Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:50 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
ok I've asked this question 3 times this week but I guess I finally found the right place to ask: if I were to get one Runemagick album, which would you suggest?

Dude, you're tripping! :lol:

It depends on whether you want straight up death metal or groovy death/doom really. The debut is still their best effort in terms of the former, while which it is for the later is really up for debate. A friend of mine is a big fan of the band and he seems to rave about Darkness Death Doom. Go ahead, try both of them and have a blast. :p

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 am 

First run through with Swallowed this morning on the way to work. It's different than I was expecting. Heavier, wilder...it actually reminds me of Teitanblood for some reason. Like, if I didn't know better I would be convinced it was a side-project of theirs. I'm hoping to spend some more time with it as I am somewhat intrigued, it's just a lot less "riffy" than I was expecting.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm 

Yeah, like I said in my review, Swallowed are basically Teitanblood if that band was much, much better than they are. The more I listen to Lunarterial the more I like it. Fantastic, weird, unsettling stuff.

I would also second Darkness Death Doom as a Runemagick introduction. It's still pretty death metally so if you like that aspect a lot you could move from there to earlier albums, but it's also real doomy so if you like that you could go for later material, plus it's also just a great album front to back so there's that too.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm 

I can't quite agree with that yet, but I'm a Teitanblood fan whereas you're...not. Like I said it was just a lot less riff-oriented than I expected. I am intrigued though. It was otherworldly and kind of perplexing.

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 pm 

Pretty new to doomy stuff, whats up with some deathy doom? Im looking for growled vocals and somewhat catchy riffs. Ive tried to get into autopsy but their riffs just dont do it for me. Thats really the only band i know of so feel free to mention obvious stuff.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:23 pm 

gnarlbro wrote:
Pretty new to doomy stuff, whats up with some deathy doom? Im looking for growled vocals and somewhat catchy riffs. Ive tried to get into autopsy but their riffs just dont do it for me. Thats really the only band i know of so feel free to mention obvious stuff.

Check out:
Asphyx - Last One On Earth (and their other albums too!)
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade
Slugathor
Disma
Runemagick (earlier stuff is faster and more death metal than death/doom)

Also, are you familiar with My Dying Bride (The Dreadful Hours or Turn Loose the Swans and Paradise Lost (Gothic especially).

I could give you some more stuff if you give me some precision and tell me what you like.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I can't quite agree with that yet, but I'm a Teitanblood fan whereas you're...not. Like I said it was just a lot less riff-oriented than I expected. I am intrigued though. It was otherworldly and kind of perplexing.

I don't hate Teitanblood, I just find that they go a little too hard into their two distinct modes (i.e. the crushing doomy groove parts and the chaos blasty parts) without much that really unifies these two approaches, and the guitar tone renders the fast stuff into this indistinct whirring that just gets tedious. Swallowed isn't super riffy, though they've got some monsters for sure, but everything about the performances (instrumental and vocal) and songwriting just seem so much more alive and thoughtful and unsettling. Really grabbed me in a way that Teitanblood never quite have.

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:08 pm 

Am a fan of bands like Asphyx and Cianide. I also really dig old Anathema. I don't know much about the death/doom scene in terms of new and upcoming bands out there. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Temple Of Void, really like their music. Does anyone know of recent bands that are similar to that?

Also, I have been trying to find some good female-fronted doom/death type of bands, and I recently discovered Derketa. Really like their sound and their vocals. I am curious of other similar bands that are also female-fronted?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:26 pm 

Check out Uncoffined.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:39 am 

thementalpatient wrote:

Also, I have been trying to find some good female-fronted doom/death type of bands, and I recently discovered Derketa. Really like their sound and their vocals. I am curious of other similar bands that are also female-fronted?

Mythic, of course. Then Thorr's Hammer and Mystic Charm.

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:21 am 

Metantoine wrote:
gnarlbro wrote:

Check out:
Asphyx - Last One On Earth (and their other albums too!)
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade
Slugathor
Disma
Runemagick (earlier stuff is faster and more death metal than death/doom)

Also, are you familiar with My Dying Bride (The Dreadful Hours or Turn Loose the Swans and Paradise Lost (Gothic especially).

