Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 am 
 

I mean, something that is really aggressive, brutal, but melodic at the same time. But not melodic in kinda "sweet" gothenburg way. Something kind of romantic, like Cryptopsy on Phobophile. Most of stuff on Blasphemy Made Flesh fits my description (Serial Messiah, Abigor, Open Face Surgery) and some stuff on None So Vile (Phobophile being the best example). I think that may be bad example, because people hate on Waking The Cadaver, but the slam in "Blood Splattered Satisfaction" is kind of melodic but brutal at the same time. Also, "Forever" by The Berzerker fits and probably some moments on new Cattle Decapitation. While none of these bands plays the stuff im looking for all the time, it would be nice if even just songs like "Phobophile" and "Forever" were recommended. It would be even better if someone recommended a band which does this consistently. Maybe ill finally find the answer.
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3187
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 am 
 

You'll like Vehemence. Check out their album God Was Created. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... eated/5820
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 457
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am 
 

Also try Kronos ,Lykahthea Aflame as well as Kartikeya.

Top
 Profile  
WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:30 pm 
 

I don't know if it quite fits what you're looking for, but I'd suggest checking out Marionette's debut album, Spite. It COULD be amongst what you concider "sweet", but I'm really not sure.
Maybe you'll find something there regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQokCPRHCHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcCgwXJ748
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGR7-MjyAUY

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2787
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm 
 

henkkjelle wrote:
You'll like Vehemence. Check out their album God Was Created. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... eated/5820


I thought of the same band as well!

OP, I'm not too sure but you could give the following bands a listen - Visceral Bleeding (more tech but still brutal) and Intestine Baalism (Jap death metal with melodies).

Top
 Profile  
Tired
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm 
 

Ancient Necropsy

Top
 Profile  
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm 
 

henkkjelle wrote:
You'll like Vehemence. Check out their album God Was Created. http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... eated/5820


Nice, thank you.

suleiman wrote:
Also try Kronos ,Lykahthea Aflame as well as Kartikeya.


Lykathea is too happy for me, Kronos is nice, and Kartikeya is kind of djenty (In terms of guitar tone, not parts, thankfully)

WolfieboyMachi wrote:
I don't know if it quite fits what you're looking for, but I'd suggest checking out Marionette's debut album, Spite. It COULD be amongst what you concider "sweet", but I'm really not sure.
Maybe you'll find something there regardless.


No thank you, i despise djent (Well its not djent but it does "djent"), and i cant get past the djenty parts.

shouvince wrote:
OP, I'm not too sure but you could give the following bands a listen - Visceral Bleeding (more tech but still brutal) and Intestine Baalism (Jap death metal with melodies).


Funny, Intestine Baalism inspired me to make this thread, its really good.

Visceral Bleeding doesnt fit my description, unfortunately.

Tired wrote:
Ancient Necropsy


Nice, good one.
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:12 pm 
 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
Lykathea is too happy for me

... :eek: I DON'T LIKE YOU :(


(but you might get a kick out of Cephalectomy and Blood of Christ so check them out)
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:20 pm 
 

MalignantThrone wrote:
DarkWolfXV wrote:
Lykathea is too happy for me

... :eek: I DON'T LIKE YOU :(


(but you might get a kick out of Cephalectomy and Blood of Christ so check them out)


So no hugs for me?
Ahh i didnt enjoy Blood of Christ and Cephalectomy either.
Tough shit.
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2787
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:35 pm 
 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
shouvince wrote:
OP, I'm not too sure but you could give the following bands a listen - Visceral Bleeding (more tech but still brutal) and Intestine Baalism (Jap death metal with melodies).

Funny, Intestine Baalism inspired me to make this thread, its really good.
Visceral Bleeding doesnt fit my description, unfortunately.

Ah, IB is a good band. Visceral would've been too technical I suppose. If I come across something, will let you know.

Also, I agree with Throney, Lykathea isn't a happy band. Sheesh. :)

Top
 Profile  
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:56 pm 
 

shouvince wrote:
Ah, IB is a good band. Visceral would've been too technical I suppose. If I come across something, will let you know.

Also, I agree with Throney, Lykathea isn't a happy band. Sheesh. :)


Well a lot of their riffs are in major so thats happy to me :-P
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:16 pm 
 

It's not that I think they're not a happy and cheesy-as-fuck band, it's just that I'm sworn to perceive people who dislike them as my mortal enemy. :lol:
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
6Xul66
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm
Posts: 443
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
 

Parasitized might be suited for what your looking for!

