Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ReturnToFlesh84
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:56 am 

I have been finding myself some new bands recently and would like more. I find that the "similar" bands on specific band pages on here don't really tend to be too accurate in most cases. So I turn to you all. I hate to nitpick, but I cannot stand it when an album or band has shitty recording quality, so please try and keep it to bands that have a nice, clear sound. It doesn't have to be perfect, just not like it was recorded in a garbage can. I'll also list the top 5 bands, in order of which I consider them the best for each genre to give you a better idea of the styles I like.

Thrash -

1. Demolition Hammer
2. Morbid Saint
3. Angelus Apatrida
4. Torture Squad
5. Destruction

Melodic Death Metal

1. Insomnium
2. Dagon (Terraphobic album)
3. Omnium Gatherum
4. Be'Lakor
5. Amon Amarth

Melodic Metal/Folk

1. In Flames (Clayman and prior)
2. Battlesoul
3. Suidakra
4. Callenish Circle
5. Sunless Rise

Black Metal - My experience with black metal has not been too good. Feel free to recommend some though. I find that I really like Abyssos, Midvinter and Keep Of Kalessin, some Immortal.

I do however, really like Black Thrash. Blackened Thrash. Whatever. Bands like Rimfrost, Windir, Byfrost, Skeletonwitch. Gimme a lot of those styles. Especially bands like Skeletonwitch. I have an unhealthy obsession with them at the moment.

Power Metal - Another neglected genre. But I'd list Mid-years Helloween, White Skull, Brainstorm, 3 Inches Of Blood, and maybe Sabaton.

Death Metal - I have enough Death Metal to listen to that it could drown an elephant, but whatever.

1. Old Cryptopsy
2. Defeated Sanity
3. Beyond Creation
4. Bolt Thrower
5. Morbid Angel

That should do it for the most part.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:17 am 

ReturnToFlesh84 wrote:
a nice, clear sound.
Melodic Death Metal
5. Amon Amarth

Melodic Metal/Folk

Svartsot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hplvu3DAymI

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:10 am 

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with many of the bands that you listed, but I could give you some recommendations. They may not be the most accurate though.

Black Metal:

If you like good production quality, you'll probably dislike a lot of earlier stuff. I'd recommend the Crimson Moonlight albums The Covenant Progress and Veil of Remembrance. The former is a bit symphonic but very melodic, and the latter is pretty good black/death, so you may enjoy both of them a lot. I recommend Sanctifica's first album, Spirit of Purity, and also anything that Grave Declaration has done. Antestor's newest album you may also enjoy.

As for the black/thrash thing, you might enjoy Divulgence, as they are black/death/thrash.

Melodic Metal/Folk:

Can't really think of a whole lot for this, but I guess it's worth giving some of Eluveitie's earlier work a shot. And also the Holy Blood album Waves are Dancing.

That's about it. One melodic death metal band that I like is Recreate the Sun, but I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy that because of all the djent and electronic elements.
and the veil was rent
come brother partake
in the sacred remembrance

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:38 am 

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.