Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:35 pm 

In the past 10 months or so, I've grown very fond of black metal and black/thrash (this thread only pertains to black/thrash though). I've mainly gotten into bands like Destroyer 666, Aura Noir, Desaster, (Ger) Poison, and basically all the bands that everyone should know by default. I know many of you on here are much more versed than I am in this sort of thing, and I would appreciate it greatly if anyone would drop some reputable names that would be worth checking into! :)

I'm not very picky when it comes to getting into a brand new genre, and will listen with open ears to pretty much anything. Thanks in advance to whoever can shed some light on my mystery! :hail:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Last edited by Maniac Matis on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

i find Ketzer from Germany pretty enjoyable, both full lengths are good.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ketzer/57499

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 pm 

Doh! Forgot to mention that I've listened to Ketzer before. But yes they are a good band! Thank you!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:15 pm 

A few from the totally obvious category that you didn't mention. Sorry if you know these, I'm not super deep into this style either.

Sabbat (Jpn) - You can ignore the ten million live and split releases and just stick to the main discography for now. First four are very similar, solid blacking thrash. After that they develop more character and variety, but every album is a killer. If you don't want to go in order, maybe start with Envenom, The Dwelling, Karisma, and Karmagmassacre for an overview.

Nifelheim - Black metal with an obvious and present thrash influence. Can't go wrong with anything from these guys, and they don't give a fuck what you think.

Dodheimsgard - Monumental Possession. This album specifically has an evil black thrash sound not found elsewhere in their discography. The first album rules too, but is much more of a classic Norwegian BM affair. Anyway, this one has Apollyon on it, which eventually led me to Aura Noir. Approach the rest of their work with caution as the quality begins to decrease drastically after this one.

Sauron - Thrash Assault. Short, nasty and fast. The second one is good too but I don't think I've heard it more than once.

Abigail is great too, for the thrashy aspect I'd start with Forever Street Metal Bitch. Other albums vary from straight black metal to the more 'street' Motorheady nastiness.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm 

Razor of Occam - has a member from d666 in it..so yeah, you've probably heard it haha. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Razor_of_Occam/9795

Gospel of the Horns - more australian black thrash. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gos ... Horns/2788

Luctus - from lithuania, pretty solid stuff. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Luctus/9342

Bestial Mockery - from svvveeeden. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bestial_Mockery/432

that's all i got for now, i'm not deep in the underground too much with black thrash, but they are allg ood.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm 

Perhaps more black/DEATH/thrash but give Terrorama a try. Great band. Especially Genocide is an album worth hearing.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 pm 

When I think of black-thrash I tend to more think of the older bands, like Sarcofago and some of the Brazilian bands like Holocausto, Vulcano, Mutilator, also Sadistik Exekution, Infernal Majesty, GREAT Italian black-thrash bands like Schizo and Necrodeth, even Mortuary Drape though they are more black metal with less thrash, Bulldozer, Sodom and Bathory of course, Slaughter Lord, Slaughter, etc

I LOVE all those bands.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm 

Perversor from Chile. Foul black thrash with a Germanic South American feel. If that makes any sense.

Protector from Germany need a mention as well if you
like Poison.

There is also The Day of the Beast. Excellent US black thrash. Their s/t and follow up Relentless Demonic Intrusion are both awesome. They are local to me and put on a killer live set. The deserve a mention.

Last edited by Delta_Wing on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm 

day of the beast reminded me of Dead to this World for some reason..black thrash out of norway with ex immortal members!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dea ... orld/36876

*edit* and i'll second perversor, great band.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 pm 

Agree wholeheartedly with the recs of all the Brazilian bands, as well as Sad Ex, Mortuary Drape, Bulldozer, Sodom, Bathory, etc. Hell, even the first two Kreator could fit the bill just on the basis of being fast as hell and evil.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 pm 

Check out Kill for Satan for some black/thrash with a decent amount of cool melodic leads. Also give Norway's Nekromantheon a listen.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 am 

Check out this old thread on the same subject:

viewtopic.php?t=74022

Lots of good recs there.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 am 

Some great recs here indeed, many bands very close to my black heart. Ill throw one out, NOCTURNAL, from Germany.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am 

Oh man, you have to check out Impiety and Absu then. Impiety are blackened thrash from Singapore but the band (Shyaithan) has had several lineup changes and few relocations. And Absu's recent work is in the vein of blackened-thrash. Both are legendary bands, unless you already know of them.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 pm 

Hi guys! I've been super busy lately and have been meaning to get back to you all. I havn't had the time to check out all of these recs, but for the ones I have, and like:

Dodheimsgard
Sabbat
Nifelheim
Sauron
Bulldozer
Holocausto
Nekromantheon
Terrorama
Razor of Occam (Also forgot to mention that I've been listening to these guys, but thanks for reminding me!)
Mortuary Drape

I also did end up looking through that whole thread, Fred Garvin. Lots of good recs in there but havn't gotten to them all yet. I'll be sure to check out the rest! Thanks again everyone.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Reply to topic