Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 2269
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 am 
 

The rules for digital albums only apply towards a band's initial acceptance, not the band's output past that point.
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Aeosphorus wrote:
there are post-black metal bands such as ...Sunn O.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 am 
 

Snow Listener wrote:
Sloth's page has been plagued by digital "singles". Most of their so called singles are far from being qualified as digital albums as the rules request. More weird thing is, if you to their bandcamp and listen to ANY of their singles posted after 2011 (more than 100), you'll see that they are almost exactly the same, some gibberish in the first few seconds, then followed by a low frequency noise of several minutes, accompanied by a shitty cover art of who-knows-where-they-got-online.

They should be purged both for music's sake and the rules' sake.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=99105 See my post there. If an otherwise acceptable artist chooses to release/distribute music in that way, we document it. Stupid as it may be, we're not the arbiters of discographical propriety (since you say they should be purged "for music's sake").
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Snow Listener
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:48 pm 
 

Azmodes wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=99105 See my post there. If an otherwise acceptable artist chooses to release/distribute music in that way, we document it. Stupid as it may be, we're not the arbiters of discographical propriety (since you say they should be purged "for music's sake").

I didn't notice that thread. OK, I will patiently wait for the rules to change again sometime in the future, so that this one-single-per-day madness (indeed so) could stop, at least in MA.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:47 am 
 

Well, don't hold your breath.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Snow Listener
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm 
 

Azmodes wrote:
Well, don't hold your breath.

Oh shit, I already started it... Should I breathe now? :-D

Top
 Profile  
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 1337
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 pm 
 

Please, don't. Give it a few more hours :P
_________________
Uncolored, on greeting people wrote:
Salutations are for pussies. Only fuck offing people is real
Uncolored, on being his birthday wrote:
Today is King of Underground's come to earth anniversary, now apologize for your miscreant behaviour!

Top
 Profile  
Snow Listener
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:46 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lin ... iscography
From the additional notes, the three singles are previews for the 2013 album, possibly posted on soundcloud. See also
https://www.facebook.com/thrash4ever/po ... 5547229108
https://www.facebook.com/Lintver/posts/ ... eam_ref=10
Clearly they do not constitute as "singles" as we mean it.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am 
 

Snow Listener wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lintver/3540257034#band_tab_discography
From the additional notes, the three singles are previews for the 2013 album, possibly posted on soundcloud. See also
https://www.facebook.com/thrash4ever/po ... 5547229108
https://www.facebook.com/Lintver/posts/ ... eam_ref=10
Clearly they do not constitute as "singles" as we mean it.

Deleted.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Snow Listener
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 am 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/To ... van/353457
Never released. source: official website: http://www.semilanceata.com/tomhet/
Although someone did get a tape by contacting the band, this cannot be counted as an official release, especially when the official website claims so.
Credit goes the associated report of the album.

Top
 Profile  
Snow Listener
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am
Posts: 113
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/XT ... 014/405522
Just four tracks each uploaded to mediafire (not even uploaded together!). Here is the facebook link. Does this also count as a digital release? If so, there are a lot of such uploadings, see here, most of them are simply one track. Should I add them to the discography? Someone already did one of them: One track "single" in MA, actually just one song uploaded to reverbnation and 4shared.

There is also a demo 2010, which I could not even trace its origin. Looks pretty illegible to me.

Top
 Profile  
TheOneWhoWaits
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:06 am 
 

A case I have reported, and which I think someone should take care of because, as it stands with the statements given in earlier report history, it seems - to me - to mislead the reader about what the policy is. Assuming I have got it right of course.

Saviour Machine: Legend part III:II. Disputed by the band, not unlike the way Zero Tolerance is disputed by Chuck's estate. Both sides' statements can be found around the 'net, but it is hard (for me) to see why this should not be a discography entry when Zero Tolerance is (or W.A.S.P.: The Sting for that matter).
And if Metal Archives' stand is reflected on the Massacre Records entry, which considers Saviour Machine to be part of their current roster, then the release should definitely be in.

Azmodes wrote:
Reminder: "Official release" can in some cases differ from what the band considers it (or would like it) to be. Be careful when it comes to attempted whitewashing/revisionism. When in doubt, ask here first.

This.

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:53 am 
 

Def Leppard:

- 1978 Demo is likely bullshit. The page claims it was a real album, but was later bootlegged as the "First Strike" EP in 1985. No evidence exists that it was released in 79, as far as I can find, and we're the only site that even alleges that it was. Made a report here with more detail before I remembered this thread was a thing. Not sure if it can be kept and listed as unofficial with the new multiple versions, but bullshit is bullshit either way.

