Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:16 am 

winteragain wrote:
does anyone know any funeral band with violins ? does such a thing exist?

Colosseum

Shape of Despair (though they're not quite as prominent)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 pm 

Here's one with a violin.

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:20 pm 

TheUnhinged: Colosseum I know well ,

Shape of Despair also know them very well , the second album is one of my favorites , they have a lot of violins and cellos on the backgrounds on that one

WilyTank: I know funeral the band , dont like much.

androdion: yes that was I was looking for , a funeral band with a full time violinist.

I really thought someone might have thought of something like that since violins and cellos can be great atmosphere , damn!

Last edited by winteragain on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm 

Yeah, that's what I thought you'd be after. As far as I know such a thing doesn't exist. But maybe someone already came up with such a band, somewhere, and I wasn't informed. :P

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:55 pm 

Anything similar to Black Spring Monolith?

If that's too vague, let me try to explain what I like about it: There's the "catchy" element. It's kinda hard to find catchy doom metal, I guess. Then there's the fact that it's not actually that slow paced as most of death doom bands, it's what? Mid paced I believe. The memorability is also a big plus, I can enjoy the song as it progresses even with a low attention spam (if that makes any sense) And last but not least there's the melodic element. The songs are not raw, but have lots of melodic elements on it.

So any recs on that line?

Amjs2000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:04 pm 

Does anybody know any funeral doom/death or death/doom bands that are a lot like band Remembrance? I want bands that have a guy and female like they do.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 am 

Amjs2000 wrote:
Does anybody know any funeral doom/death or death/doom bands that are a lot like band Remembrance? I want bands that have a guy and female like they do.

Beating Zelkiiro to the essential recommendation for The Slow Death.

Funeral basically started the concept of extreme doom with female vocals, and it's done extremely well.

Remembrance seems to take a lot of their influence from Shape of Despair, and though the band's use of female vocals aren't as predominate, they're definitely similar and worth mentioning.

If you want to go into the harsher end of death/doom metal with female vocals, I'd recommend you try Paradigma, Black Lodge, and Unholy's final album, Gracefallen.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:25 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Beating Zelkiiro to the essential recommendation for The Slow Death.

YOU MONSTER.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 pm 

I pretty much never visit this thread, and I only skimmed this page and the last one to see if this band has been brought up, so forgive me if this is recent discussion.

I want to talk about the band Tristitia. This is a band I discovered over a decade ago, while they were still active. I discovered them, like I discovered so many doom bands back then, by browsing doom-metal.com's band list and checking out bands whose names caught my eye. Tristitia was one of them. When I listened to the sound sample provided on doom-metal.com, I was entranced. Not only by the music, but especially by the vocals. The song was Christianic Indulgence from their second album Crucidiction. My days of browsing doom-metal.com was actually a lot of my first exposure to underground metal, so I was not used to these vocals, which were basically mixing low baritone cleans with back metal rasps. But I loved it. So over the next couple or so years I acquired all four of their non-demo albums. But to be completely honest with you, I didn't listen to them much.

Today, I went through those four albums to see if I would be interested in selling any of them, so I listened to them back-to-back, in chronological order. I was surprised by how much I still liked the first two, One With Darkness and Crucidiction. The vocals didn't entrance as much as they did in my early doom metal days, but I still enjoyed them. However, I think I actually enjoyed the music more today than I used to. Metal Archives describes their genre as "blackened doom metal," But I think changing it to "blackened gothic/doom metal" would be more appropriate, at least for the first two albums, because of the baritone vocals, prominent use of keys, and uses of strings, and just a generally mournful tone.

Other than the above qualities, one feature of this band that always stood out to me were the guitar harmonies. Some of the riffing guitar harmonies remind me of early Trouble (!), while the lead guitar harmonies are beautiful and mournful. There's a couple passages throughout the first two albums with death metal-like drumming. There's also some nice use of classical styled guitar. Here are a couple songs from these two albums:

Tristitia - Reminiscences of the Mourner

Tristitia - Christianic Indulgence

Their third album, The last Grief, saw a change in vocalists, and a slightly less focus on the keys. This made it seem less gothic, and maybe bordering on epic doom at times. There's also a couple times where there's death metal-like drumming, and even an instrumental with death metal riffing! It was still decent, but not as good as the first two albums. Here is a song from that album:

Tristitia - Darknia: The Last Grief

Their fourth and so far final album, Garden of Darkness, sees another change in vocalists. This time the vocalist is exclusively a death growler, so I think this album pretty much qualifies as death doom. It also has some musically death metally passages. In my opinion, this is their worst album. Not very good.

