* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:16 am 

maxtrb8 wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some funeral doom with (only) clean vocals? I know it technically isn't really funeral doom without growls, but you get what I mean, something that sounds like funeral doom instrumentally but has clean vocals instead of growls. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

Have you heard Murkrat? They're a kind of known, but still vastly underrated gothic/funeral doom band from Australia with some outstanding clean, female vox.

Murkrat is a godd rec. Also: the latest of The Howling Void, very smooth and easy-listening, but very well crafted.

Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:46 am 

I found "Torrens Conscientium ‎– All Alone With The Thoughts" album very lovely and mournful :violin:
Great Doom/Death :oh shit:

Last edited by Grief_Of_Adoration on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grief_Of_Adoration
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:55 am 

"Crystal Darkness ‎– Ascend Saturnine Nebulae" for fans of Old "Anathema"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:27 am 

For the more melodic doom/death fans out there: anyone here a fan of In Ruins' Four Seasons of Grey? It's got quite an early Katatonia/October Tide vibe.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:43 pm 

The creepiest doom ever. Tell me.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:53 pm 

Might want to name some details but I'd say Disembowelment are creepy doom/death metal.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:38 pm 

First some drone/doom, this is supposed to be super creepy but it fails to get me - most people however seem very impressed with what the band is doing:

You probably know the Wormphlegm demo, another thing hailed as super creepy. Personally I'm more partial to the classic, but you probably also know it:

...and the entire Evil Genius compilation. Often referred to as black metal for the band's image and affiliations, it hovers somewhere between death metal and death/doom metal, with a very bleak, cavernous sound.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:10 pm 

So i gave Paradise Lost a try given the death/doom description, and started with what is considered their best album 'Icon'. I was expecting to hear some death/doom like Asphyx or whatnot and all i got was gothic rock with Hetfield on vocals.

So disappointing.

Edit. some leads were cool so there's that.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:34 pm 

They've changed a lot thorough their years though. For doom/death Paradise Lost, give the first two albums a go. The last album also has some doom/death crawling back into their sound again but also has plenty of gothic metal in it.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:50 pm 

colin040 wrote:
For the more melodic doom/death fans out there: anyone here a fan of In Ruins' Four Seasons of Grey? It's got quite an early Katatonia/October Tide vibe.

Really good stuff. I feel like I heard this band before but I don't have their albums in my collection. I'll be damned if I could figure out why I didn't like them. Their second album seems to be pretty hard to find though. I couldn't find it anywhere I looked aside from one song on Youtube.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
If we stick to the idea of the so-called "Peaceville sound", there's the UK band The Drowning. Still a bit weepy, but it also shows a raw edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAkaKdMb50

The Drowning is very good. They're working on a new album right now which I'm pretty stoked for. Also, their split with My Silent Wake (my personal favorite doom/death band) is absolutely stellar and one of my favorite releases of 2010.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 am 

so dark millennium are back again.
Wonder what will come out of that.

Deathwish238
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:35 pm 

colin040 wrote:

I'm liking this album, not very crushing, but enjoyable and melancholic. What else do you like similar to this? My favorite Death/Doom is probably Doom:VS - Dead Works Speak and Novembers Doom - Amid Its Hallowed Mirth.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:33 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Same goes for From the Mist of Dark Waters by Inferal Gates.

epicone1z
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:27 pm 

I need help with some good death doom metal bands in general. Which ones should i start with?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:10 am 

epicone1z wrote:
I need help with some good death doom metal bands in general. Which ones should i start with?

sempiternal deathreign
asphyx
paradise lost
my dying bride
The gathering's always album
Winter
Disembowelment
delirium

These are pretty much the founders of the various sounds within death/doom. There is plenty of newer stuff worth listening to as well however.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm 

My introduction to the genre was Morgion which I would definitely recommend. Their album Solinari is an absolute masterpiece. Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth is also spectacular.

I find myself listening to My Silent Wake much more. Their first three albums are my favorites of theirs; The Anatomy Of Melancholy would be a great spot to start with them (first disc is melodic doom/death and second is acoustic)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:08 pm 

Think the first death/doom band I really got into was Cianide, followed by Winter. The latter became my absolute favourite over time.

ds777fighter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm 

I'm looking for some good funeral doom with good clean (preferably male) vocals in rather English or French. Some examples of what I like (most probably not funeral doom) is Woods of Ypres, Wormfood, Surtr, Dark Sanctuary, and the Funeral from Norway. Also if they're good, I'd want to buy physical CDs of theirs, so bonus points if they have them.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:07 pm 

Check out Fallen. I'm not a big fan of them but many consider A Tragedy's Bitter End to be a masterpiece

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm 

Purabid wrote:
ds777fighter wrote:
I'm looking for some good funeral doom with good clean (preferably male) vocals in rather English or French. Some examples of what I like (most probably not funeral doom) is Woods of Ypres, Wormfood, Surtr, Dark Sanctuary, and the Funeral from Norway. Also if they're good, I'd want to buy physical CDs of theirs, so bonus points if they have them.

