Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm 

I'm looking for a band that mixes black metal with Classic/Epic doom metal (think EDM-era Candlemass).

So far, the only band I've found that comes close is Faustcoven.

Are there any bands that match the description I'm looking for?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:54 pm 

Whenever someone mentions Candlemass and black metal in the same sentence I think of Hooded Priest. It's doom, it's (semi-)epic, and it flirts with black metal. Great band.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Whenever someone mentions Candlemass and black metal in the same sentence I think of Hooded Priest. It's doom, it's (semi-)epic, and it flirts with black metal. Great band.

Came here to mention them since they came to my mind first thing, too.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm 

Hooded Menace isn't bad, but I'm looking for a more even distribution between black and doom metal.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 am 

Ophthalamia "Via Dolorosa"

DarkBarrage99
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:34 am 

check out the first opeth album and some of their early demos? it's pretty heavily influenced by candlemass and some bm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:31 pm 

Advanced Search > Blackened Doom

Turned up Tristitia - they might have the slower pace you're looking for. Obviously it's going to be difficult to compete with Messiah just in general, so .. happy hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjaXVWyFRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gp4j8q5L1E

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm 

May not be entirely what you want but only thing I can think of is the album "Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite" by The Ruins of Beverast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7tEClqBzU

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm 

Adept128 wrote:
Hooded Menace isn't bad, but I'm looking for a more even distribution between black and doom metal.

check again, it's hooded priest not menace :)

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 pm 

hell's III maybe?

http://loweryourhead.bandcamp.com/track/decedere

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

Wouldn't Primordial fit that description? Doomy epic/melodic black metal? Perhaps it's not bombastic enough though for what you're thinking.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 am 

Definitely Primordial

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:31 am 

Adept128 wrote:

As another poster said, Hooded PRIEST, not Menace. I will gladly second their recommendation. Urfaust might be another good suggestion, they shared members early on. Doomy atmospheric black metal with creepy keyboards and haunted, messed up vocals.

Ereb Altor began as a Hybrid of Viking-era Bathory & Candlemass for 2 albums, their latest it's more Blood Fire Death + Candlemass influences. Certainly a very worthy band. If you like them, also try to track down their earlier band Windwalker (they played blackened epic heavy metal), and if you enjoy the doomy aspects of the music, all the members of Ereb Altor are involved in Isole, a progressive death/doom band

Thirding Primordial. The Gathering Wilderness is the best album for the doomy style I think, but most of their albums should be of interest in some respect, moreso the later ones. Alan Averil just founded a new band called Dread Sovereign which is old school black/doom metal, nasally Mark Shelton/King Diamond vocals and all. It's fantastic, and would fit perfectly with what the OP is looking for (alongside Hooded Priest).

Speaking of Irish bands, Mael Mordha play epic doom with celtic folk, black metal and death metal influences (though these are marginal). Check out songs like "Winds of One Thousand Winters" or "Godless Commune of Sodom" for a good mix of elements and go from there.

Agalloch were fairly doomy on "Ashes Against the Grains" in places, though not evenly distributed. The music gets pretty epic, building up in lots of post-rock-soaked crescendos.

I'd suggest the last Celtic Frost album "Monotheist" and Triptykon's material. Don't pay attention to the metal archives genre tag, it's certainly gothically influenced, but mostly it's a mix of death/doom and Norweigan-style black metal. Great band. Just checked something on Triptykon's page and the band Agnes Vein is tagged as a related artist with the genre tag as "Black/Doom/Epic Metal". Might be worth a peek also.

Forest Stream are a Russian band, their music is pretty epic with long songs, grand orchestrations, and dynamic songwriting. Sounds like a combination of Agalloch, Dimmu Borgir/Emperor, and Katatonia. If I wanted to drown their description in genre tags, it'd be something like symphonic black/melodic death-doom/folk metal. "The Crown of Winter is one of my favourite releases as of late, really quality band from a totally unexpected place.

Hooded Priest or Dread Sovereign are the best examples I can think of out of them all so far.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:53 pm 

g_k wrote:
Adept128 wrote:

check again, it's hooded priest not menace :)

Whoops, sorry. I have no idea why I typed Hooded Menace

EDIT: I am also familiar with Primordial (who I really like), but they don't have the riffing style I'm looking for. I'm looking for more primitive, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus-era Candlemass instead of anything more like their later career.

Really digging Ruins of Beverast so far; thanks

EDIT2: Also add Dread Sovereign to the list too, even though they're not entirely what I'm looking for.

I guess I could have phrased the OP better; I'm looking for Black Metal + Candlemass where bm is the primary genre.

Reply to topic