Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:35 pm 

Anyone know where one might be able to have a listen to Fungoid Stream's Celaenus Fragments? Barely any of it is on YouTube and I can't find a Bandcamp or any other online resources.... :(

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:44 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Anyone know where one might be able to have a listen to Fungoid Stream's Celaenus Fragments? Barely any of it is on YouTube and I can't find a Bandcamp or any other online resources.... :(

Try Grooveshark, the whole album is available for streaming there. ;)

I have a request, of folly most likely due to its specificity... Anyway, I'm looking for recorded works that sound pretty much like these albums from the Peaceville Three:

a) As The Flower Withers
b) Lost Paradise
c) Pentecost III

Why a request of folly? Because I'm pretty sure that few (if any!) albums or EPs sound precisely like any of those three beasts. But hey, if it's 3/4 in for approximation then it's fair game. :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:28 pm 

Ah, sweet. :beer: Thanks. Grooveshark, huh? Not sure I've ever even heard of that before. These guys need to find some better ways to market their music, goddamn.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:44 pm 

I have to admit I'm not familiar with the other two, but 'As the Flower Withers' is fairly unique with the death/doom genre. I don't know if it's the raw production, or occasional full-on DM sections, or what, but no comparisons come immediately to mind. Unholy - 'From the Shadows' is maybe somewhere in the same ballpark, but has quite a different vibe to it.

Oh yeah, and I used to think Grooveshark was cool... Till I discovered Spotify... :lol:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

I actually found it after a quick googling. :p Curious little album though, I had never heard of that band before but it does have a very specific atmosphere that I can't say that I've heard elsewhere. I'll be checking them in more detail.

Unholy is a good example yeah, but I'm not very fond of their compositions. Never were actually. It's all too dreary and doesn't gel all too well with me. I've been going on strong on a ATFW/Trinity (first two EPs mainly, since I Am The Bloody Earth only has like one decent song) listening streak lately, and I also finally bought a first press of Lost Paradise a month back. Like you said, those albums are very particular in how they sound, and although they influenced a (whole) lot I can't seem to find many examples of bands replicating that specific sound.

Pentecost III is a strange affair as well. It sounds like doom/death most of the time, but it has more of an atmospheric doom vibe going on through it, as if it was a band in conflict with itself. The end result is tremendous though, and again it's a kind of sound I haven't heard replicated anywhere else.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:12 pm 

androdion wrote:
a) As The Flower Withers
b) Lost Paradise
c) Pentecost III

Those are great albums, and it took me a little bit of thinking to come up with these, so I hope at least one of these matches what you're thinking of.

a) Among Majestic Ruin by Morgion - Fairly straightforward death/doom with a medieval flair to it, alternates a bit between mourning slow parts and some aggressive death riffs. Has that sort of mysterious gothic atmosphere that As the Flower Withers has. The biggest differentiation between the two is the lack of violin on this album, but there is heavy usage of synths and pianos on the other songs

b) The Ending Quest by Gorement - Mostly a pure death metal album with some doom leanings. This album is perhaps a slight bit less nasty, but I feel a lot of similarities in the brooding lead harmonies. It's a great album nevertheless. Also because recommending something from Vallenfyre (or early-Amorphis) may have been too obvious. :-P

c) ...One Day Less by Before the Rain - The band worships the first two albums of Anathema. This particular song is considerably more straightforward than the other tracks on the album, but you can still pick up on the same formula as Pentecost III and Serenades; Darren White-style vocals, lots of mellow clean guitars, lovelorn sounding lead melodies, slow build-ups to heavy climactic sections, etc.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:23 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
androdion wrote:
a) As The Flower Withers
b) Lost Paradise
c) Pentecost III

Those are great albums, and it took me a little bit of thinking about to come up with these, so I hope at least one of these matches what you're thinking of.

a) Among Majestic Ruin by Morgion - Fairly straightforward death/doom with a medieval flair to it, alternates a bit between mourning slow parts and some aggressive death riffs. Has that sort of mysterious gothic atmosphere that As the Flower Withers has. The biggest differentiation between the two is the lack of violin on this album, but there is heavy usage of synths and pianos.

b) The Ending Quest by Gorement - Mostly a pure death metal album with some doom leanings. This album is perhaps a slight bit less nasty, but I feel a lot of similarities in the brooding lead harmonies. It's a great album nevertheless. Also because recommending something from Vallenfyre (or early-Amorphis) may have been too obvious. :-P

c) ...One Day Less by Before the Rain - The band worships the first two albums of Anathema. This particular song is considerably more straightforward than the other tracks on the album, but you can still pick up on the same formula as Pentecost III and Serenades; Darren White-style vocals, lots of mellow clean guitars, lovelorn sounding lead melodies, slow build-ups to heavy climactic sections, etc.

