* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
Wait, what?! :???:

Presage to the Eternity was pretty death doom and their album had some obvious death doom moments as well.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm 

I only listened to Swallow Swouming Mass, and it had little or anything to do with doom. I've never heard the demo so I couldn't comment on that. Still, you can understand why their name popped up like that can't you?! ;)

Wolfborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:38 am 

For slow and heavy Dark Metal, try 0 X í S T

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 am 

droneriot wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some funeral doom with (only) clean vocals? I know it technically isn't really funeral doom without growls, but you get what I mean, something that sounds like funeral doom instrumentally but has clean vocals instead of growls. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

Pallbearer has pretty clean vocals, and no growling.

Tell me if you guys have any bands that sound like them also.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm 

colin040 wrote:
It's just too bad there aren't really any of those Dance of December Souls influenced doom/death metal bands while there's plenty that took Katatonia's Brave Murder Day sound as a main inspiration which is unfortunate because that album sucks. :p

Note to myself: check doom/death metal bands from your own country one day. :lol:

Brave Murder Day truly sucks.

You should at least check outOfficium Triste

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm 

Hey guys, wanted to let you know I'm back and will do my best to satisfy your death/doom needs!

:)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
It's just too bad there aren't really any of those Dance of December Souls influenced doom/death metal bands while there's plenty that took Katatonia's Brave Murder Day sound as a main inspiration which is unfortunate because that album sucks. :p

Hahaha, I personally love Brave Murder Day! :D

The only band I've ever heard that truly sounded similar to Dance of December Souls was this mysterious solo-project called Pact of Solitude. They have one EP called Pain and Passion, sounds like the same style of weepy blackened doom/death metal.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 am 

I like Brave Murder Day too, the only bad thing I associate to it is the fact it was the most copied doom metal formula for some years after the release.
Several copycats are, actually, very good too, but I prefer some diversity, even over quality.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
The only band I've ever heard that truly sounded similar to Dance of December Souls was this mysterious solo-project called Pact of Solitude. They have one EP called Pain and Passion, sounds like the same style of weepy blackened doom/death metal.

Hmm that wasn't so bad...definitely made me think of Dance of December Souls except for the different vocal delivery. I'll check that entire EP later.

I remember having asked for DoDS Katatonia reccs earlier and that reminded me of two bands I had discovered then which are In Ruins and Beatrik

I've just heard this In Ruins song. I'd say it has some early Katatonia/October Tide kind of vibe. Pretty decent overall:

And then there's Beatrik. The desperate vocals reminds me A LOT of Jonas Renske in his earlier days although the music seems to be more black metal-ish oriented.

Iburngreen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 am 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some funeral doom with (only) clean vocals? I know it technically isn't really funeral doom without growls, but you get what I mean, something that sounds like funeral doom instrumentally but has clean vocals instead of growls. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

Pallbearer has pretty clean vocals, and no growling.

Tell me if you guys have any bands that sound like them also.

I'd love to get a hold of some funeral doom with darker melody. And not necessarily growls. I very much enjoy Pallbearer as well despite the clean vocals. One band similar in style, but less melodic guitar wise, is 40 watt sun. But those aren't really funeral doom.

wilchowo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 am 

I was not sure where to post this but I want some sort of video or article which explains the difference between grindcore and deathcore, in general how to differentiate between the various sub genres of heavy metal.

wilchowo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:58 am 

Trees of Eternity are a bit funeral doom-ish and it has clean female vocals.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:43 am 

I was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that are similar to Funeral (the Norway one). Specifically, I'm after an album that is as similar as possible to their 2006 album: From These Wounds. Think death-doom with gothic touches, lower pitched clean vocals, whilst having a production that gives the guitars some real bite, so while it has a depressing feel to it, it comes across as massive and doomy instead of whiny.

Basically, I want something that sounds as similar to this as possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSOtmTocPCk

Thanks!

Edit: Please don't recommend Novembers Doom or My Dying Bride, as while they do fit the request to an extent I'm already familiar with quite a few of their albums. I've also checked out some bands mentioned as recommendations to others that were after bands similar to Funeral, namely Wardenclyffe and Shroud of Bereavement. Neither of which were really my thing, sadly.

Last edited by Gypaetus on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 am 

Don't even know if somebody has posted this before.
I think, this one-man funeral doom metal band from Finland is really grim, especially the track "Fall". I sometimes even cry listening at that track.
http://www.reverbnation.com/aamunkajo

TheCureIsDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 am 

Hey, I was wondering if there's any funeral doom out there more like Mournful Congregation or something. I've been really into their early stuff lately.
Also, anything aurally like Thergothon would be cool too
Thanks

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 am 

TheCureIsDeath wrote:
Hey, I was wondering if there's any funeral doom out there more like Mournful Congregation or something. I've been really into their early stuff lately.

Can't help with funeral doom, but I can think of two death/doom bands that are similar to Mournful Congregation. One is early Anathema ("Crestfallen", "Serenades", "Pentecost III"), who I believe to be one of Mournful Congregation's main influences, the other is Anhedonist, a newer band from the United States who basically sound like a "deathed-up" version of Mournful Congregation.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some sorrowful doom like the obscure Autumn (RUS)? Their album Osehn Vechna is a sorrowful doom masterpiece.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 pm 

Does anyone have any really ambient/atmospheric funeral doom like Celestiial or maybe to a later extent, Esoteric? More so on the Celestiial and dISEMBOWELMENT side, though.

Thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am 

Markov wrote:
Does anyone have any really ambient/atmospheric funeral doom like Celestiial or maybe to a later extent, Esoteric? More so on the Celestiial and dISEMBOWELMENT side, though.

