Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:18 am 

What album by November's Doom should I check out next? I've had The Pale Haunt Departure for a while but I never gave it the proper attention it deserves until tonight. Absolutely fantastic album.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 am 

what's some cool shit like saturnus? mostly I just really like their first album if that's any help.

deathmetalfreak169
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:47 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tribalpython/73906045140

I recently discovered this band. It's a one man project called Tribalpython. Jason Palmer does all of the instruments and vocals. It's very down tempo, low tuned, and even contains slight industrial influence. He has released 11 discs since 2010. I like to think of it as a mix between Novembers Doom, Black Sabbath, and Katatonia with even a hint of Nile. Most of the songs are in the 10 minute range but he has discs available for streaming on Kicktone. 5 bucks a pop. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could take a listen and reccomend me some bands that sound simlilar to this style of death/doom! Cheers and thanks!

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

bug_man wrote:
what's some cool shit like saturnus? mostly I just really like their first album if that's any help.

What about Swallow The Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPLHGlE8oek

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm 

Maybe someone here can help.

So a long time ago I found some funeral doom band that used neoclassical solos throughout the album, and it was rad. However, I no longer have the name and I guess with what the cover looked like didn't help. So I was wondering if anyone could name a band with that similar sound.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 pm 

Mourning Beloveth are roughly comparable to Saturnus within the death/doom genre, but they have their own twist on that sound. They're probably pretty well known to most death/doom fans though.

cornbread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm 

Seconding the request for stuff like Forest of Shadow's "Where Dreams Turn to Dust" EP. Anything out there like this?
Atmospheric, gothic clean vocals are okay (none of that Insomnium-like shit, please), and flute!

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:41 pm 

cornbread wrote:
Seconding the request for stuff like Forest of Shadow's "Where Dreams Turn to Dust" EP. Anything out there like this?
Atmospheric, gothic clean vocals are okay (none of that Insomnium-like shit, please), and flute!

I should be able to help you!

Estatic Fear
Spoiler: show

Empyrium

In Somnis

early-Lacrimas Profundere

early-Ashes You Leave (this may step outside of the box a little bit, but I figure they are worth mentioning)

cornbread
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the recs! I'll check these out.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:23 am 

Can someone recommend me death/doom or funeral doom instrumentation with lamenting female vocals, something along lines of The Slow Death, Lethian Dreams, Remembrance, Skumring, Trees of Eternity etc. Basically dark, repetitive long dirge like compositions with weeping angelic voices

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
Can someone recommend me death/doom or funeral doom instrumentation with lamenting female vocals, something along lines of The Slow Death, Lethian Dreams, Remembrance, Skumring, Trees of Eternity etc. Basically dark, repetitive long dirge like compositions with weeping angelic voices

Funeral's album, Tragedies

Black Lodge

Unholy's album, Gracefallen

Murkrat (from the female vocalist of The Slow Death)

Lycanthia (a bit more symphonic than the others, but still pretty good)

WritheInPain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:24 pm 

Looking for bands that sound like Katatonia's Dance of December Souls album, preferably with no clean vocals.

Also I don't get why the band went with clean vocals after this album, sounds so good with growls.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm 

I heard the vocalist had some health problems so he couldn't growl anymore.

Theres probably nothing else like Dance of December Souls but maybe try Anathema's first two albums

WritheInPain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:44 pm 

ColeMiner wrote:
I heard the vocalist had some health problems so he couldn't growl anymore.

Theres probably nothing else like Dance of December Souls but maybe try Anathema's first two albums

Aww :c

Didn't know about this health problems situation :/

And "nothing else like Dance of December Souls"? Is this album unique like this?

Will search for the first two Anathema albums then, but if anyone else has other recommendations feel free to speak up :)

Also, sorry for my english, not my main language.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 pm 

WritheInPain wrote:
Looking for bands that sound like Katatonia's Dance of December Souls album, preferably with no clean vocals.

Also I don't get why the band went with clean vocals after this album, sounds so good with growls.

It's a shame you don't want any clean vocals, because the early albums of Tristitia and Autumnblaze sound almost exactly like Dance of December Souls, aside from the use of clean singing. These should still come pretty close to what you're looking for.

Cemetery - Godless Beauty

Beyond Dawn - Longing for Scarlet Days

Tiamat - Clouds

In Ruins - Four Seasons of Grey

October Tide - Rain Without End (same vocalist/songwriter from Katatonia)

WritheInPain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
WritheInPain wrote:

It's a shame you don't want any clean vocals, because the early albums of Tristitia and Autumnblaze sound almost exactly like Dance of December Souls, aside from the use of clean singing. These should still come pretty close to what you're looking for.

Cemetery - Godless Beauty

Beyond Dawn - Longing for Scarlet Days

Tiamat - Clouds

In Ruins - Four Seasons of Grey

October Tide - Rain Without End (same vocalist/songwriter from Katatonia)

Thanks for taking your time and giving me these suggestions! :)

I really liked In Ruins and Cemetery, Tiamat would sound awesome to me if it wasn't for the clean vocals, the song had awesome instrumentals but the clean vocals really displeases me.

