Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:26 pm 

dayyanum wrote:
Anyone know of some catchier death/funeral doom? Not just oppressive noise, but something melodically memorable (and by melody I generally mean more evil sounding melodies).

Unless you want to drop the funeral element, you are kind of in a tough spot, the only thing I can think of would be Loss which are funeralistic death/doom.

TheUnhinged wrote:
I would like to hear some majestic doom.

How does Fallen or Majesty work for you?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:32 pm 

Mournful Congregation from Australia are quite melodic and even catchy by funeral doom standards. Think Skepticism without the organ or weird production.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 pm 

So incredibly obvious I forgot all about them...

I guess Shape of Despair would be a good one to try also, maybe Woebegone Obscured too.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:42 pm 

Hi, I'm kinda new to funeral, what's a good entry point?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 am 

'Stormcrowfleet' or really anything by Skepticism should give you a general idea of the genre without being too inaccessible.

Thergothon's 'Stream From the Heavens' is one of FD's building blocks, but I wouldn't really recommend it for a beginner. The production is really lo-fi and the songs are extremely simplistic and repetitive, even by the standards of the genre. Still (mostly) great stuff though, really nails that atmosphere of sorrow.

Evoken is a little more death/doom, but their music still demonstrates the same basic characteristics as the aforementioned bands. I would highly recommend them as they're probably one of the best metal bands out there, in any genre.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:26 pm 

Ahab's debut is a fucking amazing album, and may very well be an awesomely great starting point!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Cicatrice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm 

I think people forget about Worships full length Dooom. I think its a very good album, personally. Maybe its not the best starting spot for funeral doom, but its certainly up there in my opinion.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 pm 

androdion wrote:
Despite being fairly well known I guess you could check out Evoken's Quietus? That album has "majestic" splashed all over it in my book. You can also check Before The Rain and early Process Of Guilt (first album).

Evoken is always good. I'm familiar with that album, and I do enjoy it. Also pretty familiar with Before the Rain. Their first album was a bit generic, but I enjoyed their second album Frail. Process of Guilt was pretty good, nice atmosphere.

Morphine1873 wrote:
Black Wreath, Why Angels Fall

I had heard of these bands before, but never given them proper listens. Pretty good stuff, I preferred Black Wreath by far. Why Angels Fall just didn't click for some reason.

Byrain wrote:
How does Fallen or Majesty work for you?

Familiar with both of these, and enjoy them both.

Thanks for the recs, you guys.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:03 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Ahab's debut is a fucking amazing album, and may very well be an awesomely great starting point!

Not really, Ahab is doom/death, he wants funeral doom... Ahab play in an entirely different court than Skepticisim, Shape of Despair, Worship, Catacombs, etc.

Cicatrice wrote:
I think people forget about Worships full length Dooom. I think its a very good album, personally. Maybe its not the best starting spot for funeral doom, but its certainly up there in my opinion.

I would suggest Terranean Wake before Dooom for a new listener.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 pm 

Byrain wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

Not really, Ahab is doom/death, he wants funeral doom... Ahab play in an entirely different court than Skepticisim, Shape of Despair, Worship, Catacombs, etc.

Cicatrice wrote:

I would suggest Terranean Wake before Dooom for a new listener.

I agree with all of that. 'Dooom' isn't the best thing Worship has done, it's even the worst imo (although maybe that isn't the reason why you suggest the latest album first). And Ahab aren't funeral doom. At all.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:02 pm 

I think Worship is a rather consistent band and doesn't really have a worst album, but I find that Terranean Wake to be a much more polished, concise & approachable album for a newcomer than Dooom. It also demonstrates the possible heights & uncompromising nature of funeral doom rather well. I think Skepticism is probably the best place to start with funeral doom, maybe the album Lead and Aether, Stormcrowfleet would be fine too.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:15 pm 

I‘ve been terribly disappointed by ‘Dooom’ (the lame title could have been a hint of the disaster to come already) ; it drags endlessly, the vocals’ overall rhythm is also a big issue for me: they’re bland and lack any kind of interesting variation. The whole album in fact is very basically structured without any really daring/original/captivating/strong idea. It’s a big let-down compared to the first one and that latest one, which are both absolute masterpieces. They’re all what ’Dooom’ isn’t in fact.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:55 pm 

If Ahab isn't funeral doom neither is, say, Evoken. You guys must be either tripping or making a very picky distinction between "funeral doom" and what MA has come to describe as "funeral doom/death".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:58 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
And Ahab aren't funeral doom. At all.

You remind me of that guy who said that Nasum weren't grindcore.