- 1979 Demo also appears to be bullshit. The only things that come up when searching for it are links for the legitimate Def Leppard EP from January 79, or pirate sites listing the First Strike bootleg as being from 1979. Not even sure it was ever a bootleg, or if someone duped us.

- This "single" is just an interview with the frontman sent to radio stations. Not really something that needs to be here.

- Promo 1992 was a sampler sent to radio stations ahead of one of their forgettable 90s albums.
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:50 am 
 

Cleaned up, thanks.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:08 pm 
 

Metallic has already been cleaned Disregard that, didn't read main post. There is a lengthy edit warning about all of their various "demos" that are in fact bootlegs, including Metal Up Your Ass. However, Metal Up Your Ass is a name ascribed to a few bootleg versions of the No Life 'til Metal release. Would it be acceptable to add Metal Up Your Ass as unofficial versions of that reease then?
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 pm 
 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Metallica. There is a lengthy edit warning about all of their various "demos" that are in fact bootlegs, including Metal Up Your Ass. However, Metal Up Your Ass is a name ascribed to a few bootleg versions of the No Life 'til Metal release. Would it be acceptable to add Metal Up Your Ass as unofficial versions of that reease then?


Bumping for answers. I have a feeling this would be fine, but I'd rather ask now than be chewed out later.
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
Anthropophagus

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 2546
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:46 am 
 

If it's an unofficial version of a valid album, then yeah it'd be fine. I can take a look at that case once I wake up tomorrow morning.

Top
 Profile  
TheOneWhoWaits
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:46 pm 
 

Behemoth: Chaotica. Dismissed as "bootleg" in a reply to a report, and the MA Behemoth entry claims "the band never authorized". Well ... these liner notes - signed by Nergal unless Metal Mind forged things totally - imply the "band never authorized" thing is bullfaeces, and rather that their labels never did.

Which calls for a clarification of "bootleg" - well "not-qualifying-for-a-Metal-Archives-entry"-bootleg. Is it a bootleg when the band does it? The RIAA's lawyers would resound a yes, because they would never recognize the artists' rights to their own music anyway. I would suggest that a release which appears licensed from either the artist or the label, qualifies even if disputed by the other party, unless it is sufficient reason to blacklist it for being a bootleg. Just because it is a compilation that the band does not list on their website, is insufficient to blacklist.

Which means Chaotica should be in unless one reads Nergal's notes to imply he knows he has no right to do this (and policy is that this would mean blacklisting), and also Historica. And in the very least the "band never authorized" thing should be fixed.




And ... I still haven't entered the Saviour Machine. Asked here first ...

TheOneWhoWaits wrote:
A case I have reported (...)
Azmodes wrote:
Reminder: (...) When in doubt, ask here first.

This.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3569
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm 
 

Go ahead and add it, seems legit enough. Be sure to make a note of the circumstances in the additional notes, however.
_________________
Passive-aggressive complainee wrote:
Communicating exclusively in gifs makes you the most annoying mod ever

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:38 am 
 

I need to remember that this thread exists before making reports. While a few other singles and compilations there may warrant some extra digging, this is all the obvious nonsense, and everything else passes initial inspection.

Black Sabbath promos & samplers:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine

Black Sabbath duplicates that need to be merged:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 600
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:17 pm 
 

Metallica

*Live In London - This was a bonus disc given out with some purchases of ReLoad, not a stand alone release. It needs to be added to ReLoad's page in some form.

*The First 30 Years - A Metallic vinyl given away inside a Metal Hammer magazine. Not sure if this counts as a release or not.

*The Day That Never Comes - Notes say it was given away for some promotion/event at Hot Topic? Not sure how legit it is, if someone else can comment.

*The Good, The Bad, and The Live - Box set of old stuff and singles that Metallica only half-heartedly acknowledges. Vertigo stands by it though.

Everything else seems to pass the bar.


Def Leppard

*Rock Vault - Radio Promo sent to stations to promote a forgettable 90s album

*Yeah! Bonus CD - this disc was bundled with copies of the Yeah! album sold at Wal-Mart. It needs to be added as a bonus disc with a child entry of that release.

Still looking over the various singles (See below), but the lives and compilations all check out.