I already knew October Tide, I like the band but it lacks the "despair" and "anguish"(if you know what I mean) on the vocals and songs like Katatonia.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:28 pm 

Beatrik's second album has vocals identical to DoDS era Katatonia. The music itself is more black metal oriented and definitely not as doom-y from what I remember.

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:37 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Looking for any kind of melodic Doom that incorporates beautiful and longing melodies like that of Forest of Shadow's Where Dreams Turn to Dust EP. Harmonizing guitars and acoustic guitars are a plus.
The chorus is a good example of what I am looking for. (skip to 2:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt0g8kxPV0

cornbread wrote:

i think i have recommended it on a previous page , but you should try ningizzia , its by the same guy as Forest of Shadows , very similar to his early work , only one album though .

Where dreams turn to dust is great.. too bad the other albums are not as good

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:41 am 

Thoughts on Encoffination?

Sometimes a concept is a little too much like its inspiration. At a certain point a body in a coffin gets kind of boring.

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 am 

looking for something similar to Ahab´s first album , Call of the wretched sea , melodic and heavy

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Thoughts on Encoffination?

Sometimes a concept is a little too much like its inspiration. At a certain point a body in a coffin gets kind of boring.

Never really got into that band, more of the same I guess and with less flair.

winteragain wrote:
looking for something similar to Ahab´s first album , Call of the wretched sea , melodic and heavy

Are you familiar with Esoteric's Metamorphogenesis album? Give it a try.

ceiworus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:25 pm 

Posted as a separate topic, but I'll post here, too.

Absolutely in love with bands like Dusk, Mythic, Coffins, Rippikoulu, Thorr's Hammer, Cianide, Sorrow, Indesinence, Winter, diSEMBOWELMENT, etc. Bands with that heavy, crushing rawness to them, while still maintaining their death metal qualities, and nothing that's too consistently slow the whole way through (that tends to bore me after awhile). I'm into the progressiveness/momentum of the 'death' and the hard breaks and heaviness of the 'doom', basically (duh).

I know of most of the classics in this genre but am just posting to see if I'm missing out on any bands that aren't as well known. New or old.

Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:42 pm 

Vainaja's been kicking my ass lately, and matches your description pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq39-cBOaA

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:42 am 

Check out Magus. Reminds me of diSEMBOWELMENT, but sadly they didn't record much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6576ry4P7ag

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm 

ceiworus wrote:
Posted as a separate topic, but I'll post here, too.

Absolutely in love with bands like Dusk, Mythic, Coffins, Rippikoulu, Thorr's Hammer, Cianide, Sorrow, Indesinence, Winter, diSEMBOWELMENT, etc. Bands with that heavy, crushing rawness to them, while still maintaining their death metal qualities, and nothing that's too consistently slow the whole way through (that tends to bore me after awhile). I'm into the progressiveness/momentum of the 'death' and the hard breaks and heaviness of the 'doom', basically (duh).

I know of most of the classics in this genre but am just posting to see if I'm missing out on any bands that aren't as well known. New or old.

Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Absolutely you want to check out that Divine Eve Upon These Ashes Scorn the World compilation. Other than the sort of boring Celtic Frost cover smack in the middle of it, it plays like a full-length album. Pretty simple bludgeoning savagery around the more midpaced death/doom parts, plus there are some almost unexpected melodic bits as well that work perfectly. The "grindcore influences" noted on the band's M-A page mostly manifest themselves more as sort of Autopsy-ish punk ethos and slop, so don't go in expecting whirring grind guitar and blasting.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ceiworus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Vainaja's been kicking my ass lately, and matches your description pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq39-cBOaA

Hell yeah, this is the kinda stuff I'm looking for. They seem like a new band, too.. Not many new acts can get (or even attempt) that OSDM/doom vibe. Very into it.

ThanatosUK wrote:
Check out Magus. Reminds me of diSEMBOWELMENT, but sadly they didn't record much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6576ry4P7ag

If diSEMBOWELMENT was a grind band, this would be it. Good stuff, but not something I'd frequently listen to.

iamntbatman wrote:
Absolutely you want to check out that Divine Eve Upon These Ashes Scorn the World compilation.

Just checked this out.. into it. Was definitely missing out.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm 

Need horror movie inspired doom metal. I only know Acid Witch

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 pm 

ColeMiner wrote:
Need horror movie inspired doom metal. I only know Acid Witch

Kind of obvious, but try Hooded Menace.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 am 

Everyone, I'm going to need help lifting my pants as they are being weighed down by the bricks I have just now shat. The Slow Death have released something new. And it is amazing.

Oh, and Majestic Downfall are pretty cool, too, I guess.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:34 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Everyone, I'm going to need help lifting my pants as they are being weighed down by the bricks I have just now shat. The Slow Death have released something new. And it is amazing.

