Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 pm 

I'm not sure if this thread is allowed or not so mods can lock it if it's against the rules. Anyways, I've recently noticed that I lack music that comes from Mexico, and I want to find some stuff. You can recommend anything of any genre that's really good or standout but I kind of want some death metal. I want some death metal that has good production with good drum sounds like Bloodbath or Aeon. I don't like the, and I use stupid terms here, "angry frog" vocals that are present in goregrind and such which I have seen a lot of Mexican death metal bands use for some reason, and I don't like the drums that sound like they're being played on a bucket. Guitar work and such doesn't have to be too spectacular either. I'll also take suggestions for black metal that at least has decent production, slight rawness is ok, if you understand what that means. I'll also take suggestions for anything like I said earlier, but I kind of want to see a Blackgaze/Post-Black metal/hipster black metal/whatever from Mexico.

Since I don't want to make a second thread or something I'll also ask for some help with metalcore or something. I know this style may not be liked here but I want something similar to this style. It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine and this is really the only band I know in this style. Don't recommend something like Black Veil Brides or Bring me the Horizon because I've heard that shit before and I hated it. This can be from any country I don't care, you get bonus points if it's from Mexico I guess.

Ok, I don't know what to label this as, but I know I want stuff similar to it. Here's some samples. 1 2 3. I know this is pretty lame music but I kind of like it, though I do feel weird going from listening to obscure atmospheric black metal to something like this :oh shit:

Last edited by ~Guest 224282 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferturi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 am 

For quality mexican death metal, I'd recommend The Chasm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh8VLffA5Fk
I don't gat what's that "angry frog" voice you dislike (I think Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, but you may be talking about goregrind vocals).

I dunno about the metalcore rec, you should ask for that one on the metalcore help thread.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 am 

There is the Mexican groovy doom band Maligno: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Maligno/68315 Maligno - The Red Witch

Maligno bassist Marco Gil was in the Mexican death metal band Toxodeth: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Toxodeth/11572 although it appears he wasn't on any of their releases. I'm not familiar with their music, as I don't really like death metal, I just know them from their connection to Maligno. Maybe you'll enjoy them.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm 

Shub Niggurath, Denial and Cenotaph are all quality death metal from Mexico.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:35 pm 

Ferturi wrote:
I don't gat what's that "angry frog" voice you dislike (I think Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, but you may be talking about goregrind vocals).

I could have shown some examples, I mean stuff like this, it's what I don't want.

Also, like I said earlier I'm looking more or less for death metal but really anything good from Mexico is also welcome, shoegaze, indie rock, synthpop, black metal, whatever. Thanks for the current recommendations so far.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

To me, Seremedy sounds a little more on the Nu metal side of things. You might like In Flames' Soundtrack To Your Escape, and maybe some Marilyn Manson too.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:54 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
To me, Seremedy sounds a little more on the Nu metal side of things. You might like In Flames' Soundtrack To Your Escape, and maybe some Marilyn Manson too.

Well, I'm not that great at identifying genres, and since I never listen to nu metal or metalcore I can't really tell which is which. Oh, also, I guess this is kind of pretentious but I'd rather not get recommendations like Marilyn Manson, In Flames is decent, but I don't really like much of the popular nu metal/metalcore stuff, I've heard many of the well known ones and I didn't like them.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 am 

Nahh, that isn't pretentious, I'm much worse. I'm not a fan of Manson myself, something about Seremedy's verses just reminded me of him (I think the focus on drums rather than guitars and the high-ish vocals). I wish I could give you some more rec's but the only purely metalcore band I listen to is August Burns Red, and I'm sure that's not what you're looking for :-D

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 pm 

Ok, I don't know what to label this as, but I know I want stuff similar to it. Here's some samples. 1 2 3. I know this is pretty lame music but I kind of like it, though I do feel weird going from listening to obscure atmospheric black metal to something like this :oh shit:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:21 am 

Cenotaph, The Chasm, and Infinitum Obscure are all great death metal bands from Mexico.

Cenotaph's first two albums, "The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows" and "Riding Our Black Oceans" are my favorites, with the first being stronger.
The Chasm's "Deathcult for Eternity" and "Procession to the Infraworld" are very highly regarded, they're among the best.
Infinitum Obscure have two full lengths and an EP, check out all of it. The first one tends to be better liked, I think.

Pyphomgertum basically have two releases - the split with Dawn, and a full-length (two versions of it exist from different sessions). Check out both.

Morbosidad are a well-liked black/death band, if you're into the NWN/HHR type of that stuff, you'll like them.

These bands also shared quite a few members with other notable bands.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:49 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Cenotaph, The Chasm, and Infinitum Obscure are all great death metal bands from Mexico.

Cenotaph's first two albums, "The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows" and "Riding Our Black Oceans" are my favorites, with the first being stronger.
The Chasm's "Deathcult for Eternity" and "Procession to the Infraworld" are very highly regarded, they're among the best.
Infinitum Obscure have two full lengths and an EP, check out all of it. The first one tends to be better liked, I think.

Pyphomgertum basically have two releases - the split with Dawn, and a full-length (two versions of it exist from different sessions). Check out both.

Morbosidad are a well-liked black/death band, if you're into the NWN/HHR type of that stuff, you'll like them.

These bands also shared quite a few members with other notable bands.

Checked out Infinitum Obscure, bad ass shit, thanks broseph.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 am 

Being a mexican metalhead i can recommend you lesser knowns bands like:

The Arkitecht (Extreme Progressive Metal)
Lacrimacorpus Dissolvens (Ambient/Melodeath)
Warfield (Black Metal)
The Light Of Darkness (Death Metal)
Buried Dreams (Melodeath)
Raxas (Power Metal)
Muluc Pax (Groove Metal with prehispanic elements)
Arkhe (Technical Death Metal)
Acrania (Progressive Death Metal)
Maligno (Stoner/Doom Metal)
Alfa Eridano Akhernar (Black/Death Metal)
Evilheart (Black/Death Metal)

And the only Metalcore band i can remmend is Marionette from Sweden

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:45 am 

As far as your metalcore request goes, it's kind of a stretch, but Demon Hunter is similarly groove-oriented and prominently features clean vocals (baritone) in quite a few songs. However, they still play slightly heavier and with more distorted vocals.

Reply to topic