Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 252577
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 pm 

Does anyone know of any good bands that sing about Communism? I know of kypck, and panopticon but thats about it. Thanks.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am 

There's a thread on communist BM over in the metal discussion forum. Take a look there, though most of it is just people arguing.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96638

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:35 pm 

yahar wrote:
Does anyone know of any good bands that sing about Communism? I know of kypck, and panopticon but thats about it. Thanks.

Panopticon, the US band, isn't Communist. If you want bands that sign strictly about Communism I don't know how you'll fare. If you're looking for left leaning political bands there's a million, mostly in grindcore/punk/crust/heardcore realm of things (i can only assume this since you've included Panopticon in your request).

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

~Guest 252577
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 pm 

I included panopticon because anarchism and communism have a great deal in common. Mainly differing in how best to achieve their shared goal. I figured someone might suggest them though. Im familiar with a lot of left leaning material like you suggested. I wm looking more for bands who sing about the USSR or doom metal with communist themes. I should have been more clear. I think a doom band could pull it off well. Thanks though.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am 

Check out Soviet Invasion by Saint Vitus.

JAGEagent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:55 pm 

you mean by witchfinder general

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 am 

Anarchism and communism are not the same thing at all. It's not about different methods of getting to the same end, it's about what that end will actually look like. Classless society doesn't mean there won't be organization or various kinds of relationships between individuals and organizations, just that those relationships won't be based on unequal control of or access to the means and fruits of production. The anarchist conception of how such a society would be structured and what relationships would exist is vastly different from the communist conception. Don't go spreading around the misconception that they are the same!

Anyway, here are all bands on MA with communism in their lyrical themes without "anti" (as in "anti-communism" from the NS bands) and here are the two bands with communism in their lyrical themes that have anti in their lyrical themes as well (as in "anti-capitalism")

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... and_themes
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bolshevism/76934
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Street/3540318807

According to MA, this is it!

~Guest 252577
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 pm 

Anarcho-Communism? That has more in common with anarchism then does "anarcho-capitalism". Class means there will be no other privileged class ruling over, and exploiting other classes such as under capitalism with private ownership of capital etc.
Anarchists, and communists both want a stateless, classless workers society in which no one rules over the other. The difference is that communists view the state as a tool to be used in the transition of this. Anarchists want the state gone and non-hierarchical, decentralized means built and used in its place.
Here is a good article-http://www.marxist.com/meeting-lenin-kropotkin-bonc-brujevic1919.htm

Thanks for the links. Gonna check all these out.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 pm 

Any communist metal/punk (preferably with English subs at the very least) that is very much violent? Especially 'violence against the imperalists?' That's what I'm looking for.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm 

yahar wrote:
Anarchists, and communists both want a stateless, classless workers society in which no one rules over the other. The difference is that communists view the state as a tool to be used in the transition of this. Anarchists want the state gone and non-hierarchical, decentralized means built and used in its place.

That's what I mean. A classless society brought about by communist means will be very different from one brought about by anarchist means. Anarchists hold up decentralization and libertarianism, whereas communists hold up democratic centralism. They see these things as principles to be impressed upon future classless society. Any of those things could be a basis of organization of human and productive relationships within the framework of classless society, and they are not the same thing.

Could you ever imagine an anarchist avowing as principles statements like "The individual is subordinate to the organization, the minority is subordinate to the majority, the lower organs are subordinate to the higher organs" etc?

Reply to topic