You are going to want to hear this song from their newest album as well. Funeral doom as fuck.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:01 am 

WHAT WHAT

WHAT

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

You are going to want to hear this song from their newest album as well. Funeral doom as fuck.

That's a quality track. But I'd want to hear something as doomalicious as "Empty Places". The improvisations on that song are so effing off the hook.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:00 am 

To those of you who are looking for something in the same vein as Katatonia's Dance of December Souls or Paradise Lost's Gothic, I present this to you. I have to say I quite enjoy it.

Kuwabara1997
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hello everyone!

I recently got into Ambient Black Metal & Epic Black Metal. I like the gloomy, doleful yet majestic atmosphere it portrays. I am also highly interested in finding bands in these sorts of genres amongst doom metal.

I am a fan of Funeral Doom, Death Doom, and Gothic Doom, so I am, what I'd say, well-versed in doom metal, so I can appreciate the various suggestions that may come up. I am unsure as to what bands I could give as material to base similarities on, for I am not familiar with any Ambient Doom or Epic Doom bands.

I'm looking for haunting, yet melancholic synths, crushingly bleak vocals. I love keyboards and ambient sounds too. Female vocals are a plus. Addition of flutes, violins, other traditional instruments (for Epic Doom) is also welcome.

I guess just give me what you feel are the most popular and essential bands of Ambient Doom & Epic Doom metal.

Thanks in advance

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:26 pm 

Kuwabara1997 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I recently got into Ambient Black Metal & Epic Black Metal. I like the gloomy, doleful yet majestic atmosphere it portrays. I am also highly interested in finding bands in these sorts of genres amongst doom metal.

I am a fan of Funeral Doom, Death Doom, and Gothic Doom, so I am, what I'd say, well-versed in doom metal, so I can appreciate the various suggestions that may come up. I am unsure as to what bands I could give as material to base similarities on, for I am not familiar with any Ambient Doom or Epic Doom bands.

I'm looking for haunting, yet melancholic synths, crushingly bleak vocals. I love keyboards and ambient sounds too. Female vocals are a plus. Addition of flutes, violins, other traditional instruments (for Epic Doom) is also welcome.

I guess just give me what you feel are the most popular and essential bands of Ambient Doom & Epic Doom metal.

Thanks in advance

I'm not quite so familiar with many Epic Doom bands, but I think I could help with the Ambient bands.

Hope those help.

Kuwabara1997
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 pm 

I have another request now.

Funeral's In Fields of Pestilent Grief is, in my opinion, one of the greatest doom metal albums of all time. I love the backstory behind it, the onslaught of crushingly depressive guitar work. The operatic, yet melodic vocals of Hanne Hukkelberg are about as entrancing as Lisa Johansson's, from Draconian. In fact, I can't think of another female doom metal vocalist that I would compare her too and think so highly of. The rest of Funeral's discography, aside From These Wounds, doesn't really appeal to me as much as In Fields of Pestilent Grief.

Anyway, what are some good gothic doom, death/doom, funeral doom bands with similar vocals and depressing guitar work. Take a listen to the song Yield to Me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OUmQctdIw, for some vocal material to work from. Bands with dual vocalists, male and female are fine. Bonus if it holds atmospheric effects like Draconian or Shape of Despair.

Thanks in advance

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 pm 

Check out Skumring, Omit, Trees of Eternity, Lethian Dreams and Remembrance

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm 

Kuwabara1997 wrote:
I have another request now.

Funeral's In Fields of Pestilent Grief is, in my opinion, one of the greatest doom metal albums of all time. I love the backstory behind it, the onslaught of crushingly depressive guitar work. The operatic, yet melodic vocals of Hanne Hukkelberg are about as entrancing as Lisa Johansson's, from Draconian. In fact, I can't think of another female doom metal vocalist that I would compare her too and think so highly of. The rest of Funeral's discography, aside From These Wounds, doesn't really appeal to me as much as In Fields of Pestilent Grief.

Anyway, what are some good gothic doom, death/doom, funeral doom bands with similar vocals and depressing guitar work. Take a listen to the song Yield to Me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OUmQctdIw, for some vocal material to work from. Bands with dual vocalists, male and female are fine. Bonus if it holds atmospheric effects like Draconian or Shape of Despair.

Thanks in advance

ooo this is the kind of stuff that I dig. Funeral is one of my favorite bands, and I love In Fields... ColeMiner's recs are essential. Here are some other bands you may enjoy.

Ava Inferi (I feel their music lies very close to that particular album from Funeral)

The 3rd and the Mortal (early days)

The Slow Death

To Cast a Shadow

I'll also throw in Murkrat. Not quite so operatic or accessible, but a great funeral doom project nonetheless, with amazing vocals.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:38 am 

Mandy from Murkrat/Crone/Slow Death is all kinds of awesome. Probably one of the best female metal musicians around.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm 

Anyone listened to the new Omit album? Is it just me or is there something wrong with the drums?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next