Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:20 pm 

So there are only a few blackened doom bands out there I know of, mainly Faustcoven, Hooded Priest and this one other band who's name is slipping my mind, but what examples are there of blackened sludge bands?

Like, I know people will probably bring up a band like Goatwhore, but I honestly don't think they are sludgy enough or black enough.

I'm really thinking something that has a way of mixing COMPLEX black metal riffs like those of Inquisition or Emperor at their most technical with low-fi sludge ala EyehateGod or Buzzoven.

Is there anything out there like this?

Stuff that is at once not just raw black metal but ATMOSPHERIC and at times even SYMPHONIC black metal that also mixes with low fi bluesy stoner type sludge that has a lot of feedback and "dirty southern" style crust-influenced grungy sound shit??

The kinds of band which at one moment you'd think came straight out of mid 90s Norway and the next you'd think was straight out of New Orleans??

Something at once both MORE epic, symphonic and atmospheric than Goathwhore and also sludgier and bluesier?

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 am 

I am not sure if this will be what you're after but when I think of Blackened Sludge I tend to think of these bands:

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind (but I love everything they do)
Lord Mantis - Death Mask & Nice Teeth Whore EP (one of my favourite bands so once again love everything)
Wolvhammer - The Obsidian Plains
Coffinworm - IV.I.VII (Great Bringer of Night is also pretty good)
Crypt Lurker - Baneful Magic, Death Worship (their only release)
Cult of Occult - Hic Est Domus Diaboli (Five Degrees of Insanity is great aswell)
Downfall of Gaia - Atrophy & Aeon Unveil the Thrones...
Eibon - Eibon EP
Forn - The Departure of Consciousness & Weltschmerz (also their demo and 7" split they did is good)
Hope Drone - Cloak of Ash (although their self titled EP is amazing too)
Regarde Les Hommes Tomber - both albums are fantastic: Self Titled & Exile
The Body (some of their work) - collaboration with Krieg, No One Deserves Happiness is great aswell as All The Waters Of Earth Turn To Blood
Thou (to a certain extent) - Tyrant, Heathen, Baton Rouge EP
The Lions Daughter - Existence Is Horror
Not so much sludge but quite 'groovy/bluesy' (in my mind at least) is Vyrju's EP - Black

I know MA hates lists but I will explain why I chose the bands. I believe all of these combine elements of black metal and sludge (also doom a bit) I hope you find some stuff you enjoy. Obviously some bands are blacker than others (Cult of Occult, Dragged Into Sunlight) or more sludgy than others (Thou) so I've recommended one or two releases that I think best showcase the band. Please feel free to message me, I used to be the vocalist of Eastern Front but have left and am starting a sludge/BM band...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:02 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38296
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.