Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 am 
 

Bands like:

Symphony X https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
Adagio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfvOdL3RrM
Jag Panzer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtkdJspdAmw

etc. Preferably not tooo cheesy on the power metal side. Preferably more progressive or thrashy when it picks up. I'll check out other genres too if the classical is interesting

Top
 Profile  
EpicSceptic
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am
Posts: 421
Location: South Africa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am 
 

I've heard a lot of people say the Necrophagist album Epitaph has heavy classical influence, which is also why they dislike it mind you, but it might be a bit heavy for what you are looking for:



Then, again on the heavy side of things, there is Fleshgod Apocalypse:


Top
 Profile  
wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:16 pm
Posts: 340
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm 
 

Mekong Delta would be an obvious choice, having covered a whole Mussorgsky album, plus various other classical songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

Edit: Oh wait, I just saw who posted this thread... You already know! :-D

Top
 Profile  
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 977
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
 

Saving few keystrokes for first USPM person entering this thread: Helstar - Nosferatu

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 925
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 am 
 

obtained enslavement - black metal with a huge classical influence
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 1545
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm 
 

Check out End Zone of Russia. First album was prog/thrash on the side of Mekong Delta with some strong classical leanings and death metal elements (mostly vocals), their second was mostly (entirely? it's been years since I've last listened to it) instrumental classical metal, and their last is sort of power/groovy and unfortunately with a weak singer and production because otherwise it was probably their best fusion of aggressive metal with classical elements. Lead guitarist also plays the flute on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD97C2tXXw (not the best representation for the album; the rest has more classical stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1_pRuV1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHBoAQ5YfQM

Top
 Profile  
hailmarduk666
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 27
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:04 pm 
 

I didn't see the mentioning of "Winds" from Norway. It features Hellhammer (Mayhem, Shining, Emperor, etc.), and is extremely classical in the riffing, and has pretty excellent clean vocals. The album "The Imaginary Direction of Time" is a fantastic record. Definitely worth the look.

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:40 pm 
 

Haggard


Or if you'd like some guitar masturbation, Richard Andersson's Space Odyssey

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 am 
 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Mekong Delta would be an obvious choice, having covered a whole Mussorgsky album, plus various other classical songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

Edit: Oh wait, I just saw who posted this thread... You already know! :-D


I did already know them :) and I have paid for several of their songs on itunes. That one was new too me though, and very fun to listen to. I like their interpretation. Thanks!

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 am 
 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Check out End Zone of Russia. First album was prog/thrash on the side of Mekong Delta with some strong classical leanings and death metal elements (mostly vocals), their second was mostly (entirely? it's been years since I've last listened to it) instrumental classical metal, and their last is sort of power/groovy and unfortunately with a weak singer and production because otherwise it was probably their best fusion of aggressive metal with classical elements. Lead guitarist also plays the flute on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD97C2tXXw (not the best representation for the album; the rest has more classical stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1_pRuV1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHBoAQ5YfQM


Are you kidding? That first track just blew my mind. Perfect! progressive, thrashy, classical, technical and awesome. Thank you. I will enjoy this for a long time. Listening to the others now.

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 am 
 

Megadeth wrote:
Haggard



I like it, very nice contrast in this song

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 am 
 

hailmarduk666 wrote:
I didn't see the mentioning of "Winds" from Norway. It features Hellhammer (Mayhem, Shining, Emperor, etc.), and is extremely classical in the riffing, and has pretty excellent clean vocals. The album "The Imaginary Direction of Time" is a fantastic record. Definitely worth the look.


Yes. The first one I listened to is Winds - Time Without End, just beautiful. Thank you.

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 am 
 

Anyone more out there? great stuff so far

I'm curious to hear some Baroque influenced metal in particular :)

Top
 Profile  
XcKyle93
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04 pm
Posts: 297
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm 
 

"Something Wild" and "Hatebreeder" by Children of Bodom can be considered neo-classical metal albums, along with any other tags you want to put on 'em. Follow the Reaper also has a few songs in a similar vein, such as "Kissing the Shadows."

Very early In Flames, i.e. the albums "Lunar Strain" and "Subterranean" have an undeniable classical influence in the lead guitar. Hell, most of Jesper's melodies sound pretty Baroque. Check out "Stand Ablaze" off of "Subterranean" to see what I mean.



This is probably not what you're looking for, but John Zwetsloot of early Dissection was very fond of the classical guitar. I don't think anything off of "The Somberlain" is what you're looking for, but perhaps try Cardinal Sin with their sole EP "Spiteful Intents."
_________________
narsilianshard wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:
The Red in the Sky is Ours and select songs off With Fear... is the compositional height of death metal, if not all of metal. Better than ten Super Bowls.


Ah yes, the death metal phenomenon that is the Super Bowl.