Anyway, like I said, I pretty much never visit this thread. That is because years ago, my interest in traditional doom completely eclipsed my interest in death doom and funeral doom, and I paid virtually no attention to either of the two latter genres except for new My Dying Bride releases. I usually lurk the doom/stoner/sludge thread instead. I actually wanted to share Tristitia in that thread, but felt they were more on topic and probably more likely to be well received here in the death/doom and funeral doom thread. I would like the opinions of people in this thread if you think by the links I provided above, or your general knowledge of the band, if you have any is Tristitia on topic enough for the doom/stoner/sludge thread?

dragonzrmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:58 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for melodic death-doom bands with gothic touches and some atmosphere in the veins of Swallow The Sun, Touch Of Eternity and Saturnus, preferably with some use of violins, and most importantly a very emotional/poignant feel.
Not too slow or perhaps a little faster paced than usual doom, with a mixture of clean and growled male vocals. Catchy melodies in the almost cheesy way that Katatonia, Swallow The Sun and Saturnus seem to do it.
I know it's quite specific and might be a tall order, but my music tastes are becoming rather fickle, so sorry about that. Thanks :D

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 am 

dragonzrmetal wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for melodic death-doom bands with gothic touches and some atmosphere in the veins of Swallow The Sun, Touch Of Eternity and Saturnus, preferably with some use of violins, and most importantly a very emotional/poignant feel.
Not too slow or perhaps a little faster paced than usual doom, with a mixture of clean and growled male vocals. Catchy melodies in the almost cheesy way that Katatonia, Swallow The Sun and Saturnus seem to do it.
I know it's quite specific and might be a tall order, but my music tastes are becoming rather fickle, so sorry about that. Thanks :D

for me , early Lacrimas Profundere cannot and will never be beaten in that style , the first three albums are perfect , dont listen past burning a wish. Early Anathema is refered all the time but for me it doesnt cut it , Lacrimas had a particular style , a little more gothic , and melancholic. I´m yet to find anything very similar to them. And you always have My Dying Bride but you probably know them.

Last edited by winteragain on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:49 am 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought you'd be after. As far as I know such a thing doesn't exist. But maybe someone already came up with such a band, somewhere, and I wasn't informed. :P

Yes I was hoping for some kind of Skepticism with cellos or something low in the background eheh.. too bad. Would be great. Only noticed now we are from the same country , so greetings! :) thanks for the recommendations!

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm 

winteragain wrote:

Hmm... Not quite a violin but I remember encountering a funeral doom band which employed cello as an integral part of their sound but the name escapes me. One of their albums had a near long song and it was quite excellent. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Also, there's this band. Not amazing but quite interesting and including cellos and other unusual instruments.

https://narrowhouse.bandcamp.com/album/thanathonaut

Edit: Got it! The band I was thinking of is Asunder from the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKJy6P32ww

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Last edited by the_bard_of_osyrhia on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 pm 

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
Hmm... Not quite a violin but I remember encountering a funeral doom band which employed cello as an integral part of their sound but the name escapes me. One of their albums was an hour long song and it was quite excellent. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Are you thinking of Asunder?

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Hmm... Not quite a violin but I remember encountering a funeral doom band which employed cello as an integral part of their sound but the name escapes me. One of their albums was an hour long song and it was quite excellent. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Are you thinking of Asunder?

Indeed I was! Thanks. Their name cropped up when I googled funeral doom cello as well. Great band!

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

winteragain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:19 pm 

winteragain wrote:

Hmm... Not quite a violin but I remember encountering a funeral doom band which employed cello as an integral part of their sound but the name escapes me. One of their albums had a near long song and it was quite excellent. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Also, there's this band. Not amazing but quite interesting and including cellos and other unusual instruments.

https://narrowhouse.bandcamp.com/album/thanathonaut

Edit: Got it! The band I was thinking of is Asunder from the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKJy6P32ww

yes I mentioned violins but cellos are even better! I think they probably marry very well with funeral! going to check them out , thanks a lot!!

Vastlands
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:55 am 

Can you recommend me funeral doom with traditional black metal vocals? I'm digging the whole funeral doom formula, but the guttural mumbling is really turning me off.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm 

Maybe Nortt or especially Elysian Blaze.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Vastlands
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:58 pm 

Thank you, but I'm not impressed with Nortt, to be honest. Underwhelming ambient music with too much electronic shit thrown in.