Thanks!

Do you know Evoken?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm 

I hope so lol, but I don't think it's a great rec since he asked for ambient and atmospheric.

I know you'll like this band, crushing and with black influences. Also check out Profetus from Finland.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm 

Atmospheric on the D. side means Evoken's Quietus in my book Tony. ;) It's a bit removed from the more pronounced death/doom leanings of later works, and it bears a solemn atmosphere like few other funeral doom albums I've heard. Imagine Ahab's sophomore effort but with a solemn almost classical sense of composition. It's very dreary though. I was really surprised with that album and I think it fits nicely with the mood of the request.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 pm 

androdion wrote:
Markov wrote:

Thanks!

Do you know Evoken?

Since he fashioned one of his bands after an Esoteric song, I'd certainly hope so.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 am 

Markov wrote:

Thanks!

Disembowelment isn't funeral doom. :P And coincidence will have it, there is a death/doom album you might find interesting, Matrix by Prophecy of Doom.

Vanderkaum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am 

Not to ruffle any feathers here, as I'm sure most of you would want me to dig around. Though I've tried rather unsuccessfully and I'm kind of looking for certain sounding bands.
Examples of the bands I'm looking for would be something like any of these bands...
Saturnus
Agonal
October Tide
Daylight Dies
Swallow the Sun
In Mourning
11th Hour
Novembers Doom
Funeral
Nonexistence

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 pm 

Vanderkaum wrote:
Not to ruffle any feathers here, as I'm sure most of you would want me to dig around. Though I've tried rather unsuccessfully and I'm kind of looking for certain sounding bands.
Examples of the bands I'm looking for would be something like any of these bands...
Saturnus
Agonal
October Tide
Daylight Dies
Swallow the Sun
In Mourning
11th Hour
Novembers Doom
Funeral
Nonexistence

Morgion
Draconian
Katatonia's first two albums (though I'm sure you already know of them)
Mourning Beloveth
Officium Triste
The Slow Death
Rapture
Before the Rain
The Fall of Every Season

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 am 

Also check out Stone Wings while you're at it. Aussie doom/death band with melodic touches. Not too weepy and you might enjoy them since you mentioned those bands. I discovered them on a split with Mournful Congregation.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Vanderkaum wrote:
Saturnus
Agonal
October Tide
Daylight Dies
Swallow the Sun
In Mourning
11th Hour
Novembers Doom
Funeral
Nonexistence

Morgion
Draconian
Katatonia's first two albums (though I'm sure you already know of them)
Mourning Beloveth
Officium Triste
The Slow Death
Rapture
Before the Rain
The Fall of Every Season

I'd also like to add to this list The Morningside, Frailty, Sincarnate and Process of Guilt. Sorry for the crappy sound quality but that's Youtube for you. Hope this helps in your quest for great doom/death.

Vanderkaum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 am 

Really appreciate it guys, will definitely be checking out these, I knew a few.

I would also like to recommend to everyone, a band up and coming, they released a 5 song EP last year and I find it amazing.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm 

Hey this is pretty good. I'm not really a fan of the Finnish melodic doom/death style but these guys do it pretty damn well. Thanks for the heads-up.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 am 

I want the heaviest there is.

Hell, Drought, Ancestortooth and the like.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 am 

Man, Morgion's Among Majestic Ruin is such a disappointment. The first 2 tracks are awesome. Heavy, well written and also gloomy as fuck but the next tracks just don't live up to the quality of the first 2. Also this flows more like an EP to me. It should have been 10-15 minutes longer.

rageagainstyoutoo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some sorrowful doom like the obscure Autumn (RUS)? Their album Osehn Vechna is a sorrowful doom masterpiece.

Try Murkrat (Australia):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NComWEX-8Cg

Markov wrote:

Thanks!

Maybe Abstract Spirit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4Mqat2bgg

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 pm 

iAm wrote:

Well since you know Hell and Ancestortooth, MUNN is essential too when it comes to the Woodsmoke bands.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Kain797
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:52 am 

I'm looking for old school doom with traditional clean vocals, e standard guitar tone, you know, typical old school doom without the over production or gothic saturation. Long song times are a plus.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:25 am 

Kain797 wrote:
I'm looking for old school doom with traditional clean vocals, e standard guitar tone, you know, typical old school doom without the over production or gothic saturation. Long song times are a plus.

The doom/stoner/sludge metal help thread is what you're looking for then.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:55 am 

analog_winter wrote:
iAm wrote:

Well since you know Hell and Ancestortooth, MUNN is essential too when it comes to the Woodsmoke bands.

Yeah, I know of Munn. I've met many of those guys connected to Woodsmoke personally and am pretty familiar with that scene as a whole. I suppose I'm looking for less obvious bands or something I may have missed.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:57 am 

I'm looking for blackened doom metal bands such as Bethlehem, Brown Jenkins and Ghast. Thanks.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:09 pm 

peterpessimism wrote:
I'm looking for blackened doom metal bands such as Bethlehem, Brown Jenkins and Ghast. Thanks.

Argentum, early Faustcoven, Barathrum, Deinonychus, Misery's Omen, Sui Caedere, Skitliv

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

peterpessimism wrote:

You might enjoy Brondniht, an obscure UK band who only released a 2 song EP/demo. Dissonant blackened doom with meandering guitar lines that twist around each other, with an anglo-saxon theme and lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2-DzIKKOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HtiDsquuk

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:21 pm 

What's the best starting point with Solitude Aeturnus, thanks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 28  Next