Thanks a lot for the effort mate! ;)

Morgion I know of, but I think I've only heard Solinari before. I'll be sure to check out the debut. Gorement I'm a big fan of, but good call on that one. And Before The Rain, well, I'm Portuguese. :D For real now, I've always found ...One Day Less to fade out in contrast to, for instance, Process Of Guilt's Renounce. It's a bit too "romantic" if you will, which was actually more or less the same reason why I didn't find Solinari all too interesting back then. Of course I can definitely hear the resemblance you speak of. Maybe I should revisit that album/band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:45 pm 

Also try Morgion's God of Disease & Death if you like more death oriented doom/death not far removed of Lost Paradise.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:03 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Also try Morgion's God of Disease & Death if you like more death oriented doom/death not far removed of Lost Paradise.

:thumbsup:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:06 pm 

Another band I just got reminded of is Decomposed. You'll probably dig them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hLHPKtirc

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:46 pm 

Yeah, I'm familiar with Decomposed as well. Thanks anyway. ;)

dragonzrmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 pm 

Hi
Looking for death-doom with gothic influences. Medium tempo, mostly clean vocals. I would like to hear violins and lots of melody. I like some songs to have quiet openings such as clean guitars and keyboards. Shreddy guitar solos would be great is possible, since I'm into some power metal aswell.

I'm aware of the Peaceville Three. I like My Dying Bride most. I also like Anathema's Serenades and The Silent Enigma, Sleepless and A Dying Wish being favorites. I've had trouble finding similar sounding bands.

Paradise Lost don't sound as good to me, they don't have as many tracks playing at once so there is less of an atmosphere.

Favorite bands include:
Katatonia (1999-2006 period, plus DEK)
My Dying Bride (A Line of Deathless Kings, A Map of All our Failures, Turn Loose The Swans)
Draconian (Didn't like A Rose For the Apocalypse, I can't explain why because I don't know. Everything else is good.)

I hope this is enough information for some recommendations? Thanks. :D

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:50 pm 

There are quite a few things you can try:

- Celestial Season's second album. Pretty cool stuff with violins and mostly clean vocals with a stoner vibe.

- Try Ashes You Leave, although I can't quite recommend a specific album in this case, as I've only heard the debut.

- Familiar with Theatre Of Tragedy? No?! Velvet Darkness They Fear. ;)

- Also give a listen to Bleak Silver Streams by Lethian Dreams. A bit more geared towards the "clean vocals" aspect of your request, but the atmosphere may suit what you're after.

dragonzrmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:46 pm 

androdion wrote:

- Celestial Season's second album. Pretty cool stuff with violins and mostly clean vocals with a stoner vibe.

- Try Ashes You Leave, although I can't quite recommend a specific album in this case, as I've only heard the debut.

- Also give a listen to Bleak Silver Streams by Lethian Dreams. A bit more geared towards the "clean vocals" aspect of your request, but the atmosphere may suit what you're after.

Thanks! \m/

I've already listened to Theatre of Tragedy. I'll spend some more time listening to the bands you listed, but Lethian Dreams stood out to me most of all, I like them.

If anyone else has recommendations they'd still be appreciated, otherwise I will be listening to Lethian Dreams now. :3

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 pm 

Maybe try early Lacrimas Profundere

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 pm 

How Like a Winter and Lord Grief

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:59 am 

dragonzrmetal wrote:
Hi
Looking for death-doom with gothic influences. Medium tempo, mostly clean vocals. I would like to hear violins and lots of melody. I like some songs to have quiet openings such as clean guitars and keyboards. Shreddy guitar solos would be great is possible, since I'm into some power metal as well.

Tales of Dark
Spoiler: show

Lycanthia

Helevorn

A Dream of Poe

As always, I have plenty more, if that's not enough or isn't pleasing to you. :p

Noctvn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrc4Exi ... e=youtu.be

Check out this atmospheric/gothic funeral doom act.

Devourgasm138
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:30 am 

ceiworus wrote:
Posted as a separate topic, but I'll post here, too.

Absolutely in love with bands like Dusk, Mythic, Coffins, Rippikoulu, Thorr's Hammer, Cianide, Sorrow, Indesinence, Winter, diSEMBOWELMENT, etc. Bands with that heavy, crushing rawness to them, while still maintaining their death metal qualities, and nothing that's too consistently slow the whole way through (that tends to bore me after awhile). I'm into the progressiveness/momentum of the 'death' and the hard breaks and heaviness of the 'doom', basically (duh).

I know of most of the classics in this genre but am just posting to see if I'm missing out on any bands that aren't as well known. New or old.

Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Check out Ceremonium, especially their Into the Autumn Shade EP.
The majority of metal fans are lovely patriotic beer drinking, gas-station working, Pantera-fearing citizens. Don't ruin this group by bringing in intellectual, open minded, spiritual or, God-forbid, friendly people.

TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:37 pm 

Evoken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOFLcQ1BE8

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:01 am 

dragonzrmetal wrote:
androdion wrote:

Thanks! \m/

I've already listened to Theatre of Tragedy. I'll spend some more time listening to the bands you listed, but Lethian Dreams stood out to me most of all, I like them.

If anyone else has recommendations they'd still be appreciated, otherwise I will be listening to Lethian Dreams now. :3

I would recommend early Lacrimas profundere , How like a Winter , The Foreshadowing

Ashes you Leave the first album is pretty good , very similar to MDB but with female front , they had the same violinist i think , after the first three albums they went pure gothic so I dont recommend those

as for Lethian Dreams I much prefer the demo Requiem for my Soul than the final Bleak Silver streams

Last edited by winteragain on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:14 am 

I´m looking for some heavier , riffy , good growling , death/doom for headbanguing purposes :D a " death/doomed " Pantera " , since most of what i hear is funeral and MDB similars and melodic.

this site and topic is great already found such great bands , so thanks a lot to everyone that contributes!

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:34 am 

TheCryptologist wrote:

Any death/doom or funeral doom fan who doesn't know Evoken is just... WTF? Like a thrash fan who doesn't know Slayer. :-P

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 am 

winteragain wrote:
I´m looking for some heavier , riffy , good growling , death/doom for headbanguing purposes :D a " death/doomed " Pantera " , since most of what i hear is funeral and MDB similars and melodic.

Here's a few suggestions to get you going. You may already be familiar with them, but my psychic powers are a little rusty.

Hooded Menace

Divine Eve

Cianide

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 am 

Hooded Menace, Divine Eve, Cianide... YES! A man after mine own heart! :thumbsup:

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 am 

winteragain wrote:

this site and topic is great already found such great bands , so thanks a lot to everyone that contributes!

I'm hoping you're already familiar with Asphyx, but if not, check out the title track to 'Last One on Earth' ASAP. Possibly one of the best death/doom tracks ever.

Autopsy's 'Mental Funeral' is another pretty obvious choice, but again, I mention it just in case.

Coffins are another mandatory listen for death/doom fans. I'm not extremely familiar with their back catalog, but their 2013 album 'Fleshland' was really fucking good, as was their split with Noothgrush.

I'll try to add more later, after I wrack my brain a little. :)

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 am 

Thank you Jimmy and Balbulus for all the suggestions I´m going to go through them and check them all out !!. Hooded Menace and Divine Eve sound pretty damn good. My explanation might have been a little off though ,

Here is a good example of what im looking for , even though they are funeral

3:50

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 am 

^
Yeah, Hooded Menace is the way to go then. First two albums in particular.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 am 

androdion wrote:
I actually found it after a quick googling. :p Curious little album though, I had never heard of that band before but it does have a very specific atmosphere that I can't say that I've heard elsewhere. I'll be checking them in more detail.

i got the impression that most if not all of the instruments are programmed, that might be why it sounds odd.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:53 am 

I'm looking for Death/Doom with a psychadelic influence.

Does anything exists ?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm 

Murtal wrote:

Does anything exists ?

Maybe Tiamat's second, third and fourth album. The doom/death pretty much vanished on their fourth album though.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:23 pm 

Murtal wrote:

Does anything exists ?

Yes. They're called Acid Witch.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm 

Murtal wrote:

Does anything exists ?

cornbread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 pm 

Lovers of Enshine and Slumber should check out Jari Lindholm's new project. The E.P. is called Aphotic Veil by Exgenesis.

http://exgenesis.bandcamp.com/releases

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:53 pm 

Hooded Menace was exactly want I was looking for , thanks guys , looking foward to hear the rest of the recommendations.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:55 am 

cornbread wrote:
Lovers of Enshine and Slumber should check out Jari Lindholm's new project. The E.P. is called Aphotic Veil by Exgenesis.

http://exgenesis.bandcamp.com/releases

Just gave this a listen earlier tonight. Really good EP. A lot darker and more dreary than I was expecting. Definitely doomier than Slumber, a bit more like Swallow the Sun or Daylight Dies, but better than either of those if you ask me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 am 

anyone knows who does the vocals on Doom:Vs´s Dead words speak? thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:10 am 

winteragain wrote:

Johan does the vocals on the first couple of albums.

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am 

androdion wrote:
winteragain wrote:

Johan does the vocals on the first couple of albums.

thanks!

does anyone know any funeral band with violins ? does such a thing exist?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 am 

I think you might find funeral doom bands using strings occasionally, but a full time violin player akin to My Dying Bride?! Probably not.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next