Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 pm 

Gorstak wrote:
Can anyone recommend me bands that use more nature-themed lyrics or atmosphere?

Celestiial (Not a typo) should be right up your alley! Both of their full length are excellent, though I prefer the debut.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:10 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Please recommend something in the vein of Stabat Mater

I can't see anything right now. Could you just describe what you feel about SM music ? The kind of vibe you're after?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 am 

Gorstak wrote:

The Wind, The Trees and the shadows of the past by The Morningside, the tilte says it all.

Otherwise, thunder, rain and other sounds of nature are quite common in doom, as overture, intrelude or background atmosphere.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm looking for funeral doom that's really slow. I'm not looking for drone/doom, but actual funeral doom metal that's maybe 20bpm or something?

Slow can be of some interest:

https://musicalexcrements.bandcamp.com/album/iii-ga-a

Loss maybe too...

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 pm 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:
Does Shape of Despair have a classic?

I actually like Ahab's first album a lot, haven't listened to it in years though.

and don't make fun of me but my absolute favourite death/doom release(well after Disembowelment) would have to be Daylight Dies- Dismantling Devotion.

Nothing to be ashamed of there. It's a great album and their best one. I regret ignoring them for so many years.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm 

Something that I wanted to know is if there was/is bands that blend funeral doom with brutal death.
I mean there is bands that mix death metal with funeral doom but I have never really heard brutal death elements in any funeral doom I know.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 am 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
Something that I wanted to know is if there was/is bands that blend funeral doom with brutal death.
I mean there is bands that mix death metal with funeral doom but I have never really heard brutal death elements in any funeral doom I know.

I don't think so as the aesthetics of both sub-genres are completely different. There is "grindy" death/doom though, stuff like Disembowelment or Prophecy Of Doom's early stuff (if memory serves, it's been like a decade since I heard them).

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:39 am 

androdion wrote:
I don't think so as the aesthetics of both sub-genres are completely different.

I can totally see that. It was more like a thought in my head that was like "has any band ever tried doing that?"

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 pm 

Not that I know of, unless something like that totally eluded me, ha ha.

Oktor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:37 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Gorstak wrote:

The Wind, The Trees and the shadows of the past by The Morningside, the tilte says it all.

Otherwise, thunder, rain and other sounds of nature are quite common in doom, as overture, intrelude or background atmosphere.

What an amazing album mate, when it came out it became an instant classic for me. Sadly their last album sucks big time.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:25 pm 

Warlord, a former active reviewer and forum member had a not-so-good project called Septic Tomb that attempted to combine funeral doom with goregrind, that's the closest I can think of. Other than that, you can only make huge stretches, like Incantation and Morpheus Descends having elements of brutal death metal and death/doom metal. Huge, huge stretch. Same as the aforementioned Disembowelment.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:48 am 

droneriot wrote:
Warlord, a former active reviewer and forum member had a not-so-good project called Septic Tomb that attempted to combine funeral doom with goregrind, that's the closest I can think of. Other than that, you can only make huge stretches, like Incantation and Morpheus Descends having elements of brutal death metal and death/doom metal. Huge, huge stretch. Same as the aforementioned Disembowelment.

Okay I will check them out, even if goregrind is not really my cup of tea.

As I said I just wanted to ask if anybody knows bands that try to blend the two named genres. I know stuff like Incantation ect. but as you said that is really something far away from what I initially asked for.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:21 am 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Okay I will check them out, even if goregrind is not really my cup of tea.

As I said I just wanted to ask if anybody knows bands that try to blend the two named genres. I know stuff like Incantation ect. but as you said that is really something far away from what I initially asked for.

I think there's nothing like that. These are two musical frames that are too vastly far away from one another. You could say it's almost two different turns of mind.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 am 

Maybe not funeral doom like Mournful Congregation, but I can totally imagine one of the more twisted sounding brutal death metal bands (like early Abramelin) breaking out into an extended torture doom part.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:39 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
These are two musical frames that are too vastly far away from one another. You could say it's almost two different turns of mind.

I know. And yet there is bands that have combined other genres that are really far from each other like doom and thrash.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:11 pm 

Well yeah, but even then how many are there besides Confessor and Seventh Angel?!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:25 am 

But you're asking about funeral doom, not trad or death doom. You can have some faster parts within doom, it's even part of the aesthetics of trad and death doom, but Funeral? no way! It's solemn, very slow all the way and the focus is on the atmosphere with often long ambient parts. I don't think it can borrow from Brutal Death, Thrash or Grind without completely losing what it's about in the first place.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:58 am 

Of course it can borrow from grind, have you never listened to Rigor Sardonicous?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 am 

Rigor Sardonicous would be a FD band, then?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 am 

Been enjoying Asphyx's The Rack and Soulburn's Feeding on Angels lately. The former didn't click with me earlier but now I have no idea why. Both albums sound so heavy, yet know when to catch your attention with exciting, spot-on riffs. The tortured vocals and simple, yet effective songwriting works really well, too.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 am 

Anything very similar to End of Aeon's Through Infant Eyes? I like the excellent female vocals and epic sounding music.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:19 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Anything very similar to End of Aeon's Through Infant Eyes? I like the excellent female vocals and epic sounding music.

Assuming you're already familiar with the likes of Draconian, my first recommendation would have to be Nox Aurea.

