Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:24 pm 

This is a non-metal recommendation thread, but since I don't visit any more knowledgeable & active music communities I will try here. I am looking for any dark dirge-like country or americana without any gothic or metal elements (No Fields of the Nephilim). If you want some examples check out these albums at bandcamp, only 2 bands really, I need more!

Black Oak Hymnal
http://blackoakhymnal.bandcamp.com/albu ... od-brother

Narrow Lake
http://blackoakhymnal.bandcamp.com/albu ... d-in-death

Roselit Bone
http://roselitbone.bandcamp.com/album/l ... ocial-club

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 pm 

I can recommend Across Tundras. I haven't heard all their stuff but I know they have metal elements in their songs, but this album by them is acoustic as far as I can remember. Still, a quality act all around.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:49 pm 

I didn't realize that Across Tundras made an acoustic album like that, that said it sounds like more like metal musicians trying their hand at another style than someone that is more involved in that kind of music like my examples. Thanks for the suggestion!

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:03 am 

There's a guy doing online compilations with this kind of stuff, I'm on my phone right now, but just search "death roots syndicate", you should find his bandcamp.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:13 am 

Cool, that should keep me busy for a while.

http://deathrootssyndicate.bandcamp.com ... -syndicate

Numerator_41
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:16 pm 

Not really country, but Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska is probably in the ballpark of what you're after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iir_xAbt-ak

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:59 pm 

No, not really, the music and vocal delivery seems so plain, I'd rather listen to John Cale, not that he would fit in this thread either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGPC-ZKrrtY

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:27 am 

Nochielo wrote:
I can recommend Across Tundras. I haven't heard all their stuff but I know they have metal elements in their songs, but this album by them is acoustic as far as I can remember. Still, a quality act all around.

Across Tundras is legit. Such a quality band. I've yet to check out that album though.

I'd recommend the followings:

Sons of Perdition. Has that dirgy atmosphere you're seeking.

Creech Holler. Sublime and catchy doom-country.

Scott Kelly's (Neurosis) Americana/folk/country project.

Check out Steve Von Till's project as well.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:05 pm 

I found Sons of Peredition a few days ago, this album sounded the best so far, but it ends up sounding sparse instead of dismal and silly instead of gruesome. The other two didn't really do much for me either, so far the best in this thread is Whitfield Fahrenheit from that Death Roots Syndicate comp, but unfortunately seems only two songs... Black Claw also seems pretty cool and Joel Kaiser can also make good songs, but his albums seem inconsistent...

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:04 am 

I haven't the bands you included in the OP but there's no mentions of 16 Horsepower and Wovenhand yet? SHAME ON YOU GUYS! Great alternative dark country/folk with various influences.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 am 

Wovenhand sounds kind of cool, they don't really have the outright doomed feeling a band like Roselit Bone has and seem to be more into the rock and roll aesthetics.

You should also try that Black Oak Hymnal album and the Whitfield Fahrenheit tracks in my previous post.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:51 am 

^ Roselit Bone kinda sounds like a faster paced Those Poor Bastards. Pretty cool. But you mentioned primarily that you don't want any gothic edged sound and you want a dirgy pace.

Metantoine wrote:
no mentions of 16 Horsepower and Wovenhand yet?

I don't think Eugene Edwards' projects are necessarily dark country/death country but great nonetheless.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:15 am 

I don't consider them gothic, bandcamp tags are sometimes over broad to attract listeners from other genres. Listen to the other songs on their new album or the live demo I linked in the op, most of their songs are pretty dirge like and also slower. Good number of Black Oak Hymnal songs are like that too, such as this song. I said no gothic to avoid stuff that sounds like Sisters of Mercy or Fields of the Nephilim. Any doomy or dirge like songs are welcome, don't think about how fast the song is, but the feeling it gives.

Those Poor Bastards sound cool, I might listen to them sometimes, but they're too theatrical and melodramatic for what this thread is going after.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 am 

You might want to give Pinebox Serenade a try. They avoid that overtly theatrical or melodramatic cliche but doesn't sound overtly dark either, somewhat melancholic. Very few songs are available on youtube. Here, check the followings out:

Last.fm

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 pm 

Just bumping this for the sake of saying thanks to the OP. Fell in love with Roselit Bone and just received just about everything I could order from their bandcamp. Great stuff!

Reply to topic