I could give you some more stuff if you give me some precision and tell me what you like.

I'm already a big Bolt Thrower fan, and just discovered Slugathor on the DM thread just earlier today. I cant get into Asphyx though. Disma is fantastic, reminds me of what I wish Mortician would be more like. Also enjoying Runemagick quite a bit, many thanks!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:28 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I don't hate Teitanblood, I just find that they go a little too hard into their two distinct modes (i.e. the crushing doomy groove parts and the chaos blasty parts) without much that really unifies these two approaches, and the guitar tone renders the fast stuff into this indistinct whirring that just gets tedious. Swallowed isn't super riffy, though they've got some monsters for sure, but everything about the performances (instrumental and vocal) and songwriting just seem so much more alive and thoughtful and unsettling. Really grabbed me in a way that Teitanblood never quite have.

My fault, I realized after I made that post that I was confusing your opinion on TTNBLD with Negative Plane! You're completely right, sometimes the tone-worship that fuels the lust for TTNBLD also diminishes their returns. I've only heard Lunarterial in the car so far, and obviously that's the dead wrong setting. Hopefully sometime soon I can get a focused and isolated listen with it.

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Check out Uncoffined.

They sound awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Morphine1873 wrote:
Mythic, of course. Then Thorr's Hammer and Mystic Charm.

I haven't heard of Mythic or Mystic Charm, will definitely check them out. Thorr's Hammer is pretty good, I have a copy of their EP lying around somewhere. Thanks!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm 

Mythic is essential, Mystic Charm just a second-tier Dutch death/doom band. Only decent if you don't know any other bands from that time and place. Though every now and then I just remember them for "Faith Means No Just"... what? Can't make sense of that to this day.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:30 am 

I think they're better than that. Their full-length has been re-released by Memento Mori last year I think. A nice little unpretentious album.

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:35 am 

shameless self-promotion

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
read my blog!

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 pm 

Really like the atmospheric elements in Seidr. Anything that is similar sounding like their The Pillars of Creation?

Possibly something a tad more on the ambient doom spectrum?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:38 am 

thementalpatient wrote:
Really like the atmospheric elements in Seidr. Anything that is similar sounding like their The Pillars of Creation?

Possibly something a tad more on the ambient doom spectrum?

Asunder maybe?

dragonzrmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:05 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for something melancholy and doomy with baritone gothic vocals and progressive elements like Woods of Ypres or Lacrimas Profundere, with a focus on the guitar elements. I like bands such as Saturnus and Swallow The Sun to give a better idea of the melancholy sound I like, but I'm looking specifically for the gothic vocals. The death metal aspects aren't as important as the gothic-doom aspects. Many thanks!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:22 am 

First thing that comes to mind is Funeral - From These Wounds.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:23 am 

If you like that Funeral album, make sure to check out Vestige of Virtue as well (they have the same vocalist that was on From These Wounds).

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:15 am 

I know that rec wasn't for me, but thanks a bunch for that Meditari! I had no idea the vocalist that was in Funeral was still active.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:09 am 

No problem, man. I found out about them recently as well.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 am 

I'm looking for really sorrowful sounding [melodic?] doom/death stuff. Preferably also with some sung vocals - this should be a priority with recommendations if possible. Keyboards or violins or whatever are nice, but don't let the absence of them dissuade a recommendation. It's basically just the atmosphere/feeling that I'm after.

Mourning Beloveth is really close to what I want in almost every way, just the growls there are unspectacular and boring to me. Otherwise, the music is solid, the lyrics are strange and morose, and the clean vocals are absolutely spectacular.

Katatonia's Dance of December Souls has the right atmosphere and vibe to it, too. I'm not against whatever black metal elements might be around, either.

My Dying Bride are enjoyable to me for sure - though I've only really listened to Turn Loose the Swans mostly and a bit of The Angel and the Dark River along with some other scattered tracks. That sort of weepy stuff is great.

I remember liking the song A Life Less Lived by Daylight Dies, too.

Don't skip out on any obvious recommendations, since I haven't really heard that much. I'd prefer songs to check out at first over entire albums, so feel free to mention your favorites or what you'd think might work for me!

