Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 pm 

I love my first wave of MDM. I know all the big Swedish bands like (early) In Flames, (early) Dark Tranquility and At The Gates etc but can you guys list a few more for me to check out?

Last edited by ProlificDreamer on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ff_triste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:49 am 

You might find interest in ''INTESTINE BAALISM''
Great Japanese melodic death metal.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:10 am 

A Canarous Quintet (Now known as This Ending)
Gates of Ishtar
Eucharist
Unanimated

Not forgetting, Carcass!

ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Not forgetting, Carcass!

Heartwork is a beast!

Thanks for the bands guys, will check them out!

Last edited by ProlificDreamer on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:13 am 

Eucharist - both albums
Hell, Amon Amarth are fucking brilliant!

droneriot
RETIRED

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 am 

I've heard people compare Centinex to At the Gates, perhaps they're something for you.
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 pm 

What about earlier than SotS. I prefer the sound ATG have going on With Fear... Any good recs for that?

I've already heard A Velvet Creation by Eucharist. I like it decently, but there's too much "melo", if you catch my drift.

I'd like bands that have that complex and obscure death metal riffing/song structures with splices of mournful melodicism and more complex counterpoint (not just harmonized leads).

kahuka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 pm 

Sentenced - North From Here

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
What about earlier than SotS. I prefer the sound ATG have going on With Fear... Any good recs for that?

I've already heard A Velvet Creation by Eucharist. I like it decently, but there's too much "melo", if you catch my drift.

I'd like bands that have that complex and obscure death metal riffing/song structures with splices of mournful melodicism and more complex counterpoint (not just harmonized leads).

Man, I feel your pain. I just can't find ANYTHING that compares to At The Gates first two full-lenghts. The closest I came by was Crystal Age's Far Beyond Divine Horizons. I'm also desperately looking for something like those fucking unique albuns.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:43 pm 

pestilent_god wrote:
The closest I came by was Crystal Age's Far Beyond Divine Horizons. I'm also desperately looking for something like those fucking unique albuns.

Funny you should mention Crystal Age, because when I mentioned them in a thread about early Melodic Death Metal, I was told that they are simply run of the mill normal Death Metal and not Melodic Death Metal at all. I simply laughed.

They are by definition everything that was good about the genre in the beginning, and imo they lay the early work of all others to waste. Shame they only released one terrific album and a demo.

Desultory's first two albums are good stuff as well and may feed the OPs need.

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:03 pm 

both Sacrilege(swe) albums

torment159
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 pm 

The Absence is kinda like Slaughter of The Soul check them out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVK4ix8OtOk

thepoopsmithmaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:19 am 

ff_triste wrote:
You might find interest in ''INTESTINE BAALISM''
Great Japanese melodic death metal.

Yeah, this is honestly a perfect example. If you want to here one of the most perfect Gothenburg style riffs in existence, then listen to the title track of "Banquet in the Darkness". It's honestly one of the most perfect guitar riffs that I've ever heard in my entire life.

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:28 am 

What about "Barren Earth", http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540294014

Last.fm

ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:29 am 

Last edited by ProlificDreamer on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 am 

Delta_Wing wrote:
pestilent_god wrote:
The closest I came by was Crystal Age's Far Beyond Divine Horizons. I'm also desperately looking for something like those fucking unique albuns.

Funny you should mention Crystal Age, because when I mentioned them in a thread about early Melodic Death Metal, I was told that they are simply run of the mill normal Death Metal and not Melodic Death Metal at all. I simply laughed.

They are by definition everything that was good about the genre in the beginning, and imo they lay the early work of all others to waste. Shame they only released one terrific album and a demo.

That's because it's only melodic in the sense of a description of the music. It's Just death metal with the odd melody, not melodeath.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 am 

check ou the rather unkknown Absurdus with their album "No heaven in sight". Great early melo-death with a kick-ass feel.
Also Ebony Tears (first two albums) could be what you are looking for.

click to visit my Deviantart-Page for some logo and shirt design work
(contact me if your band needs a new logo or anything design related)

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:41 pm 

ProlificDreamer wrote:
I love my first wave of MDM. Slaughter of the Soul has been my favourite album since I was brought into metal once upon a time. Of course I know all the big Swedish bands like (early) In Flames, (early) Dark Tranquility and At The Gates but can you guys list a few more for me to check out?

