Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 pm 

Hi there guys, first post on the forum. I posted because I have been desperately looking for music to match my tastes. I'm looking for metal with non-distorted clean vocals. A contrast between screaming and clean is an absolute must; Not brutal enough for me otherwise. For screaming I prefer deep growling to yelling. Also, the clean singer needs to have a deep-ish voice. I can't stand those whiny metalcore bands. I think its hard for me to totally describe to you guys what i'm looking for, so I will provide links.

Exhibit A

Notice the chill/clean intro. I LOVE this in songs. The type of singing you hear is absolutely perfect and the transition to growls is perfect. Also note the chorus. This is my favorite song.
The growls are perfect, the type you hear is what I like best. Guitar riffs like the intro are my favorite.

Exhibit B

Notice the similar clean singing and melodic singing, also contrasting perfectly with the yelling. Notice the guitar riffs and techo-ish background noise. I like this alot. A clean chorus is a must!

Exhibit C

Notice the growling here, these are absolutely perfect, also the similarly clean chorus with excellent melody.

Hope this helped and thanks in advance for helping me out. Here are some bands I already listen to so you can get a better idea of my interests and so you don't suggest any bands i've already heard.

My Bands (ordered starting with best):
Scar Symmetry
Soilwork
Solution .45
Killswitch Engage
Disarmonia Mundi
Trivium
Persefone (they have 1 or 2 songs I like.)

Again, thank you in advance! :) look forward to recommendations. Also, Christian Alvestam is god.

That is all.

Update: When I say no distortion, I mean no putting the guys voice on a wild synthesizer ride, I prefer soaring singing melodies.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 pm 

Assuming you're not trolling the shit out of the forum then listen to Dark Tranquillity's Projector.

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 pm 

I second DT's Projector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibacSxoE2Ik
I would also recommend Into Eternity- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wizZ1bBbi7g
And Early Shadows Fall- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkMLkC7Jlc

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:31 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Assuming you're not trolling the shit out of the forum then listen to Dark Tranquillity's Projector.

no trolling here sir. Genuinely interested. will listen to your recommendation

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I second DT's Projector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibacSxoE2Ik
I would also recommend Into Eternity- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wizZ1bBbi7g
And Early Shadows Fall- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkMLkC7Jlc

thoughts -

Projecter: was a very accurate recommendation. It was a good album. What I didn't enjoy was I found that the singers voice was a bit too low and it had a very monotone feel to it. Otherwise was a great album but I am looking for something different.

Into Eternity: I remember hearing this band before. Power metal vocalist in a death metal band, interesting combo, but yet again the voice pitch is off. This time I find the guys voice a bit on the light side. I liked the melodies though, I believe the song you linked was their best one.

Shadows Fall: I thought it was okay. Listened to the album. Most of it was unclean vocals, they were okay. Not what I was looking for. Needs a higher amount of cleans.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:14 pm 

Ok then that's more to go on. Try this, but listen to the whole album, don't just skim it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQHepR ... cXAI2QJA8S

Crick wrote:

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Ok then that's more to go on. Try this, but listen to the whole album, don't just skim it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQHepR ... cXAI2QJA8S

Thoughts: Listened to the whole album. Didn't like the vocalist, sounded kind of dried up and old. But the growls were PERFECT! One song stood out to me. Powertool is AMAZING! I have never, ever heard such a good female vocalist. That song was glorious, the rest didn't stand out to me much. Good stuff, getting closer to hitting the nail on the head.

Also: Guitars were spot on perfect! The vocalist aint THAT bad. Don't be disheartened, he's good. Im just very picky! But I'll probably end up buying this album one way or another. The songs were just too good to pass up, ignoring the slightly old sounding vocalist.

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 am 

Well, assuming you're talking about the cleans, he is an old man at least now. It's Eric Hawk from Artch on the other two cds the normal singer handles all the vocal duties.