Check out Fallen. I'm not a big fan of them but many consider A Tragedy's Bitter End to be a masterpiece

Ditto on this. Fallen was actually a side project of Funeral.

I'm assuming that you are already familiar with My Dying Bride. Though they've never been funeral doom, they are definitely similar to bands like Woods of Ypres and Funeral. Their album, Angel and the Dark River, is considerably slow gothic doom with very dramatic clean singing. Not quite funeral doom, but definitely slow and depressive enough.

Eirð is clean-sung funeral doom in a manner very similar to Fallen.

The album Nightfall by The Howling Void is supposed to feature clean vocals. I don't know about his other albums though.

Pantheist has been known to mix chanted clean vocals with grunts. This track would perhaps be the best example of their early material.

Thaddaeus is a kind of gothic sounding funeral doom with some very nice clean lead singing.

Ras Algethi was perhaps the first band in which clean vocals were prominent alongside funeral doom, predating Funeral's Tristesse album by one year.

Also, if you were to have any interest in hearing female vocals alongside funeral doom or doom/death, there are plenty of great bands who pull such a sound off. Just off the top of my head, bands like The Slow Death, Murkrat, Skumring, Black Lodge, and latter era Unholy are all worth looking into if you are also open to the idea of hearing some mournful female cleans over unsettling, slow doom.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:14 am 

Speaking of female vocals over doom, don't forget Trees of Eternity :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:37 am 

metroplex wrote:
So i gave Paradise Lost a try given the death/doom description, and started with what is considered their best album 'Icon'. I was expecting to hear some death/doom like Asphyx or whatnot and all i got was gothic rock with Hetfield on vocals.

So disappointing.

Edit. some leads were cool so there's that.

Icon is a doom metal album, not a doom/death album. You are quite correct about the Hetfield description, it's the most obvious reference and I would say that generally the Black Album is the element that leads from Shades of God to Icon. Gothic "rock" however is rather limiting (and condescending) to describe the music. The two best songs on the album (by far), ie Embers Fire and True Belief (then Widow to make a top 3 imo) are not exactly Sisters of Mercy, they are FINE specimens of gothy DOOM METAL.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 pm 

Ehh, where are the doom metal riffs on Icon? The riffs are clearly different from SoG which is rather traditional doom influenced however.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:22 am 

colin040 wrote:
Ehh, where are the doom metal riffs on Icon? The riffs are clearly different from SoG which is rather traditional doom influenced however.

Icon is very much a gothic doom metal album, as far as I'm concerned. It's just as slow, oppressive and Sabbathy as Gothic, just without the death metal aspect of the equation.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm 

Is there anything similar to Darkapathy's Condemned In Black? Hooded Menace's Never Cross The Dead is the closest I've heard, but it's too slow. Thanks

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:12 am 

I love Disembowelment's sole album, I want to get into more death/funeral/doom that sounds like it. Where to begin? To start with i've already heard Inverloch, and i'm really into Shroud of the Heretic and Ceremonium as well.

Also, what are some of the other classics of the style? I like Skepticism.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:44 am 

Thergothon's sole album is an essential listen: it created the blueprints for the genre and still stands as my favorite album of it's kind! a song like "Elemental" can't be easily forgotten ;)

Other important bands are Esoteric (really trippy stuff: The pernicious enigma is insane!), Evoken (really popular, and it's easy to guess why: Antithesis of light is loaded with memorable sad melodies) the first Pantheist record (a very airy kind of funeral doom, drenched in church organs and soothing melodies) and mostly of Shape of Despair's discography (again a very melodic band, with tastefully done female vocals)

If you are searching for a cosmically evil atmosphere instead of melody, Tyranny it's perfect for the job!

I also add a personal favorite from my country that is almost forgotten: Void of Silence's Human Antithesis it's a funeral doom journey featuring Primordial's singer, themed around a more introspective view of the horrors of WW2.. the songs really give shivers!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:19 am 

All great recs! :nods: Let me just add Dusk's compilation, it's like Ceremonium but much better and with a bit more muscle.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 am 

I've read that Disembowelment was one of the main influences on Evoken, too.