Insomnium

/thread

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 pm 

Disinterment's "Endless" is worth checking out http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5748

The CD is out of print so the band has put it up for download a few times as they have no intention of re-releasing it.

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:21 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Delta_Wing wrote:
pestilent_god wrote:

That's because it's only melodic in the sense of a description of the music. It's Just death metal with the odd melody, not melodeath.

I'm don't actually know too much about music, but I don't actually think that the firsts two ATG albuns are melodeath as well. They seem to be exactly like this - death metal with odd melodies. One might call it "melodic death metal" as a description, as said, but hardly as fitting the created sub-genre. But that won't stop me from calling them "melodic death metal", as I believe more in the description than on trying to make the band fit into a sub-genre.

ProlificDreamer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:03 pm 

Bump.

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:39 pm 

I always thought that World to Ashes had a pretty old-school MDM sound. You might enjoy that.
and the veil was rent
come brother partake
in the sacred remembrance

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm 

Are you familiar with Garden of Shadows? Oracle Moon is a milestone in melodic US death metal. Quality song writing from beginning to end with some stellar guitarwork and tasteful use of keyboards. Music is generally at mid-pace but tends to speed up in parts and also venture into doom territory at times. There's a couple of good reviews on this site that go further in depth about the album. PigfaceChristus's write-up in particular is a great read.

Souls Enshrouded Fire by Virginia's Witch-Hunt is another one I would recommend. Epic, melodic death metal with some black metal elements. Very Swedish-sounding and likely influenced by bands like Dawn, Vinterland, etc. This one doesn't seem to be very well known or easy to find these days but it's definitely worth tracking down. It also sounds nothing like the band's previous material, which frankly was pretty bland, run-of-the-mill death metal. My main complaint about the album is that it's too short, most of the songs feel like they were cut off prematurely and could go on for another 2-4 minutes.

Violation - Beyond the Graves. This underrated German band with a very unoriginal (silly) name only released two albums, this one being their debut. Solid melodic DM with a killer guitar tone. Very little keyboards or filler riffs of any kind. The main vocalist's lows are as deep as the pits of hell. Peter Tägtgren of Hypocrisy produced it and did backing vocals on many of the songs. I wrote a review for this one a while back in the database, feel free to give it a read. Their second effort, Moonlight's Child is also good, just not as heavy and some of the riffs feel a bit watered-down in comparison to the debut.

The above albums were released between 1998 and 2000. Not sure if that falls under your definition of "first wave" or not, but you should check them out either way.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 am 

pestilent_god wrote:
I'm don't actually know too much about music, but I don't actually think that the firsts two ATG albuns are melodeath as well. They seem to be exactly like this - death metal with odd melodies. One might call it "melodic death metal" as a description, as said, but hardly as fitting the created sub-genre. But that won't stop me from calling them "melodic death metal", as I believe more in the description than on trying to make the band fit into a sub-genre.

they're not melodeath in the sense that they're not the 'typical' gothenburg sound that became so prevalent later with slaughter of the soul.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:40 am 

droneriot wrote:
I've heard people compare Centinex to At the Gates, perhaps they're something for you.

never got into them, but "A War Symphony" is awesome.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:43 am 

Animicantus wrote:
Insomnium

/thread

you proclaimed the close of the thread without mentioning Edge of Sanity and Dan Swano? for shame!

also,

Lost Dreams
Hypocrisy
(old) Opeth
(old) Eternal Tears of Sorrow
(old) Norther

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:34 pm 

Have to mention December Flower, very old-school melodic death.

Other great bands from the 90's:
Decameron
Dismember's Massive Killing Capacity
Carcass Heartwork
Cardinal Sin
Unanimated
The Moaning
A Canorous Quintet

Ricin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:57 am 

Interesting that people mention Eucharist and Gates of Ishtar along with At The Gates and In Flames as I see them in almost different categories

For once I think I cant actually recommend Vornagar, but you might like Manufacturers Pride, although they sound very Finnish rather than Swedish (because they are from Finland)

Reply to topic