Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm 

Got the OK from Metantoine to start a seperate help thread for these two genres because I think they don't really fit in the Doom/Stoner/Sludge help thread. Let's do our best to keep it active. :)

Thread rules (work in progress):

This is not the FFA thread. This thread is for death/doom and funeral doom, and only death/doom and funeral. A no-brainer? Apparently not. What this means is that we don't discuss other genres here, nor do we make requests or give recommendations for other genres. For example, while it is perfectly fine for you to like Katatonia's material best and don't care for their death/doom material, you don't use this thread for asking for similar stuff to Last Fair Deal Gone Down. This is not the thread for it. Likewise, when someone asks for death/doom inspired by Celtic Frost, you don't go recommending early Obituary. Yes, they are heavily influenced by Celtic Frost, but they are not death/doom and have no place in this thread. Or if someone asks for "crushing" death/doom or funeral doom, you don't go recommending Corrupted. Yes, they are "crushing", but they are a sludge band and belong in the sludge help thread. Any post deviating from this simple-as-possible ground rule should be reported as off-topic.

I'm gonna start by cross-posting the request I made in the D/S/S help thread:

droneriot wrote:
Can somebody recommend me some funeral doom with (only) clean vocals? I know it technically isn't really funeral doom without growls, but you get what I mean, something that sounds like funeral doom instrumentally but has clean vocals instead of growls. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by droneriot on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:44 pm 

Yo Drone! I hope you guys gonna make the help threads more alive! I'm gonna sticky this thread :)

Anyway, here's my rec for you, later Pantheist, it's more progressive doom, but they were a funeral doom band before and you can still feel this in their music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSPc6q8-Ls A song from their 2011 album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sharkuu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm 

Fallen is a funeral doom band that uses only (very low sounding) clean vocals.

I also know about the one-woman funeral doom band ''Believe In Nothing'', there is very little information about this band, but I am certain that the band only uses clean vocals too.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm 

Sharkuu wrote:
Fallen is a funeral doom band that uses only (very low sounding) clean vocals.

I also know about the one-woman funeral doom band ''Believe In Nothing'', there is very little information about this band, but I am certain that the band only uses clean vocals too.

Here's a link to one of Believe in Nothing's demos. Reminds me a lot of Worship, minus the harsh vocals. Pretty depressing stuff.

Grove, Herodias, and Skumring also combine funeral doom with clean vocals. Same goes for Murkrat's new album.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 pm 

YES

Edit: okay cody let's not be useless :roll:
you guys should check out Fungoid Stream; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNTAlQLZZg&feature=relmfu
awesome, kinda wierd lovecraftian funeral doom
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am 

Is there such a thing as grind/doom? Or at least death/doom where the death metal influences feels more like deathgrind?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 am 

I'd like to hear some bands that sound like Fungoid Stream, if they exist.

Also, I've been meaning to get more into the so-called "torture doom" style. I've only heard Wormphlegm and Lordamor so far, but they're both great. What bands should I check out?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:02 am 

Marag wrote:
Is there such a thing as grind/doom? Or at least death/doom where the death metal influences feels more like deathgrind?

diSEMBOWELMENT is like a grind band disguising itself as funeral doom.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:31 am 

Prophecy of Doom was a deathgrind band that slowed the fuck down on their second album Matrix.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 am 

Marag wrote:

Lord Of Putrefaction, one of Jus Oborn's pre-Electric Wizard bands, was insanely heavy doom/death with a raw grind feel in places. It may not be exactly what you're after, but hey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwyE9Ew4CmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGXFEAMWcU

Edit:
I also remember the Anaal Nathrakh-related Mistress being a kind of doom/grind affair, though I haven't heard them in years.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 am 

The_Erlking wrote:

Actually, Rigor Sardonicous fit that description better. ;)

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 am 

I'm searching for any funeral doom strictly in the vein of Evoken with different tempo changes (emphasis here), and if applicable perhaps a little melody in the vein of their albums Atra Mors and Quietus. Thank you in advance!

