Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 pm 

I love concept albums about the sea, and I love lead accordion lines. Unfortunately, I haven't found a satisfactory combination of the two. Now when I say I want accordion, I'd like it to be a prominent feature of the band, Finsterforst for instance. I won't give a solid no to the accordion lines coming from a keyboard, but that's to by avoided. As far as the sea theme goes, I don't much care if it's just in the lyrics and album cover, or if they're using actual samples of waves and that kind of thing, as long as it's noticeable. I'll keep the specific genres pretty broad, since this is probably going to be a rather hard request.

So, the musical styles I'd like to hear are:
1) Melodic Death metal - I mostly enjoy Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium-ish stuff. And lets avoid Children of Bodom/Norther-type bands.
2) Melodic or Atmospheric Black metal - First and foremost, Agalloch and everything related to them (WITTR, October Falls, Dammerfarben). I also listen to Eïs from time to time.
3) Post-metal/rock - As long as it isn't too repetitive, I won't put many restrictions on this. I like everything from Les Discrets to Thy Catafalque to Explosions in the Sky.
4) Atmospheric Sludge metal - I love Mastodon's Crack the Skye and Ocoai, but not much else.

Any combination of the above genres would be fine as well. I suppose Progressive metal would be okay, but nothing too insane, I want the music to be atmospherically or melodically-driven. Touches of Neo-folk would be fine too, but not by itself. No Power metal vocals, and lets keep the production out of the "is-that-a-guitar-or-a-coffee-grinder?" realm.

Anyway, thanks in advance, and let me know if there are any questions.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:22 am 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87493&p=2007494&hilit=+pirate#p2007494

Are you a sailor or a pirate?

Not exactly maritime themed, but you'll like Asmegin if you don't know them; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA84ds3c ... re=related

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 am 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87493&p=2007494&hilit=+pirate#p2007494

Are you a sailor or a pirate?

Not exactly maritime themed, but you'll like Asmegin if you don't know them; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA84ds3c ... re=related

Ahahahahahaha you remember that? Yeah, although I found some great stuff with that last thread, it didn't satisfy my swashbuckling needs. Thought I would give it another shot with a broader range of genres. Anyway, I do already know of Asmegin, a great band and very close to what I'd like, but not quite.

Last edited by ClaymanOnFire on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm 

I'm sure this is too obvious, but here's Alestorm's Keelhauled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm 

Ahh yes, I am quite familiar with them. Fun band, but I've had a hard time getting into their latest album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I love concept albums about the sea, and I love lead accordion lines. Unfortunately, I haven't found a satisfactory combination of the two. Now when I say I want accordion, I'd like it to be a prominent feature of the band, Finsterforst for instance. I won't give a solid no to the accordion lines coming from a keyboard, but that's to by avoided. As far as the sea theme goes, I don't much care if it's just in the lyrics and album cover, or if they're using actual samples of waves and that kind of thing, as long as it's noticeable. I'll keep the specific genres pretty broad, since this is probably going to be a rather hard request.

So, the musical styles I'd like to hear are:
1) Melodic Death metal - I mostly enjoy Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium-ish stuff. And lets avoid Children of Bodom/Norther-type bands.
2) Melodic or Atmospheric Black metal - First and foremost, Agalloch and everything related to them (WITTR, October Falls, Dammerfarben). I also listen to Eïs from time to time.
3) Post-metal/rock - As long as it isn't too repetitive, I won't put many restrictions on this. I like everything from Les Discrets to Thy Catafalque to Explosions in the Sky.
4) Atmospheric Sludge metal - I love Mastodon's Crack the Skye and Ocoai, but not much else.

Any combination of the above genres would be fine as well. I suppose Progressive metal would be okay, but nothing too insane, I want the music to be atmospherically or melodically-driven. Touches of Neo-folk would be fine too, but not by itself. No Power metal vocals, and lets keep the production out of the "is-that-a-guitar-or-a-coffee-grinder?" realm.

Anyway, thanks in advance, and let me know if there are any questions.

You NEED to listen to Ilbeltz:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ilbeltz/8595
Enjoy!

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 pm 

This is the closest thing I can come up with...

WUTHERING HEIGHTS - The Mad Sailor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eblFOXlHDs

Snarf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm 

I know this isn't metal, but Mariner's Revenge Song by The Decemberists is definitely worth a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw61oITuts

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:02 pm 

Ooo, Ibeltz is really good, and I can't help but like that song by The Decemberists. Wuthering Heights was a tad too Power metal for me, though. Thanks for the rec's, I don't know why, but I just love the sound of the accordion when it isn't polka or that weird Mexican folk my neighbors like to play all the time :grumble:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:23 pm 

Uh I know a few Folk bands who use an accordion but that's probably not what your looking for.

Reply to topic