'Existence Unveiled' (Title Track):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGI_c_mhuos

'Beyond The Frontiers Of Pain':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUkqge75TU

Top
 Profile  
Scourge441
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 839
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm 
 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
Lykathea is too happy for me

Try Appalling Spawn, then. It's Lykathea Aflame before they became Lykathea Aflame.

Top
 Profile  
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 705
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:08 pm 
 

Kataklysm, Illdisposed and Lay Down Rotten come to mind
_________________
Machine Dead wrote:
HELLO, I AM MACHINE DEAD. I AM PLEASED TO BE IN CONTACT WITH YOUR ENTITIES. I AM ENJOYING THIS MUCH.
I MAKE TEH METULZ. YOU MAKE TEH METULZ. WE MAKE TEH METULZ TOGETHER

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 498
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:47 pm 
 

You should try Man Must Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZT7jFgXLk

Top
 Profile  
NARAKU666
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:11 am 
 

Deathevokation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mi9xktQaPo
_________________
LOLORDx wrote:
i love lady gaga. who cares if she has a penis, i want to fuck her brains out ALL NIGHT LONG


http://www.facebook.com/NARAKU666

Top
 Profile  
Ricin
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 104
Location: The Crown of Sidley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm 
 

Vornagar
Im not sure how many times I'll have to rec this band but if you like death metal of any kind (especially melodic) you should listen to Vornagar
_________________
We regained grace from our torn out eyes

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 498
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
 

Maybe not the brutality you're looking for, but certainly this DM band gives you some beautiful, sweet moments.

Lament http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6nO53zu40

Top
 Profile  
IanThrash
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 915
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 am 
 

Bloodshot Dawn. Not brutal, but relentless and heavy as fuck while being melodic and cool.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PMzd-xjos
_________________
Can´t touch this

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 457
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 am 
 

This band may not get it right 100 %, but they surely hit upon greatness more than once on their album :
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bar ... 3540355725

Top
 Profile  
ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 am 
 

From Oblivion might be what you're looking for. They have brutal death metal style vocals while their music is very melodic. Unfortunately the band is so unknown that I can't even post a Youtube link since there aren't any, but they are a very good band nevertheless. Here's their MA profile: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fro ... 3540277198

Top
 Profile  
HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 249
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm 
 

Dehydrated from Russia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Lj_5G4qyY
_________________
Thexhumed wrote:
dat beard

Top
 Profile  
DomDomMCMG
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 103
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 pm 
 

Aborted

Top
 Profile  
halfformedfetus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 420
Location: the Matrix
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:54 am 
 

I came here to say vehemence!! But someone jumped on that straght away! Good job, I would just like to add that god was created is a masterpeice, shame they split

Top
 Profile  
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:26 am 
 

Okay, so after almost a whole month i decided to check out everything you guys posted. So here we go:

6Xul66 wrote:
Parasitized might be suited for what your looking for!

'Existence Unveiled' (Title Track):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGI_c_mhuos

'Beyond The Frontiers Of Pain':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUkqge75TU


Didnt like the first track, the second one is better and kind of fits my description at times.

Scourge441 wrote:
DarkWolfXV wrote:
Lykathea is too happy for me

Try Appalling Spawn, then. It's Lykathea Aflame before they became Lykathea Aflame.


Yes, very good. Also revisited Lykathea and i like it more now :)

Machine_Dead wrote:
Kataklysm, Illdisposed and Lay Down Rotten come to mind


I didnt like Kataklysm, Illdisposed is great from what i have currently checked out, and Lay Down Rotten is decent, not too bad, not too good. All of these bands however lack the "brutal" factor and are pretty much melodeath.

Thexhumed wrote:


Pretty nice, but again, lacks the brutality im looking for.

NARAKU666 wrote:


I enjoyed, but ugh, once again, lacks brutality.

Ricin wrote:
Vornagar
Im not sure how many times I'll have to rec this band but if you like death metal of any kind (especially melodic) you should listen to Vornagar


Well, same problem as with previous. Melodic death metal is present, but not brutal death metal. You guys show me very well done stuff, but im looking for something else.

Thexhumed wrote:
Maybe not the brutality you're looking for, but certainly this DM band gives you some beautiful, sweet moments.

Lament http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6nO53zu40


Did not like, however its cool that some bass parts are audible.

IanThrash wrote:
Bloodshot Dawn. Not brutal, but relentless and heavy as fuck while being melodic and cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PMzd-xjos


Did like. However again, not brutal (as you stated yourself) but indeed heavy.

suleiman wrote:
This band may not get it right 100 %, but they surely hit upon greatness more than once on their album :
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bar ... 3540355725


Yes, indeed, its not all way melodic/brutal, but there are nice moments. Good one.