*Rock Brigade - Wikipedia suggests that this was a legitimate, US-only single, while Discogs and MusicMight list it as a US-only promo. I can't find anything definitive one way or the other, but the only other version I can find is a promo-only Japanese release.

*20th Century Boy - listed as a promo at Discogs

*Nine Lives - Promo only, according to Discogs

Ozzy Osbourne (solo stuff)
* Demo 1980 - No mention of this anywhere at all on the internet. Existence is doubtful, seeing as the first track (initially a b-side) wasn't even written until recording had started on Blizzard of Ozz.

*Heavy Metall Express - This is a give away from the May '81 issue of German music magazine MusikExpress. It's little more than a third-party sampler.

*These two releases need to be merged into one entry, as they are the same. Little Dolls was never released as a single, it was simply the b-side to Tonight. We're the only site out there that lists otherwise.

*Revelation (Mother Earth) - There's no evidence on any site (not even Ozbourne's own site) to show that this was released as a single, or anything else for that matter.

*Iron Man (Live) - Again, no evidence exists supporting this being a single, not even so much as a second-hand seller, or discogs entry. For what it's worth, someone at RYM suggests it was real, but the catalog number doesn't match anything logged for Jet Records at 45Cat.com.

*Metal Fusion - This was a European comp by Epic Records. It's not exactly part of anyone's discography, but it falls into that grey area of what qualifies a release as a VA or a large split. I would personally trash it, but what do I know.

*This thing isn't listed anywhere online, but as the cover on our page states, it's a promo release for the then-upcoming Tribute album for Randy Rhodes.

*Live Pigs - Promo release, additional notes

*Devil's Daughter - Nothing online, but our notes say it's a promotional release

*The Urpney Song - This wasn't so much a single by Ozzy Osbourne (the entity/group), but was a soundtrack contribution that Ozzy Obsourne (the artist) lent his voice to, with 4 other people. It doesn't really qualify as a release under this particular group header.

*These Two releases need to be merged together. The 2003 release is simply a remaster version of the original. It should be a child entry, not a new entry.

*Mr. Tinkertrain - Promo only release

*4 from Ozzmosis - Promo only release

*Ballads of Ozz - Promo only release, as seen on our picture

*Mississippi Queen - Questionable. I remember hearing it on the radio, but I can't find much about it being released on a physical format. Blabbermouth article says that the song was available as a paid download, but it's not clear if it was a separate "single" download, or if it was simply a downloadable track from the overall album. The links in the article are either dead, or not available in the US. It likely can pass, but the evidence isn't solid.

*Not Going Away - Promo release, as shown in our notes and at Discogs.

*Black Rain - Also questionable. No evidence of a physical release online, and there is no separate release for the song on digital outlets like iTunes.

*Life Won't Wait & Let It Die - Neither of these show up for physical releases. However, since the are from after the digital age, it's possible that they were once available as digital singles that have since been removed.

*The Ozzmosis Demos are likely a bootleg. I can't find much information on it, but the tracklist does match up with first disc on this semi-shadey Japanese release floating around out there. A different bootleg release with the same generic name surfaced in 2014, but any connection between the two is a mystery.

*The Bark at the Moon outtakes are also likely a bootleg. Same as the Ozzmosis Demos above, there's a shady Japanese release floating about that matches up with out release.

*RSVP Music Videos - A third-party comp of metal videos that happen to include Ozzy. Not really a legitimate release from him or his label.

*These Two releases can be merged. The 2000 release is just a DVD reissue of the original VHS version.

*Best Hits Collection - Third party comp of music videos. May or may not be legit, more opinions welcome.

Williams Street Records
This seems to be a constant issue. Williams Street, the label tied to Adult Swim, runs a yearly summer promotion entitled The 20XX Adult Swim Singles Program. They release a song for free download each week, or you can wait and download the entire VA album in full at the end of the promotion. People here seem to love adding the individual downloads as digital singles. I've personally reported these for deletion (Mastodon and Absu in particular) a number of times before, and even though the staff removes them each time, they seem to find their way back. All of these "singles" are parts of this promotion, and need to go.

*The Octagonal Stairway

*Atlanta

*Deathbound

*From the Kettle onto the Coil

*The Clarity (The Williams Street digital needs to go, but the independent vinyl is a legitimate release)

*Hall of the Masters

Unrelated: I know that promo-only releases are looked at for purging. But, if a promo version was released along side official for-sale versions, can the promo be counted as a child release?
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group