Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Phosphorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 am 

I did a search for a topic along these lines and did not find anything. If something has already been posted on this please direct me to that thread and lock this one.

That said I am looking for albums that have a building and controlled rage to them - the kind that only rears its head once or twice during the whole album but when it does it completely blows you away. A few examples of what I currently have in my collection:

Neurosis - the eye of every storm - this album is so subtle in most of its delivery, and most of the time it is very calm, but there are hints here and there that it could explode at any minute and when it finally does (the end of the title track, and the second half of Bridges) its immense.

Dolorian - Voidwards - this is the only experience I have with this band and I defiantly like what I hear. As with the Neurosis album most of the album is very calm, but there is a sense of foreboding like its hiding a deep dark secret, and when the growls finally do emerge the album really shines.

Axis of Perdition - Urfe – This album is probably one of my favorites in the last 5 years. It simply has one of the best atmospheres that I have ever heard, and the narrations only add to it. There is genuine dread, rage, hate, sorrow and minimal hope throughout the first disc and when the metal finally comes in the second disc it’s a columniation of everything that has been experienced to that point, truly excellent.

Cult of Luna - Salvation - this album manages the same type of atmosphere that "the eye of every storm" has, however not nearly to the level that Neurosis is able to pull it off.

With recommendations please don't just leave a band name - tell me why you think is good about it and what part portrays the sense of rage and foreboding. I really don't have any genre restrictions (non-metal rec's are also welcome). Thanks in advance.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 am 

Try the latest Process Of Guilt, Faemin. If you want some insight on why I think you'll like it you can read my review of it. :p

But to put it in a nutshell, it's the best album Neurosis never released.

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 am 

How Like A Winter - Beyond My Grey Wake. It's gothic/doom with a healthy amount of growling, but for an album with growling, this really isn't that "in your face". There are harsher moments, but they're still pretty calm. Then on the last song, "So Death Would Be Just A Bad Dream", it starts out normally, the normal guitars and passive atmosphere are there, and there is a point where it's pretty much just a piano, and a few keyboard strings. If you want foreboding, there you go. Then after that, the sound just explodes for a whole minute. The album finishes off with a few minutes of silence, followed by very calm music and some soft, almost haunting choirs. Creepy, really.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am 

Gigandhi

You can listen to them here

Pick a song, or start with their first album. They only have two albums, but they are both phenomenal.

They have this desolate industrial vibe: the guitars layered with effects and percussive-sounding riffs, with pounding tribal drums in the background. The vocalist alternates between a clean meditation chant to a full-on scream-off, unleashing all his stored rage. There's a Hindu vibe in the guitarwork on a few tracks from each album.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:26 am 

This is a very common thing in Post Rock and "Post Metal": a calm atmosphere and a crescendo that leads to very violent sections, and in some songs, goes back to the calm thing.

Fall of Efrafa's Elil is something you could enjoy; it's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯ A♯ ∞ (something you surely will like too), but it has some violent crust sections. Both albums are divided into three long songs with lots of very depressive calm section and sudden or building parts of rage that are very well crafted.

Amesoeurs' self titled it's other album you may like; it's like a mix between Joy Division and a black metal band: a lot of mellow, melodic (almost poppy) and atmospheric parts singed by a femenine voice, and some outbursts of black metal rage (blast beats, shrieks, tremolo riffing) in some sections. It's overall a very dark album, give it a try!

For the not metal thing, I can recommend you Elend's Les Ténèbres du Dehors (funny thing, they are in the archives!): it's a classical/opera album, with some heavy (in the classical sense of heavy, thing of Wagner) sections, in which the soprano femenine voice is the main thing you will hear... but some times, a male singer takes the lead and in a very interesting vocal approach for the genre: some kind of raspy black metal shriek, very creepy sounding!

You could also try Converge's Axe to Fall... not really a calm album, very violent indeed, but the last two songs are exactly what you may be looking for, really, really calm and a sudden display of rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpEF0QZe2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJNCjxfsPo

Hope you find any of this useful!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:50 pm 

Rosner wrote:
Fall of Efrafa's Elil is something you could enjoy; it's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯ A♯ ∞ (something you surely will like too), but it has some violent crust sections. Both albums are divided into three long songs with lots of very depressive calm section and sudden or building parts of rage that are very well crafted.

I cannot second both of these albums enough, even though I wouldn't necessarily consider F♯ A♯ ∞ something that fits this criteria perfectly, nonetheless, both of these albums are masterpieces.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Phosphorus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:35 pm 

Going down the list:

Process of Guilt: Some of this album is what I am looking for... but too much of it is too in your face, not enough subtle moments. Good music though... will probably pick this album up at some point.

How Like a Winter: I've had this album for several years and for some reason just have never gotten into it. I'll revisit it though since its been about 2-3 years since I tried listening to it.

Gigandhi: not exactly what I am looking for but defiantly something I am interested in listening to more of... unique in more than one way, I love the interplay of the tribal and industrial elements, haven't really heard that before.

Converge: I have all of their albums except Axe to Fall... the one with Steve Von Till is exactly what I am looking for. Very calm and brooding then just an explosion of emotion at the end.

Amesoeurs: had this album for a while too... never really cared for it except for a few select tracks... wish they would either do a full fusion of the styles or just drop one of them... the post punk thing doesn't do much for me.

Fall of Efrafa: See How Like a Winter Response.

Post metal in general: I've been following the genre for a little while now... some of it is done very well, while other parts just falls flat on its face. Neurosis, Isis and Cult of Luna are defiantly a the top of this genre for me.

Elend: This stuff is just great... I wish I had known about them sooner. Somewhat reminds me of mid 80's Dead Can Dance.

Godspeed: these guys are just awesome, been listening to them for years now.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Edit: Several responses for clarity.

Reply to topic