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 am 

The_Erlking wrote:

I'm already familiar with disembowelment. I was thinking of something more along the lines of "grinding doom" rather than doom with grind parts though.

balbulus wrote:
Lord Of Putrefaction

droneriot wrote:
Rigor Sardonicous

Those are closer to what I had in mind

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am 

Veracs wrote:
I'm searching for any funeral doom strictly in the vein of Evoken with different tempo changes (emphasis here), and if applicable perhaps a little melody in the vein of their albums Atra Mors and Quietus. Thank you in advance!

There's that Evoken copycat: Tetramorphe Impure. Not bad, but they stole pretty much everything from Evoken.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am 

How about some melodic death/doom like Paradise Lost's Icon, Tiamat's Clouds, or Rapture? The more melodic the better, clean vocals or growls, it doesn't matter.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 am 

Jophelerx, maybe try Visceral Evisceration? I find them to be very melodic.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:21 am 

Marag wrote:
The_Erlking wrote:

I'm already familiar with disembowelment. I was thinking of something more along the lines of "grinding doom" rather than doom with grind parts though.

Try Neon Hole... they may be a bit more sludge than doom but they mix the slow and fast pretty well, might be something you dig.
http://neonhole.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:47 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
How about some melodic death/doom like Paradise Lost's Icon, Tiamat's Clouds, or Rapture? The more melodic the better, clean vocals or growls, it doesn't matter.

Whoa hey, is it time for me to shamelessly plug The Slow Death again? I think it is!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Jophelerx, maybe try Visceral Evisceration? I find them to be very melodic.

YES
One of the best death/doom albums! So fucking great.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:48 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:

Have you heard Horrified's In the Garden of the Unearthly Delights album? Amazing romantic death/doom in the vein of early Anathema, Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. Very melodic.

Horrified - Dying Forest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjlI-YKZRQ
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Sharkuu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:59 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Also, I've been meaning to get more into the so-called "torture doom" style. I've only heard Wormphlegm and Lordamor so far, but they're both great. What bands should I check out?

Funeralium and Planet AIDS.

Jophelerx wrote:

Daylight Dies, Barren Earth, Forest Of Shadows and Swallow The Sun.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm 

Marag wrote:

Maybe Sea of Deprivation. But that's stretching it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Bunkur :p
Don't hate me forever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:28 pm 

I am a huge fan of Autopsy's Mental Funeral, Disembowelment's Transcendence Into the Peripheral, and Incantation's Mortal Throne Of Nazarene. Is there anything out there that kind of combines elements from all those albums? As far as lyrical content I'd prefer it to either be dreamy, abstract stuff like D's Transcendence or intelligent blasphemy like Mortal Throne.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm 

Hot damn, Horrified is excellent! Thanks Erlking, more recs like this please. I'm not sure yet about Visceral Evisceration, the gore-y subject matter isn't usually what I look for in death/doom, but the music seems good. I need to give it a little more time before I can tell what I think about it.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:56 pm 

Are there any funeral doom bands where the main are vocals more akin to a black metal shriek, rather then the usual low growls?

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I'd like to hear some bands that sound like Fungoid Stream, if they exist.

Fungoid Stream is the shit haha
I can't think of any bands in the same genre that are that brand of.. um.. 'esoteric' I guess. idk FS is wierd imo.
but if you're into lovecraftian funeral doom, since FS is lovecraftian funeral doom, you might like Catacombs. More traditional funeral doom sound but it's good nonetheless.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 pm 

mike40k wrote:
Are there any funeral doom bands where the main are vocals more akin to a black metal shriek, rather then the usual low growls?

Maybe Nortt? He uses some shrieks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRAhU3nKm8

Arcana Coelestia uses black metal vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqj117yTBJk

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:

I'll throw Helevorn's latest in. Melodic doom/death, reminds me of a mix of the Peaceville big 3, Finnish melodoom giants, and a bit of Moonspell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pznkDLaT7d4

EDIT: Maybe try Yearning as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2dmNgLzeYE
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
I am a huge fan of Autopsy's Mental Funeral, Disembowelment's Transcendence Into the Peripheral, and Incantation's Mortal Throne Of Nazarene. Is there anything out there that kind of combines elements from all those albums? As far as lyrical content I'd prefer it to either be dreamy, abstract stuff like D's Transcendence or intelligent blasphemy like Mortal Throne.

