Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 pm 

Exactly as the title says. Could you guys Recommend me black metal bands or songs with supernatural themes about things like vampires, werewolves, and ghosts? I'd want the sound to be very raw and old school like early darkthrone and eerie like cultes des ghoules. Thanks in advance guys!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 pm 

Old, vampires, raw. Keywords say: Mütiilation.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 pm 

Thanks, I have listened to some mutiilation but not much do I'll definitely give it a listen, best tracks to start with?

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 am 

Vampires of black imperial blood??

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Just checked it out, or should I say gave it a better listen and I fucking loved it, raw as hell. Keep it coming guys!

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 pm 

No other ideas guys?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm 

perhaps early Gehenna? Very synth driven second wave BM. On the first two albums you find songs like
"The Shivering Voice of the Ghost" or "A Witch Is Born". However they don't have that lyrical theme
exclusively and also use other themes in other songs.

Also obvious: Ulver's "Nattens madrigal - aatte hymne til ulven i manden" album. Raw BM with the
theme of "wolf in man" ( =werewolf) in the lyrics... So musically this should suit your taste way better
than the possibly too melodic/symphonic Gehenna...

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm 

Don't get me wrong I like melodic stuff too just more fond of raw, second wave inspired stuff or proto-black. And thanks btw, I loooove Nattens Madrigal but thanks for recommending it anyway. I'll definitely check out Gehenna though.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm 

If you liked "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood" you could check out "Gospel of the Horned One" by Countess. Also check Gnome's "Under the black moon" demo. These don't sound exactly the same, but I think you'll dig the basics.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 am 

Countess was total Bathory worship but still pretty awesome (originality is less on my radar than just plain sounding good) and I really don't understand the terrible reviews. Gnome was super fucking awesome dude, never heard of them but loved then right away, thanks! Also guys, I probably should have done this earlier but I also like ambient black metal/dark ambient/black ambient so any of those types of recs are much appreciated as well as the raw/proto-black I asked for to begin with. Thanks everyone, really glad I finally registered on this forum!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am 

I've never familiarised myself with these bands' themes closely, but Hirilorn (melodic stuff) and Tortorum (more aggressive, although newer band) have lyrical themes of supernatural things or magic.

Some of Horna's lyrics on Sanojesi Äärelle and Entvaagnas Elfos Solf Esgantaavne are about some kind of satanic mysticism or dark magical gnosis, but the lyrics are in Finnish.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am 

Thanks! I'll give them a listen when I get out of class. Also I probably should have clarified more but I meant that I want lyrical themes about supernatural creatures I.e. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and other things like that more so than the pseudo-satanic mysticism type stuff but thanks for the recs anyone I' m down for any new black metal bands unless it's industrial black >.<

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 am 

Incidentally, I was listening to Aurora Borealis and doing some appropriate pointless net browsing about the band, and I came across this: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Les ... atus/19686

I haven't listened it though, so I can't comment on its quality in the slightest.

There's the polish band Werewolf. I've heard The Temple of Fullmoon, and it's fairly decent from what I remember. They, surprisingly, have lyrics about werewolves, but I've never really read them.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 am 

How about Old Forest's "Tales from the Sussex Weald". Excellent retro BM with lyrics entirely about English folklore; witches, monsters, ghosts, cryptids, devils, etc.

Reply to topic