Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:18 pm 

Hi.

Well, everybody here know that I've made a big mess in the archives, adding many wrong info that I've got from many webpages, so I started to think what is reliable and what not when it comes to adding information.

Most of the time, I get info from Facebook pages, official webpages, or Discogs. Many times I've been told that I should not add what a band has said, because many times a band say incorrect information and wrong stuff.

So, I would like to know what pages actually give reliable information?

Looking at some webzines like M-S, I've found that most of the information listed in there is wrong or outdated. When I search in Discogs I usually find correct information, but I'm not even sure if Discogs is always a reliable source. Wikipedia usually doesn't give useful information, except in some cases.

When I can't find many info of the band in the web, I usually try to contact any band member (as I did with Insania.11 as an example), but it's not always easy to contact a band, mostly if it's an old band.

To make this a little bit more clear, I will put which webpages/methods I found reliable and which not, if I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Reliable:

- Discogs (most of the time)
- Band's Facebook/Twitter
- Official band/label webpage
- Contacting band members
- Albums booklets
- Any trustworhy blog or webpage
- Bandcamp (sometimes)
- Metaleros.de

Not reliable:

- Metal Spirit
- Wikipedia
- Random blogs/pages
- Fan pages

Again, correct me if I'm mistaken with any of those pages or methods, and I would like to know if there are other pages with mostly correct information.

Thanks for any answer.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 pm 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
I've made a big mess in the archives, adding many wrong info that I've got from many webpages...

Wait, what!? :confused: I thought it was mainly bad editing, jumping the gun with the status of bands, and being... well... childish, that got you warned. "Many wrong info"? What exactly are we talking about here? The big mess you speak of, has it been cleaned up?

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:57 pm 

Antioch wrote:
The big mess you speak of, has it been cleaned up?

Not completely.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:11 pm 

What exactly needs to be cleaned up still?

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:03 am 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
What exactly needs to be cleaned up still?

Most of the things have been already fixed, but you can take a look to my Modification history.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 am 

Unless you tell us what it is we should be looking for, perusing your update history would be of little avail.
Answering your question, I'd say stick to booklets and scans on Discogs. It seems to me that your judgment is a bit too poor for you to utilize the other sources properly, including direct contact with band members.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 am 

Antioch - this is okay for now. This was taken care of a few weeks ago - if not everything, close to it. If you should come across something else just in normal activity that needs to be fixed, then I would suggest checking out the date/time stamp and then going back to that section of updates and see if a block was missed. Otherwise, I think we're decent on MM's updates.

Metalmuxxer - always go with something official in print if you can find it. Non-official pages like the random blogs should only be needed if no other official info is available. Otherwise, just still stick with album booklets, facebook pages, official websites, etc. Be careful when you're contacting band members directly - if they ask to change a ton of stuff, especially older historical items, it can be whitewashing which we don't want to do.

In reality, while we appreciate updates that enhance the database, it would actually be better for you to just chill a bit and stop making updates that you aren't sure about. The staff struggles to keep up with all the changes that are actually needed, let alone having to double check your updates and/or revert them.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 am 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Antioch - this is okay for now. This was taken care of a few weeks ago - if not everything, close to it. If you should come across something else just in normal activity that needs to be fixed, then I would suggest checking out the date/time stamp and then going back to that section of updates and see if a block was missed. Otherwise, I think we're decent on MM's updates.

Phew! :D Cheers, dude.

Reply to topic