Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:20 pm 

Hello everybody!

Lately the weather has been... a bit moody...
Anyway, it's been raining a lot, with storms and thunder. I personally love it and I have to go through it as well.
Be it on the ferry or by bike, I have to really "endure" it. And I am looking for some metal to acompany me through those outside journeys.
I've really liked listening to this:

Youtube: show

(Careful, the one below is not metal! Listen at own risk)

And I know that glmoomy doom metal will be the first thing to mind, and by all means, suggest away, but think of any kind of song you would like to listen to.
I am always more than willing to try other stuff, maybe I find a song I really like! So basically, recommend me anything you'd listen to, wether it is (semi-) near to what I listen to or completely different!

Thanks a bunch in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:33 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... all/152206

Definitely Verdunkeln. Gloomy, drawn out atmospheric black metal equipped with rain and thunder effects at certain parts of this particular album. Hope you dig them if you don't know them. (I also hope you didn't post this band in your OP, as I can't see the YouTube links.)
Xlxlx wrote:
Guys, this is the same dude who thinks that Manowar is the best band ever and that Joey DeMaio is the savior of metal. You shouldn't take his opinions very seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:47 pm 

I can't be the only person who likes rainstorms and overcast skies, right? Getting rained on beats getting a horrible, blistering sunburn that oozes yellow shit... I burn very easily.

Anyway, when I am feeling gloomy and introspective, I listen to a lot of post-punk, dreampop and ambient. If you're open to any suggestions, I'd like to recommend Cocteau Twins as a good starting point. I would suggest the albums, Garlands and Victorialand in particular for rainy moods:

(Listening to this song in fall or winter while walking alone in the hours before dawn is pretty surreal, especially if you're out in the country where the surroundings feel even more isolated)

Regarding metal, I also like some newer French BM like Amesoeurs and Mortifera, but French BM in general often has a sad and gloomy sense of melody that I really like (thinking of Mutiilation). The same could be said of a lot of CW Productions bands like Furdidurke and Bilirubin.

Though I've recommended them about five times here in the past already, I also think Hybernoid's first couple of CD's make for really good "rainy day" albums.
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:54 am 

October Tide's legendary "Rain without end" seems to me the most obvious raccomandation! melodic doom/death awesomeness with some of the greatest melodies in the genre =)
Also lots of the earlier Katatonia relases and paradise lost's "icon" album give me the "rainy day" feel, so does Primordial's "The gathering wilderness" and Kayo dot's "Hubardo"

for a more stormy feeling i always listen Solstafir's "Kold", some songs on it bear a strong oppressive atmosphere, like the one you feel when facing the dark clouds of an approaching storm

There is also Bohren and the club of gore: their "sunset mission" album makes me imagine a late night city center with soft rain..sometimes i even listen to it with the site Rainymood open to enhance the atmosphere!

Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:24 pm 

Rain Upon the Impure by The Ruins of Beverast has that gloomy atmosphere while also sounding downright malevolent at times as if said storm wants you dead. Crank up the volume a little though.

trvekvlt666 wrote:
Why on this site are no Gorgoroth lyrics ? Is it a rule that says :"Nobody should add lyrics for Gorgoroth because they are trve kvlt !" ? Just asking...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:23 am 

my autumn soundtrack consists of Lake of Tears' "Forever Autumn" and a lot of Drudkh...
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:20 am 

Oh yeah, there is no better setting to listen to good music than a stormy day. Obviously a lot of post-rock and dream-pop stuff will do the trick: pick any album by G!YBE, Mogwai or Mazzy Star. Trip-hop's good too, see Portishead, Goldfrapp and Massive Attack. But that's pretty obvious. My favorite albums for dark and rainy times are:

Storm Corrosion - s/t (Not because of the name; music is more folk than anything. Very relaxing and nightmarish at the same time.)

Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason (heart achingly melancholic black metal)

Frederic Chopin - The Complete Nocturnes (thunderstorm of the heart in musical form.)

Philip Glass - Glassworks; Solo Piano

John Cage - In A Landscape

Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light (slow, bluesy, dark and introspective as hell.)

Swallow the Sun - Plague of the Butterflies (Lots of haunting, clean guitar parts that are like falling rain while the heavy death metal parts are the thunder and lightning. Emerald Forest and the Blackbird is another good'n.

Opeth - Damnation & Blackwater Park (For shame if you haven't heard these yet; the penultimate rainy day albums. The new one, Pale Communion, is good for this too.)

Herbie Mann - Stone Flute
Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
Enter the tunnel, emit no emotion, engaged with our hierarchy.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 pm 

In my opinion, this album is perfect for those monents:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Em ... iland/8905

Reply to topic