Hopefully this is enough for y'all to go off of, despite being a bit subjective and messy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I'm looking for really sorrowful sounding [melodic?] doom/death stuff. Preferably also with some sung vocals - this should be a priority with recommendations if possible. Keyboards or violins or whatever are nice, but don't let the absence of them dissuade a recommendation. It's basically just the atmosphere/feeling that I'm after.

Mourning Beloveth is really close to what I want in almost every way, just the growls there are unspectacular and boring to me. Otherwise, the music is solid, the lyrics are strange and morose, and the clean vocals are absolutely spectacular.

Katatonia's Dance of December Souls has the right atmosphere and vibe to it, too. I'm not against whatever black metal elements might be around, either.

My Dying Bride are enjoyable to me for sure - though I've only really listened to Turn Loose the Swans mostly and a bit of The Angel and the Dark River along with some other scattered tracks. That sort of weepy stuff is great.

Don't skip out on any obvious recommendations, since I haven't really heard that much. I'd prefer songs to check out at first over entire albums, so feel free to mention your favorites or what you'd think might work for me!

Hopefully this is enough for y'all to go off of, despite being a bit subjective and messy.

Swallow the Sun are one of the more obvious ones. They use a mix of harsh and clean vocals.

Mainly harsh:

Mainly clean:

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:37 am 

Dude, listen to The Dreadful Hours!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 am 

I'm looking for really sorrowful sounding [melodic?] doom/death stuff. Preferably also with some sung vocals - this should be a priority with recommendations if possible.

Check ou the new album by Mare Infinitum. I don't like it that much, but it's all you're looking for.

http://mareinfinitum.bandcamp.com/album ... nolith-god

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:10 am 

You need Saturnus

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:53 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I'm looking for really sorrowful sounding [melodic?] doom/death stuff. Preferably also with some sung vocals - this should be a priority with recommendations if possible.

Check ou the new album by Mare Infinitum. I don't like it that much, but it's all you're looking for.

http://mareinfinitum.bandcamp.com/album ... nolith-god

I thought of a band whose sound is more akin that of Mourning Beloveth (more on the funeral side), it's Fatum Elisum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwmQvECeGY

The sung voice isn't that spectacular, but it's powerful and lyrical.

AlmightyHades
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:14 am 

I'm looking for some easy death/doom songs to cover on guitar.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:47 pm 

Then get yourself some Necro Schizma.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:47 pm 

Choirs (anecdotal) directed by three of the four band members and one guest (Ivan Guskov) but above some key notes are tempted gave a sense of happiness to a powerful and heavy funeral doom came from Russia

funeral doom Georgian not so heavy it through riffs, sympathetic.

RaIn92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some crushing death/doom with any folk instruments ?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:53 pm 

RaIn92 wrote:

They're a bit light on the death metal elements, but Silent Stream of Godless Elegy are pretty goddamn amazing. Utterly mesmerizing stuff.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 am 

RaIn92 wrote:

I don't know any doom-related band that would resort to "folk" instruments and would sound "crushing"; not all along anyhow. Most often, these projects focus on softer moods and the folkish elements they add to the mix help make the overall melancholic atmosphere richer; there're also often the echo of a cultural background these bands want to stand for and push forwards.

Right now, the only two that come to mind are the Slavic Amber Tears and Vo Skorbyah.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:36 am 

Graveyard Dirt's new EP is out. Great stuff.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:01 pm 

^Not bad at all. I totally forgot about this band, so it's nice to get reminded of them with new music. I'm not digging the vocals too much, but whatever the music is good. The halfway point and on of Her Haunting Smile is great.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm 

The last song is the best, imo. It's something I could listen to all day long.

Doomedsludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:47 am 

Excellent Doom/Death/grind hybrid with a sprinkle of black:

Circle of dead children - Psalm of the Grand Destroyer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sVP1V3l_A

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Graveyard Dirt's new EP is out. Great stuff.

This is pretty good. I'm also not a huge fan of the vocals. I would prefer some standard growls, but they really don't detract too much from the music overall. I've been looking for some good new doom/death. This year hasn't had but a few good releases so this is a nice little surprise.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next