He was also pretty dumb.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:36 pm 

Its true though...having an opinion that contradicts yours does not make him dumb, that's some really lame reasoning man.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 pm 

Having an opinion that goes against a fact is in fact being dumb. But I'd very much like to know why you guys say that Ahab isn't funeral doom. I really would.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 am 

androdion wrote:
If Ahab isn't funeral doom neither is, say, Evoken. You guys must be either tripping or making a very picky distinction between "funeral doom" and what MA has come to describe as "funeral doom/death".

see: you get my point: Evoken aren't funeral doom either. Esoteric aren't either in case you're wondering. Listen to Skepticism and Mournful Congregation, then compare. I suppose you'll see what I mean, eventually. Or probably not.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:26 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
androdion wrote:

see: you get my point: Evoken aren't funeral doom either. Esoteric aren't either in case you're wondering. Listen to Skepticism and Mournful Congregation, then compare. I suppose you'll see what I mean, eventually. Or probably not.

You would be correct. I... yeah. Sure thing, buddy :scratch:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 am 

Probably not since I suppose you all know those bands and have been able to compare them at some point. If however you still think Evoken or Ahab play in the same league as Skepticism and Mournful Congregation, then, you probably won't see what I mean.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 pm 

Funeral doom can have death metal influences - Evoken has them, very obviously, but saying that Evoken isn't funeral doom would also be ridiculous. Pure death/doom, if nothing else, doesn't have such ridiculously slow tempos at all times.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:45 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
androdion wrote:

Oh hell, it's not like I have Skepticism's entire discography to be able to compare the bands. Oh wait... :oh shit:

So basically it's the second option from the two I listed above, you're making a very picky distinction between funeral doom and funeral doom/death, which is pretty ridiculous if I might say. Next you know you'll be picking on bands like Arcana Coelestia, Nortt, Reido or Elysian Blaze, just to name a few, and say "nah, they don't play funeral doom either". By your logic every death metal band past Possessed or Death's first couple of albums also isn't death metal but some sort of... whatever it is. Right?!

Leaving the headbutting aside for a minute, you do realize that there's one thing called a formula, which defines a genre, but there's also another called expansiveness, which as the word implies lets you expand said formula and still be within its boundaries. I think if anything else it's you who needs to listen to more of those bands, just so you can realize that they're pretty much following the same basic template with a few different nods here and there.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:24 pm 

Anyone know of something along the lines of a melodic doom/death like October Tide or Daylight Dies, but with black metal vocals rather than death metal ones? A couple searches for things like "melodic black doom" brought up a few dozen bands, but the only thing that really came close to what I'm after was the LP of Forlorn Path...

The main issue with a lot of the bands with 'black' in their genre/description was that they used more fast tempos and black metal style riffing than what I'm looking for.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:27 pm 

Kind of a long shot, but have you tried Katatonia's debut album?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:45 am 

androdion wrote:

Leaving the headbutting aside for a minute, you do realize that there's one thing called a formula, which defines a genre, but there's also another called expansiveness, which as the word implies lets you expand said formula and still be within its boundaries. I think if anything else it's you who needs to listen to more of those bands, just so you can realize that they're pretty much following the same basic template with a few different nods here and there.

To each his own personal interpretation. I'mnot only talking of a musical identity but of an intention and overall atmosphere; as far as such an emotive genre is concerned, that is key. Funeral doom is not death doom. There's a focus on mournful atmospheres in funeral doom. That is what the genre is about. Restraint and introspection.
I agree that you can expand the definition and bring in some foreign elements, but the emotional core is all there is to consider at the end.
Evoken know where they come from: Winter, Dusk, Thergothon; there never were and are not a funeral doom band. Themselves don't want to be seen as such, I quote Vince from Evoken:

Quote:
Let’s try to cut short a recurring debate: are you a Funeral Doom band or a Death Doom band?

I know there is cliché answer most bands give “we don’t like labels” but, to be labelled is part of playing music. From day one, we have always considered ourselves a Death/Doom band. I have read many of review that classifies us as a Funeral Doom band, and of course they have their rights to an opinion but, we never felt we fall under this classification. I’m not sure when that started, maybe it was ‘Quietus” but, even though we have some Funeral Doom aspects, I don’t believe we are.

I'd like to know how Byrain would explain his stance on the matter. That's how I see it though. Death doom is a large, flexible concept. It’s already the meeting of two styles. There are too many differences between death doom bands not to use some subbtle distinctions when describing their sound and giving a label (melodic death doom, gothic, symphonic, industrial, extreme). But funeral doom is a league of its own, really. That’s how I perceive it.

Edit : about slowness ; yes, funeral doom is based on very slow structures, but that slowness is there to serve a purpose, an emotional intention - loss, introspection, doom, decay to some extent. I think funeral doom is the least ‘metal’ of all metal genres and maybe the most visual and symbolic one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:50 am 

Do you know a band called Moonspell? You probably do since they're big and famous worldwide. I've witnessed their frontman state several times that "Moonspell is a heavy metal band". That's just a small example to try and show you that we should take what musicians say about their own music with a pinch of salt. Really, they're the artists and all and it's mostly the people around them (i.e. media/fans) that have created genre tags over the course of time. So I'm really not that surprised if a band says they play whatever when that isn't quite so.