ShreddedHuman wrote:
From Oblivion might be what you're looking for. They have brutal death metal style vocals while their music is very melodic. Unfortunately the band is so unknown that I can't even post a Youtube link since there aren't any, but they are a very good band nevertheless. Here's their MA profile: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fro ... 3540277198


Found them on Reverbnation, from what i hear the music isnt very melodic, and isnt brutal either (vocals itself dont make a band brutal). Do not like.

HeWhoIsInTheWater wrote:


Cool, brutal, heavy, there is melody but not much of it, most of it in the later parts of the song.

DomDomMCMG wrote:
Aborted


Brutality is kind of there (its more of a technical wankfest than slamfest) and melody is not. Decent.

So, im a picky bitch, and i have found out that the thing im looking for is extremely rare, and Cryptopsy does it the best.
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Rowolta
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 29
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:53 am 
 

Pyorrhoea - The Eleventh: Thou Shalt Be My Slave

Fast Brutal Death with a PUNCH, lots of groovy melodies.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pyorrhoea/2160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpIAAwMtvAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB4Dtb3gC5M

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1241
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 am 
 

Akercocke and Anaal Nathrahk should be what you're looking for. Both are comparable with Lykathea Aflame, though neither are afflicted by any ray of hope nor happiness :-P
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Posts: 203
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
 

Nyaricus wrote:
Akercocke and Anaal Nathrahk should be what you're looking for. Both are comparable with Lykathea Aflame, though neither are afflicted by any ray of hope nor happiness :-P


I've already checked out Anaal Nathrakh, and i really love it. However i haven't checked out Akercocke yet, any specific albums or songs to check out?
_________________
https://lichmistress.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1241
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 pm 
 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
Akercocke and Anaal Nathrahk should be what you're looking for. Both are comparable with Lykathea Aflame, though neither are afflicted by any ray of hope nor happiness :-P


I've already checked out Anaal Nathrakh, and i really love it. However i haven't checked out Akercocke yet, any specific albums or songs to check out?

"Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone" is widely considered to be their greatest work, but their discography is good. It's quite raw early on and then the production soon catches up to the songwriting.

Ex-members of Akercocke also just released a new album under the band name Voices, may also be worth checking out, though I haven't heard it myself yet.
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
XcKyle93
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04 pm
Posts: 295
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:53 pm 
 

I got three albums for ya to listen to that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

1.) From Ashes by Abysmal Dawn
This is probably exactly what you're looking for. It's straight up death metal, pretty brutal, yet it can be pretty melodic at times. Also is a bit blackened at parts. The rest of Abysmal Dawn's discography is good as well I suppose, but this one has the right balance of brutality and melody. Their album Programmed to Consume is more brutal yet less melodic, and Leveling the Plane of Existence is more of a blackened death metal effort.

2.) Mystic Places of Dawn by Septicflesh
I guess you could call this atmospheric death metal, but if you don't mind something that's not very fast yet still brutal and melodic, take a listen to these guys.

3.) Oracle Moon by Garden of Shadows
This is really more of a melodic death metal album, but it utilizes brutal death metal vocals about 90% of the time. They're very deep, and there's a stark contrast (in a good way) between the brutality of the vocals and the beauty of the music. It also has a bit of a progressive flair as well. These guys cite 2.) as one of the album that influenced them the most.
_________________
narsilianshard wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:
The Red in the Sky is Ours and select songs off With Fear... is the compositional height of death metal, if not all of metal. Better than ten Super Bowls.


Ah yes, the death metal phenomenon that is the Super Bowl.

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm 
 

"Sworn Vengeance" by Severe Torture. My favourite death metal in the last decade, and it's brutal hut totally memorable. I'd tell you more, but I've already reviewed the album.

Top
 Profile  
IntoNevermore
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 pm
Posts: 982
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:39 pm 
 

Hopefully you find something here.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=84200

And you should try Vale of Pnath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-cfEZQ-25w
_________________
Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Soundcloud

Top
 Profile  
metaden
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:50 am
Posts: 29
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am 
 

Does melodic technical death count? If yes, arsis, bloodshot dawn might count.

Top
 Profile  
Syntek
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm
Posts: 618
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 pm 
 

I imagine what you are after is:

Abysmal Torment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGr20VVrZlU

Beneath (not explicitly melodic, but has a fair amount of melodic passages)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxvSiREgFk

Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajnYNAj70fE

Flesh Consumed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnnjuX1dhI

See if you dig any of those.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group