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 am 
 

This is almost a classical piece played in a metal fashion:



Another one from Arcturus

_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
AzamatBagatov
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 63
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am 
 

Nachtreich is more classical/neoclassical than metal but definitely have some metal influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1GQbTkLqs

Top
 Profile  
AmonAmath
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm 
 



No better band than Spawn Of Possession. Not very progressive or thrashy. Technical death metal, but not your standard type that just consists of insane riffs and solos played in odd tempos with random stops thrown in. This song in particular is a masterpiece in composition that would really hold its own beside classical composers. Too many bands (like Fleshgod Apocalypse) use orchestral instruments as a gimmick, almost as if they were composed entirely separately from the rest of the song. SoP integrate them perfectly, so much so that you often don't notice them despite being perfectly audible. Throughout the song, you'll notice counterpoint, harmonies, time sig changes, tempo changes, and some wonderful solos, not just technically, but compositionally. Fucking genius.

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm 
 

I'd be legitimately hard-pressed to think of a metal band more immediately classically influenced than Aquilus, who are just astonishingly beautiful, especially for a one-man band. If any of you are familiar with Melancolia, imagine them but with a more professional execution.

_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm 
 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I'd be legitimately hard-pressed to think of a metal band more immediately classically influenced than Aquilus, who are just astonishingly beautiful, especially for a one-man band. If any of you are familiar with Melancolia, imagine them but with a more professional execution.


That was pretty enjoyable for me, thanks!

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:20 pm 
 

AmonAmath wrote:



I did find that more enjoyable than other SoP songs i've heard. Still, a little too much for me in parts. I'm not a fan of too many death metal bands to be fair. It's not the voice, i like bands with harsh voices, it just doesn't have the same groove as some thrash or prog metal. Maybe my ears still aren't ready for it. Def an acquired taste.

Top
 Profile  
AmonAmath
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 am 
 

Baroque1 wrote:
I did find that more enjoyable than other SoP songs i've heard. Still, a little too much for me in parts. I'm not a fan of too many death metal bands to be fair. It's not the voice, i like bands with harsh voices, it just doesn't have the same groove as some thrash or prog metal. Maybe my ears still aren't ready for it. Def an acquired taste.

OH! On the off chance you still trust my judgement, maybe try Xerath. They aren't so much classically influenced as they just use classical instruments in their music pretty frequently. Progressive groove metal. They do chug a bit, but don't sound as thick as Meshuggah and generally sticking to a pattern. Harsh vocals. They've got some insane groove. Now that I think about it, they remind me of a cross between Symphony X and Meshuggah. Anyways, hope you enjoy this. If not, don't listen to anything other suggestions I have. Ever.

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm 
 

AmonAmath wrote:
Baroque1 wrote:
I did find that more enjoyable than other SoP songs i've heard. Still, a little too much for me in parts. I'm not a fan of too many death metal bands to be fair. It's not the voice, i like bands with harsh voices, it just doesn't have the same groove as some thrash or prog metal. Maybe my ears still aren't ready for it. Def an acquired taste.

OH! On the off chance you still trust my judgement, maybe try Xerath. They aren't so much classically influenced as they just use classical instruments in their music pretty frequently. Progressive groove metal. They do chug a bit, but don't sound as thick as Meshuggah and generally sticking to a pattern. Harsh vocals. They've got some insane groove. Now that I think about it, they remind me of a cross between Symphony X and Meshuggah. Anyways, hope you enjoy this. If not, don't listen to anything other suggestions I have. Ever.


Well I enjoyed that one a lot, so I'll definitely be listening to other suggestions from you. Haha. Don't get me wrong, the SoP song was a good suggestion, since I like classical influenced and technical. I like the first half of it or so, it was just, harsher than I'm used to. I need to grow into it. I like the Xerath song! I'll be checking out more of their stuff and probably buying that one. Thanks.

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm 
 

XcKyle93 wrote:
"Something Wild" and "Hatebreeder" by Children of Bodom can be considered neo-classical metal albums, along with any other tags you want to put on 'em. Follow the Reaper also has a few songs in a similar vein, such as "Kissing the Shadows."

Very early In Flames, i.e. the albums "Lunar Strain" and "Subterranean" have an undeniable classical influence in the lead guitar. Hell, most of Jesper's melodies sound pretty Baroque. Check out "Stand Ablaze" off of "Subterranean" to see what I mean.



This is probably not what you're looking for, but John Zwetsloot of early Dissection was very fond of the classical guitar. I don't think anything off of "The Somberlain" is what you're looking for, but perhaps try Cardinal Sin with their sole EP "Spiteful Intents."


I do hear the influences, and I'm surprised! I've only listened to somewhat more recent In Flames I guess, the album Colony, Cloud Connected, their new album etc. I wish they had more of this style mixed in on their recent tracks. Colony was a good album though.

Top
 Profile  
Baroque1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 pm 
 

Arcturus was interesting in parts, but, not really for me. Maybe a bit too simplistic on the classical parts for me. I'd check out more of their stuff though. I like the first one more of the two.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group