I get what you mean by your post, and I do understand your opinion and how you perceive the different genre tags. But the thing is, you're basically saying that doom/death can have different elements and sway a bit from the basic pattern, while still being doom/death at heart, but funeral doom can never do such a thing since it's already in a niche. Now this is where we differ, and to cite some of the bands I listed above, how can you not consider Elysian Blaze or Reido funeral doom bands? Just because one has opted to apply a raw black metal aesthetic to the typical solemn atmosphere and funereal pace of (you guessed it) funeral doom, while the other added some sludge overtones in the guitars and the way the rhythm of said guitars functions (mind you I'm talking solely about their debut here), how are they anything but funeral doom at heart? You remind me mildly of those guys who cry out that black metal is just the satanic "northern" wintry variant because that's what it's all about. Doom/death is expansive in its nature, and believe it or not funeral doom can also be expansive. Granted it can't expand to much places without overlapping with other genres, but the basic template will still be that of funeral doom.

By the way, compare Skepticism to Tyranny, just for kicks. One has a solemn and mostly tranquil atmosphere, while the later will have you drowning in suffocating drones all the way through. And yet, they're both funeral doom right?! That right there is an example of the "expansiveness" I've been talking about. If that wasn't so then all funeral doom bands would sound like Thergothon!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 pm 

Well screw it, I'm checking Skepticism, Ahab and Evoken, pure funeral or not. Thanks for the recs!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Well screw it, I'm checking Skepticism, Ahab and Evoken, pure funeral or not. Thanks for the recs!

Not a funeral doom album by any stretch, but if you haven't (and this applies to anyone), check out Disembowelment's Transcendence of the Peripheral - it's got the sort of atmosphere which makes it feel like something of a prologue to the funeral doom genre, despite not being of that genre itself. I found that the record really set the scene for my enjoyment of the slow-extreme-atmospheric triad.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:49 pm 

Absolutely. I can only bring myself to listen to it every so often, but it is a classic for sure. Almost spiritual, in an odd way.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
yeah, yeah, I'm a liar; they're a a doom band, and you're the best; kisses.
it's dark and slow, and you're right I don't feel any kind of impending doom in their brand of jazz. Sorry. Doom has to crush, it's HEAVY. Where's the heaviness in Bohren?
Come on, You can't call "doom" anything that crawls. That term has really become a silly mixed bag; that's a pity.

It's not doom metal dude, it's DOOMY. Not that hard to grasp. Doom jazz feels alright as a tag.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 am 

So... Any good death/doom or funeral doom albums in 2014 so far? Wounded Kings and Conan have the more traditional side of doom pretty well sewn up right now, but I'm also wondering about the more extreme stuff - I like both.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 am 

Funeral Moth's "Dense Fog" appeals to me with its austere minimalism. You can always try that if you're looking for good funeral doom released in 2014.

Frankcool
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am 

Check out Suffer Yourself, they released their debut this year. Pretty original stuff, while keeping a nice old-school death doom style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LP1VO4eVy8

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:43 am 

Thanks for getting me started. I'll have to look into this some more.

Draken91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:37 am 

Unsure if they've been mentioned on this thread before but they deserve one anyway! Pretty epic funeral doom, Solemn They Await.

LORDCOPROMONSTER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:14 pm 

Looking for a doom/death masterpiece: Old-school feel, not technical but very well-done and expressive melodies, atmospheric riffs, and some catchiness, vampiryc/occult feeling... and if possible, i'd like an audible bass.
Thankssss

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
So... Any good death/doom or funeral doom albums in 2014 so far? Wounded Kings and Conan have the more traditional side of doom pretty well sewn up right now, but I'm also wondering about the more extreme stuff - I like both.

I really like the new Doom:VS. There's nothing in it that is unique or innovative, but it is very well-played melodic, sorrowful doom/death. In fact, for me it's really the only doom/death album I've heard so far this year I've liked. It's been pretty slow for me.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:37 am 

Hey guys, any recommendations for collossal-sounding, heavy-as-fuck but dynamic (be it tempo-changes, themes/narratives, just having some sort of discernible progression) doom metal? The timbre and sound of Stomach Earth posted earlier sounds fucking fantastic in this regard, but the main inspiration for this recommendation is something like Year Of No Light's "Tocsin", particularly the song "Stella Rectrix":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFYTNXaP5U#t=1812

Post-rock elements are welcome too, but not necessary by any means.

Thanks!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 am 

Are Sol any good? Any bands they can be compared to and what's their best album?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:45 pm 

Profetus are back with a new album, ...to Open the Passages in Dusk was pretty awesome. To check out!

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Pr ... Die/411442

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 pm 

Looking for any kind of melodic Doom that incorporates beautiful and longing melodies like that of Forest of Shadow's Where Dreams Turn to Dust EP. Harmonizing guitars and acoustic guitars are a plus.
The chorus is a good example of what I am looking for. (skip to 2:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt0g8kxPV0

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next