I would also recommend Red Moon Architect. Their music is a bit slower and more atmospheric, but still generally the same style (melodic death/doom metal with male grunts and pleasant female cleans)

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:16 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:

Assuming you're already familiar with the likes of Draconian, my first recommendation would have to be Nox Aurea.

I would also recommend Red Moon Architect. Their music is a bit slower and more atmospheric, but still generally the same style (melodic death/doom metal with male grunts and pleasant female cleans)

Draconian ... direct hit! Just listened to Sovran. Excellent female vocals. Music has a lot of feel. Just ordered the CD.

Actually, I'm not familiar with much doom or Draconian. After a couple decades of searching for the next Trouble Psalm 9, or Candlemass Nightfall or Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and finding nothing but thin guitars and dragging music I kind of gave up on doom. I was actually looking at death metal and End of Aeon popped up. There's just something very professional about that album. Several songs are incredibly well-structured and the female vocals are exceptional.

I think you're definitely in the ballpark with those other two recommendations. I'm going to give their stuff a listen. On first listen I'd say Red Moon Architect has the better vocals and more epic sound. Neither is as good as Draconian though.

Thanks!

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 am 

If you like it dreamy this might work too:

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm 

stefan86 wrote:
If you like it dreamy this might work too:

Not bad. A little on the monotonous side, but I can see myself listening to it in the right mellow mood. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering if there's anything similar to The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees, And The Shadows of the Past mentioned by Morphine above.

Always thought my ideal doom/death would be something like Darkapathy's Condemned In Black, but I'm starting to like some of these elegant songs with clean female vocals, or mellow meanderings of something like The Morningside.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:35 pm 

Looking for more "100% romance free" (even things like Dusk go too far) death/doom from the past century. My favourites are Winter, Disembowelment, Cianide, Sempiternal Deathreign, Necro Schizma, Divine Eve/Crimson Relic, Asphyx, Mythic, Symphony of Grief, Mangled Torsos. Bands that are okay are Spina Bifida, Derkéta, Rippikoulu, Goatlord/Doom Snake Cult, Eternal Darkness, Thorr's Hammer. Not keen on Delirium, Mystic Charm, Dusk, Sorrow, Unholy, Sinistrous Diabolus, Ceremonium, Mourning, Morgion, Russian Winter (writing it like this 'cause I can't cyrillic), Decomposed. On the fence about Castle and Doomstone.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 pm 

ever heard the brazilian band Pentacrostic? their 1992 debut "the pain tears" is a great slab of occult, lo-fi and romance free death/doom!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 pm 

It's funny you mention ''romantic free'' doom/death. I definitely like a bit of both ''romantic'' and ''death-y'' doom/death metal. The problem with the romantic style for me is that it tends to get too sappy for me at times while the death-y doom/death metal bands sometimes tend to dwell too much on the same down tuned riffs that last forever.

What about Runemagick?

Gave Inverloch's newest album a go lately. Doesn't really excite me much so far. They better play much Disembowelment stuff once I'll see them at Roadburn in April.

Revisited Sorrow lately. Definitely cool stuff with a bit mechanical sounding vibe to me, but that's not a bad thing.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Looking for more "100% romance free" (even things like Dusk go too far) death/doom from the past century. My favourites are Winter, Disembowelment, Cianide, Sempiternal Deathreign, Necro Schizma, Divine Eve/Crimson Relic, Asphyx, Mythic, Symphony of Grief, Mangled Torsos. Bands that are okay are Spina Bifida, Derkéta, Rippikoulu, Goatlord/Doom Snake Cult, Eternal Darkness, Thorr's Hammer. Not keen on Delirium, Mystic Charm, Dusk, Sorrow, Unholy, Sinistrous Diabolus, Ceremonium, Mourning, Morgion, Russian Winter (writing it like this 'cause I can't cyrillic), Decomposed. On the fence about Castle and Doomstone.

some newer bands that you will prob dislike:
Confrontation, valborg (avoid the newest), tyrant's kall, Indesinence, cryptic brood, spectral voice and hesper payne.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:53 pm 

Know most of them, don't like any of them.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 pm 

How about Mourning Beloveth? Despite the romantic name they are not really a romantic band

epicone1z
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 pm 

Funeral doom metal bands like abyssmal sorrow, elysian blaze, worship, evoken, nortt?

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:49 pm 

For bands like the first two, try Funeral Mourning.

For the last two, go for Ataraxie.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:14 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fu ... ism/352038

Is there a stream of this album anywhere? There's only two tracks on Youtube and their Bandcamp only has one.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:43 am 

It's autumn here and I think that ony thing that can be better than death/doom is weed. Perfect time to listen to something melodic and melancholic yet agressive at the same time. Love the melodic stuff of Katatonia(as well as their "Abyssic Hate" style") and Forest of Shadows.
Some death/sludge/crust bands also plays it very nicely. Looking for more modern bands that are experimenting with doom(not really into drone).

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 pm 

Check out Head of the Demon if you like this type of stuff. I do find them to be more on the boring side.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:33 am 

Aphotic is pretty much a Katatonia clone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTnfRbOVIo

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:16 pm 

Aphotic is one of my favorite bands in that style, I like them a lot more than their influences. Stillness Grows is super awesome.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:56 am 

Is there any death/doom band that uses sitar and/or accordion? Funeral doom would work as well.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:33 pm 

Not sure if anyone's heard of them, but can anyone recommend me some bands that sound similar to Trollmann av Ildtoppberg? Bizarre, ultra-slow stuff that isn't too heavy and verges on being drone or dungeon synth, almost.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next