Good vocals, though. :P

lostnightsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:55 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
Need horror movie inspired doom metal. I only know Acid Witch

You might want to try Wraith of the Rope's "Ada" off Total Rust Records. It has a decent funeral doom feel to it, but also has a fair Goblin feel to it as well. I have mixed feelings to it as it to me was just horror metal, the doom metal aspect of it seemed almost obligatory.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 pm 

Been listening to God Forsaken's Dismal Gleams of Desolation lately and it's pretty cool. Some songs on the album are typical early 90's ''mournful'' doom/death while plenty of other tracks feature more groove. The latter makes me think of what Paradise Lost's Shades of God could have sounded like hadn't it abandoned the death metal vocals.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 pm 

I have been searching for some funeral doom with a ritualistic feel to it. Stuff in the same as Blood of the Black Owl. But not blackened. Also no vocals. Any recommendations of the sort?

lostnightsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 am 

titan_v wrote:
I have been searching for some funeral doom with a ritualistic feel to it. Stuff in the same as Blood of the Black Owl. But not blackened. Also no vocals. Any recommendations of the sort?

That's a bit tough, I've always thought of Blood of the Black Owl to having a sort of "Shamanistic" feel to it. When I think "ritual" I think of a fair amount of dark ambient, neo-classical bands/projects on the Cold Meat Industry label except they are not metal, even some of the acts of the Projekt label, which is mostly ethereal, goth, and ambient music to have a ritual feel to it. Also from a technical aspect, in funeral doom bands who are using drum machines and really keeping it at a very slow pace it, perhaps unintentionally, has a "ritual" feel to it.

I gave a quick glance over some CDs I have, but what comes to mind at the moment would be Amort's contribution to the split with Ives (not funeral doom), but even Amort's track "In Bed With Decay" is quite as funeral doom as previous output. It's about 14 minutes that is mostly dark ambient, but the slow riff that is played sparsely throughout the track barely puts it into the funeral realm. There are vocals, growled ones, but very minimal. One strange thing about the track is the use of horns / wind instruments, it sounds almost like a saxophone, but DON'T expect any kind of jazz fusion or anything like that. It's more like they are blown with full air and with no real attempt to hit a note, so it sounds like a painful wail. It's quite a bizarre effect.

I may have to do some more listening, but that is what comes to might right off.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 pm 

titan_v wrote:

Maybe Nest's cover of The Gallant Crow?

Speaking of which, Skepticism has a few songs that have a ritualistic feel that definitely isn't blackened, though you might already know that. It's a little difficult to think of something that you're looking for with zero vocals, though. Nonetheless, the song below is probably Skepticism's most ritualistic song, in my opinion.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 am 

I'm looking for some death/doom that is FIRMLY rooted in the death metal side of things. Think along the lines of Vainaja https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhTHaH3TgHQ, Stomach Earth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3XkLGh-23g, Fuoco Fatuo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXUq1Q14pw and Famishgod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDtG7LOArEfor some newer bands, or Rippikoulu's demo or early Cianide for a couple of older examples. Early Asphyx works too. Doomy death metal would work as well. I'm aware this has been asked before, but I've sort of exhausted most of the well-known bands that play this sort of death/doom so am familiar with most of the recs previously mentioned in this thread.

I'd also absolutely love to hear something similar to Swallowed's latest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTOOfLSRzQ or something like Process of Guilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95A-4skjBe0

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 pm 

Although I reckon Stomach Earth has been in existence long before Doomed, the death doom one-man band from Germany, the latter put out a first album before Stomach Earth actually did. The similarities in sound, voice, moods are striking and my preference goes to Doomed.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 pm 

titan_v wrote:

Not funeral doom (but I don't classify BOTBO as FD either), but Dolorian definitely convey that shamanic, otherwordly tribal feel you're after. They're Black Doom though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm 

I'd like to drop this in here.

I really dig the first main riff on this. This whole album is really good, though it's not all funeral doom.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:10 am 

@Morphine: Thanks for the rec but I'm already familiar with Germany's Doomed. I actually prefer Stomach Earth to them but they're not bad at all.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:18 am 

Wilytank wrote:
I'd like to drop this in here.

I really dig the first main riff on this. This whole album is really good, though it's not all funeral doom.

Not bad at all, I may look into this project more. Thanks for sharing. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:23 am 

I'm looking for some peaceville style death/doom in the vein of mid-era My Dying Bride: crushingly heavy riffs, really dark atmosphere and weepy melodic stuff in great balance.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXsc_lQH9rU

Most similar bands are far too heavy on the weepy, wistful stuff. It should be driven by heavy riffs or really sinister atmosphere, with some scarce melodic parts like the chorus here.

