn't the same as compared to English.

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Kristen%20Jensen

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 am 

Band's name - Vergos Dî Noctis
I suspect "Dî" is a preposition and should not be capitalized, though I don't know what language it is, any ideas?

And yes,
Quote:
Somebody should inform Kristen Jensen user that capitalization in Spanish isn't the same as compared to English.
I got it:)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:11 am 

Kristen Jensen wrote:
Band's name - Vergos Dî Noctis
I suspect "Dî" is a preposition and should not be capitalized, though I don't know what language it is, any ideas?

A quick Googling session seems to reveal that it's most likely Sicillian. If I had to guess off the top of my head, I'd imagine the capitalization rules are similar to other Romance languages like Spanish and French.

EDIT: Hmm, but it seems like the only language that actually has "dî" marked as a word in Wiktionary is Friulian, where it's a form of "to say". I found a single use of it in a Sicillian article, but in general their word for "of" seems to be "di" instead. I'm not sure.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:53 am 

Yeah, I don't think it's Friulian. Would be an odd choice. It seems to have the circumflex accent for "i", but apart from the noun endings (if they are nouns, perhaps plural markers, at least contemporary Friulian apparently doesn't have case declension for nouns) that's about the only connection I can find. One would think that (Romance) Lorrain is more likely, considering their location, but who knows. What I could find through a quick Google search on that language doesn't even list "î" as a character in the writing system.

In any case, it seems likely that it's Romance of some kind and a preposition. Or perhaps it's just something they made up or frankenstein'd from other languages.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:11 pm 

Some discussion going on here about whether we should correct diacritics (ex. acute accents, umlaut dots, etc.): http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/507261 Input appreciated, especially from fellow staffers.

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:43 am 

Here a number of band names that need (imo) capitalization correcting: Dominator Et Sanctum, In Lacrimaes Et Dolor, Regnum Caelorum Et Gehenna, Et Mortuus Est In Luce, Chakalisimos Del Ritmo, Dueño Del Mar, L'Ombrello Nero Del Prete, Regarde Les Hommes Tomber, En Las Espesas Nieblas, Dagnir En Gwann, Figli Di Nessuno, Pipis Di Celana, Requiem Di Rex
Phew, guess that's all for now=)

Oh, there's also Jose Del Rio, but apart from capitalization that's an acute accents case - the name of the musician is José L. del Río and I'm not sure if it should also be applied to the band's name or not...

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:40 pm 

I don't know if my comment is needed, but Greek letter capitalization is like French, which means that only the first letter should be capitalized, except for locations or names. If we follow the same rules, then this album
(http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/So ... %B5/433186) should have been written like this:

Σονάτα σε τρόλ μινόρε, instead of Σονάτα Σε Τρολ Μινόρε.

I study Modern Greek Literature and that's the way we learn to write bibliography citations; here's a link for further proof:
http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%92%CE% ... F%80%CE%AE

I know you probably don't understand a thing but look at these examples:
Νιτσιάκος, Β. Προσανατολισμοί, Μια κριτική εισαγωγή στη Λαογραφία. Αθήνα: Κριτική, 2008.
Μπάδα, Κωνσταντίνα. Ο κόσμος της εργασίας. Οι ψαράδες της λιμνοθάλασσας Μεσολογγίου (18ος-20ός αιώνας). Αθήνα: Πλέθρον, 2004.

These are examples of bibliography as used in scientific papers (with the words in italics being the book's/article's title, as done in English). This article, also, verifies my sayings: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Language/Greek
Hope this helps.

Please, let me know if you want any help with Greek titles, I know accents can be a pain in the ass for non Greeks.

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm 

Sure, I've updated the OP. Thanks.

Feel free to update/report incorrect capitalisations.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next