For some reason, even though the style is very different, I always got kind of a Disembowelment feel from Ehnahre. I don't know how to describe it, something about that turbulence created by the juxtaposition of greatly contrasting speeds and the intense bleakness created by the riffs and sound.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:19 pm 

Forgive me, since I haven't read all 21 pages of this thread.

I'm looking for funeral doom that's really slow. I'm not looking for drone/doom, but actual funeral doom metal that's maybe 20bpm or something? For reference, consider Shape of Despair's music, just half speed.

Thanks in advance (if anything like this exists). :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 pm 

Slowest funeral doom I know is Solicide but it's not like Shape of Despair at all. :lol:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 pm 

Haha, fair enough, I'll check them out anyway. :)

EDIT: It's not bad, but not really what I'm after. Interesting music nonetheless. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:20 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Thergothon's sole album is an essential listen: it created the blueprints for the genre and still stands as my favorite album of it's kind! a song like "Elemental" can't be easily forgotten ;)

Other important bands are Esoteric (really trippy stuff: The pernicious enigma is insane!), Evoken (really popular, and it's easy to guess why: Antithesis of light is loaded with memorable sad melodies) the first Pantheist record (a very airy kind of funeral doom, drenched in church organs and soothing melodies) and mostly of Shape of Despair's discography (again a very melodic band, with tastefully done female vocals)

If you are searching for a cosmically evil atmosphere instead of melody, Tyranny it's perfect for the job!

I also add a personal favorite from my country that is almost forgotten: Void of Silence's Human Antithesis it's a funeral doom journey featuring Primordial's singer, themed around a more introspective view of the horrors of WW2.. the songs really give shivers!

I sampled tracks from all these today. My thoughts: I've always heard Thergothon but never got into them. Listening tonight though they finally clicked, I don't think I ever spent enough time trying to get into them.

Esoteric i've heard before as well, I like parts of it but others seem weird. I will have to give them more time later.

Evoken was alright, good melodies but seemed to be missing something. I will give the whole album a shot soon.

I didn't like the Pantheist really.

Which Shape of Despair album would you rec?

I liked what Tyranny songs I checked out, good dark stuff.

Void of Silence was cool, I like the vocals but sometimes I feel they don't match up with the music(not nearly as bad as Blood Revolt was in that regard though haha)

androdion wrote:
Let me just add Dusk's compilation, it's like Ceremonium but much better and with a bit more muscle.

This seems good but I like Ceremonium better.

droneriot wrote:

For some reason, even though the style is very different, I always got kind of a Disembowelment feel from Ehnahre. I don't know how to describe it, something about that turbulence created by the juxtaposition of greatly contrasting speeds and the intense bleakness created by the riffs and sound.

Which album?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:36 am 

Great! cool to know that something worked! :)

For Shape of Despair you can check out the latest 2015 one (wich was my funeral doom highlight alongside the new Skepticism) and Angels of Distress, but they don't really have a bad album if you are into their style :)

I also add the very popular Ahab: personally i'm not a great fan, but their first album has songs like "Old Thunder" wich are difficult to deny!

Ps: i remember to have listened to the first album of a russian band long time ago called Septic Mind: they were really solid and had a really dismal atmosphere, you may like them!

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:27 am 

Does Shape of Despair have a classic?

I actually like Ahab's first album a lot, haven't listened to it in years though.

and don't make fun of me but my absolute favourite death/doom release(well after Disembowelment) would have to be Daylight Dies- Dismantling Devotion.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:45 am 

Angels of Distress is probably their fans's most beloved work, but i find that the new album Monotony fields to be at least at the same level of quality!

that Daylight dies has actually a stunning high review score here, you are very probably not alone!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 am 

Please recommend something in the vein of Stabat Mater

Gorstak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:08 am 

Can anyone recommend me bands that use more nature-themed lyrics or atmosphere?

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm 

Gorstak wrote:
Can anyone recommend me bands that use more nature-themed lyrics or atmosphere?

That is a very broad request, so I will present you with some examples that I enjoy:

The Morningside is melodic death/doom metal.

Blood of the Black Owl is an eclectic combination of ritual ambient with funeral doom metal. I especially enjoy the shamanistic aesthetics.

Wyrd might also be something you find enjoyable, with their more recent albums being death/doom metal. If you by any chance enjoy black metal too, I would also highly recommend their early albums, especially Heathen and Huldrafolk.

Enjoy first!

By the way, I am also interested in hearing recommendations for funeral doom metal like Stabat Mater.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next