Thanks!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:10 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for some peaceville style death/doom in the vein of mid-era My Dying Bride: crushingly heavy riffs, really dark atmosphere and weepy melodic stuff in great balance.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXsc_lQH9rU

Most similar bands are far too heavy on the weepy, wistful stuff. It should be driven by heavy riffs or really sinister atmosphere, with some scarce melodic parts like the chorus here.

Thanks!

I thought of this because it has just been released: Lachrimatory's Transient is old-school sounding death doom adorned with very melodic cello lines. I think it might be what you're after.
Other than that, there're many bands that could do the trick as well, off the top of my head, Stone Wings, Revelations of Rain, Ahab, Desire, Fall of Empyrean etc...

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 pm 

Hey all, need some recommendations.

Looking for some death doom somewhat like a really slowed down Grave or Bloodbath. Old school swedish death metal but really slow and groovy.

It seems like all of the death/doom I find is too far toward the 'moody' side of things, with gothic and/or sorrowful undertones.

Minor key, riff-based, slow doom with growled vocals basically.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:05 am 

Freshcrawl's debut Descend Into Absurd might be something you like

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:55 am 

dayyanum: Something like Cianide? Also check out this band I did some vocals for: http://gloamingdoom.bandcamp.com/

Morphine1873 wrote:
I thought of this because it has just been released: Lachrimatory's Transient is old-school sounding death doom adorned with very melodic cello lines. I think it might be what you're after.
Other than that, there're many bands that could do the trick as well, off the top of my head, Stone Wings, Revelations of Rain, Ahab, Desire, Fall of Empyrean etc...

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of those worked for me. Too saccharine and not enough heavy menacing riffs, or dark atmosphere. Desire had some, but not enough, and unfortunately I didn't quite like them otherwise. Lachrimatory was the best out of them.

dayyanum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:28 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
dayyanum: Something like Cianide? Also check out this band I did some vocals for: http://gloamingdoom.bandcamp.com/

Cianide is waaaay too fast, that's basically just death metal. Gloaming was pretty rad but not necessarily what I'm going for.

The beginning of this song by Nile is somewhat of a good fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lta-5A7TUmE

And this for the tempo and riffy headbanginess of the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I84762UVKSg

Basically slow, groovy death metal. Not quite funeral doom slow, but getting there.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:50 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Morphine1873 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of those worked for me. Too saccharine and not enough heavy menacing riffs, or dark atmosphere. Desire had some, but not enough, and unfortunately I didn't quite like them otherwise. Lachrimatory was the best out of them.

Ok...
If we stick to the idea of the so-called "Peaceville sound", there's the UK band The Drowning. Still a bit weepy, but it also shows a raw edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAkaKdMb50
and maybe the Irish Graveyard Dirt... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWFMNUfL3c

That's to get rid of that scene because, in fact, I guess you won't find any of these two sinister enough!

If that's the case, maybe give a try to Woebegone Obscured, raw, melodic, crushing, can be rather convoluted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZtPQP6vUw
Ophis also play brutal yet melodic death doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvFyvkwb89M
Dusk can be recommended too in the primitive, old-school (early 90's) sinister vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQmCBP4FRE

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm 

dayyanum wrote:
Hey all, need some recommendations.

Looking for some death doom somewhat like a really slowed down Grave or Bloodbath. Old school swedish death metal but really slow and groovy.

It seems like all of the death/doom I find is too far toward the 'moody' side of things, with gothic and/or sorrowful undertones.

Minor key, riff-based, slow doom with growled vocals basically.

Two recs:
The rather groovy Hooded Menace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f18C6qRYcjo

Then, the darker Runemagick (still the shadow of a groove in there, imo!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmBVvedz2I

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Ok...
If we stick to the idea of the so-called "Peaceville sound", there's the UK band The Drowning. Still a bit weepy, but it also shows a raw edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAkaKdMb50
and maybe the Irish Graveyard Dirt... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWFMNUfL3c

That's to get rid of that scene because, in fact, I guess you won't find any of these two sinister enough!

If that's the case, maybe give a try to Woebegone Obscured, raw, melodic, crushing, can be rather convoluted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZtPQP6vUw
Ophis also play brutal yet melodic death doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvFyvkwb89M
Dusk can be recommended too in the primitive, old-school (early 90's) sinister vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQmCBP4FRE
Thanks! I will check out those tomorrow. I guess that juxtaposition of beauty, crushing darkness and energetic but suffocating riffing is more important than the Peaceville style, as much as I like those mournful leads.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:01 am 

ok I've asked this question 3 times this week but I guess I finally found the right place to ask: if I were to get one Runemagick album, which would you suggest?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next