Crick wrote:

Rompestromper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:03 am 

You might really enjoy this? Aion-6 - Perfect Grey: http://metalism.bandcamp.com/album/perfect-grey
Also Solerrain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksVkqMGl5NE

I am not really familiar with the bands in your list (only last 3) because I find them too soft (from what I heard) but I hope these do match your description

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:21 am 

Satariel - Phobos and Deimos
Has both Messiah Marcolin and the regular singer doing cleans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-v1Rj5ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCrin3dIHqc

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:29 pm 

I got an album full of "The Windswept Mercy" kind of atmosphere for you: The Human Connection by Chaos Divine. It's a little prog and avoids the generic harsh verse - clean chorus formula (cleans dominant), but there's a good chance you'll like it.

Then there's MyGrain from Finland. Kinda like Soilwork but I think they're better these days ;)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 pm 

To me it'd sound like you'd be really into Dan Swanö but I wouldn't outright recommend something like, say, Witherscape, if only because it isn't rollicking melodic death like the ones in the OP. Crimson II would fit better but the cleans aren't as abundant. Riffing is different, as well. The clean parts in that SS song in the OP sounds super close to Swanö's Nightingale, which is progressive metal / rock.

Mercenary sounds close though there are a couple differing traits. Maybe give 11 Dreams a try? I personally think the album's quite boring but you may dig it. The Hours that Remain (the another Mercenary album), is another option that may be better.

One that's a little off the beaten path but borders what you're talking about is Black Sun Aeon. It's melodic death / doom but it gets the point across in a slower fashion. There may be those that disagree since it isn't the same sprite of modern melodic death with lots of ooomph and pomp. Sit with it and there should be a payoff, just know that it won't be as fast.
Good band but in consideration it's just a different rec altogether.

That Chaos Divine song was phenomenal. What a voice... although now that I've sat with it, it's quite similar to LOTS of modern rock bands.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:43 am 

Thoughts:

Opus's recommendation - Listened to both songs by Satariel, I didnt like the cleans. They were a bit too deep and the singing wasnt very melodic. It was a bit drab. Decent recommendation though, I have come across Satariel in my long quest for music, they were never my thing.

Blizk's recommendation - I quite liked this one, although I didnt care for MyGrain (The guys voice was on a wild synthesizer ride) I actually really liked Chaos Divine. Despite the prog influence and obvious dominance of cleans over harsh, it was actually really really good. Will check out more of that album.

OzzyApu - I am very familiar with Dan Swano. His voice is godly beyond definition, yet his work fails to interest me. Crimson II was garbage to me except for one song (The Aftermath). Im just not into Progressive Metal. I dont like Nightingale, its all cleans :/. very good recommendation though, Dan Swano truly deserves recognition. I never liked Mercenary, their vocalist lacks talent to me, very obvious choice for a recommendation though since they use cleans.

Good recommendations guys!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:35 am 

Hmmm not sure if am I am going to start a storm with this, but have you listen to wintersun? They do a lot of harsh and cleans. The vocals aren't too deep but not too power metaly.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:13 am 

scarsymmetry666 wrote:
although I didnt care for MyGrain (The guys voice was on a wild synthesizer ride)

Sure, for 15 seconds. You'll miss out on a lot of good stuff if you're nitpicking on every band like that, he's an awesome vocalist. Not asking you to listen to an entire song, but the refrain/outro section starting at 5:03

Glad you liked Chaos Divine though :)

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:42 pm 

Blizk - Sorry if it seemed like I was nitpicking Blizk. I liked Chaos Divine, but I could simply not get into MyGrain. The musicianship is nice, much credit for the recommendation, I had actually heard about them previously. They are a little too progressive for my tastes. Im not a fan of the guys voice. He sounds like an untalented version of Soilworks Bjorn Strid. Its clear that the bands focus is not having him sing cleans. Still your recommendation is very much appreciated. I guess its all a matter of a opinion eh? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you have any more please let me know :).

