Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalMuxxer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:59 pm 

Hi.

I'm always hanging around Bandcamp and I've found lots of label and band pages that have many releases already listed in the archives, but I'm very lazy and also it's some hard work catching them all. In those releases we can find any of this:

- Better quality/resolution images: We can get better images for albums from Bandcamp, with a minimum resolution of 700x700. Anyway, most of those images are very large and they need to be reducted in resolution to get less than 50 kb.

- More/less tracks, Bonus Tracks: Most of new versions of old releases have more tracks, missing tracks or bonus tracks. Some releases doesn't have some original tracks (like intros and outros).

- Tracks in different order than the original release: Sometimes we can have track 3 in place 5, track 2 in place 4. The tracks can be in a different order, mostly in new versions of old albums.

- Line-ups: Many albums doesn't have line-ups on them, if the original line-up of the album can be confirmed from the Bandcamp release, we can add them, but they aren't always the official original line-up.

- Lyrics: Many songs doesn't have lyrics, in Bandcamp is kinda easy finding lyrics for song since many artists puts the lyrics on the song info.

- Releases dates: Many releases have old release dates (2007, 1993, 1985, etc), those releases dates usually are the original release dates of the album, Bandcamp was founded in 2008, so every release with a date before 2008 featured in Bandcamp have the original release date and not the actual release date of that version. When I don't know what is the release date I usually put the year as unknown, or 2016 if they are featured in "new arrivals" in the homepage.

- Tracks with different length than the original release: Almost always the Bandcamp tracks length are different to the original length of the songs, this can be very annoying to fix, but it's better doing it, since some songs have like 10 or 20 extra seconds that aren't always silence.

- Extra information: Recording dates and that stuff can be found in some Bandcamp releases information, it can be useful for some original releases, but not always, it sometimes is of that version.

Now, that is what we can find in Bandcamp releases, still, we need to be careful when we're adding new albums, some of them aren't official, this isn't very common, I've never found a false Bandcamp, but it's not impossible to find one.

Now, I've got some pages to start submitting Bandcamp versions:

- Cvlminis (Lots and lots of stuff here)
- PRC Music
- Todestrieb Records
- CLub Inferno
- Doomend & Stoned (Mainly compilations, but it's possible to find unlisted bands)

That's all I've got, I'll post more Bandcamp links to pages with a good quantity of releases if I find more. If a group of people start working, it's possible to add all Bandcamp releases listed in those pages, and even find new bands for the archives.

MawBTS wrote:
Start an autistic metal band.

It could be interesting. Songs about trains and minecraft. Maybe have a rare pepe as your mascot.

Last edited by MetalMuxxer on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:45 am 

The digital version option encompass Bandcamp as well and that's perfectly fine.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I told you to stop making new threads. Do you really want to be banned again?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 am 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
- Original release dates: I've found lots of releases originally released one year after or before than how is listed in the archives, so you can fix the information.

Please don't tell me you've been replacing old data with those shitty release dates. If so, I urge you to stop.

MetalMuxxer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:18 am 

Antioch wrote:
MetalMuxxer wrote:
- Original release dates: I've found lots of releases originally released one year after or before than how is listed in the archives, so you can fix the information.

Please don't tell me you've been replacing old data with those shitty release dates. If so, I urge you to stop.

No really, don't worry.

MawBTS wrote:

It could be interesting. Songs about trains and minecraft. Maybe have a rare pepe as your mascot.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:09 am 

MetalMuxxer, I urge you not to use an authoritative tone in your posts if you don't know what you're talking about. Some of your points you seemingly state as site policy fact are actually quite problematic.

I don't have the time right now to get into this, will post a better response later.

MetalMuxxer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:53 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
MetalMuxxer, I urge you not to use an authoritative tone in your posts if you don't know what you're talking about. Some of your points you seemingly state as site policy fact are actually quite problematic.

I don't have the time right now to get into this, will post a better response later.

Ok, I've fixed that issue of the authoritative tone, sorry.

MawBTS wrote:

Reply to topic