Sonne Adam are said to be a cross between Autopsy and Incantation. No Disembowelment in their sound, though. Still, very good stuff, might be to your liking.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:33 am 

droneriot wrote:
MGSX666 wrote:

Sonne Adam are said to be a cross between Autopsy and Incantation. No Disembowelment in their sound, though. Still, very good stuff, might be to your liking.

Yeah, great band. I really need to sit down and give them a solid listen soon.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:23 am 

mike40k wrote:

Senthil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j16sjX3ZiAM

Bosque (more raspy-shrill growls than shrieks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u5EBt1Jpwg

Nivathe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3P05luwNDg

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:52 pm 

My original thread got locked, for good reason, now that I've seen this thread. Here's my original post:

Syntek wrote:
Specifically, I'm looking for bands such as Colosseum, Doom:VS, the first half of Black Sun Aeon's "Routa", and Swallow the Sun. Also Forest Stream and The Foreshadowing, at a stretch.

Other than these bands I've never found something polished enough and emotionally satisfying to keep me engrossed for a whole album. I've tried to get into Nox Aurea and Saturnus a few times, but they seemed too generic for me when I was giving them a listen.
Keep it either modern doom/death or funeral doom also, as I doubt stoner or traditional doom has anything in terms of what I'm looking for.

Anyway, it'd be good to see what you guys've got.

Any recs would be appreciated! :)

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 pm 

I need more sinister/evil funeral doom like The Funeral Orchestra or Catacombs. not sad shit (sad shits cool too but I need EVILLLL).
like that kind of Candlemassy sinisterness. but funeral doom.
If you don't know what I mean just look up The Funeral Orchestra and you'll get it.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 pm 

I've always been slightly curious about death/doom, but never really took the time to investigate. Are there any more examples of blackish doom like this Bongripper song?

Also, just as a general recommendation, if there is any death/doom with sparkly clean production and live violin/viola/cello/contrabass, I'd love to hear it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Bunkur :p
Don't hate me forever.

You shall now face my eternal contempt! Haha, I seriously don't understand why you hate them that much, to me they just seem a bit boring.

@Sharkuu, thanks man. I already know Planet AIDs, just forgot to mention them in my post (better than their name would imply). As for Funeralium I'm listening now and they seem pretty cool.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 pm 

Because they literally play one riff for an hour, and it's not even a good riff!

But seriously, I would recommend Ataraxie. They're not exactly ''torture doom'' but they're awesome extreme doom.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
I need more sinister/evil funeral doom like The Funeral Orchestra or Catacombs. not sad shit (sad shits cool too but I need EVILLLL).
like that kind of Candlemassy sinisterness. but funeral doom.
If you don't know what I mean just look up The Funeral Orchestra and you'll get it.

Not exactly funeral doom but have you checked Disembowelment? Few albums are more choking and claustrophobic than Transcendence Into The Peripheral! And that one can become turtle slow...

WingedOctopus wrote:
I've always been slightly curious about death/doom, but never really took the time to investigate. Are there any more examples of blackish doom like this Bongripper song?

Also, just as a general recommendation, if there is any death/doom with sparkly clean production and live violin/viola/cello/contrabass, I'd love to hear it.

I was listening earlier to Elysian Blaze and if you don't mind a sort of lo-fi production then you might want to give them a shot. I nearly shat my pants listening to Levitating The Carnal. Coincidently this might be a good rec for Suffersystem as well. ;)

As for your second request have you tried My Dying Bride? Probably the most obvious rec ever though...

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:07 am 

WingedOctopus wrote:

How about this genre classic?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/My ... _Swans/649

The Songless Bird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1IEgtK0J2E

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:18 am 

MDB is pretty obvious, yeah. Early Celestial Season has strings, too, but I don't know if they're using the actual instruments or synths, only listened to them once to discover they're not my cup of tea.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next