Maidenpriestmanic - Do you have any specifc songs/album to recommend? I looked them up briefly and heard some samples. Some of their songs are about 10 minutes long, ive had previous experiences with Wintersun I think and I quite liked them. Not sure which one of their songs/albums has what I like.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:04 pm 

scarsymmetry666 wrote:
Blizk - Sorry if it seemed like I was nitpicking Blizk. I liked Chaos Divine, but I could simply not get into MyGrain. The musicianship is nice, much credit for the recommendation, I had actually heard about them previously. They are a little too progressive for my tastes. Im not a fan of the guys voice. He sounds like an untalented version of Soilworks Bjorn Strid. Its clear that the bands focus is not having him sing cleans. Still your recommendation is very much appreciated. I guess its all a matter of a opinion eh? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you have any more please let me know :).

Maidenpriestmanic - Do you have any specifc songs/album to recommend? I looked them up briefly and heard some samples. Some of their songs are about 10 minutes long, ive had previous experiences with hI think and I quite liked them. Not sure which one of their songs/albums has what I like.

Yes I do, Battle against time is really https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... dio&page=2
Also would really recommend starchild, though for some reason can't find it on youtube which is really would but never had that issue due to owning the album.

deadweight2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:41 am 

How would you feel about an all-instrumental band (with no vocals)? If you're asking for a band with cleans because you don't like the harsh growls, it might be worth a try. Here are my favorites in that genre:

Paul Wardingham
Soul Cycle
Ryashon

Maybe not what you are looking for -- if so, that's fine.

deadweight2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:05 am 

Well, some others you could try out:

James LaBrie's Static Impulse. OK, it's not melodeath, but it has some elements that might appeal to a melodeath fan. It's almost entirely cleans, and he has a fantastic voice. I found I had to listen to it several times, but it really grew on me. But skip Elements of Persuasion; I found it lame.

Noumena might be right up your alley -- e.g., Anatomy of Life. It relies heavily on clean female vocals, with some growls for variety. Extremely well executed.

Decode the Design's Chaos Lanes EP might be worth a try. It has a mixture of cleans and growls, but you might like the cleans, and the title song is simply brilliant.

Out in left field: have you tried Godgory? They have a fascinating atmosphere. They are not standard Gothenburg-style melodeath. The vocals aren't clean, exactly, but they're not your usual melodeath growls, either.

Raintime probably won't appeal, but I'll mention it for completeness. They are a mixture of melodeath and power metal, with a mixture of growls and clean vocals. Unfortunately, I suspect the ratio of growls-to-cleans will probably be too high for your taste, based on your previous comments. Start with Tales from Sadness or Flies & Lies.

There's some Japanese melodeath-type-stuff I've listened to with clean female singers. Personally, I didn't like it so I immediately threw it away, but you could search for Japanese melodeath and I bet you'll turn up a bunch of bands. (For instance, there's Blood Stain Child's Epsilon, though that has a mix of cleans and growls.)

By the way, how certain are you that you want melodeath? Have you listened to Machinae Supremacy?

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 am 

deadweight2 wrote:
Noumena might be right up your alley -- e.g., Anatomy of Life. It relies heavily on clean female vocals, with some growls for variety. Extremely well executed.

Noumena is a good rec indeed, but Absence is their best record (more male cleans instead of female). Articulation on the deep growls is not the best though.

Ricin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 pm 

Manufacturers Pride are basically a more evil sounding Scar Symmetry, and exemplary for a band that almost no one has heard of
open in youtube for the rest of the album

ironmaidens_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 am 

How about Some Chaos Injected

WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm 

My first thought would be Rise To Fall. If you like Disarmonia Mundi, then you will most certainly enjoy this band. They sound almost identical.

Roland-era Sonic Syndicate. I.e. the Only Inhuman and Love And Other Disasters albums.
The harsh vocals aren't really deep, but they're usually not particularly high. They stay in a comfortable mid range most of the time.

Deceptic. Swedish band who just released their first album. Very Soilwork-esque. The harsh vocals are a bit on the high side, though, so I don't know how much it will do for you. But if you can handle Soilwork, then I think you should be able to handle it pretty well.

dEMOTIONAL. Once again, the harsh vocals are a bit on the high side (though remniscent of those in Disarmonia Mundi, imo), but this band is, in my personal opinion, one of the best bands out there in terms of making the interplay between harsh vocals and clean vocals sound awesome.

If you're cool with female cleans and some occational Trance influence, check out the stuff with Blood Stain Child's newest singer.
They're also produced by Ettore Rigotti of Disarmonia Mundi, if I'm not mistaken.

If you're cool with russian lyrics, try Deadheaven.

If you're cool with music that is a bit more metalcore in terms of songwriting, but with really enjoyable (imo.) clean vocals, then give Ravenface a peep too.

And I suppose that's enough for now. Let me know if you liked any of them.

Uncle Slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:57 pm 

Try this on for size \m/

https://soundcloud.com/lets-kill-uncle/memento

ironmaidens_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:00 am 

Here is Code for Silence

scarsymmetry666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 am 

Hello again guys! Its been a while since I posted this and I thank you all so much for keeping this thread alive and providing me with great material. Since I got so many responses, expect a pretty long list. I will segment them based on your username.

deadweight2: Thanks for your suggestion, but ive tryed all instrumental bands and they are just not my thing. I love a goodguitar/drums/bass/keyboard, but I really like that cherry to top it all off (vocals).
I was unable to find Chaos Lanes or Static Impulse on Google Play, perhaps link them to me? I listened to Noumena, in my opinion they arent anything phenomenal and are pretty average but it is a reasonable suggestion. I much perfer Deadlock (look them up). I have listened to Raintime and am not a huge fan of their sound, its too power metal for my tastes. Their cover of Beat It was interesting though hehe.

Ricin: Interesting suggestion. An "Evil" Scar Symmetry eh? Well I am not a fan of the vocals sadly. Good try though, their instrumental and growling is not bad.

ironmaidens_666: I liked Chaos Injection. Definitely a cool band. The growling and instrumentals are very very good. Nailed it there. Their clean vocals are also extremely unique. Very nice, the vocalist is good. For sure checking more of this band out. As for Code Of Silence, I wasnt a huge fan, growls are okay. The clean vocals are unique and dont sound bad, there just isnt enough of it. All in all, I will still check them out.

WolfieBoyMachi: Where do I start.. PHENOMENAL suggestions. You sir deserve a medal. Hit the nail on the head harder than anyone here. Brilliant recommendations. Rise To Fall is phenomenal. Amazing vocals. Im suprised ive not heard of them already. Sonic Syndicate is a band I already listen to, I agree that those two albums are their best. I love their stuff. Probably the closest to metalcore that I will deal with. I wasnt a huge fan of Deceptic, their harsh vocals really killed it for me. Sounded kind of gross. Demotional was interesting, very good interplay of Techno and vocals. Wow it was a trip. Will for sure check out more of them. Blood Stain Child didnt capture my interest. I heard them before and they just dont stand out to me. Deadheaven... wow. Probably the best use of guitars I have heard. Really. Their guitar is phenomenal, and their vocals are perfect. They are amazing. Excellent recommendation. Ravenface is too metalcore.

Thank you all for these thoughful recommendations!! \m/
Thank you for helping a fellow metalhead broaden his horizon.
Im always open for more. If so, feel free.

ironmaidens_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 am 

Here is another lot for your consideration

Uncle Slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:29 pm 

Seee how you go with these ones

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:41 am 

While Enslaved are good, they don't belong in this thread :)

Uncle Slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

Agreed, but if we're talking clean and growls you cant go past them IMO.

But yes, not Melodeath

Rompestromper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 am 

Midnight Realm is a great band from the UK with cleans, unfortunately not too much material out yet

Reply to topic